• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,325 posts in this topic

@Yorick (Sorry I thought I quoted you)

Each slide loads into the tray... one at a time. So I have to remove the slide from the metal 1970's individual slide holder, put the slide in the tray, slide it into the scanner and hit save.   Take the tray out, remove slide.  Start over.  It's not so bad saving it to a SanDisk Micro Super thingy drive as once the box it full I remove it and put it on a folder in my desktop named after whatever the box was.  Then I have to make adjustments like rotate certain images. 

It's tedious but mechanical. 

The trick is where I am going to put this.  I wanted something on Facebook that I could create dedicated albums like on a personal page.  Unfortunately that is not possible in 'groups'.  I want them to be organized so the entire family both close and distant can see them.  

First Box done... my parents 1973 visit to Florence with my grandmother and grandfather and my Aunt... this was before I was born so some of this is kind of interesting. 

As I do this I cannot help but wonder what my grandfather must have been thinking as he went through Europe with them considering he had been there thirty years prior when it was not considered a vacation. 

Edited by Buzzetta

19 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

@Yorick (Sorry I thought I quoted you)

Each slide loads into the tray... one at a time. So I have to remove the slide from the metal 1970's individual slide holder, put the slide in the tray, slide it into the scanner and hit save.   Take the tray out, remove slide.  Start over.  It's not so bad saving it to a SanDisk Micro Super thingy drive as once the box it full I remove it and put it on a folder in my desktop named after whatever the box was.  Then I have to make adjustments like rotate certain images. 

It's tedious but mechanical. 

The trick is where I am going to put this.  I wanted something on Facebook that I could create dedicated albums like on a personal page.  Unfortunately that is not possible in 'groups'.  I want them to be organized so the entire family both close and distant can see them.  

First Box done... my parents 1973 visit to Florence with my grandmother and grandfather and my Aunt... this was before I was born so some of this is kind of interesting. 

As I do this I cannot help but wonder what my grandfather must have been thinking as he went through Europe with them considering he had been there thirty years prior when it was not considered a vacation. 

I did several hundred negatives from the 40's and 50's that a family member had dug out.  I scanned slides from my uncle's time in Vietnam in the 60's.  I certainly understand some of the frustrations.  However, with the flatbed scanner I have, I am able to lay down 10 slides at a time for scanning (or maybe 5 of those old negatives - they are larger).  Photoshop or another image editing tool is essential for the "after" scanning adjustments.

In the end, I burnt them all to CD/DVD to give to my relatives or keep them on flashdrives for myself.  I am hesitant to let a third party (Facebook etc) "hold" my files.

Just now, Yorick said:

I did several hundred negatives from the 40's and 50's that a family member had dug out.  I scanned slides from my uncle's time in Vietnam in the 60's.  I certainly understand some of the frustrations.  However, with the flatbed scanner I have, I am able to lay down 10 slides at a time for scanning (or maybe 5 of those old negatives - they are larger).  Photoshop or another image editing tool is essential for the "after" scanning adjustments.

In the end, I burnt them all to CD/DVD to give to my relatives or keep them on flashdrives for myself.  I am hesitant to let a third party (Facebook etc) "hold" my files.

I am 550+ files in using the Kodak Scanza... I actually like now that I have gotten the hang of it. 

The idea is to figure out a way to create a family group only facebook page and to upload them into albums so the remaining members of the family can comment and reminisce in photos of their choice.  Originally I was going to create a group but I cannot seem to have dedicated albums.  Then I thought about a fan page but that was too public.  So, as of now... I am going to create a personal page for my deceased Grandmother and Grandfather as if they were alive so facebook does not knock it out... and then keep it private until Christmas when I can then invite all remaining family members to become friends with them.   I will be distributing compilations of the raw files in the end.

As far as touchups go... they can do what they want... I am not going to make them perfect save perhaps a few of them.  This is incredibly tedious.   

My dad is in on this as we have to kind of gaslight my mom into thinking she threw out their personal slides if she notices that I removed them.

I think there are only a couple of thousand to go lol 

On 9/3/2020 at 6:13 PM, followtheleader said:

Deluxe Insecticon 3

Barrage

My 1st for this TF.

Legs and horns break easily.

Short shout out to my sweet little man that passed last week.  Miss you!

Patrick

20200829_162644.jpg

20200829_162658.jpg

20200829_162734.jpg

20200829_162813.jpg

20200829_162835.jpg

20200830_134250.jpg

Very sorry for your loss, Patrick. I know it's part of the bargain we make by letting these fur babies into our lives, but it doesn't make it any easier to say goodbye. Take care. 

Thanks for all the kind words and PMs from everybody.  

He was the best.  I know many have gone thru it, just the worst when that clock finally ticks midnight. 
Have to admit, it's been a small relief to see his pic pop up on occasion. 

Patrick

I need this... need one by Christmas.  Anyone recognize it? 

This picture is from 1971. the first Christmas that my parents spent togther... it was one of the first things my parents got for Christmas... they have a thing with frogs... they think they are cute. 

I think I want one to give them one when they find out about me putting everything to digital.

I would like this to be in the physical gift with directions to the facebook page / or whatever platform I decide to use. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 7.37.54 PM.png

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I need this... need one by Christmas.  Anyone recognize it? 

This picture is from 1971. the first Christmas that my parents spent togther... it was one of the first things my parents got for Christmas... they have a thing with frogs... they think they are cute. 

I think I want one to give them one when they find out about me putting everything to digital.

I would like this to be in the physical gift with directions to the facebook page / or whatever platform I decide to use. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 7.37.54 PM.png

@Robot Man buzzetta are you wondering what it's called to be able to find one?

Wish you the best, that's a lot of work ^^ maybe robot man will know :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I underestimate myself...

Frisky the Frog made by Fisher Price. 

My dad knows what I am doing and he said the name was Hoppy the Frog or Happy the Frog... but no knowledge of who made it or how long it was around. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Just now, Buzzetta said:

I underestimate myself...

Frizzy the Frog made by Fisher Price. 

My dad knows what I am doing and he said the name was Hoppy the Frog or Happy the Frog... but no knowledge of who made it or how long it was around. 

Awesome! I have parents on the mend right now, so let it be known that you're an inspiration :foryou:

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Buzzetta There are 2 on ebay right now.

just type in" vintage fisher price frog yellow " they will come up

Edited by Comics4All

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Currently making sure that they work... i messaged sellers lol 

Did you find those before I did? I hope they work for you.

I never saw that frog before & I thought I had all the cool Fisher Price toys!

I think my favorite was the castle !

In transit... $30 + shipping.  I might keep the snoopy one for myself and sell off the Jalopy to offset the cost.   I think it will clean up nicely.  I need to remove the dark spots on the tongue with a q-tip and some soap and water.   The important thing was that it worked.  This seller made me a decent offer and guaranteed that it worked... so I can take care of the rest.  On top of that, the box was in excellent shape.

image.thumb.png.7d1235d955d89878f6df3e38e52c49eb.pngimage.thumb.png.06a5b9dd59b80d21e5de34406ef23d93.png 

Edited by Buzzetta

21 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

In transit... $30 + shipping.  I might keep the snoopy one for myself and sell off the Jalopy to offset the cost.   I think it will clean up nicely.  I need to remove the dark spots on the tongue with a q-tip and some soap and water.   The important thing was that it worked.  This seller made me a decent offer and guaranteed that it worked... so I can take care of the rest.  On top of that, the box was in excellent shape.

image.thumb.png.7d1235d955d89878f6df3e38e52c49eb.pngimage.thumb.png.06a5b9dd59b80d21e5de34406ef23d93.png 

Congrats!

It's funny, I thought I never saw that frog in my life, but I know I had Snoopy, and I may have had the frog  too!

The yellow bulb looks kinda familiar....

That Jalopy with the clown is scary! Glad I never had that!