• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, wormboy said:

CE01C7DB-01F2-428B-A72D-AE1644E508B4.thumb.jpeg.de794d894ea5eab5de6e24f620cc5dab.jpeg5877BFA7-5457-48F8-81F6-B963BF7E3AFB.thumb.jpeg.1dd4e11ac8ca81f64d3c773ea2688823.jpeg5288752A-1101-4E8F-90D6-D8D1D0973F2F.thumb.jpeg.e71e6bcaf96a25675a78c5b259e6b88c.jpeg

Man, I loved this one as a kid. Took it and the Spider-Mobile everywhere. Beautiful colors on the card here!

7 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I couldnt not buy it. 

Harry Potter was a HUGE thing for my daughter, and now she's starting to out grow it (11 YO tweener now) so Diagon alley makes me nostalgic for those trips to Wizarding World in Orlando.. *sigh*

124090546_diagonalley.JPG.8a7f7875a97b3566101b0a23dc935581.JPG

I watched the review... it is fantastic how they designed it.  The buildings match up being placed face to face and also back to back.  I wanted to get Mos Eisley but... the reviews have not made it seem like it's something must be picked up.  I think I want that Haunted Mansion.   This set is just jaw dropping.  Nice pickup. 

4 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Whats up with the 75 in the corner?  Number in the corgi line?  75 cents/pence, year of release?

Patrick

Not sure - but the date was 1978. Possibly the price as you mention. Maybe one of our UK friends knows?

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I watched the review... it is fantastic how they designed it.  The buildings match up being placed face to face and also back to back.  I wanted to get Mos Eisley but... the reviews have not made it seem like it's something must be picked up.  I think I want that Haunted Mansion.   This set is just jaw dropping.  

Im hoping it does well enough to get a new Gringots made that will fit in with it along with a few more shops. 

Gonna save this one for Christmas time to do as a family.

35 minutes ago, Skunkboy said:

Hi all,

Not super knowledgeable with toy collecting, and would love any insight.  I have a few original carded Star Wars figs that I'm thinking of sending in for grading.  I've had these packed away for 25+ years, and frankly didn't store them as well as I should have, as all of them now have pretty significant yellowing to the bubbles.  I'm not sure that they're worth a ton, but I'd love to have them graded so I can display them and protect them properly moving forward.  A few questions:

1- Is AFA the best option? Would there be any reason to consider another service?

2 - Is there any sort of cleaning or prepping that I should look into before submitting?  A few of the cards, the Bossk in particular, have some bowing which looks like it could be flattened out.  Not sure this is possible or would even improve the grade, but is there the toy equivalent of pressing for a comic?

Pics below - thanks for your help!

SW5.jpg

SW4.jpg

SW3.jpg

SW2.jpg

SW1.jpg

I would just get sliding bottom acrylic cases for these. They will do just as good a job at preserving/protecting. Iain of GW Acrylic USA could help you. If that Bossk is a 31 Back A, it is a difficult debut card for that character. Maybe post a photo of the back of the card and I can confirm for you.

I personally wouldn't recommend getting these graded. AFA is the only grader I would trust, at least in the USA. UKG is also reputable, but they are out in the UK. Don't even think of grading with any other company.

The bowing on the card is something you should be able to address by getting a sliding bottom case. Just make sure you slide that side with the bowing carefully. One trick that's used is to use a sheet of paper as a buffer between the cardback and the side rail of the case so it doesn't scratch the packaging art when you slide the MOC in the case.

Edited by comicwiz

21 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I would just get sliding bottom acrylic cases for these. They will do just as good a job at preserving/protecting. Iain of GW Acrylic USA could help you. If that Bossk is a 31 Back A, it is a difficult debut card for that character. Maybe post a photo of the back of the card and I can confirm for you.

I personally wouldn't recommend getting these graded. AFA is the only grader I would trust, at least in the USA. UKG is also reputable, but they are out in the UK. Don't even think of grading with any other company.

The bowing on the card is something you should be able to address by getting a sliding bottom case. Just make sure you slide that side with the bowing carefully. One trick that's used is to use a sheet of paper as a buffer between the cardback and the side rail of the case so it doesn't scratch the packaging art when you slide the MOC in the case.

This is really awesome info, thanks!  Here are additional Bossk pics - looks like it's not a 31 back :(.  Still worth a sub?  Are the others not worth subbing due to cost vs. value?

IMG_3981 (1).jpg

IMG_3980 (1).jpg

53 minutes ago, Skunkboy said:

This is really awesome info, thanks!  Here are additional Bossk pics - looks like it's not a 31 back :(.  Still worth a sub?  Are the others not worth subbing due to cost vs. value?

IMG_3981 (1).jpg

IMG_3980 (1).jpg

100% agree with wiz.  Dont grade.  Turning the question around, why would you want to?  Sliding acrylic are super protective and massively cheaper than grading.  Other than a professional grade and a potential to sell, i dont see what you gain.

Patrick

19 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

100% agree with wiz.  Dont grade.  Turning the question around, why would you want to?  Sliding acrylic are super protective and massively cheaper than grading.  Other than a professional grade and a potential to sell, i dont see what you gain.

Patrick

I appreciate the feedback - yea, part of it would be to assess the value and determine if they'd be worth selling.

9 hours ago, Skunkboy said:

IMG_3981 (1).jpg

IMG_3980 (1).jpg

The cost/benefit of submitting wouldn't make economic sense, unless these would grade 80 or higher. The yellowed blister is also going to cause them to put a Y-designation on the grade, which is something collectors shun. The ESB wave tend to be hit and miss for yellow, but I know even with my 31 Back A and B run, my two Bossks were the only ones that had started yellowing. I'm of the opinion that the soft plastic Star Cases accelerate it so unfortunately not much you can do now except to put them in acrylic hoping to slow them down. I don't keep any of my MOC's in the soft cases anymore because of it, and have begun using them as protection during shipping instead. It's all acrylic cases for me, and has been for quite some time now.

13 hours ago, Skunkboy said:

Just seconding/thirding whats been said here. The cost of AFA style grading/encapsulation is not worth it for MOCs in this condition. The yellowing is a deal breakers for some collectors which also keeps value down. Check ebay completed sales of similar condition examples to see market value.

The Bossk is great, and the yellowing isnt TOO far along yet, so maybe proper storage may slow the yellowing any further....