• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2019 at 1:41 AM, Buzzetta said:

No... double no...

I am still waiting for my Larry Hama figure that I supported years ago.  I get an email every two months saying that there is another unforeseen delay or some new shenanigan going on.  This was from a smaller company making their own GI Joe style and sized action figures.

Hasbro said it would get it done and now hasbro got it done.  

It also seems as if the remaining barges are only going to be whatever was left over from the production run and that those will be made available to countries outside the United Stats first.  I saw the list of countries that the eBay listing will be made available to and the US was not on the list.

Kickstarters can be difficult but it is supposed to be about, at least as far as I know, people getting money because they can't get elsewhere. Not companies that should and do have resources and access to money. I've read about tons of Kickstarters with medium and big companies that once they get the money, they still give priority to getting the product out to reviewers and on shelves first, before the people that gave them the Kickstarter money. And also these established companies having poor communication if they respond at all when things go wrong. Not giving the items or bonuses that were purchased. And other nonsense.

That's why I lean towards the small company or person. And if things go wrong and that person is incompetent then so be it. Hopefully you didn't give them a lot of money or there was something you noticed about the project before backing it. Usually when people start talking about health issues, or life problems, etc during the Kickstarter as reasons for not posting or updating something. That is a bad sign to not give them your money as the business shouldn't stop because of that. Same goes for the plan for the product. If it seems fishy or too big for a small company then you probably shouldn't back it.

If this is the Kickstarter you are talking about.

I'm not sure I would have backed that one. I would have just waited for a possible official release.

45 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

well im on an 80s nostalgia kick. Was watching a beatup Battle Beast  MoC head towards $100 in an ebay auction, so I went and put an $80 offer in on a minty MOC piece that had been sitting with a BIN/OBO and the guy took it.  Remembered these guys from childhood, so I'm happy to have an example for my 80s collection. Love that their gimic was nothing more than an action figure version of paper-rock-scissors!

20190326_214818.jpg.31a8c2db9674affb43af0f316e25c806.jpg

Battle beasts are great! I only had a handful as a kid, but the sculpts and paint are so nice for a little figure like that. Very cool!

Insane Godzilla and model collection at the estate auction today. I went to $450 for the Castle Grayskull Fortress of Mystery and power but was the underbidder; since I don't know too much about that stuff I didn';t want to go too deep out of my depth. The same guy who took that beat me on four items total but I took home 2 artists editions (Simonson Thor and Steranko Nick Fury) and Alien The Illustrated Story Original Art Edition. I also dropped out on the Marvel Slipcase thing that is designed like the Baxter Building and has 11 hardcovers in it!

Here are some photos I took of the Godzilla stuff to make you all jealous.

D2yBRj8UwAMNy34.jpgD2yBRj9VAAMBRY9.jpgD2yBRj7U8AECeWV.jpgD2yBRkAUgAEevFa.jpgD2yBTjWVYAIhim6.jpgD2yBTjSUcAMFj-Q.jpg

I cannot tell you what they went for as I left as this section of the estate auction was starting but I can say that things were expected to fetch fmv or above and there were about 40 middle aged guys there and some women too frothing at the bit!

Edited by Bird

18 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Godzilla stuff is a great reselling market except you need to know what you are doing. 

It helps to read Japanese too

18 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Kickstarters can be difficult but it is supposed to be about, at least as far as I know, people getting money because they can't get elsewhere. Not companies that should and do have resources and access to money. I've read about tons of Kickstarters with medium and big companies that once they get the money, they still give priority to getting the product out to reviewers and on shelves first, before the people that gave them the Kickstarter money. And also these established companies having poor communication if they respond at all when things go wrong. Not giving the items or bonuses that were purchased. And other nonsense.

That's why I lean towards the small company or person. And if things go wrong and that person is incompetent then so be it. Hopefully you didn't give them a lot of money or there was something you noticed about the project before backing it. Usually when people start talking about health issues, or life problems, etc during the Kickstarter as reasons for not posting or updating something. That is a bad sign to not give them your money as the business shouldn't stop because of that. Same goes for the plan for the product. If it seems fishy or too big for a small company then you probably shouldn't back it.

If this is the Kickstarter you are talking about.

I'm not sure I would have backed that one. I would have just waited for a possible official release.

There won't be an official release as this was made off the official molds for the Eagle Force figures... basically this guy hired a firm in China that never made action figures before.  They sent out an email asking for recipients not to share it.  However I will summarize.  The factory in China has never done this before and does not know what they are doing.  They gave excuse after excuse and now someone else is stepping in to oversee the project for Hama AND Eagle Force. 

On 3/29/2019 at 4:47 PM, Buzzetta said:

There won't be an official release as this was made off the official molds for the Eagle Force figures... basically this guy hired a firm in China that never made action figures before.  They sent out an email asking for recipients not to share it.  However I will summarize.  The factory in China has never done this before and does not know what they are doing.  They gave excuse after excuse and now someone else is stepping in to oversee the project for Hama AND Eagle Force. 

But you don't think Hasbro would make an official Hama figure one day?

2 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

But you don't think Hasbro would make an official Hama figure one day?

Hasbro isn't even making GI Joe figures.  

GI Joe is a dead line to them for the foreseeable future.  On top of that they cancelled the club contract.  The only way I see GI Joe figures produced is if they go back to their 2005-2007 model of Direct to Consumer which is a viable option since they did the thing with the Barge and rebranded their online store as Hasbro Pulse.   

BTW... that Snake Eyes film that was supposed to do to the line what Bumblebee did has hit a snag as the director is already off doing something else first. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Figures don't usually stand on their own for long.  If they're not supported by television shows, movies, or video games to generate interest in the characters, they tend to fade within a decade.  Unless G.I. Joe movies or shows catch fire, I doubt the figures will become viable again.

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Figures don't usually stand on their own for long.  If they're not supported by television shows, movies, or video games to generate interest in the characters, they tend to fade within a decade.  Unless G.I. Joe movies or shows catch fire, I doubt the figures will become viable again.

Hasbro handles the GI Joe license the way Larry Dolan handles the Knicks... or how the Wilpons handle the Mets.

The next Haslab Project is up and running. 

Hasbro Haslab is caving into another massive request.  The GI Joe Flagg from GI Joe Resolute.

GI Joe Resolute was a 2009 cartoon movie that was far better than the cartoon written by Warren Ellis. The movie was VERY well received and many fans said that it was what Rise of Cobra should have been.  Either way Hasbro released a toy line centered around it.  In 2011 Hasbro revealed the mockup for the Resolute Flagg at Joe Con along with several other items that they said were in the vault for a future release. General's Joes showed the pics HERE and here are the pics from the 2012 show of the prototypes that were vaulted from Hisstank HERE.  Almost all of the figures have found their way into the hands of collectors and now it is possible that the Resolute Flagg may as well. 

Hasbro is asking $650 for this thing which while it is slightly larger than the barge it is almost twice as wide.  While it is mostly a shell with drawers it features twin launchpads and that are skyhawk sized a working comm tower as well as a working elevator to store your mini jets and planes in the bowels of the aircraft carrier.   The only images currently up are the prototype mockups.  I took the liberty of including reference material from the cartoon to compare. 

Preorders opened today and will close on May 1st. If there are 5500 units preordered Hasbro will go ahead and produce the Resolute Flagg. 

Specs: 

• One US Flagg 
  • Dimensions: 58" length, 22" width, 23" height.
  • Features multiple storage and entry points, dual launch pads, lift and lock elevator and lower "sea level" launch pads.
  • Exclusive Admiral Keel Haul Figure with Commemorative Stand
  • Exclusive Shipwreck Figure with Commemorative Stand
  • Exclusive Torpedo Figure with Commemorative Stand

Projected ship date is 3rd Quarter of 2020 if the project is given a go.

Yo Joe !

More info from HASLAB preorder

03_Resolute_Flagg.jpg

01_Resolute_Flagg.jpg

resolute-ep2-0003_1240011616.jpg

Resolute-flagg.jpg

Went to a jimmycrackkorn antique/garage sale show on Saturday. 

Instantly regretted it as I saw the same ole dealers stalking around.  

Someone got a sizeable He-man collection for a good price.  Otherwise, virtually nothing toy or comic related. 

If I walk out not buying something, that's pretty sad. 

Followed up with a toy show in Denver on Sunday. 

Was really impressed with the number of buyers at the show.  I've been to every show in the last 15 years and it was much larger this round. 

So pleased so see the interest.  They opened it with stacks of people waiting to get in and announced "on your mark, get set, GO!".  Probably not the smartest thing to do in that crowd. 

The toy selection was pretty mediocre.  I'l post a thing or two.  

On a side note, I absolutely HATE how dealers can gut each other before shows start.  So disappointing and somewhat ruins shows.  One of my buddies' entire booths was nearly gone before a single customer could even look.  

Patrick 

I buy early JP's like these when I run across them. 

Not worth much, but super cool.  

Though the cards are a throwback to yesteryear, I really like them as an inclusion. 

Nice shape, looks like they just came off the hooks at a store. 

I sure don't remember a Dimetrodon in the 1st movie. 

Patrick

20190401_205438.jpg