• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, comicwiz said:

The cost/benefit of submitting wouldn't make economic sense, unless these would grade 80 or higher. The yellowed blister is also going to cause them to put a Y-designation on the grade, which is something collectors shun. The ESB wave tend to be hit and miss for yellow, but I know even with my 31 Back A and B run, my two Bossks were the only ones that had started yellowing. I'm of the opinion that the soft plastic Star Cases accelerate it so unfortunately not much you can do now except to put them in acrylic hoping to slow them down. I don't keep any of my MOC's in the soft cases anymore because of it, and have begun using them as protection during shipping instead. It's all acrylic cases for me, and has been for quite some time now.

That is news to me (soft cases being a cause of bubble yellowing).  Are you pretty sure that is the cause?  I'd really hate to buy new cases for all my carded plastic crack.

7 hours ago, comicwiz said:

If you collected comics, then you know the dangers of keeping comics in yellowed polypropelene bags. Anyone that's bought a collection knows as soon as the bags show any yellowing, they need to be rebagged. IF people didn't know this, I'm telling you now not to keep the comics in those bags because it's no longer a stable archival environment to store your comics.

The general rule with plastics is the softer the plastic (think shower curtain) the more chemicals needed to make that plastic pliable/soft. The harder the plastic, the less chemicals. The more chemicals used, the more possibility of destabilizing off-gassing and/or a reaction to occur between one or more of those chemicals.

Soft plastic Star Cases should be checked regularly. Examine them under natural light if possible. I generally use a comparison clear clamshell blister or something close to the plastic of a Star Case to compare. This is especially important because people usually buy Star Cases in quantity, so you need a clear plastic as a point of reference to really notice the slightest hint of yellowing.  And usually when there's even the slightest hint of it, it's a sign of a chemical reaction occurring. That destablized state is either being caused by the combination of the acids in the cardstock and chemicals used to produce the blister being trapped inside that case, and just like the yellowing poly bag, you should remove the MOC from those soft cases once you see any yellowing in the plastic case.

Is it possible to safely store an MOC in a soft case? I would say yes, but again this goes back to make sure you catch it before they begin to yellow. iIt's not to say that hard plastic acylic cases don't yellow, but you do have option of going with UV protected acrylic. Those will last longer and are a safer choice from a conservation standpoint.

Of course this is a suggestion, not one I'm paid to provide, nor am I sponsored by any company to share this information with collectors, but I can assure you that it is a real cause for concern and the reason why I won't store any of my MOC's in soft cases.

Schtaaaaaaaappppp

I trust you when it comes to toys more than I trust an emergency room doctor who says, "This is going to sting a little."

You know what you are talking about.   I have read most everything you have ever said on the issue of decomposition of plastics to be backed up by the science and reasoning behind it.  If you say that you are not comfortable with soft plastic cases then there is a reason for that. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Hello all! 

Still feeding the Funko Pop addiction.

Star Wars Darth Revan, Darth Malak, Shadow Trooper, & Yoda (Hooded), Predator W/ Cloak Effect & Muddy Dutch Schaffer, X-Men Rogue & Walmart Exclusive Mr. Sinister, Diablo Funko Collector Club Tyrael, Previews Exclusive Punisher/War Machine, Marvel Collector Corps Mystique & Nightcrawler, Walgreens Exclusive Scream, Pop-In-A-Box Exclusive Mayhem, & Marvel Comic Moments Venom Vs. Spider-Man. Still waiting for PIAB to send me the Absolute Carnage & Ironheart pop's. Still, a pretty good haul.

IMG_9557.jpg

VERY easy buy.  Much better exclusive purchase than last year.  I snagged Hellfire Club, the Logan 2-pack, and Cobra Commander.

If SDCC runs next year I assume we'll be back to the same sheetshow as usual.  :eek:

Edited by fantastic_four

I was hoping for a few surprises... I am not collecting the 6" Joe line nor 6" Star Wars.  

Premium membah-ship too... :( 

Wampa looks cool... but that would be like doing drugs and hoping not to get addicted. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I was hoping for a few surprises... I am not collecting the 6" Joe line nor 6" Star Wars.  

Premium membah-ship too... :( 

Wampa looks cool... but that would be like doing drugs and hoping not to get addicted. 

That's exactly why I haven't even looked at any pics of the offerings. I left Fwoosh, I don't look at toy sites, I just stay away from new stuff, because if I look, I will want, and if I want, I will buy, and then eventually I'll remind myself "Hey! You said you only collect vintage now!" and then I'll sell the new stuff, and the cycle will continue! JUST SAY NO!

23 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That's exactly why I haven't even looked at any pics of the offerings. I left Fwoosh, I don't look at toy sites, I just stay away from new stuff, because if I look, I will want, and if I want, I will buy, and then eventually I'll remind myself "Hey! You said you only collect vintage now!" and then I'll sell the new stuff, and the cycle will continue! JUST SAY NO!

100% here.  I went to find some of the modern Joes recently.  Part way thru i asked myself, what the hell am I doing.  Luckily lack of supply and early recognition helped.

Patrick

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Is it wrong that I actually prefer modern transformers over vintage? 

I have a few vintage left over as a kid and a couple of pieces I bought back that I had unfortunately sold (Countdown Micromaster base I am looking at you, :luhv: ). However the only other stuff I have I found cheap at a flea market last summer.   Then I see things like this... and I readily grab it.  This version of Hot Rod is a regular release retail version under Hasbro's Studio Series line.  It will be formally announced this weekend. 

It is just as good (IMHO) as the Masterpiece version.

I will be getting this and Long Face Kup (also to be announced)

Check out Hot Rod... none of the gaps that the $100 MP has and they also figured out a way to have a slimmer design instead of the giant backpack. 

The matrix effect is also stunning. 

Studio-Series-Hot-Rod-10.jpg

Screenshot_20200920-145347.png

Screenshot_20200920-145331.png

ss86-v-mp28.jpg

2DD303CB-E01B-4773-97AF-4F7B20045A42.jpg

Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 20.37.07.png

On 9/23/2020 at 12:24 PM, fantastic_four said:

VERY easy buy.  Much better exclusive purchase than last year.  I snagged Hellfire Club, the Logan 2-pack, and Cobra Commander.

If SDCC runs next year I assume we'll be back to the same sheetshow as usual.  :eek:

I try to stay away from action figures in general (that's a hole I can't afford to go down :( ), but I had to pick up a Hellfire Club set.

They were limiting pre-orders to one, but I think I'd like to have another to be able to take them out of the box and set up among some of my statues. 

1 minute ago, Antpark said:

They were limiting pre-orders to one, but I think I'd like to have another to be able to take them out of the box and set up among some of my statues. 

It was one per order, and you could do as many orders as you wanted.

17 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

K heading out... I am picking up a Wicket that I found... this thing REALLY looks better than the last one.  

image.jpg

That black hood does not look like it would fit.  Is that for another character?