• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

And last but certainly not least, my remaining toy grail!

Earlier in the year, I picked up the Alien Blaster set, which was my #1 want.

Now I have my #2, a complete Kenner Alien!

These aren't actually rare (you can find several on eBay on any given day) but they ARE tough to find in really nice shape, with the instructions and a decent box at a price that isn't more than my monthly mortgage.

This one fit the bill. I was very surprised to see it. Got it from the same guy I bought the Jaws from. Just such a lovely piece.

A lot of the time you find these with cracked (or missing) domes, chrome on the teeth is chipped, or limbs have fallen off due to the string inside breaking. But this thing is cherry. So gorgeous. The box is fair, but it's all there and solid, so I'm pleased. The poster/instructions are similarly nice.

And there you have it! I spent way too much, but I'm very satisfied. Thanks for reading!

IMG_6551.JPG

IMG_6552.JPG

IMG_6554.JPG

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6556.JPG

IMG_6557.JPG

IMG_6561.JPG

Congratulations!

Slightly off topic, but not, I’m thinking about seeking out the Topps card set.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

All right, at long last, I'm ready to share my KYGiJoe fest haul! I'm sure you were all waiting with bated breath. Probably couldn't sleep well either, could ya?

As always, expect several long-winded posts. Feel free to skip to the pics.

SO, did I go to a toy show during a pandemic? The answer is yes, and I'm not proud of it, but here's why I went:

1. The organizers promised strict safety guidelines, including limiting entrance to half of the room capacity, mandatory masks for vendors and guests, hand sanitizing stations, and all of that stuff. And they stuck to it. It was all very well organized and they had full buy in from vendors and guests.

2. While this is a terrible thing that continues to rage on, our state has done relatively well from the onset, and our numbers are much better than neighboring states.The risk was relatively low.

3. We'd already paid for the table!

So, we sucked it up and set up at the show as planned, and feel like it was all handled really well. I'm fully aware that it wasn't perhaps the smartest choice, and I've placed myself back in self-quarantine for two weeks since we returned. So let me say that I'm not advocating for attending public gatherings, I don't think it was the smart move, but it's the move I made, so I'm living with it. My anxiety since we returned is such that I probably wouldn't make the decision to go if I did it all over again, but the truth is that everything is probably just fine.

So, public service announcement and justifications out of the way, let's get to the toys.

One of my oldest and dearest friends is a hardcore Joe guy, has been collecting pretty much his entire life. He has a more or less complete set of every figure and vehicle produced between 83 and 91 or so, with a select few pieces from the later years. He moved into his new house a couple of years ago, and finally finished setting up his dedicated GI Joe display, which is like a mini-museum.

But part of that process was deciding to let go of most of the stuff he'd picked up post 91, including the 25th anniversary figs, and lots of other random stuff. So we decided a long time ago to get a table, and he'd sell off his extras at the show, and whatever was left would go on eBay

I split the table with him in order to get the early admittance to the show, and have a nice spot to stash my buys. I brought a few token things for sale. I sold about $63 of stuff Saturday. He made about $4k. He was happy.

Before the show started, I picked up a bunch of his later stuff. I'd been picking at it slowly over the last few months, but this weekend I went ahead and picked up one last chunk. His prices were already well below market value (he just wanted the stuff gone) and he added a "best friends since we were 12 years old discount", so I got this stuff for a song. He knows he can come visit it whenever he likes.

First up, a complete set of the 1997 and 1998 TRU packs. No vehicles and no Stars and Stripes set, but everything else is here, and they are sharp. I always enjoyed this line. The 97 series had some cool re-decos, but the 98 series are some of the best repaints they ever did in the line. The Cobra Polar Force, Navy Assault, and Oktober Guard sets are particularly rad.

Next up, I picked up a smattering of his 25th figures. I'd already bought several over the last few months, so I went ahead and added more to the stack, including all of the convention exclusives and the Doc mailaway. I still don't love the body styles of these figures (those long, skinny torsos still look weird to me) but there's no denying that they look pretty neat on the card, particularly the foil ones.

IMG_6495.JPG

IMG_6496.JPG

IMG_6497.JPG

IMG_6498.JPG

IMG_6499.JPG

IMG_6500.JPG

IMG_6501.JPG

IMG_6502.JPG

IMG_6503.JPG

IMG_6504.JPG

IMG_6505.JPG

IMG_6506.JPG

IMG_6507.JPG

IMG_6508.JPG

IMG_6509.JPG

nice pick-ups! be careful with those TRU figs, the build quality and plastics have not held up as well the OG joes. i’ve had more than a few figs with arm joints separating and if the knees are frozen, the pegs tend to break.

that flight pod is a thing of beauty, just wish the stickers weren’t cheap paper ones.

22 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Terapeak shows that this sold for $450. But, still, this is an enormous price for a 12-back, especially one with a cracked bubble. I'd be euphoric if I was the seller.

9 hours ago, followtheleader said:

One of the Tiger Force looks like the Euro version. 

For me, the coop for those are the Skystriker head accessories.  I still need a couple myself. 

Patrick

Yes, Psych Out is a Euro figure. No as pricey as Outback, but still nice to have.

And yeah, he cut me a sweetheart deal on the set, so I was super stoked to get the complete Skystriker. Thanks can't believe how prices have gone up on some of this stuff.

9 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

Congratulations!

Slightly off topic, but not, I’m thinking about seeking out the Topps card set.

Thanks! The Topps set I still great, particularly the subset of stickers. They're not too terribly expensive either, to for it!

8 hours ago, kHAoS said:

nice pick-ups! be careful with those TRU figs, the build quality and plastics have not held up as well the OG joes. i’ve had more than a few figs with arm joints separating and if the knees are frozen, the pegs tend to break.

that flight pod is a thing of beauty, just wish the stickers weren’t cheap paper ones.

Thanks! Yes, they are much lighter/flimsier for sure. And not just the figures. In handling these I've been very cautious because it feels like bubbles are extremely thin and may pop right off of the card. Unfortunately none of this stuff was built to last.

Just now, Brandon Shepherd said:

Congratulations btw on your Best Fourmite honor, well deserved.

P.S. I’m also not on the Clone Wars wagon. :boo:

Oh... I thought Rebels was better than Clone Wars... especially seasons 3-4. 

Thank you though !  I think I might add that badge to the signature... 

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks! Yes, they are much lighter/flimsier for sure. And not just the figures. In handling these I've been very cautious because it feels like bubbles are extremely thin and may pop right off of the card. Unfortunately none of this stuff was built to last.

the bubble on my flight pod separated a few years ago and the mirage is hanging on for dear life. the bubbles are definitely thinner. great to see a fellow joe collector on the boards 👍

3 hours ago, kHAoS said:

the bubble on my flight pod separated a few years ago and the mirage is hanging on for dear life. the bubbles are definitely thinner. great to see a fellow joe collector on the boards 👍

There are a few of us for sure! Yeah, I think the Trouble Bubble and the Mirage are just too heavy for the bubbles they used, especially 20+ years after the fact.

23 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Next up, the Jaws Game! I had this as a kid, and have been looking for one for a while. They aren't hard to find, but are tough with all of the accessories and a nice box. This one has all of the junk parts, minus the hook. The shark itself isn't perfect, but nice enough. But the main reason I bought it was for this snowy white box. It's gorgeous.

IMG_6544.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG

IMG_6547.JPG

If you like jaws games check out the new one on sale at target...it is actually really good if you like to play a game with so many movie references. 

14 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Yes, Psych Out is a Euro figure. No as pricey as Outback, but still nice to have.

And yeah, he cut me a sweetheart deal on the set, so I was super stoked to get the complete Skystriker. Thanks can't believe how prices have gone up on some of this stuff.

Oh damn!  I wrote coop.  :roflmao:

I actually found a small Joe collection tonight.  Have to go thru it this weekend. 

Pretty cheap and a couple nice straight arms.  

Seriously never hurts to ask if the person has more they'd like to sell. 

Patrick

I mentioned a while back about having an idea for a toy topic. Here it is.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/473011-remembering-your-first-or-favorite-toy-store-and-the-items-they-sold/

I didn't want to get the stories mixed up with the pick up talk here.

Edited by GeneticNinja

On 7/27/2020 at 8:33 AM, jason4 said:

Btw very disappointed with the target gi joe fiasco. The exclusive gi Joe's sold out in 15 or less seconds to bots. Was hoping to get the amazing baroness figure. Will have to wait because I refuse to pay scalpers the triple asking price. 

On 7/27/2020 at 10:24 AM, F For Fake said:

Definitely don't pay scalper prices, these are probably going to be plentiful in store. Street date is 8/14, but some folks are already finding them. There are several pics in the FB groups of peg after peg of the figures. Some have been able to purchase, some say their Targets are sticking to the street dates. But I don't think supply is going to be an issue with these. Good luck!

The G.I. Joe Classifed and other exclusive figures are a mess to me. I'm not crazy about the Classified line. I do like the artwork on some like Scarlett and the newly revealed Baroness. Craig Drake drew a Jem illustration that I'll attempt to find to post. I think it's a gif or short movie though so we'll see if it works here. But he did this Aeon Flux illustration as well.

1698012008_aeonfluxcraigdrake.jpg.7dde19221f78c1e8c7088801fcbca539.jpg

But why are they making these possibly limited and store exclusive? I remember the times of going to Toys R Us and I don't think it was difficult to get any figure. If it was sold out, it would be there in the next week or so. I'm fairly certain that you could have purchased a whole line up at once. I know it was rare that I only purchased one figure. I probably picked up a bunch at a time close to winter holidays. The price for the Baroness with bike on ebay is crazy. I don't like the bike much at all. But if people are willing to pay ebay price for that, then they should have purchased the old Sideshow Baroness 1/6 figure.

436538593_BaronessSideshowFigure.jpg.1b7917d0663d4ded7fc2c0de48f10290.jpg

Perhaps if more purchased that one, Sideshow would have made a Scarlett 1/6 figure. Which still upsets me that they couldn't make that one. How do you make Baroness and no Scarlett? But then Prime 1 Studio did the opposite. Make Scarlett and no Baroness statue. Prime 1 Studio even made a Destro statue.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:40 PM, F For Fake said:

Thanks! And yeah, Zartan is great! As a kid I thought it was so cool that you got the figure, and you got a vehicle and accessories too, plus he changed color in the sun! What's cooler than that when you're 7 years old? 

I still have my original Zartan figure and bike. I remember I had to get that figure when I saw the commercial. I thought the idea of a figure that could change color was the coolest thing ever. I might get this Sideshow Zartan vs Flint. I probably don't like it enough which is why I didn't get it originally.

2086349295_zartanvsflint.jpg.0d59e1ed8f9ef6b99d982ee0c5b0ca26.jpg

16 hours ago, jason4 said:

If you like jaws games check out the new one on sale at target...it is actually really good if you like to play a game with so many movie references. 

I’ve got it! Now I just have to convince the wife to play it with me since we can’t have friends over. I’m patiently awaiting the day!

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I’ve got it! Now I just have to convince the wife to play it with me since we can’t have friends over. I’m patiently awaiting the day!

Lol my wife wont play either but luckily I have a 9 year old boy I play with and let win even though the entire game I have him convinced hes losing.  

Edited by jason4

14 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

The G.I. Joe Classifed and other exclusive figures are a mess to me. I'm not crazy about the Classified line. I do like the artwork on some like Scarlett and the newly revealed Baroness. Craig Drake drew a Jem illustration that I'll attempt to find to post. I think it's a gif or short movie though so we'll see if it works here. But he did this Aeon Flux illustration as well.

1698012008_aeonfluxcraigdrake.jpg.7dde19221f78c1e8c7088801fcbca539.jpg

But why are they making these possibly limited and store exclusive? I remember the times of going to Toys R Us and I don't think it was difficult to get any figure. If it was sold out, it would be there in the next week or so. I'm fairly certain that you could have purchased a whole line up at once. I know it was rare that I only purchased one figure. I probably picked up a bunch at a time close to winter holidays. The price for the Baroness with bike on ebay is crazy. I don't like the bike much at all. But if people are willing to pay ebay price for that, then they should have purchased the old Sideshow Baroness 1/6 figure.

436538593_BaronessSideshowFigure.jpg.1b7917d0663d4ded7fc2c0de48f10290.jpg

Perhaps if more purchased that one, Sideshow would have made a Scarlett 1/6 figure. Which still upsets me that they couldn't make that one. How do you make Baroness and no Scarlett? But then Prime 1 Studio did the opposite. Make Scarlett and no Baroness statue. Prime 1 Studio even made a Destro statue.

I still have my original Zartan figure and bike. I remember I had to get that figure when I saw the commercial. I thought the idea of a figure that could change color was the coolest thing ever. I might get this Sideshow Zartan vs Flint. I probably don't like it enough which is why I didn't get it originally.

2086349295_zartanvsflint.jpg.0d59e1ed8f9ef6b99d982ee0c5b0ca26.jpg

I dont understand it much either but my guess is they want to create more hype around the line but I see it as alienating fans and pushing them away. 150.00 for a 40.00 figure and bike is a tough one. I bet they will re release her without the bike anyway but there's alot of FOMO out there. 

The only GI Joe set that could have been made sooooooo much better... is one of the few things I would love to see them make with my guidance (of course.)

They had a set of Zartan morphing into Hawk that was the most half essed parts swap I have ever seen.  Considering that it is done in some really questionable colors... It could have been so much better. 

So first... here is the sequence I am talking about that comes from the comics.  I actually stumbled upon the art at NYCC and bought it on the spot from Bechara back in 2018. I think they thought it was part of the later run at issue 80 but it was from issue 30. 

image.png.fdb311aa2162d07d698bcf71ebdaf3e8.png

This is what Hasbro did for Joe Con.

image.thumb.png.3187dd25f593d30203b8294cfdc6bd90.png

Would it kill someone to make an actual morphing Zartan / Hawk where it is more than a parts swap?  Granted all you have to do in the three figure set... is create one new figure... the other two can be something like they other two on the sides in 'normal' colors... 

But the middle 'mid-transformation' figure could be so much more.

How much does this set seem to run btw?  Around $250-$350... 

I think someone out there can do better... rant over.