• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

I was half-expecting a $500 Sentinel with more features, such as a chest compartment to place captured mutants into.  Still wish they had done that, but I'm sure they wouldn't have sold as many at that price.

I bet they come out with accessory packs for him like Hot Toys does for their figures.  Repulsor beams, more battle damage, a female Sentinel Prime (the Primes are humans converted to Sentinels so they can be either gender), a Wolverine blasted down to an adamantium skeleton as shown in X-Men 142 in "Days of Future Past," or a dozen other options one could brainstorm.

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I was half-expecting a $500 Sentinel with more features, such as a chest compartment to place captured mutants into.  Still wish they had done that, but I'm sure they wouldn't have sold as many at that price.

I bet they come out with accessory packs for him like Hot Toys does for their figures.  Repulsor beams, more battle damage, a female Sentinel Prime (the Primes are humans converted to Sentinels so they can be either gender), a Wolverine blasted down to an adamantium skeleton as shown in X-Men 142 in "Days of Future Past," or a dozen other options one could brainstorm.

I was just telling another board member that I expect that Wolverine Skeleton or some version of a DOFP Wolverine to be either the 9000 incentive or one of the add ons. 

There is already a precedent of a separate accessory pack.  They are doing that with Transformers where it includes extra weapons, roller for Optimus prime... things like that. 

13 hours ago, srezvan said:

I'm still contemplating the $350 Sentinel, but I acquired this today as part of a trade locally:

20200712_161039.thumb.jpg.5e25180203b42642df0ad6f69b1f1180.jpg

I still love that guy.  There were four different versions released, and the first three are compared here:

http://www.onepercase.net/2012/02/marvel-universe-masterworks-sentinel.html

That page was written back in 2012 when three versions had been released, but a fourth one was released in 2018 as an Amazon-exclusive "Days of Future Past" set that included a larger 6" Wolverine figure.  That newest one had the worst paint deco as none of the wires in the wrists or ankles had silver paint like yours or the other two.

Yours is the second version that the guy at the site above claims was the one sold in retail brick-and-mortar stores.  I have the third version that's mostly purple that was sold only online.  I learned about all four prior to buying and intentionally went for the third version because I liked the paint the best.  All four versions are functionally the same with only paint applications differing.

I still love everything about this Sentinel--particularly the lights and sounds, with the sounds being surprisingly good--except one thing, the T-joint hips where you have to rotate the hip ball to control the angle the legs swivel outwards at.  Swiveling that T-joint is a ROYAL pain in the rear.  Hasbro used to regularly use T-joint hips up until five years ago; no figure molds they've created since then have that style of hip joint.  They've released figures since 2015 with T-joint hips, but those figures have all been based upon molds created before 2015.  I expect that the new Sentinel won't have that type of hip, and I'm quite glad.

If you buy the new Sentinel you could still use it with an army of these 16" Sentinels by just making the Haslab version a Master Mold since he comes with a head for that Sentinel.  Master Mold was a Sentinel that could create other Sentinels.  He was bigger than the others and had a different head and a few other style differences, but other than that he mostly looked like other Sentinels.

Edited by fantastic_four

15 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

They revealed the third stretch goal this morning, and they're only about 100 backers from hitting it--a female Sentinel Prime.  Makes perfect sense since it's sort of army-buildable if you buy multiple Sentinels, although having them all with the same hair seems weird.

They posted on Instagram last night that they're considering more stretch goals beyond the third one.  I bet they do it.

lighter

Edited by fantastic_four

One more thing about the Marvel Universe Sentinel--the first version of both him and the Marvel Universe Galactus--which is even better than the Sentinel and WELL worth getting--were first sold at San Diego Comic-Con in 2010 on HUGE blister cards, but with no packed-in figure (Galactus came with a 3.75" Silver Surfer at retail).  Those massive blister cards look super-cool, and anyone who enjoys having packaged figures as art deco and likes either of these characters would do well to snag one in the blister since they dwarf every other blistered figure I've ever seen.  I don't have one of either on the blister but I've considered it many times.

marvel_universe_galactus_sentinel_sdcc_e

And a last note about the Marvel Universe Galactus--he's one of my three favorite action figures ever, LOVE LOVE LOVE that guy.  The voices he says when you press the G on his chest are super-fun too, EXTREMELY well-written and voice-acted, and are demonstrated below.  He shares a lot of parts with the Sentinel, and while his head is at the same level as the Sentinel his tall hat increases his height from the Sentinel's 16" to about 19.5".  My display cases have adjustable-height shelves, and I had to do multiple adjustments to get someone as big as him to fit in them.

Edited by fantastic_four

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

One more thing about the Marvel Universe Sentinel--the first version of both him and the Marvel Universe Galactus--which is even better than the Sentinel and WELL worth getting--were first sold at San Diego Comic-Con in 2010 on HUGE blister cards, but with no packed-in figure (Galactus came with a 3.75" Silver Surfer at retail).  Those massive blister cards look super-cool, and anyone who enjoys having packaged figures as art deco and likes either of these characters would do well to snag one in the blister since they dwarf every other blistered figure I've ever seen.  I don't have one of either on the blister but I've considered it many times.

I can’t remember how much these were?

14 hours ago, reptilekingdie said:

Ordered 2 of the sentinels, but fall 2021. Hate waiting 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to order at least five, but I'm not doing it until near the end to give me time to mull it over and see how big their total production run will be.  It's possible they end up making so many that resale ends up becoming difficult, although I doubt that will happen.  I already know I want at least three for myself, but if they add more battle damage features I could potentially end up wanting more.

23 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I can’t remember how much these were?

I don't even know, but I believe the retail figures were $60, so I'm guessing that's what they cost at SDCC, or possibly less since they had no pack-in figure like the retail versions had.  These days last I checked they sell for $150 to $250 in the blister.

They need an updated Galactus 36 inches tall.

It's DEFINITELY going to happen since the Sentinel has been such a massive hit.  There is no other Haslab project that would sell as well as a big Galactus, although he won't sell as well as the Sentinel since you can't army-build him.  But they can go more all-out on him and make him packed with features to cost $500 to $700.

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to order at least five, but I'm not doing it until near the end to give me time to mull it over and see how big their total production run will be.  It's possible they end up making so many that resale ends up becoming difficult, although I doubt that will happen.  I already know I want at least three for myself, but if they add more battle damage features I could potentially end up wanting more.

I might add 1 or 2 more to my collection :banana:

Don't know if anyone here is collecting, but I started a Video Game Collecting as Collectibles thread over in the WC.

Between the big Heritage results and the WATA similarities to CGC I wondered if anyone else was getting into it....

Back to the toys!