• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, whisp said:

This one makes me cry lol.  My Ferret bought complete unbroken in box.  Had it stored and now the one section where wheel attach is broken so now I have to find a new wheel rack.  Damn plastic.

I know it broke because of the stress from the tab to put it together and the tail pipes pushing agasint it.  As the plastic becomes less pliable it snapped.  Its a shame i really like this vehicle.  :(

ferret wheel.jpg

backferret.jpg

Pretty much any joe vehicles I get now I take them apart and store them as parts and not together to relieve any stress on them.

Is it not possible to repair pieces like this, or is there a stigma associated with it, like say a comic with restoration?

2 hours ago, Antpark said:

Is it not possible to repair pieces like this, or is there a stigma associated with it, like say a comic with restoration?

My experience is that "restoration" in the form of stickers, decals, and cleaning, are generally ok with toy collectors. In fact, most of the collectors I know would rather have a clean vehicle with new decals than a crusty old vehicle with yellowed stickers. Stickers are stickers, and most people don't really care. Of course, SOME do. There are always exceptions, and I'm sure there are many collectors who only want vintage stickers. But again, I'd say that the majority that I've interacted with simply don't care if decals and stickers are originals.

But with actual REPAIRS, like gluing something in place, that's really going to be a case by case basis, depending on the nature and extent of the damage. Does the item maintain the same range of motion with the repaired part? How glaring is the repair? Is it ugly?

One way in which toys differ from comics (at least in regard to Joes) is that you  can restore a toy with parts from various other donor toys, and this is fairly common practice; whereas "marrying" pages or a cover in a comic, or creating a "frankenbook", is generally frowned upon. Comic fans seem to prefer all original parts. Toy collectors don't seem as particular as long as it's all there and it looks cool. (Again, there are exceptions.)

However, the biggest obstacle with repairing these pieces is that a lot of the time, it just can't really be done in an efficient and aesthetically pleasing way. This stuff was manufactured from cheap plastic, and was never meant to last. You may be able to glue some stuff, but for the most part you're better off just looking for a replacement part or an entirely new vehicle, because repairs can be difficult on brittle, degraded plastic.

3 hours ago, Antpark said:

This should be able to be repaired fairly easy. I would try the "pinning" method of drilling a small hole and inserting some wire to join the pieces together with some epoxy. I did some repair work on my Flagg. Those things are almost impossible to find not needing something done to them.

But yes restoration is a bit less desirable. At the very least it should be disclosed if you are selling.

5 hours ago, Antpark said:

I could repair it but in definition is a broken piece in my mind and would disclose as.  I could use some plastiweld and weld that back together to the point you wouldn't even know I had repaired it.  In the end though its in my mind that it was broken and I repaired it so most likely I will just search for an incomplete Ferret and either depending on shape of whole Ferret take apart or take apart and take the frame.  It is now stored 100% taken apart now.  All my vehicles are pretty much stripped down and taken apart to the point I feel secure nothing willl break now when storing.  

Edited by whisp

Most repairs are a no-go for me. 

Concerning labeling, my order of preference: 

A) Original labels in good condition. 

B) No labels at all (may even move to "A" if the original full sheet is included).

C) Repro labels

D) Trashed out labels

Unfortunately packed a bunch from the recent acquisition before i took pics.  But here are some that i kept.  Guess ill post all the others some day when they are unpacked.  All virtually complete.

Patrick

20190824_200139.thumb.jpg.289cc374c7d9ba8fd2a06a7198a20a47.jpg

20190824_194735.jpg

20190824_194712.jpg

20190824_192437.jpg

20190824_192416.jpg

20190824_192109.jpg

20190824_195034.jpg

20190824_190547.jpg

Edited by followtheleader

9 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Unfortunately packed a bunch from the recent acquisition before i took pics.  But here are some that i kept.  Guess ill post all the others some day when they are unpacked.  All virtually complete.

Patrick

I love the Micromaster stuff. Been debating about getting a few of the third party mainline characters in that size.  

9 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I got a masterpiece Starscream to complete the hasbro releases. Now I got to find a spot to display them. Also I cleaned up the Mobat and Bridge layer.

4D176FA2-72F9-4021-BD65-B7C5B421C071.jpeg

57A866A6-02EA-492E-961C-662D19869CE4.jpeg

7EBD4428-C8DA-46FA-8481-4412C1F968BB.jpeg

08C343B9-E99E-4991-B462-455109F92CC6.jpeg

Awesome stuff! Love the Megatron .... is it graded?? Love those plastic casings like that :)

Edited by 707comics

1 minute ago, 707comics said:

Awesome stuff! Love the Megatron .... is it graded?? Love those plastic casings like that. Keeps me from having to dust so much :)

Thanks man! I bought the case from AFA. Its not graded. I need an unused sticker sheet still in a bag I think to get Qualified grading by them since the box has been opened. The case is nice though. Keeps it dust free and I don't have to worry about the box getting damaged. I got another acrylic case coming any day now for another project. :cool:

The highs and lows of estate sales!

So this morning I stopped by an estate sale that I'd already visited a couple of weeks ago, as this weekend everything is 50% off. I was returning primarily to check out the Mega Force stuff I'd see last time. When I arrived, they announced that they'd found a bunch of toys in the attic since last time that were all new today. As you might expect, I was pretty stoked. 

I dash into the house, careful to not knock over the senior citizens (apparently most people my age are at work at 8am on a Friday, and normally I would be too, but I took a long weekend vacation) and when I entered bedroom, I found four shelves packed with action figures. I was sure I'd just made my dream score!

However, when I actually got to the shelves, and saw the contents, my heart sank. Oh sure, there were tons of carded figures, but I hope you like Kevin Costner's Robin Hood, Stargate, and Robin Williams Hook! Man alive, what a kick in the pants!

i found a single small tub that appeared to have Transformers, and determined to salvage the morning, I grabbed it. Asked how much they wanted. I offered $20, he wanted $25, fine. I didn't dig through it, figured I'd take a flyer.

I did end up picking up this Mega Force Thorhammer, which is pretty cool. They have a more or less complete set of boxed Mega Force stuff, but their original prices were around $55, so even at 50% off, I hesitated. I'd feel better if they were all around $15-$20 a pop. I paid $15 for this one, which looks like a good buy. I may go back tomorrow and make an offer on everything that's left. They are prettt neat.

Now that I'm home and digging through my $25 TF box, I'm not thrilled, but not totally disheartened. Most everything has broken parts and/or missing pieces. I'll still make money on them, but there's no home run. The hardhead Ninja Turtles were a fun find.

TL;dr: toys! Gah!

IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8654.JPG

IMG_8655.JPG

IMG_8656.JPG

IMG_8657.JPG

IMG_8658.JPG

IMG_8660.JPG

IMG_8662.JPG

Update: NVM looks like they're Pretenders! I'd punched out on TF by the time this stuff came around, so I didn't recognize them.

IMG_8659.JPG

Edited by F For Fake

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I love the Micromaster stuff. Been debating about getting a few of the third party mainline characters in that size.  

Don't know why, but I just can't get enough of Countdown.  Something about that dumb rocket.  

Micromasters can be fun.  A great mix of G1 and Micro Machines. 

Patrick  

11 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I got a masterpiece Starscream to complete the hasbro releases. Now I got to find a spot to display them. Also I cleaned up the Mobat and Bridge layer.

4D176FA2-72F9-4021-BD65-B7C5B421C071.jpeg

57A866A6-02EA-492E-961C-662D19869CE4.jpeg

7EBD4428-C8DA-46FA-8481-4412C1F968BB.jpeg

08C343B9-E99E-4991-B462-455109F92CC6.jpeg

Bridge Layer will always hold a special place in my heart. 

One of the 1st Joe vehicles I got that I remember and I loved it.  

Couldn't believe such a thing could exist.  Funniest part is that it's probably the least offensive thing.  Okay, they tried to spice it up with some cannons.  

Patrick

Was anyone able to score the SDCC Fett?  Kicking myself for getting sidetracked this morning with the whole work thing.  I was able to order one of the Luke three packs this afternoon though. So... at least I have that going for me. 

30 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Was anyone able to score the SDCC Fett?  Kicking myself for getting sidetracked this morning with the whole work thing.  I was able to order one of the Luke three packs this afternoon though. So... at least I have that going for me. 

I just got an email from Hasbro  about the SDCC Fett! It looks awesome! 

14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Some pickups from the LCS. Saw they'd gotten a nice collection of vintage carded TMNT figs. A lot unpunched, some a little wavy, but most priced around $15-$20 so I couldn't pass up the chance to grab a few.

The Universal Monsters were the best of the lot, really love those. Also happy to have a Ray Fillet, as that brought back memories of hunting for the different shirt variants back in the day.

Also picked up this Sky Patrol Skyhawk for $15. Missing the back wings (or rudders or whatever you call them) and missiles but I figured for the money it was shiny enough to bring home. Any of you guys ever cleaned up one of these chromed sky Patrol pieces before? Wonder what is best to remove smudges without being abrasive on the finish.

IMG_8669.JPG

IMG_8671.JPG

IMG_8678.JPG

IMG_8679.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

IMG_8673.JPG

IMG_8674.JPG

IMG_8675.JPG

IMG_8690.JPG

IMG_8691.JPG

IMG_8692.JPG

IMG_8693.JPG

IMG_8694.JPG

IMG_8695.JPG

I would have bought a lot of those Turtles.  

The Universal Black Lagoon Turtle is one of my all-time favs. 

Nice pickup.

Patrick

3 minutes ago, comics4all said:

I just got an email from Hasbro  about the SDCC Fett! It looks awesome! 

Ehh there might be a lot of butthurt over that tomorrow.  

The public on sale date is tomorrow.  However if you were a Hasbro Pulse member you had access to purchase the figure one day early.  I just checked the site after you said that and it still says sold out.  Hopefully they held some back for everyone else to have the opportunity to purchase one.  I just went to eBay and they are offered at $90 each.  I was going to ask someone if they had an extra... but if you can make $50-60 on one then go ahead and sell it. 

If anyone opened one and no longer wants it... hell... I will gladly buy one for my desk.  I have the regular deco release but the classic Kenner deco is pretty cool.