• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, followtheleader said:

What do you with things like the GI Joe Battle Gear accessories? 

He-man/MOTU had something similar.  Basically, vintage replicas of weapons/accessories in different colors.

Collect them, sell them, pitch them, something else?

Patrick

I keep them for customs or to fill out joblots when I sell.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:26 PM, followtheleader said:

What do you with things like the GI Joe Battle Gear accessories? 

He-man/MOTU had something similar.  Basically, vintage replicas of weapons/accessories in different colors.

Collect them, sell them, pitch them, something else?

Patrick

I usually don't go out of my way to pick them up, but sometimes they can be a nice placeholder if the original accessory is super expensive (Firefly's walkie talkie, stuff like that.) 

Sometimes, if I like the color scheme, I'll display them. For instance, I have one Snow Cat in my display that is outfitted with the green missiles and grey skies from the vehicle accessory pack, to go along with my original Snow Cat. Makes for a cool variation for display. 

I also have Scrap Iron set up with both his original missile launcher and the red/blue one, one launcher in each hand, just because hey, why not?

So, in conclusion, I don't seek them out (except for the Snow Cat accessory pack, I did specifically look for that one) but otherwise if I pick them up in lots or collections or whatever, I usually just put them with my other accessories, to be used if I ever have a need. 

On 10/24/2020 at 11:27 PM, Talapas1 said:

I just received this last mine in the mail to complete my Listen and Fun Tripwire.   Now I need to figure out why my next joe to complete will be.  

BE971F18-8DB6-4CE4-97F1-743A9B10A943.jpeg

Cool! It's so funny to me, stuff like this and Mission Brazil, etc I remember seeing stacks of these as a kid, and I always passed on them because they were "just" repaints, and I always wanted a new character. I guess a lot of other kids passed on them too, which is why they're harder to find and pricey now! Of course now that I'm grown, I think they're cool!

44 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Cool! It's so funny to me, stuff like this and Mission Brazil, etc I remember seeing stacks of these as a kid, and I always passed on them because they were "just" repaints, and I always wanted a new character. I guess a lot of other kids passed on them too, which is why they're harder to find and pricey now! Of course now that I'm grown, I think they're cool!

I always felt the same way about the repaints growing up. Same with those Sears exclusives. They weren't featured in the brochures that came with all Joe vehicles and playsets so in my kid mind, they didn't count. Heck, I treated Whitman variants the same way. I thought they were total carp and now I regret not stockpiling that stuff back then.

6 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

I always felt the same way about the repaints growing up. Same with those Sears exclusives. They weren't featured in the brochures that came with all Joe vehicles and playsets so in my kid mind, they didn't count. Heck, I treated Whitman variants the same way. I thought they were total carp and now I regret not stockpiling that stuff back then.

Yup, 100%! I remember seeing the Dreadnok Assaul sets in the WIsh Book when I was a kid, and thinking they were ugly as sin! Why would I want those ugly- repaints when I could get a brand new vehicle??? Of course, now I'm prepared to pay through the nose to get one of those "ugly-" Dreadnok sets, if I can ever find one! 

And yeah, with comics, 2nd prints and higher were basically garbage. If it wasn't a first print, it wasn't worth having. Now I'm on the hunt for those books all over again? Who knew??

Ay yo... 

Walmart just reactivated a preorder at 8PM and it does not seem many people are aware of it... 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-The-Vintage-Collection-Din-Djarin-The-Mandalorian-and-The-Child-Toys-3-75-inch-Scale-Figures-Only-at-Walmart/739125148

I just picked up two and it qualified for free shipping.  Each was $17.68

image.thumb.png.df4f1b0d89a533e88fb212140bf0c16a.png

image.thumb.png.1a1b6a72b5bf153ebecea4220590271f.png

image.thumb.png.2b8990a7e3d06cb59ce676ae4472cb9c.png

image.thumb.png.4f307d1cd87f5845459a8deb7b2c403a.pngimage.thumb.png.5042ecc331e9cd9f62f1edf6e84656ae.png

Amazon Preorder for Mandalorian Retro Style figure

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Mandalorian-3-75-Inch-Scale-Collectible/dp/B08KJJC8DN/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Retro+Collection+mandalorian

I was into it for $9.99 - All of the orders are available as well. 

image.thumb.png.ae3d31dd63e8427839d9e2efbd01ca62.png

Edited by Buzzetta

16 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I usually don't go out of my way to pick them up, but sometimes they can be a nice placeholder if the original accessory is super expensive (Firefly's walkie talkie, stuff like that.) 

Sometimes, if I like the color scheme, I'll display them. For instance, I have one Snow Cat in my display that is outfitted with the green missiles and grey skies from the vehicle accessory pack, to go along with my original Snow Cat. Makes for a cool variation for display. 

I also have Scrap Iron set up with both his original missile launcher and the red/blue one, one launcher in each hand, just because hey, why not?

So, in conclusion, I don't seek them out (except for the Snow Cat accessory pack, I did specifically look for that one) but otherwise if I pick them up in lots or collections or whatever, I usually just put them with my other accessories, to be used if I ever have a need. 

Appreciate the responses from people. 

I've traditionally dumped them super fast. 

But recently wondered why as they are as vintage as most Joe items. 

Agreed on certain rarer accessories.  Firefly's is a good example.  Got a red phone recently for FF. 

Just wish the plastic had been a bit better.  You can usually tell the Battle Gear items from the originals in 2 seconds just based on the quality. 

Scrap Iron's missile set is a very solid Battle Gear accessory.  Cool colors and doesn't look cheap. 

Patrick

15 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Yup, 100%! I remember seeing the Dreadnok Assaul sets in the WIsh Book when I was a kid, and thinking they were ugly as sin! Why would I want those ugly- repaints when I could get a brand new vehicle??? Of course, now I'm prepared to pay through the nose to get one of those "ugly-" Dreadnok sets, if I can ever find one! 

And yeah, with comics, 2nd prints and higher were basically garbage. If it wasn't a first print, it wasn't worth having. Now I'm on the hunt for those books all over again? Who knew??

Those Dreadnok sets are some crazy duckets now. 

I was lucky enough to get a super nice set of the Dreadnok Vamp/RAM.

Could have purchased the Dreadnok Skyhawk/FANG, but they were expensive back then and not in nice enough shape.  Now I wish I would have spent the money. 

Patrick

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

image.thumb.png.1a1b6a72b5bf153ebecea4220590271f.png

These Pedro Pascal head sculpts are rough.  :eek:  The 6" one below is, too.  Maybe they're supposed to be the "I'm getting my head squashed by The Mountain" version of Pascal.  :sick:

Hasbro-Star-Wars-Black-Series-Target-Exc

Edited by fantastic_four

Managed to snag a Walmart exclusive Clone Wars Ahsoka.  Great likeness to the character, love it!  I also have a pre-order in, but for whatever reason Walmart is TERRIBLE at ever fulfilling pre-orders, so I expected to never get that one and used Brickseek to hunt the figure down.  They're not staying in stores for more than a few hours before they're gone.

ACtC-3eJj8DNLmsosCJAAqXE3jslNwHb-AiaD44hIMZrbPxoY4vCG8qyHq3tpChkwxqWBBdNCcIMQbBkE_UEoeKJ8-uQ6mmU3hsHvtWi8JyC4fElNcb_5O6ES2qzIu29Rj0_-LpfU_eDDrcpgDF-HtbzxiQBig=w4032-h2268 ACtC-3fCQdPd3O1g9Ljt6rPbQ7798CpZ0_z7_nEddbVSQ3D6Z3TU9t1d4iTjQHcAU_cOuo-yjamFAZ7CyI0UV4s4x8REvw3gUncIferSf4-WWMkWXjRz9mB8Ww9O7PEThwMKOC9RU7qcfUqbEmTK8gvp-HyvJw=w2268-h4032

38 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

These Pedro Pascal head sculpts are rough.  :eek:  The 6" one below is, too.  Maybe they're supposed to be the "I'm getting my head squashed by The Mountain" version of Pascal.  :sick:

Hasbro-Star-Wars-Black-Series-Target-Exc

Totally agree... It looks like they used the beaten and bloody version seen at the end of last season.  Head definitely looks squished... I am hoping they clean it up a bit. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Totally agree... It looks like they used the beaten and bloody version seen at the end of last season.  Head definitely looks squished... I am hoping they clean it up a bit. 

Sometimes the scanning and printing tech that Hasbro uses results in a face that's relatively accurate to the actor, but when simplified and compressed just looks strange.  The most extreme example I've seen is Tom Hiddleston as Loki as shown below.  When you look closely at the print it does look amazingly accurate, yet shrunk down to a 6" figure his features look quite bizarre.

You can absolutely find pictures of Pedro Pascal looking very similar to these sculpts, but their version exaggerates the idiosyncrasies of his face quite a lot.  The second pic below shows the one scene where IG-11 removed his helmet to treat wounds to his head.  You can absolutely see the similarities to this image in the head sculpt, but his head wasn't as wide as the sculpt makes him look.

Marvel_Legends_Thor_Ragnarok_Gladiator_Hulk_Series_LOKI_film_version_6_Figure_Hasbro_main_1024x1024.jpg?v=1501451064 82ddda9a-d346-40e9-b6b0-be98b23012b0-dja

Edited by fantastic_four

Something to note about Target exclusives is that over the past few years and up through the recent GI Joe: Cobra Island releases stores typically got about 6 total figures each.  There are a bit under 2000 Targets in America, meaning the total run just in stores was about 12,000, plus more online via the site, plus more internationally.  Not really that big a run, and by my math the typical Marvel Legends wave has about 30K to 40K units produced, so the Target exclusives have been significantly lower runs than most figures.

But that seems to have changed this summer.  The Target exclusive Storm/Thunderbird 2-pack is showing up in stores in DROVES, about 12 to 20 per store.  Most of my local stores have more than 10, and one has 20.  They're also stocking the about-to-hit-the-shelves Marvel Legends Venompool wave of figures differently by buying boxes of 8 containing one figure instead of all 8 different figures from the wave in one box, so stores should be swimming in Venom figures starting in November.  It's possible that these Star Wars Target exclusives may also be available in significantly larger numbers as well.

If this does end up being a trend then we should also expect many of these to hit clearance.  At which point I assume they eventually throttle back on the orders and we're back to having trouble buying stuff again.  But hopefully for a while these figures will be easier to get.

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Something to note about Target exclusives is that over the past few years and up through the recent GI Joe: Cobra Island releases stores typically got about 6 total figures each.  There are a bit under 2000 Targets in America, meaning the total run just in stores was about 12,000, plus more online via the site, plus more internationally.  Not really that big a run, and by my math the typical Marvel Legends wave has about 30K to 40K units produced, so the Target exclusives have been significantly lower runs than most figures.

But that seems to have changed this summer.  The Target exclusive Storm/Thunderbird 2-pack is showing up in stores in DROVES, about 12 to 20 per store.  Most of my local stores have more than 10, and one has 20.  They're also stocking the about-to-hit-the-shelves Marvel Legends Venompool wave of figures differently by buying boxes of 8 containing one figure instead of all 8 different figures from the wave in one box, so stores should be swimming in Venom figures starting in November.  It's possible that these Star Wars Target exclusives may also be available in significantly larger numbers as well.

If this does end up being a trend then we should also expect many of these to hit clearance.  At which point I assume they eventually throttle back on the orders and we're back to having trouble buying stuff again.  But hopefully for a while these figures will be easier to get.

I was saying something similar to myself.  Someone posted that there was a one and done Target coupon out there that was usable on the $400 Falcon.  At $300 I said... maybe worth it to track it down and stash a couple for future resale.  When I did a search to see where I could find one... I noticed something on the Falcon.  Some locations said, "Out of Stock" and other said, "This store is not carrying this product."  Out of around ten local targets across Long Island only two stores, "Medford" and "Westbury" were carrying it, (out of stock).

I wonder if the numbers are lower since not every store is carrying some of the product.  

Or maybe that's just with a $400 toy since it is a higher risk.

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I was saying something similar to myself.  Someone posted that there was a one and done Target coupon out there that was usable on the $400 Falcon.  At $300 I said... maybe worth it to track it down and stash a couple for future resale.  When I did a search to see where I could find one... I noticed something on the Falcon.  Some locations said, "Out of Stock" and other said, "This store is not carrying this product."  Out of around ten local targets across Long Island only two stores, "Medford" and "Westbury" were carrying it, (out of stock).

I wonder if the numbers are lower since not every store is carrying some of the product.

I have seen those descriptors about inventory status on the Target web site be inconsistent, so I wouldn't take this as an absolute answer--but usually when I see stores say "Not sold at this store" (is that the phrasing you meant, or was it phrased in the way you wrote it above?) it only means they've never had it arrive in the store yet.  When the GI Joe Baroness came out a few months ago all of my local stores were showing that message until they got one in, and then after they sold those it flipped to "out of stock."  So "Not sold at this store" just means they've never had it, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will never get it.

The Galaxy's Edge Falcon shows as "Not sold at this store" for every store in my region but one.  I'm guessing that one had someone who bought it online and had it shipped to the store for pickup there.  This seems like the kind of product they probably only sell online since it's so expensive.