• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,332 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am torn between getting a loose but as perfect as possible black suited secret wars Spider-man or a MOC Black Suited Spider-man or a Spider-man Mego, all three of which I have never owned. 

I also want to point out that I have had Spider-man Mego with no damage to the uniform on my Christmas list for the last four years and still no Spider-man Mego.  Then everyone complains that I buy myself everything I want and I am difficult to shop for. 

giphy.gif

The black suit Spidey is such a nice figure, I can definitely see why you'd want one. I have a nice loose one, but never a carded one. I think that the sculpts for Secret Wars, as simple as they are, are actually super nice, and especially suited to the silhouette of the Black Spider-man costume.

1 hour ago, Namtak said:

I store those sealed toys in boxes and check them out sometime i just like to see them in their packaging with the artwork,makes me remember when my father bought some for me way back when,seeing your x men toys made me open a box not the good one for x men tough didnt want to unpack everything.but found one of my favourite the superman with krytonite ring one of my first toy wow did i played with it until one day a neighbor kid broke a leg aaaarrrghh.the ring was magnetised so was superman so when the ring was nearly touching superman he would fall.but with one leg it lost its meaning,anyway heres half of a box i opérer. Good memories.  :preach:

20210303_143652.jpg

20210303_143656.jpg

20210303_143706.jpg

20210303_143808.jpg

20210303_143812.jpg

20210303_143815.jpg

20210303_143819.jpg

20210303_143823.jpg

That's a great selection of figures! A few weeks back I posted about my DC Super Hero collection, if you saw that, I have a great love for the line. I'll tell you, that Superman figure is NICE, and is getting very hard to find in nice shape. An unpunched card like yours, I'd expect to easily be a $100+ piece. The unpunched Joker is really sharp and desirable as well. Of course, market value can't compete with the value of nostalgia!

edit to add: I don't keep up with Real Ghostbusters, but that Louis figure is apparently pricey as well!

Edited by F For Fake

14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That's a great selection of figures! A few weeks back I posted about my DC Super Hero collection, if you saw that, I have a great love for the line. I'll tell you, that Superman figure is NICE, and is getting very hard to find in nice shape. An unpunched card like yours, I'd expect to easily be a $100+ piece. The unpunched Joker is really sharp and desirable as well. Of course, market value can't compete with the value of nostalgia!

edit to add: I don't keep up with Real Ghostbusters, but that Louis figure is apparently pricey as well!

Hey thanks for the info on Louis, paid 35 bucks 3 month ago in a comic store,saw your pics 2 green lantern unpunch wow i dont have that one yet and batman is missing in my collection too,good day f for fake !:headbang:

I just picked this up with a few other things I always liked ghostbusters and thought plasma series was good do thought why not get a figure or two and saw this so decided get one and see if I like it not to bad and it’s cool how they packaged the figures. Ps sorry about the image quality that’s what happens when you have to use a phone it’s awful for taking photos 

BF2A3ABE-938C-49CF-814E-89C7255F203F.jpeg

5 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Don’t get me wrong, Megos are my absolute favorite toys from when I was a kid, but my attitude towards them is kind of like yours towards carded Joes: they’re a time-bomb waiting to go off. 

I don’t know if you have a preference for T1 or T2 bodies. The T2 stand on their own better but they’re basically held together with a rubber band. I’ve never done it myself, but I’ve read that restringing a T1 body is a bit easier and comes out better. 

But the plastic used on the 70’s wasn’t always the best. I’ve had figures where thumbs or (most commonly) the knees spontaneously break.  If it’s the pin you can replace it but if it’s the joint you’re kind of stuck. 

That’s the long way of saying I wouldn’t pay a premium for one. Spider-Man is probably one of the most common, but as crazy as the market is for everything now I have no idea what the going rate is for one. 

I totally get wanting one though. 

Yeah, I was wondering about that and was going to ask.  I would never get a MOC sample but I would love to stick one in the cabinet.  The Spider-man one can be found at around $55-60 but the problem is finding one with a costume that does not have damage to rear back button.  Maybe I will just print a picture out and look at it.

55 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that and was going to ask.  I would never get a MOC sample but I would love to stick one in the cabinet.  The Spider-man one can be found at around $55-60 but the problem is finding one with a costume that does not have damage to rear back button.  Maybe I will just print a picture out and look at it.

I know the French Pin Pin sell for less than the regular US counterparts (when they're not being pimped as "rare" when they're not), maybe see if you can find one that's MOC on a beater French card and just remove it form the packaging to have a fresh example.  

Probably pay about double the loose price but might be worth it to get a nice example.  That's the nice thing about the Spider-Man figure, it's like the Trek figures, it's common enough that with some searching you can do that.

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The black suit Spidey is such a nice figure, I can definitely see why you'd want one. I have a nice loose one, but never a carded one. I think that the sculpts for Secret Wars, as simple as they are, are actually super nice, and especially suited to the silhouette of the Black Spider-man costume.

About 10 years ago, I had the potential to buy a 3-pack for about $100.  
Has Black Spider-man, Captain America, and Daredevil.  

Really regret not having bought it.  

There was a time when I could buy MOCs at shows for super cheap.  Picked up quite a few Caps for $20 each. 

Still think the toyline is relatively cheap.

Patrick

3 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

There was a time when I could buy MOCs at shows for super cheap.  Picked up quite a few Caps for $20 each. 

Patrick

But like a lot of the toy lines from the era the MOCs don't seem to be handling the ravages of time very well.

Seems like just like the Super Powers, Dune, and RotJ from that era the Secret Wars bubbles are especially prone to yellowing.

I had a few Secret Wars figures when I was a kid and last year I kind of got the itch to get a carded Daredevil again.  Every MOC example I looked seemed like there was some kind of chemical reaction from the plastic that was causing the flesh colored paint on his face to blister.  

1 minute ago, Number 6 said:

But like a lot of the toy lines from the era the MOCs don't seem to be handling the ravages of time very well.

Seems like just like the Super Powers, Dune, and RotJ from that era the Secret Wars bubbles are especially prone to yellowing.

I had a few Secret Wars figures when I was a kid and last year I kind of got the itch to get a carded Daredevil again.  Every MOC example I looked seemed like there was some kind of chemical reaction from the plastic that was causing the flesh colored paint on his face to blister.  

Yeah, the bubbles from most 80s toys have a high likelihood to yellow (including Star Wars).

Interesting on the DD.  
I'll look at my carded collection and see if mine has that.

Patrick

12 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Sure! The initial Toy Biz wave was Wolverine (brown costume), Nightcrawler, Storm (black costume), Cyclops (white/blue X-Factor costume), Colossus, Archangel (white wings), Magneto, Juggernaut Apocalypse. All came on cards with "punch out" hangers, and corresponding Marvel 1990 Impel trading cards. Cyclops was also sometimes issued with the Apocalypse card, for some reason.

All were later reissued on cards with hanger tags and randomly inserted character cards.

Finally, Cyclops was reissued with the classic Blue/Yellow costume, Storm with grey/silver costume, Archangel with grey wings, and Colossus with a maroon/brown costume. I don't think they reissued that initial Wolverine or Nightcrawler sculpt. Wolverine soon came out in the popular "TIger Stripe" classic costume with pop-out claws, and the Nightcrawler figure wasn't issued again.

The initial line also had two Danger Room playsets, a weird motorcycle with claws for Wolverine, Magneto's "Magnetron" vehicle, and super-size figures of Wolvie and Mags.

Thanks for posting, pretty good selection of X-men.

Joe Night Raven would have been great for the X-men.  But not very functional for holding figures.

Patrick

38 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Patrick

Wow, that would have been quite the deal, but there's always something that gets away. I agree completely, considering the popularity and cultural saturation of Marvel super heroes, and the appetite for all things 80's toy wise, it feels like Secret Wars are undervalued.

Just now, followtheleader said:

As promised, this is my DD.  I've been lucky (clear bubble and nice face).

Don't be jealous of my archival supplies.

I know this is sacrilege, but yellow bubbles were never an auto no go for me.

Patrick

20210303_220849.jpg

Wow, that's really sharp! Love it! Oddly, DD is one of the few I haven't owned either loose or complete. Falcon is the other. They're both been on my "one day!" list, and I just never found the right one.

As for yellowing, I can make do with a little bit, if the price is right. But it's the bubbles where it looks like the figure has been chain-smoking under the plastic for 30 years that I can't abide. When they pass yellow and go full amber? That's a pass.

Another eBay cautionary tale I thought I would pass along. 

I purchased a Batman Arkham Knight light up statue on eBay in July. Actually part of the game for XBOX and PS4. Went to replace the batteries today to find out the battery compartment was jimmied with aluminum foil and one of the terminals was rusted badly. I know its on me for not opening the battery compartment when I purchased it but I was content when I saw it work. I reached out to the seller just to notify him of what happened and he actually replied right away with a half hearted apology. I wasn't expecting anything back but it is in my nature to confront someone when a deception has occurred. This is not the first time someone on eBay has done some temporary repair/restore to sell . I just wanted to pass along the info.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

IMG_0091.JPG

35 minutes ago, mytastebud said:

Another eBay cautionary tale I thought I would pass along. 

I purchased a Batman Arkham Knight light up statue on eBay in July. Actually part of the game for XBOX and PS4. Went to replace the batteries today to find out the battery compartment was jimmied with aluminum foil and one of the terminals was rusted badly. I know its on me for not opening the battery compartment when I purchased it but I was content when I saw it work. I reached out to the seller just to notify him of what happened and he actually replied right away with a half hearted apology. I wasn't expecting anything back but it is in my nature to confront someone when a deception has occurred. This is not the first time someone on eBay has done some temporary repair/restore to sell . I just wanted to pass along the info.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

IMG_0091.JPG

Yikes! It’s one thing to be deceptive, it’s quite another to knowingly send a fire hazard to an unsuspecting buyer. That sucks. Glad you found out before anything bad happened.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Yikes! It’s one thing to be deceptive, it’s quite another to knowingly send a fire hazard to an unsuspecting buyer. That sucks. Glad you found out before anything bad happened.

Sad but some just dont care fire hazard or not.

Tick2.jpg

On 3/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

$429 OBO

28B4545C-A79E-4878-879E-5650CAFE1696.jpeg

Sweet!I just read Deadpools Secret Secret Wars and got very nostalgic for a lenticular shield.I think I want to hunt one down,I still have some loose toys

5 minutes ago, JoeRock said:

Finally found one of these in the wild, pretty happy with it. 

B1EBE01B-619C-43F2-AFCE-6023D4B09B0B.jpeg

Classic :)

That show was different and even my parents got a kick out of it. They didnt care for x-men until the Phoenix saga, but man cartoons were fun. Killer tomatoes of the green variety, good times!