• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I am super grateful to have finally been able to complete my run of the three generations of Irwin Toy's unproduced Voltron III Mini Lion. Can't say enough about the way things have come together in terms of me furthering my research on this neat little toy, so it only seems appropriate to share this little milestone with you guys. It is a lengthy article, but I go into all the details here to unveil it's obscure history for anyone interested in learning more about it: http://bit.ly/2IVA5WF

IMG_20190620_0907353.thumb.jpg.714aa1b8e445c00dad200472bc5a3ed0.jpg

Nice article.  I liked Voltron as a kid but never had any of it.  Had a friend that had a set and use to play with it though.  When the new cartoon came out I looked at the new toyline and wanted to get the whole set but everywhere I looked like amazon and such they where always missing a lion plus because of my timing the prices had gone up and was just to expensive for me.

I only have one part in my whole toy collection and that is a 1984 Voltron Panosh Place Princess pink helmet lol.

princessvoltronhelmet.jpg

Edited by whisp

13 hours ago, whisp said:

Nice article.  I liked Voltron as a kid but never had any of it.  Had a friend that had a set and use to play with it though.  When the new cartoon came out I looked at the new toyline and wanted to get the whole set but everywhere I looked like amazon and such they where always missing a lion plus because of my timing the prices had gone up and was just to expensive for me.

I only have one part in my whole toy collection and that is a 1984 Voltron Panosh Place Princess pink helmet lol.

princessvoltronhelmet.jpg

Thanks! Yeah the Deluxe lion set (aka as the DX) is the largest size Voltron, and retailed in Canada with an MSRP of $90 (listed as $89.99 in that screengrab of the Toy City ad in the article) , which was about the going rate for a decent starter bike from Canadian Tire in those days. This was also on the heels of the Depression of the 1980's in Canada, so it's understandable that many wouldn't have been able to have one as a kid. I didn't get one but my cousin did, and I remember how much I wanted one when I saw his. It was a luxury toy item, and in today's toy collector market, it is slowly becoming the gold standard, as people are beginning to realize the Irwin Toys Canadian release was a game changer. It's the only set with all the weapons, outside of the foreign release ones made in the early 80's. Personally, I prefer the Irwin Toys DX by a landslide, the only issue is they are insanely rare. I only know of my set, and one other set which came up last year. I've since been in conversation with the new owner, and have been able to learn that Irwin also made a transition set, but that's a discussion for another time. 

The loose GB-36's that come on the market now are too often missing the green or red lion head (sometimes both) or are in a state of disrepair. I got lucky and picked one up from a collector friend who runs a shop in NY  and who I've helped out in the past, by helping to ID and price stuff that comes into his shop.

The Panosh Place is a highly underappreciated toy line. As a kid I had no time for it, but as an adult collector, I've become quite fond of it. Not to the point where the absence of nostalgia has made me want to jump in and buy them, but there is an unproduced 2nd wave that is quite cool - a discusion for another time you'll have to remind me to tell you guys about.

Edited by comicwiz

15 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Sweeeet setup/display, and I love that lightbox background!! Well done!

Thanks so much, I appreciate it! It has been a lot of fun to go from 0 to 60 in my Transformers collection and share it with folks who like cool stuff!

A display of the World's largest collection of Godzilla toys

Vinyl Conflict: The World of Godzilla Toys

Featuring the collection of film editor Mark Livolsi 

Saturday June 22nd 7-11pm and Sunday June 23 Noon-8pm 

Gallery Nucleus

210 E. Main St.

Alhambra, Ca.   (Los Angeles)

First the positive - Always feel blessed to attend toy shows.  

Less than positive - Went to a show this weekend.  It was pretty sub-par.  Couldn't fill all the vendor spots and the attendance was less than stellar.  Which clearly resulted in marginal product being present. 

My limited purchases:

A) Very nice Six Shot.  Surprising to me how cheap people sell it for.  Such a killer G1 toy.  The articulation sucks, but I like his stiff appearance in robot mode. 

B) Check Point Alpha has been on my list for a LONG time.  Finally a decent price.  Love the addition of the clipboard in the set.  This set is the perfect example of both simplicity and the right amount of detail.  NOTE: This seller has a unique selling strategy.  He brings tons of the low cost vintage sets and figures.  In many cases, he has 4-5 of every set.  Ends up selling a few sets per person.  Seems to do pretty well. I've not seen a dealer shy from the big ticket items (like the Rattler, Whale, Terrordrome, etc).

C) Final piece is a portion of the rare G1 Overlord (not US released).  Notorious for being broken (4 side wings and the white master covers).  Pretty nice shape and white.  May be a nice replacement when I buy a lot with more parts.

20190623_175525.jpg

20190623_173959.jpg

20190623_175723.jpg

Since I finally finished up the Transformers collection, I can now turn to my next resto projects! Picked up the Rattler shell for $15 in Knoxville last summer, and slowly managed to pick up all of the parts I needed. I got the Terror Drome at KY Joe fest last summer, and it is 100% complete, but needs a LOT of TLC. It's GRIMY. Gonna be work, but it'll be fun!

IMG_8283.JPG

IMG_8284.JPG

IMG_8285.JPG

IMG_8286.JPG

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Since I finally finished up the Transformers collection, I can now turn to my next resto projects! Picked up the Rattler shell for $15 in Knoxville last summer, and slowly managed to pick up all of the parts I needed. I got the Terror Drome at KY Joe fest last summer, and it is 100% complete, but needs a LOT of TLC. It's GRIMY. Gonna be work, but it'll be fun!

IMG_8283.JPG

IMG_8284.JPG

IMG_8285.JPG

IMG_8286.JPG

Completing a Rattler from a hull is a pretty good accomplishment nowadays. 

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

IMG_8283.JPG

IMG_8284.JPG

IMG_8285.JPG

IMG_8286.JPG

My cousin as a kid who lived in the country had this terradrome and the flagg... thats about all i ever knew of the joe line, as he was in the contry, it wasn't often I could visit to play...

Congrats! On wanting to put in the effort and the acquisition too ;)

1 hour ago, PKJ said:

Completing a Rattler from a hull is a pretty good accomplishment nowadays. 

Yeah it took about a year! One of my best friends is a longtime Joe collector with a big supply of random parts, so he got me started. The toughest piece was the turret cockpit, I finally had to bite the bullet and pay up to get an unbroken one. It would have been a lot easier to just buy a complete Rattler, but it was a fun project to complete it as cheaply as possible, with no deadline.

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My cousin as a kid who lived in the country had this terradrome and the flagg... thats about all i ever knew of the joe line, as he was in the contry, it wasn't often I could visit to play...

Congrats! On wanting to put in the effort and the acquisition too ;)

Thanks man! The cleaning and completing is as much of a hobby to me as buying the stuff!

59 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah it took about a year! One of my best friends is a longtime Joe collector with a big supply of random parts, so he got me started. The toughest piece was the turret cockpit, I finally had to bite the bullet and pay up to get an unbroken one. It would have been a lot easier to just buy a complete Rattler, but it was a fun project to complete it as cheaply as possible, with no deadline.

The turret cockpit is a problem even on many completed versions.   Constantly breaks. 

Patrick

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

The turret cockpit is a problem even on many completed versions.   Constantly breaks. 

Patrick

Yeah, I really wasn't prepared for how long it would take to find an unbroken one, or how much I'd have to pay!  I got sniped on one back in August, so the next one that finally showed up, I was determined to win, no matter what. I'm sure I paid too much, but it was mine!

Is there somewhere online that has some pricing history/tracking/market valuation for Star Wars vintage stuff (actual vintage, not "vintage line" which is really annoying, why cant they call it something else, nothing worse than seeing the keyword "vintage" return hundreds of new modern off the shelf toys.... wait, I went off the rails)

anywhere with star wars pricing? 

On 6/22/2019 at 7:16 PM, PKJ said:

Had a cool fathers day weekend.Looked in one of his barns and found my NES with the games and a Display case he made for me in 1985/6. I displayed Gi Joe's then baseball cards in my room. I cleaned it up and thought I needed to order a new piece of acrylic but a polish brought it back so out came some of the #1 group got out of their boxes in closests.

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2302.JPG

wow that's cool awesome piece and love the history and the revival of the piece. Question did you use a polishing compound on the plastic?

20 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

wow that's cool awesome piece and love the history and the revival of the piece. Question did you use a polishing compound on the plastic?

Thank you and yes sir, I used an acrylic polish with the high speed buffer, used a terry cloth pad and foam pad.I was shocked by the results honestly.

On 6/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, F For Fake said:

Thanks man! The cleaning and completing is as much of a hobby to me as buying the stuff!

Congrats on finishing the rattler! I ended having to buy a couple pieces for my project as well. That terror drome looks awesome! I cant wait to see it finished

3 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Congrats on finishing the rattler! I ended having to buy a couple pieces for my project as well. That terror drome looks awesome! I cant wait to see it finished

Thanks bud!  Got the Rat all assembled and cleaned up last night, just waiting for the stickers to arrive. As for the Terror Drome, I did manage to get it disassembled without breaking everything, and got all of the small parts cleaned up, but I need to take the lower and upper decks outside so I have some room to make a big soapy mess. Maye this weekend!