• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

Awesome stuff as always! I have definitely spent more money completing some vehicles than I would have if I'd just bought a complete on outright, but for me, the fun is in hunting the stuff down, cleaning it up and restoring it. Salvaging those pieces off of trashed shells, trying to make one nice piece out of a pile of garbage. Takes a lot of time and horse trading, but it's a satisfying side hobby within the greater hobby of toy collecting.

Speaking of which, I finally got my Moray completed and assembled (itself a frankenstein creation from three different trashed donors), just have to put the stickers on an we'll be finished!

12 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Thanks. I completed my Night Striker recently for about $150 total in about 2 months so I’m optimistic. I’ll just have to be patient. For the time being I just enjoy having it. I’m going to try out the motor tomorrow. Here are some better pics of the toys I’ve cleaned up so far

C6FC8C71-FEBB-4E02-A28F-DCDAAFB91BE5.jpeg

DDB9E347-3384-4BEF-857A-2B6E46504EBE.jpeg

AD57B6B6-3D05-45AB-8F2E-AC3B624A9632.jpeg

47A37602-2AAF-486E-B68B-FC652904D656.jpeg

8D12510B-1D42-46E4-916E-24E9ED91F501.jpeg

5F9AF540-DE2A-45EE-B256-61F412DC710E.jpeg

Don't know if you know this but your lifeline is the 1991 Kellogg's Mail away.  He has no holster on his right leg.  He will be easier to complete since he came with less accessories.  

Edited by whisp

1 hour ago, whisp said:

Don't know if you know this but your lifeline is the 1991 Kellogg's Mail away.  He has no holster on his right leg.  He will be easier to complete since he came with less accessories.  

I saw that in the guide yesterday. That's pretty neat. I'm surprised he isnt worth a little more. Do you know of any good Joe shops online? Im familar with Dallas Vintage Toys, but it seems to be hit and miss on the stuff I need.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Awesome stuff as always! I have definitely spent more money completing some vehicles than I would have if I'd just bought a complete on outright, but for me, the fun is in hunting the stuff down, cleaning it up and restoring it. Salvaging those pieces off of trashed shells, trying to make one nice piece out of a pile of garbage. Takes a lot of time and horse trading, but it's a satisfying side hobby within the greater hobby of toy collecting.

Speaking of which, I finally got my Moray completed and assembled (itself a frankenstein creation from three different trashed donors), just have to put the stickers on an we'll be finished!

Thanks man. I do enjoy restoring projects. I'm finally starting to amass some bins of partial vehicles and parts. Which is kind of my vision. To be able to get stuff in and sort it out to rebuild things. For some reason I struggle coming across figures. My friend is the opposite and is more into figures. Hes on his way to completing all of the original line. I'm more into the vehicles, so I guess it works out.

Awesome deal on the Murray!That's gotta be one of my top 10 vehicles. I looking forward to seeing it with the new stickers.

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

New addition from the 80s! 

Zoids! Had this one as a kid, so I had to bid. a little Starriors-ish...

1466215274_IMG_20190819_1936532.thumb.jpg.11fdf3ecb127b27c38d3799a4e867d2c.jpg

1860830236_IMG_20190819_1937022.thumb.jpg.29fbea160a2f2c3485e3e7bea7beaf98.jpg

Funny you mentioned Zoids. 

A Robo Strux was available in the G1 collection I bought 2 weeks ago. 

Can't believe how detailed they are.  Pretty cool toys.  Surprised how little mine is worth.  

Especially with so many parts. 

Seems a little silly that the company was renaming the toy line so frequently. 

Patrick 

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Funny you mentioned Zoids. 

A Robo Strux was available in the G1 collection I bought 2 weeks ago. 

Can't believe how detailed they are.  Pretty cool toys.  Surprised how little mine is worth.  

Especially with so many parts. 

Seems a little silly that the company was renaming the toy line so frequently. 

Patrick 

Yeah trying to follow the naming changes for this line is crazy and nonsensical. 

The toys started out in Japan as Mechabonica, when they introduced them in the US they renamed them Zoids.

Zoids did far better in their US release, so they re-released them in Japan under the name Zoids. 

Then the US division of TOMY looked to expand the Zoids line but with new "figures" (not based on the original Japan releases) so along came the Robo Strux, probably branded differently to avoid having to pay the Japan TOMY division their licensing fees. 

Then TOMY created a larger scale of the ZOIDs  but they were not a hit. 

So what did TOMY do? REBRAND IT AGAIN! Same unsuccessful scale, but now named Zevle. and guess what. they also failed. 

at that point (we're up to like 1996 now) Kenner bought the US rights to Zoids who tried a few different versions and nothing ever took off. 

16 hours ago, miraclemet said:

New addition from the 80s! 

Zoids! Had this one as a kid, so I had to bid. a little Starriors-ish...

1466215274_IMG_20190819_1936532.thumb.jpg.11fdf3ecb127b27c38d3799a4e867d2c.jpg

1860830236_IMG_20190819_1937022.thumb.jpg.29fbea160a2f2c3485e3e7bea7beaf98.jpg

Love it! GI Joe and Transformers get all of the love, but there were SO many cool toy lines in the 80's, far and away the peak of the action figure market. 

11 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I enjoyed Starcom

Yeah! Starcom ruled! I have this guy hanging out at my desk at work, he's been in every office I've ever worked in.

Starcom, Air Raiders, Dino Riders, Crystar, Zoids, Super Naturals, Blackstar, Captain Power, Eagle Force, etc etc etc What a great time to be a kid!

IMG_0839.JPG

36 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I enjoyed Starcom

14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah! Starcom ruled! I have this guy hanging out at my desk at work, he's been in every office I've ever worked in.

Starcom, Air Raiders, Dino Riders, Crystar, Zoids, Super Naturals, Blackstar, Captain Power, Eagle Force, etc etc etc What a great time to be a kid!

Starcom might have been one of the best toys that never had its proper respect. 

Everything was kind of in scale with the figures.  There were playsets and vehicles and vehicles that go inside other vehicles and it was not too cost or space prohibitive. 

Damn both of you... now I am going to start looking into getting a Starmax Bomber. 

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Duplicate post... 

So I've alluded to the ongoing war against the wasps... and I believe the war is over.  

I did many a shovel strike into the earth pouring chemicals and bleach into it. 

Today I yanked out the rotted stump and roots of something long buried and the remains of a now gelatinous mass around it.  There were two strays that flew at me and I hit one with the broom (reflex - trust me, no skill) and as it was stunned to the ground I stomped it and slid my foot. As that happened his wingman stung my ankle and I smacked it dead.  I think that is about 6-7 stings over the course of the week.  War over and the flies are feasting on the remains of the hive on the lawn.

So because I yanked out part of the cement rockwall... I had to start digging to replace it with a new wall I will build. Then I found this... 

It's cool.  It's a spoil of war. I want to keep it.  So how do I clean it up?  I can make out a 1966 Matchbox stamp on it and miraculously the stickers are in tact.  According to the online guide and based on the wheel type, it was produced from 1966-1969.  

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_3021.jpeg

I found a tootsie school bus by metal detecting my front yard lol

In a little better condition

I imagine kids playing jacks in the front yard, mine is from the 40's, so they played nearly 80 years ago lol

Rubber wheels still turn and all that jazz ha.

20190820_141210.jpg

20190820_141240.jpg

Mine might be an older "firetruck", rather than school bus, thanks for having me dig it out of storage @Buzzetta lots of love to unearthing, even if you did get your foot stung! :headbang: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Kind of cool that this was buried in the ground for at least 35+ years... most likely 40-45 years... 

IMG_3044.jpeg

That is super cool!I'd be out with a detector like adamantium,for sure.I've read and seen a few things about people in the NY five burrows coming across great finds in back yard areas where the outdoor loo would have been.It was often used as a trash disposal area.Jewelry,rare bottles,all sorts of neat stuff.

8 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

That is super cool!I'd be out with a detector like adamantium,for sure.I've read and seen a few things about people in the NY five burrows coming across great finds in back yard areas where the outdoor loo would have been.It was often used as a trash disposal area.Jewelry,rare bottles,all sorts of neat stuff.

Nah... I have other things to do... like redesign and rebuild a new retaining wall from here I had to remove the underground wasp nest. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 9.54.48 AM.png

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Nah... I have other things to do... like redesign and rebuild a new retaining wall from here I had to remove the underground wasp nest. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 9.54.48 AM.png

Could be a future endeavour?Who knows what gems you have buried?As a kid I had a field day(hyuck) searching around an old farmers rubbish heap digging antique bottles,cobalt glass,belt buckles and stuff.

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

Could be a future endeavour?Who knows what gems you have buried?As a kid I had a field day(hyuck) searching around an old farmers rubbish heap digging antique bottles,cobalt glass,belt buckles and stuff.

No. Just no. lol