• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Went to a Joe Convention today. It was hot but my son and I had fun. Here’s the haul. And Destro yelling at a Cobra trooper. My son pretty much got all the stuff he was after. It’s great seeing him enjoy the hobby. I checked off another MP seeker. I just need Starscream to finish the US releases

C22E7698-F398-415E-BEC5-8F26226D4D7A.jpeg

0B3BF496-DE1B-4B6C-9DAB-CBDE4F7481E3.jpeg

FANG with cage and unbroken propeller is a good find.  I have had three so far and all have had no cage and  been broken so stripped them of parts and sold as fodder.   Snow Cat rocket launcher tabs break so be careful when storing that.

1 hour ago, whisp said:

FANG with cage and unbroken propeller is a good find.  I have had three so far and all have had no cage and  been broken so stripped them of parts and sold as fodder.   Snow Cat rocket launcher tabs break so be careful when storing that.

Thanks man. Some of the vehicles i got were bagged up so I couldn't really inspect them all the way. The cage has some issues where its bending in one direction. I'll try to fix it later, but overall pretty happy. I almost bought a bug for a good price but it had some yellowing.

Only thing that bummed me out was that Mark Bellomo was supposed to be at the show but his flight got cancelled. I was looking forward to meeting him.

Edited by STORMSHADOW_80

6 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Does anyone know why the Joe Con was permanently cancelled (last one in Chatanooga)? 
I need to find a show to attend. 

Patrick

Sure. The club lost the contract with Hasbro.

A couple of years ago Hasbro wanted to copy Marvel and consolidate their properties into a shared universe.  The idea was to somehow create a cinematic universe spanning multiple other media platforms involving the Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, Visionaries, Micronauts and ROM.  The characters were to interact across the movies, comics, TV, toy lines and across the cons. 

For years Fun Publications has held the license as the official fan club for Transformers and GI Joe holding Botcon and Joe con conventions. Fun Publications had access to Hasbro molds and offered opportunities to create Hasbro product with Hasbro input that Hasbro did not think would be effectively sold on retail shelves.  Want a Shattered Glass Universe Optimus Prime?  Fun Publications will make that this years convention exclusive.  Wish Hasbro had made Tomax and Xamot in business suits?  The club used previous molds and repainted the parts from various Hasbro lines to cover you.  Wish Hasbro had made a Big Ben? Fun Publications worked with Hasbro to procure the molds for a body and contracted Boss Fight studios for the head.  Voila - figure issued. 

Then Hasbro dropped the first shoe. 

Hasbro trademarked "HasCon" a few years ago and declined to renew the Transformers license with Fun Publications.  They also informed them that they had a year to go on GI Joe because they would not renew the GI Joe license either.  Obviously Hasbro had big plans for the lines and knew what they were doing... (Arrested Development Narrator: "They didn't.)

The club shut down the Transformers division and announced to the fans that the club had not been able to renew the license.  Then as Hasbro does all things the way they do, from pack assortments to product reaching shelves, they realized that they did not have any viable plans for GI Joe.  They hastily renewed the license with the club on a tentative basis and Fun Publications continued to be the ONLY outlet that you could buy GI Joe product.  By this time though the shared universe idea between Hasbro properties had only gotten off the ground with some mentions in a few IDW comic books and one, yes one, SDCC boxed set featuring a character from each of the five lines. 

Coincidentally Fun Publications was given an official, "This is it." from Hasbro as Hasbro announced the Snake Eyes movie.  The club is shutting down with all remaining product currently sitting at 40% off.  Here is the thing though...  Snake Eyes has been delayed yet again and is looking at a 2021 release if at all. The director already moved on to something else.  There is no new Joe product coming down the pipeline.  The club said in closing that they might have offered the last of the line in the format that we know it.  This was translated to readers that the rumored 6" line could be announced at SDCC or it could be years away.  Hascon is a bust, Hasbro goofed with promotion of one of it's most lucrative in house properties and may have effectively killed the brand for the next few years damaging it for many more years to come. 

While I never went to a Joe show I have to admit that they looked more engaging and fun than most comic cons.  Hasbro attended and showed off upcoming product and concept figures in the vault.  Voice actors attended along with comic creators of the Joe books.  There were kitbashing and custom making workshops to design figures.  There were convention exclusives and the infamous Joe parachute drops where attendees had access to GI Joe exclusive figures with cloth parachutes and stage an invasion of sorts by releasing them all at once.  (I never attended but I do have Freefall and his parachute in my desk next to me.)

Fun Publications was often criticized for making certain tooling choices for club figures they offered at $35 each but we must remember that they were limited by what Hasbro ok'd.  Now that they are gone, I think the fans did not realize what they had and that anything Fun Publications did was better than what Hasbro was doing and is currently up to. 

RIP Fun Publications and the Joe Club - they were the only keepers of the torch. 

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

@STORMSHADOW_80 Acid Storm is an amazing piece.  I think the pilots name is an easter egg or something.  

Thanks Buzz! I slept on Acid Storm when it was released. I should have used the layway program more often. Out of all the seekers i think I'm most excited to open this one up soon.

Thanks for the Hasbro/Joe write up. It's too bad things worked out the way they did with the line. There was a licensing expo last week in Vegas where many people were hoping new Joes would be show cased. Unfortunately they werent. We just got confirmation that the Snake Eyes movie is pushed back to 10/16/2020 and possibly 2021. That movie is our big hope. With TRU shut down hasbro will have to get Joe products in regular retail stores again.

17 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Sure. The club lost the contract with Hasbro.

A couple of years ago Hasbro wanted to copy Marvel and consolidate their properties into a shared universe.  The idea was to somehow create a cinematic universe spanning multiple other media platforms involving the Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, Visionaries, Micronauts and ROM.  The characters were to interact across the movies, comics, TV, toy lines and across the cons. 

For years Fun Publications has held the license as the official fan club for Transformers and GI Joe holding Botcon and Joe con conventions. Fun Publications had access to Hasbro molds and offered opportunities to create Hasbro product with Hasbro input that Hasbro did not think would be effectively sold on retail shelves.  Want a Shattered Glass Universe Optimus Prime?  Fun Publications will make that this years convention exclusive.  Wish Hasbro had made Tomax and Xamot in business suits?  The club used previous molds and repainted the parts from various Hasbro lines to cover you.  Wish Hasbro had made a Big Ben? Fun Publications worked with Hasbro to procure the molds for a body and contracted Boss Fight studios for the head.  Voila - figure issued. 

Then Hasbro dropped the first shoe. 

Hasbro trademarked "HasCon" a few years ago and declined to renew the Transformers license with Fun Publications.  They also informed them that they had a year to go on GI Joe because they would not renew the GI Joe license either.  Obviously Hasbro had big plans for the lines and knew what they were doing... (Arrested Development Narrator: "They didn't.)

The club shut down the Transformers division and announced to the fans that the club had not been able to renew the license.  Then as Hasbro does all things the way they do, from pack assortments to product reaching shelves, they realized that they did not have any viable plans for GI Joe.  They hastily renewed the license with the club on a tentative basis and Fun Publications continued to be the ONLY outlet that you could buy GI Joe product.  By this time though the shared universe idea between Hasbro properties had only gotten off the ground with some mentions in a few IDW comic books and one, yes one, SDCC boxed set featuring a character from each of the five lines. 

Coincidentally Fun Publications was given an official, "This is it." from Hasbro as Hasbro announced the Snake Eyes movie.  The club is shutting down with all remaining product currently sitting at 40% off.  Here is the thing though...  Snake Eyes has been delayed yet again and is looking at a 2021 release if at all. The director already moved on to something else.  There is no new Joe product coming down the pipeline.  The club said in closing that they might have offered the last of the line in the format that we know it.  This was translated to readers that the rumored 6" line could be announced at SDCC or it could be years away.  Hascon is a bust, Hasbro goofed with promotion of one of it's most lucrative in house properties and may have effectively killed the brand for the next few years damaging it for many more years to come. 

While I never went to a Joe show I have to admit that they looked more engaging and fun than most comic cons.  Hasbro attended and showed off upcoming product and concept figures in the vault.  Voice actors attended along with comic creators of the Joe books.  There were kitbashing and custom making workshops to design figures.  There were convention exclusives and the infamous Joe parachute drops where attendees had access to GI Joe exclusive figures with cloth parachutes and stage an invasion of sorts by releasing them all at once.  (I never attended but I do have Freefall and his parachute in my desk next to me.)

Fun Publications was often criticized for making certain tooling choices for club figures they offered at $35 each but we must remember that they were limited by what Hasbro ok'd.  Now that they are gone, I think the fans did not realize what they had and that anything Fun Publications did was better than what Hasbro was doing and is currently up to. 

RIP Fun Publications and the Joe Club - they were the only keepers of the torch. 

Thanks for the info. 
I wish they could have kept it going minus the Hasbro and promotional items.  But I guess that would just make it a normal toy show.  Which I would still enjoy, just wouldn't draw near enough people. 

I was supposed to attend the Chatanooga show last year, but unfortunately couldn't due to work.  Super bummed. 

Patrick

9 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Thanks for the info. 
I wish they could have kept it going minus the Hasbro and promotional items.  But I guess that would just make it a normal toy show.  Which I would still enjoy, just wouldn't draw near enough people. 

I was supposed to attend the Chatanooga show last year, but unfortunately couldn't due to work.  Super bummed. 

Patrick

Well the club store was opened to everyone now. So... if you wanna pick up a couple of things... 

My find of the day.  I don't collect repaints such as a night force, tiger force unless they fall in my lap and not my primary collecting focus so getting that 88 Slaughter completed my Joe side for 1988.  Just need Nullifier for 88 and have that year done for enemy side.  Happy to find a broken Night Viper with good leg posts so got it cheap and after a repair/leg switch I will have that figure done 100% :)

countdownjow.jpg

Edited by whisp

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Well the club store was opened to everyone now. So... if you wanna pick up a couple of things... 

I'm really only a vintage toy collector. 

I sold anything from the 90s thru current some time ago.  Only 90s items I pick up now are occasional Joes and some Jurassic Park. 

In retrospect, I had largely chosen well for the newer toys and should have kept them.  Regret selling my 2000 Commemorative He-man set and McFarlane Jaws deluxe. 

Patrick

14 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I felt pretty stoked about the ERTL hardcopy Batman and Joker I picked up from a collector friend a few years back, so to have been able to pick up the silicone molds for them is that much sweeter. Had a bit of a shipping snafu with the Joker mold today, showing as delivered, but not to me. Luckily, I have honest neighbours, otherwise who knows where this might have ended-up. :/

IMG_20190612_2102327.thumb.jpg.99ab3c618bd44e78b7b175d50278bd17.jpg

The Kenner Super Powers head and torso are a nice feather in the cap. After adding the first shot figure, I had wanted to find a head, as I had developed a knack for missing two listings in a prototype group. Thankfully, one of the members remembered my side collecting thing with my son and not only offered me the head, but also the torso. I quite like the way they display on an acrylic stand.

IMG_20190601_0901466.thumb.jpg.fc9ef59934ce680f67406e1c9d7f3c80.jpg

I also got a PM today that brightened my day - again a collector who contacted me knowing my interest in a certain toy manufactured by a certain toy manufacturer. I'll post more on this when it arrives. :smile:

As always, unbelievably cool stuff! :golfclap:

GI Joe Club Store selling everything off at 50% off now... 

Picked up two more figures of the Final 12 which was basically the Action Man vs Cobra Coils 

Jinx for future resale 

Rock n Roll Carded for future resale x 2

Not bad to be honest. 

This is the end of the 3 3/4" it seems. 

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Picked up two more figures of the Final 12 which was basically the Action Man vs Cobra Coils 

Jinx for future resale 

Not bad to be honest. 

I don't think its the end.  With all the changes and new staff they brought in I think they are just pausing for a bit.  2020 is the now release date of Snake Eyes movie and they have stated it takes 2 years of R&D and manufacturing to produce a toy line so its still possible.  Also have the new headquarters or whatever they are doing with that which is mid 2019 and upcoming.  Just had the news release 2 days ago that Super Impulse is bringing-forth a new series of officially licensed World’s Smallest G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero toyline so GI Joe is stlll being licensed and moving forward.  Its happened before between 94 and 97.  Personally I think its just a step back while they get organized and figuring out how they want to move forward.

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Jinx for future resale 

Not bad to be honest. 

Thanks for the heads up! I don't have any Kenner Standard tagged items in my collection .... might need to grab one or two.

Official pics of Transformers MP-47 Hound have been revealed and he looks great.  Will be the first new MP I will purchase in over a year.  Crazy how the prices have risen so much, Hasbro Pulse is selling it on pre order for $170.  Will wait to get it from one of the overseas ebay sellers at a much cheaper price.

16 minutes ago, whisp said:

I don't think its the end.  With all the changes and new staff they brought in I think they are just pausing for a bit.  2020 is the now release date of Snake Eyes movie and they have stated it takes 2 years of R&D and manufacturing to produce a toy line so its still possible.  Also have the new headquarters or whatever they are doing with that which is mid 2019 and upcoming.  Just had the news release 2 days ago that Super Impulse is bringing-forth a new series of officially licensed World’s Smallest G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero toyline so GI Joe is stlll being licensed and moving forward.  Its happened before between 94 and 97.  Personally I think its just a step back while they get organized and figuring out how they want to move forward.

But that is the problem.  Snake Eyes was delayed until 2021 with a tentative release date.  With the two year lead in time required for a toy line, outside of a movie never being produced (which I could actually see), I think my greatest concern would be for Hasbro to do what they did with Retaliation.  If you remember, the toys were released for that movie 1-2 months before the premiere when all of a sudden the movie was pulled a month before its release date and delayed under the reason that they needed to work on it for a 3D release.  In the meantime that was to reshoot a few scenes after poor screening reviews.   Stores became annoyed because there was no media to support the released toys as promised and the toys languished on the shelves.  The initial waves were weak with more attention paid to subsequent waves  that were released a year later.  Earlier performance caused retailers to abandon orders or order conservatively.  With little to no support the line has been damaged since. 

The Super Impulse line is more akin to when Gentle Giant or Funko go the GI Joe license.  Figures appear to have 3POA and will have a niche market.  It's sad to me that Hasbro is licensing out one of its top properties to other companies to make minifigures or vinyls or statues because they have no concrete plan.  

The last time that Hasbro proper released a mainstream line was in 2013.

The last time that Hasbro proper released a GI Joe figure was in 2016 available at TRU as part of the 50th line and select online retailers. 

Walmart and Target has not seen a GI Joe figure since 2013.

I am hoping that they are set to announce or show something or anything at SDCC.