• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2020 at 9:02 PM, greggy said:

You got a better deal than me but here's the one I bought today.  Mine has the hole punch on the back.

XmenPressmanGame.jpg

I remember a promotion discount on Marvel subs, but I don't remember any proof of purchase seal - did they cut out the bar code?

Also, on the Pressman games, I know some came with the actual comics, but later on they came with an "offer" of to get a comic, right? I would have sworn I had one at one time that had an offer to mail away, but didn't come with a physical comic book.

I totally agree, keep it sealed, as you don't see them sealed often. You can find an opened example any day of the week if you're really eager to get inside of one. It's a cool little game. I never played it, but I had one, and the figurines are really cool!

On 9/25/2020 at 4:40 PM, Skunkboy said:

This is great insight - thanks so much (and to everyone else who chimed it - haven't been able to respond in a few days).  I frankly didn't pay much for these. I've had the ROTJ figs since roughly 1992 when I traded some (likely now worthless) baseball cards for them, and I picked up the Bossk a few years later at a con for $50. I've had them packed away since then, but unfortunately never made an effort to research proper storage - an odd move as a long-time comic collector :facepalm:

I think I'll take your advice and submit the Bossk, Vader and Kenobi; I was also considering Wickett just because he seems to have endured the least amount of yellowing, and the card isn't punched.  However, based on recent ebay sales, it looks like there's not much demand, and ungraded ones tend to go pretty cheaply.  I thought everyone loved ewoks lol 

Just reading this for the first time, sorry. Happy to help! I'm interested to find out what you decide to do and if you do submit those three carded SW ESB figures, what grade they come back with.

Ewoks don't get much love. But they fair slightly better than the ROTJ creature figures. :)

The Target exclusive Storm and Thunderbird went up for sale at 1 AM EST and lasted online for about 2.5 hours before selling out.  Target.com was also allowing "pickup in store" purchases.  They usually won't allow those to sell inventory down fully to zero units, but all 15+ stores in my area sold anywhere from 1 to 3 of the 4 figures most of them had while stores were closed within two hours of the option becoming available.

If anyone was thinking of going for this set this morning first thing is the time to do it.  One reviewer known for being overly harsh on figures with Youtube name AnthonysCustoms called Storm the best Hasbro female comic figure in 5 years, one of the top 10 of this year across all brands and genres, and gave it a 9.5 out of 10, although he also took great delight in calling Thunderbird "Thunderturd" throughout the review because he thought that figure was so mediocre.  Definitely the best first appearance Storm figure I've ever seen.

Hasbro-Marvel-Legends-Target-Exclusive-Storm-and-Thunderbird-Pack-Promo-01.jpg?strip=info&w=2000 Hasbro-Marvel-Legends-Target-Exclusive-Storm-and-Thunderbird-Pack-Promo-06.jpg?strip=info&w=2000

Edited by fantastic_four

Another one for the Looney Tunes pile. Normally I keep my LT collectibles focus 30's to 70's, but so little is out there for this fan favorite that the 80's would do in this instance (and a few notable others). 

Also it's so odd: I have one other item from this promotion,  but I'll have to dig it up one day and post then. I say, I say son, here's a promotional button by iconic franchise KFC when it was still known by it's full name featuring Foghorn Leghorn hocking (gulp) eating chickens :whatthe:

IMG_20201002_090505_631.jpg

On 10/4/2020 at 7:05 AM, fantastic_four said:

The Target exclusive Storm and Thunderbird went up for sale at 1 AM EST and lasted online for about 2.5 hours before selling out.  Target.com was also allowing "pickup in store" purchases.  They usually won't allow those to sell inventory down fully to zero units, but all 15+ stores in my area sold anywhere from 1 to 3 of the 4 figures most of them had while stores were closed within two hours of the option becoming available.

If anyone was thinking of going for this set this morning first thing is the time to do it.  One reviewer known for being overly harsh on figures with Youtube name AnthonysCustoms called Storm the best Hasbro female comic figure in 5 years, one of the top 10 of this year across all brands and genres, and gave it a 9.5 out of 10, although he also took great delight in calling Thunderbird "Thunderturd" throughout the review because he thought that figure was so mediocre.  Definitely the best first appearance Storm figure I've ever seen.

Hasbro-Marvel-Legends-Target-Exclusive-Storm-and-Thunderbird-Pack-Promo-01.jpg?strip=info&w=2000 Hasbro-Marvel-Legends-Target-Exclusive-Storm-and-Thunderbird-Pack-Promo-06.jpg?strip=info&w=2000

Damn it @fantastic_four I'm supposed to be done with new toys! Blast you for tempting me!

I couldn't resist. I'm not made of stone. The FA Storm was my single most wanted figure for so many years, I couldn't deny her now that she's here.

After I read your post, I checked online, and all of my local Targets were sold out except one showed "in stock" and another shows "limited availability" which USUALLY means sold out.

So, I went to the store that showed in stock, and there was nothing on the shelves. However, I'm sure they have them because at the time I was there, there were several employees pushing around carts of stock, who were restocking the shelves. I asked one if it was possible to check and see if these were in the back, but he said he couldn't. I poked around the carts they had, but didn't see anything with a matching DCPI. So, I thought I'd leave and come back later. On the way out I stopped by the "collectibles" section to see if there was anything that caught my eye. Lo and behold, they had a single Funko Pop GI Joe Beachhead Con Exclusive. I snapped that sucker up, went to the self checkout, and when I rang it up it alerted the cashier, who came over and put in a code, and then told me he couldn't sell it to me, that it wasn't available for sale until 10/10. And then he physically took it from me. SOOOO that was a big strike out all around.

Undeterred, I went to the "limited availability" store just to try my luck, and found four of these on the shelves. Hallelujah! I picked up two for myself, so if anyone is in the Louisville area, they still had two on the shelves as of an hour or so ago. This was the Bashford Manor Target. If anyone is actually local (small chance but hey you never know) the Westport store shows they are "in stock", so maybe they'll restock them later in the day.

I haven't bought any Legends in a long time, since I sold most of my collection off. So, I'm not sure what is hot or new or old stock these days, but I saw lots of Squirrel Girl scooter packs, a single Punisher motorcycle packs, a bunch of Mystique and Domino movie figures (I dig the cardboard boxes on these, packaging is pretty cool) and what I guess is an X-Force wave with Warpath, Sunspot, etc. I didn't buy any of that stuff, but that's what I saw.

Also not buying McFarlane stuff, but today I saw the most DC stuff on the pegs that I've ever seen. Tons of Batman Who Laughs, Bat Armor, Azrael, etc, if people are looking for that kind of stuff.

Happy hunting!

IMG_7052.JPG

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Undeterred, I went to the "limited availability" store just to try my luck, and found four of these on the shelves. Hallelujah! I picked up two for myself, so if anyone is in the Louisville area, they still had two on the shelves as of an hour or so ago. This was the Bashford Manor Target. If anyone is actually local (small chance but hey you never know) the Westport store shows they are "in stock", so maybe they'll restock them later in the day.

Odds are good people tried for those yesterday but they weren't somewhere employees could find, because I know my area of about 18 Targets sold out of all of theirs in under 6 hours.  I got a few myself, and Storm is absolutely glorious.  My favorite Storm in every way except the feet...the ankle pivot on these is horrible, which is the norm for heeled feet from Hasbro.  Everything else is sublime.  That wind-swept head and cape are REALLY hard to pose in ways that don't make them great, but any pose with those gain twice the appeal if you put her on a flight stand.  Those sculpts were made for flight more than any other sculpt on any action figure I've ever seen.  Seeing them on a flight stand transform this Storm from outstanding to one of the best action figures ever made.  (worship)

Edited by fantastic_four

Not sure if any of you Marvel Legends folks will be interested, but on a whim I stopped by an Ollie's today, and they appear to have done their xmas toys setup for the season, including Marvel Legends. Individual figures were $9.99 (though I only saw Grey Gargoyle) and two-packs were $12.99. I only saw the Luke Cage/Claire and Thor/Sif sets, but that's not a bad price. Thought I'd mention it!

All my Hulk favorites together, finally ! 🤩  :bigsmile: STATUE + FIGURE + COMICS. ^^ 
Quick video showing the best Incredible Hulk statue and Figure in my collection. XM Studios Hulk Transformation statue 1/4 scale and Marvel Legends Hulk 14.5 figure.
Also, my 3 favorite Incredible Hulk Comic books (CGC Graded)  😁

Incredible Hulk #102 CGC 9.0
Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 6.0
Incredible Hulk Annual #1 CGC 9.0

If you are a Hulk fan I highly recommend this Marvel Legends Hulk 14.5 inch Figure and Statue 😁   

The comic books are pretty cool too :)  Hope you enjoy it !