• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Comic Consortium said:

Guys, im not much of an action figure collector and focus mainly on comics, but i wanted this as long as I can remember. I remember seeing this at Sears when i was a kid. 30+ years later, i got it!

IMG_2066.jpeg

Stupendous acquisition

One I've been putting off, but it may be time.

Patrick

I had ALL the major Star Wars and GI Joe figures and vehicles as a kid--that FANG, the Wolverine was my favorite with all those missles, pretty much everything.  Death Star, Millenium Falcon, everything Kenner put out up through Empire Strikes Back (I hated the Ewoks as a pre-teen and refused to buy any Jedi stuff).  My mom gave it all away while I was in college, but for whatever reason I didn't even care and I've never had nostalgic interest in any of it.  I was never fully happy with the poor articulation even as a kid, and I used to often pretend my GI Joes were Marvel characters, so I guess I always looked at that line as a secondary interest to my primary one that didn't exist in figure form.

I fell off the action figure train around age 14 and got back on in 2018 when I saw how great the Marvel figures had become.  I looked at Toy Biz stuff in the early 2000s but I just didn't like it and got into statues instead, mostly Bowen at the time.  Now I'm fully out of statues and completely into 6" figures.  I still just wince looking at the old stuff...all I can think about when I see it is how incredibly much better the designs have become since I was a kid.

Edited by fantastic_four

Just now, Antpark said:
14 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

It was one per order, and you could do as many orders as you wanted.

Oh! I thought it was one per person or household or something. Back to the website then!

Their wording was "one per customer."  I wasn't clear on whether or not that meant one per account or one per checkout, but it's one per checkout.  Apparently when people have talked to Pulse customer service some reps have said Hasbro will cancel the extras bought on multiple transactions and other reps have said they will fulfill all orders even if multiples were ordered, so nobody really knows what will happen.  Right now if you buy it's a pre-order that won't be fulfilled for 6+ months, so we're all assuming they're taking orders and will make more, but nobody really knows that for sure, either.

I didn't mean to buy multiples, but I ended up with them.  I filled a cart with the three items I wanted, checked out, and got an error.  I assumed the order didn't go through, but my cart was empty so I filled it again, checked out again, and didn't get an error.  I think I did all of that in less than one minute total.  Turned out both orders went through.  I was surprised and curious as to whether or not the error was what let me get multiple so I put a third Hellfire Club set in my cart, checked out, and it let me, so at that point I had two error-free checkouts of Hellfire Club and knew they were letting you buy multiples of the same item across transactions.

A few people are claiming that they were told the people who bought early on Wednesday will get theirs shipped next week, so we'll see.

9 hours ago, Comic Consortium said:

Guys, im not much of an action figure collector and focus mainly on comics, but i wanted this as long as I can remember. I remember seeing this at Sears when i was a kid. 30+ years later, i got it!

IMG_2066.jpeg

Looks incredible. It's as if your memories are now encapsulated and caught in time. Slabbed toys really gravitated to me years ago because I realized quite often as a kid the best part of the experience wasn't necessarily actually playing with the toys in every single instance; rather it was the incredible buildup of anticipation, searching the aisles in stores, and then seeing/holding it for the first time in person, or opening a holiday/birthday present and not expecting it etc.  

11am EST it begins... 

https://hasbropulse.com/pages/hasbro-pulsecon-2020

Again, I am really impressed by what Hasbro is doing online.  They seem to be doing it better than the other offerings when it comes to virtual cons.  I say that with disclosure that I have no interest in (as far as buying) Power Rangers, or Hero Quest or things outside Star Wars, Transformers and GI Joe.  However, they have put on decent "panels" for those fans.   

I remain impressed.

(I am also hoping that 3.75" Scarlett and Roadblock will be available to purchase today.). 

If anyone finds early links to Walmart then please post them here. 

10 hours ago, Comic Consortium said:

IMG_2066.jpeg

Congrats on the pickup! The FANG was also my first Joe vehicle, and it's a great little copter. I picked one up last year in a box of toy junk last year at an estate sale, $5 for the whole box. It was complete except for the red engine cage, which is usually broken or lost, but I was able to get a nice repro for a few bucks on eBay. Love the little chopper. Box art is also so cool on this one!

Ummm.... 

Star Wars Haslab Reveal today... Here is the live stream and the schedule 

Pulse Con 2020 is here!!!! Are you ready for day one of our awesome, fan first, extravaganza!?! We have so many exciting exclusives and cool panels for YOU, our amazing fans!!! Day one of Pulse Con 2020 will spirit you to the vast, untamed wilderness of Zendikar, blast you off to a galaxy far, far away and bring you closer than ever to some of your favourite heroes!!! Finishing the day, will be a special performance from the incomparable Lights!!!!

Check out today’s awesome line-up!!! (All times ET. Times are subject to change)

11:05 AM - Wizards Magic: The Gathering Presents: Zendikar Rising Live

11:45 AM – Dungeons and Dragons Presents: Dragon Talk

12:25 PM – Joe Manganiello’s Guide For Dungeon Masters

01:00 PM - HeroQuest Panel 01:30 PM – Hasbro Star Wars Panel

02:30 PM – Hasbro Star Wars HasLab Panel  (Possible Clone Wars given the guests?)

03:00 PM – Star Wars Entertainment Panel

03:25 PM – Hasbro Marvel Panel

04:45 PM – Musical Performance: Lights

Guests: 

Including appearances from: - Andre Meadows (Black Nerd Comedy) - Ashley Eckstein (Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Star Wars: The Clone Wars) - Dee Bradley Baker (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) - Ernie Hudson (Ghostbusters: Afterlife) - Henry Golding (Snake Eyes) - John Cena (Bumblebee) - Joe Manganiello (True Blood) - Jason Reitman (Ghostbusters: Afterlife) - Matthew Lillard (D&D Fan, Scooby Doo)

On 9/19/2020 at 5:18 PM, Skunkboy said:

Hi all,

Not super knowledgeable with toy collecting, and would love any insight.  I have a few original carded Star Wars figs that I'm thinking of sending in for grading.  I've had these packed away for 25+ years, and frankly didn't store them as well as I should have, as all of them now have pretty significant yellowing to the bubbles.  I'm not sure that they're worth a ton, but I'd love to have them graded so I can display them and protect them properly moving forward.  A few questions:

1- Is AFA the best option? Would there be any reason to consider another service?

2 - Is there any sort of cleaning or prepping that I should look into before submitting?  A few of the cards, the Bossk in particular, have some bowing which looks like it could be flattened out.  Not sure this is possible or would even improve the grade, but is there the toy equivalent of pressing for a comic?

Pics below - thanks for your help!

SW5.jpg

SW4.jpg

SW3.jpg

SW2.jpg

SW1.jpg

Late to the party but i wanted to give my two cents. I've dealt considerably with carded and boxed action figures. I can only tell you what I would do (and have done). And of course, suggestions are dependent on how much you paid for this collection.

I think it is worth submitting the Bossk, Vader and Kenobi to a grading company. By the way, Bossk is hot and this one is on a ESB 32-Back card! Much like CGC slabbed books, the figures will command a higher price and if anything, will sell faster. I do think that another factor for graded figures selling better is that the submission process is a bit cumbersome (and expensive) such that customers would rather have it already taken care of for them.

I have exclusively used AFA as I think that, out of all the competition, they are the most reliable and right now, realizes a better ROI. I just wish they would modernize their website and make their online submission process more streamlined (I have been offering to do so for years now!).  

I won't speak on the casing / yellowing issue as @Comicdey did a great job explaining it, much better than I could. 

And congrats on this very nice vintage star wars pickup!

Edited by ComicsAndCode

Soo the deets...

• Price - $350
  • Cutoff Date - November 9th
  • Requires 6,000 backers to be made
  • 1st Stretch Goal unlock at 8,000 (Will be additional figure / figures)
  • Dimensions 30" x 20" x 10.5"
  • Comes with "Mando" in Beskar armor with soft good cape.  Retail version will have a hard goods cape but will eventually be released. 

Includes weapons locker, removable landing gears, removable parts, retractable guns, three seat cockpit, carbon freezing chamber, toiler and bunk, retractable landing gear, and side door.

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.42.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.47.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.47.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.47.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.51.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.51.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.52.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.53.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.54.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.48.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.48.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.49.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.50.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.54.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.51.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 2.45.39 PM.png

Interesting... Dee Bradley Baker may have just revealed a spoiler... about future... Rebels or a sequel to it... I am hoping he did ... 

So during the segment at Hascon today, there was a comment made about them saying goodbye to their respective characters after so many years.  Ashley Eckstein stated that it was bittersweet to say goodbye, Dee Bradley Baker immediately set that he,  "wasn't saying goodbye just yet."  Then there was an awkward pause and then he immediately said, "Well I made it to Endor... so I am still out there."

Speculation abounds about a continuation of this show to see what happens to Ezra and Thrawn.  We shall see it seems...

For @fantastic_four

I screen capped this in case you missed it.  They did their version of Jimmy Kimmel's 'Celebrity Mean Tweets'

Apparently they DO read what the Marvel fans say... lol 

They did not upload in order... 

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.31.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.31.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.31.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.30.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.30.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.30.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.30.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.30.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.37.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.37.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.37.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.38.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.30.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.38.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.31.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.31.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.29.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.29.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.28.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.29.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.39.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.29.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-25 at 3.29.17 PM.png

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

For @fantastic_four

I screen capped this in case you missed it.  They did their version of Jimmy Kimmel's 'Celebrity Mean Tweets'

Apparently they DO read what the Marvel fans say... lol 

What a tease...your mention had me thinking they had selected one of my dozens of mean comments about the Hasbro Legends team.  :cry:

Edited by fantastic_four

If anyone is trying to order via the internet and cannot check out I just remembered the old Ticketmaster hack... 

Use your cell phone and use the cellular service.  For some reason I was able to choose my items and check out while still waiting for my hardlined computer to check out via the web server.  I don't understand the science to it... but that works with ticketmaster and it worked here. 

4 hours ago, ComicsAndCode said:

Late to the party but i wanted to give my two cents. I've dealt considerably with carded and boxed action figures. I can only tell you what I would do (and have done). And of course, suggestions are dependent on how much you paid for this collection.

I think it is worth submitting the Bossk, Vader and Kenobi to a grading company. By the way, Bossk is hot and this one is on a ESB 32-Back card! Much like CGC slabbed books, the figures will command a higher price and if anything, will sell faster. I do think that another factor for graded figures selling better is that the submission process is a bit cumbersome (and expensive) such that customers would rather have it already taken care of for them.

I have exclusively used AFA as I think that, out of all the competition, they are the most reliable and right now, realizes a better ROI. I just wish they would modernize their website and make their online submission process more streamlined (I have been offering to do so for years now!).  

I won't speak on the casing / yellowing issue as @Comicdey did a great job explaining it, much better than I could. 

And congrats on this very nice vintage star wars pickup!

This is great insight - thanks so much (and to everyone else who chimed it - haven't been able to respond in a few days).  I frankly didn't pay much for these. I've had the ROTJ figs since roughly 1992 when I traded some (likely now worthless) baseball cards for them, and I picked up the Bossk a few years later at a con for $50. I've had them packed away since then, but unfortunately never made an effort to research proper storage - an odd move as a long-time comic collector :facepalm:

I think I'll take your advice and submit the Bossk, Vader and Kenobi; I was also considering Wickett just because he seems to have endured the least amount of yellowing, and the card isn't punched.  However, based on recent ebay sales, it looks like there's not much demand, and ungraded ones tend to go pretty cheaply.  I thought everyone loved ewoks lol 

1 minute ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Ordered two RazorCrests, at this rate the thing should be backed by the end of the weekend.  Disappointed there are no sounds or lights on it.  They could have easily added those at that price point.

I am considering it... but at the rate it is going I will make a last minute decision.  I'm going to let everyone else earn the stretch goals.