• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

I know this thread is more about sharing acquisitions but I hope it’s alright if I ask a question. Hopefully someone will know. 

Way back when I was in high school I bought a book called Space Adventure Collectibles, which I still have it’s just packed away right now. 

Anyway, in the Space: 1999 section there is a photo from what I assume is a Mattel dealer catalog that shows the 3 figures of Koenig, Russell and Bergman along with an alien called a Zython. 

I don’t remember if the book directly states it or not, it’s not handy where I can check, but somewhere along the line I got the impression the Zython was never produced. I don’t recall if I actually read that anywhere or just assumed it since the alien isn’t pictured on the back of the U.S. card. 

Flash forward:  a couple of months ago while doing my routine Space: 1999 search on eBay I spotted a listing for what claims to be the Zython. It was incomplete without uniform or the staff pictured in the dealer catalog. I suspected that it might be a custom figure being passed off as original. 

Since then I’ve seen about a half dozen of these pop up, some with the uniform and some without, never with the staff. This is the latest one:

181C1AE9-CCA4-4099-B716-31BAC9091CDE.jpeg.3fc7f2a05346eb3a69eb984949189c6e.jpeg

There always from a non-U.S. country which could make sense, could be like the 3 3/4” ST: TMP alien figures. But it also sends up some red flags. I would never risk the money they are asking. 

It just seems odd that I’ve never seen these before in all my years of searching ‘99 stuff and then suddenly within a couple of months several of these pop up. 

Does anyone know if these are legit?

32 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I know this thread is more about sharing acquisitions but I hope it’s alright if I ask a question. Hopefully someone will know. 

Way back when I was in high school I bought a book called Space Adventure Collectibles, which I still have it’s just packed away right now. 

Anyway, in the Space: 1999 section there is a photo from what I assume is a Mattel dealer catalog that shows the 3 figures of Koenig, Russell and Bergman along with an alien called a Zython. 

I don’t remember if the book directly states it or not, it’s not handy where I can check, but somewhere along the line I got the impression the Zython was never produced. I don’t recall if I actually read that anywhere or just assumed it since the alien isn’t pictured on the back of the U.S. card. 

Flash forward:  a couple of months ago while doing my routine Space: 1999 search on eBay I spotted a listing for what claims to be the Zython. It was incomplete without uniform or the staff pictured in the dealer catalog. I suspected that it might be a custom figure being passed off as original. 

Since then I’ve seen about a half dozen of these pop up, some with the uniform and some without, never with the staff. This is the latest one:

181C1AE9-CCA4-4099-B716-31BAC9091CDE.jpeg.3fc7f2a05346eb3a69eb984949189c6e.jpeg

There always from a non-U.S. country which could make sense, could be like the 3 3/4” ST: TMP alien figures. But it also sends up some red flags. I would never risk the money they are asking. 

It just seems odd that I’ve never seen these before in all my years of searching ‘99 stuff and then suddenly within a couple of months several of these pop up. 

Does anyone know if these are legit?

This guy says that they mainly popped up in Germany...   Might be legit... they were released albeit not widely distributed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbOkNDBhrJU

The figure appeared later in the Big Jim line with a different outfit... 

So that would be why you see some without the clothes... 

http://megomuseum.com/community/showthread.php?120223-The-Zython-from-Mattel-s-Space-1999-line

Edited by Buzzetta

13 hours ago, jason4 said:

I dont understand it much either but my guess is they want to create more hype around the line but I see it as alienating fans and pushing them away. 150.00 for a 40.00 figure and bike is a tough one. I bet they will re release her without the bike anyway but there's alot of FOMO out there. 

What's FOMO?

I hate all the sell out hype stuff on the forums. I saw a youtube video with a guy talking about how he missed the pre-order. It's like the old days of attempting to get Mondo Tees posters. But I don't know how they can do a pre-order that sells out. I guess I'm used to the old days of pre-order meaning a company would take all the orders for people that wanted the item early. Not take limited orders. I did think a separate Baroness would come out from a post on Craig Drake's Facebook about the preview artwork. But I thought they would have shown it by now.

Episode 5 

Toy store in Japan

Very different from the previous 4.  Interesting to learn about entirely different toys.  Some are super creepy (like the Christina Ricci "babies"). 

Reading the captions can be somewhat distracting from seeing the toys.  But you'll get used to it pretty quickly. 

Patrick

10 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

31F6ECED-A687-406B-92A8-415E746FA430.jpeg

Wow, you're really army-building those.  How many Target trips did that take?

Just watched a review of this guy.  He looks great...I may get a few and use them as goons to mix in with Hydra or AIM soldiers in Marvel displays.  I loved Joe as a kid and had everything from the early 80s, but I'm not into military stuff anymore.  But it's easy to fudge Joes in as members of SHIELD or HYDRA for Marvel collections.  That's what I'm doing with Snake Eyes already.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:37 AM, miraclemet said:

With the popularity of Nintendo (and retro gaming) and Lego this was a no brainer buy this morning Screenshot_20200801-103515.thumb.png.1ebff7b71368785c78752bf147c588d0.png

This sold out quick. Seems anything cool and 80s does these days. I love that you turn a crank and mario moves across the lego screen on the old school tv. Such a cool set. 

On 7/31/2020 at 6:13 PM, Buzzetta said:

The only GI Joe set that could have been made sooooooo much better... is one of the few things I would love to see them make with my guidance (of course.)

They had a set of Zartan morphing into Hawk that was the most half essed parts swap I have ever seen.  Considering that it is done in some really questionable colors... It could have been so much better. 

So first... here is the sequence I am talking about that comes from the comics.  I actually stumbled upon the art at NYCC and bought it on the spot from Bechara back in 2018. I think they thought it was part of the later run at issue 80 but it was from issue 30. 

image.png.fdb311aa2162d07d698bcf71ebdaf3e8.png

This is what Hasbro did for Joe Con.

image.thumb.png.3187dd25f593d30203b8294cfdc6bd90.png

Would it kill someone to make an actual morphing Zartan / Hawk where it is more than a parts swap?  Granted all you have to do in the three figure set... is create one new figure... the other two can be something like they other two on the sides in 'normal' colors... 

But the middle 'mid-transformation' figure could be so much more.

How much does this set seem to run btw?  Around $250-$350... 

I think someone out there can do better... rant over. 

My buddy had one of those Morphing Zartan sets for sale at the show. Lots of folks asked if they could just buy the Hawk to put in their Tiger Force display, but he didn’t want to break up the set.  I think he was asking $250. 

10 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

My buddy had one of those Morphing Zartan sets for sale at the show. Lots of folks asked if they could just buy the Hawk to put in their Tiger Force display, but he didn’t want to break up the set.  I think he was asking $250. 

Even then I don't know if that is a $100 figure.   

The entire body is a resuse of the Hawk v5 from the Soundfighters... 

The legs are a different color... 

So... they could always buy another Tiger Force figure and do a parts swap.   

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah, definitely not worth it to me, and no one bit on the set either, so I'm not sure what demand there is for the set regardless of the "market value." He sold nearly everything else he brought, the rest went on eBay. I'll have to follow up and see if those sold.

Also, following up on my previous JLU post, if anyone can identify these parts, I'd be much obliged!

IMG_1142.JPG

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Confirmed, he sold his set for $255. He’d listed as an auction starting at $325 and it didn’t sell, as two more were listed around the same time. Relisted at $255 and it sold a day later. So I guess someone out there likes it, but it’s not for me!

11 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Also, I picked this thing up this weekend. On the Joe FB groups I'd seen several guys post that they'd just walked out of the store with these displays. I'm not quite that bold. This weekend we were passing through a nearby town on the way to the lake, and we stopped at the Walmart to pick up some supplies. Sure enough, they had this Classified display with a lone Duke figure. I wasn't going to just grab it, but there were employees restocking shelves in the toy aisle so I asked them, if I bought the last figure, would it be ok if I took the display? They said sure, that it was the last figure, and it would just be thrown away otherwise. They said that if they got more figures to sell, they'd arrive in the same cardboard shipper at the store, so they wouldn't need two. I also verified with the cashier that it was ok to take it. So here it is! I wasn't planning on collecting this line, but now that I have the shipper I must admit it'd look pretty nice all filled up!

IMG_1140.JPG

That is awesome. I got to try that. Havent seen one yet.