• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,313 posts in this topic

Hey Buzz, have you ever seen a comparison between the original 1979 Kenner Falcon and this Galaxy's Edge Falcon?  I had the Kenner and just went looking for how much better this one is but couldn't find any comparisons.  Just looked up that the Kenner originally cost $30, so if this one is $400 I assume it's far better even accounting for inflation.

On 10/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, F For Fake said:

Yup, 100%! I remember seeing the Dreadnok Assaul sets in the WIsh Book when I was a kid, and thinking they were ugly as sin! Why would I want those ugly- repaints when I could get a brand new vehicle??? Of course, now I'm prepared to pay through the nose to get one of those "ugly-" Dreadnok sets, if I can ever find one! 

I hear you about the Sears repaints & repacks.  I never had any as a kid or much interest.  I did acquire the Sears GI. Joe Vamp & Hal playset maybe 8 years ago.  I sold it 5 years ago as I thought the box wasn't in great shape (maybe a 7 out of 10).  I thought  I'd upgrade some day, but prices have really taken off.   

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Hey Buzz, have you ever seen a comparison between the original 1979 Kenner Falcon and this Galaxy's Edge Falcon?  I had the Kenner and just went looking for how much better this one is but couldn't find any comparisons.  Just looked up that the Kenner originally cost $30, so if this one is $400 I assume it's far better even accounting for inflation.

I actually own the Galaxy Edge Falcon its first incarnation upon its release in 2010 and currently have it on display in the basement.   Back then it was nicknamed the Legacy B.M.F. Falcon...   heh (do a google search, I am serious, that it was it is named). I found a comparison shot that someone else took between the classic Kenner mold and the BMF Falcon... It REALLY is much bigger given the scale of it all.  I mean, four figures easily fit in the cockpit. 

I also included a link to Rebelscum where you can see a full gallery of the full features of the toy.  If I ever were to sell everything off, it is one of the last things that would leave my possession.  It really is worth it and if I did not already have the 2010 release I would find a way to get the Galaxy Edge version.

BTW the only real difference between the Galaxy Edge and Legacy versions is that the Galaxy Edge version has an updated wash, stronger LED lights, different pack in figures, and a different soundboard that is always 'on'.  The switch on the Legacy version turns the sounds on or off.  The switch on the Galaxy Edge version switches between the Legacy sounds and the Disney theme ride features. 

Rebelscum Gallery: http://www.rebelscum.com/tlcbmf.asp

BMF-1.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the pic and info!

FYI I asked someone on the Fwoosh what scale they thought the Kenner Falcon was and got an interestingly detailed answer about how the Falcon's scale in the movies as shown from the exterior and interior don't match up at all, and that makes establishing the scale of any model of it difficult to pin down:

Would you say the Legacy Collection is true 1:18 scale? I guess Kenner just shrunk the scale on theirs to somewhere between 1:24 and 1:36 scale.

Well...this is getting into a weird territory because the Falcon can't really be made to scale as it isn't even in scale to itself. There was an amazing website that I believe is now gone called Ship Of Riddles ( this is a link to it in the web archive site ), but Robert Brown was EXHAUSTIVE as he determined the measurements of the internal sets and reasoned how they related to each other. (The cargo bay set where Luke trains with the remote was separate from the cockpit set, as well as the exterior set used in docking bay 94/the Death Star hangar. Also, the exterior set used on ESB shows how small that was when you see Han fixing it on Hoth while Chewie is crammed inside the cockpit.)

Brown did his best to show how it could possibly fit inside the dimensions of the model used in the movies, but the bottom line was it couldn't really work. The cutaway posters, model kits, and incredible cross section books made attempts and even fudged things to make it work, but the set just wouldn't fit properly in that ship. So scale is really difficult to nail down.

To answer your question though, I think a true 1:18 scale Falcon would need to be closer to 4 or even 5 feet long? Even on the TLC/Galaxy's Edge toy (called the BMF in 2008, which may help your googling as well), the cockpit pod is oversized compared to the rest of the ship, but not as badly as the old Kenner toy. it's still an incredible display piece and works with the figures really well.

I realize you didn't ask for such a detailed nerding out, and believe it or not I am truncating a lot here, but hopefully that answers your question.

Edited by fantastic_four

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Awesome, thanks for the pic and info!

FYI I asked someone on the Fwoosh what scale they thought the Kenner Falcon was and got an interestingly detailed answer about how the Falcon's scale in the movies as shown from the exterior and interior don't match up at all, and that makes establishing the scale of any model of it difficult to pin down:

Oh no problem at all...

I think that the closest 'toy' falcon that I have ever seen to be in scale to its figures would be the $800 Lego Falcon.  The Legacy / Disney Falcon is definitely a little on the small side as can be seen by the door at the back of the cockpit. It is designed for figures that might be 2.75" in height and not 3.75" in height.  However, it really is an amazing ship and a little detail like that can easily be ignored given the size of the thing.  It really is more of a playset than a "swooshable" vehicle and makes an excellent display piece. 

I really have to take out the BMF AT-AT...  That thing is equally as impressive.  This might be the excuse I need... :whee:

Edited by Buzzetta

Anyone want to take a chance?  I believe that this was supposed to be some type of con exclusive... possibly D23 or SDCC so it's a leeeeeemited edition. 

https://www.amazon.com/tt/webview. (Treasure Truck) (Ships to you)

LEGO Marvel Avengers Taskmaster's Ambush Black Widow Set

It is limited to one per customer at $39.99.  I already ordered mine.  If there is no money in it... then I will just return it.   But the last con exclusive was the target Bespin duel at about the same price point and that is currently around $100 on eBay

It says early access but again, the box art is comic book like... that's usually the con exclusive box and not a box made for general retail.   It also features the vignette base which is something Lego usually includes in the exclusives.  At $40 it is pricy at 230 parts so that is another reason I believe this to be limited edition.  

If I am wrong and this appears everywhere?  Take it to Kohls and return it. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.00.45 PM.png

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Anyone want to take a chance?  I believe that this was supposed to be some type of con exclusive... possibly D23 or SDCC so it's a leeeeeemited edition. 

https://www.amazon.com/tt/webview. (Treasure Truck) (Ships to you)

LEGO Marvel Avengers Taskmaster's Ambush Black Widow Set

It is limited to one per customer at $39.99.  I already ordered mine.  If there is no money in it... then I will just return it.   But the last con exclusive was the target Bespin duel at about the same price point and that is currently around $100 on eBay

It says early access but again, the box art is comic book like... that's usually the con exclusive box and not a box made for general retail.   It also features the vignette base which is something Lego usually includes in the exclusives.  At $40 it is pricy at 230 parts so that is another reason I believe this to be limited edition.  

If I am wrong and this appears everywhere?  Take it to Kohls and return it. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.00.45 PM.png

Its at some lego stores already if you'd rather get one in person. I got mine last weekend (I think I may have been the first) It's a pretty nice diorama, whether or not it its worth the price. I appreciate the base plate and the clear bits for the action poses legos usually feel so static to me.

20201024_162749.jpg

12 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

Its at some lego stores already if you'd rather get one in person. I got mine last weekend (I think I may have been the first) It's a pretty nice diorama, whether or not it its worth the price. I appreciate the base plate and the clear bits for the action poses legos usually feel so static to me.

20201024_162749.jpg

Found out later on it is a SDCC exclusive.  People are already paying $75 + as of this afternoon on eBay.  

14 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

BigBadToyStore has Mondo's Creature from the Black Lagoon 1/6 Scale Figure for $174.99 plus four dollar flat rate shipping! I just put in my pre-order with them.

It looks really sharp. Mondo has a Silver Screen version exclusive to their site, I'm giving it some thought. I mostly stopped buying new stuff, but that is really snazzy. Reminds me of when Sideshow was doing all of that great Universal Monsters stuff. Had all of those 12" figures.

14 hours ago, Robot Man said:

creaturemarxfigure.jpg

The only monster from the orange set that I have is the Wolfman. I'd love to complete the set some day, but I worry about repops on these. Keep hoping I'll hit an original owner collection someday.