• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,308 posts in this topic

Dark Tower: Nice pick up!  I always thought this was a cool game. My friend in Elementary had this game and we played it a bunch. I learned the word "Brigands" from this game.

It appears that a remake is in the works for 2020:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/3/17649192/dark-tower-board-game-kickstarter-restoration

19 hours ago, bane said:

I picked some DC Heroes from the same seller as they were in really nice condition, have to complete that set now :facepalm:

E06DB52F-AC43-4038-A2A9-26C8F992F4D9.thumb.jpeg.86a0c1454ea97b70c7299e18f1caaa0b.jpeg

7D60F966-CF78-4B32-8623-B138D131C3F8.thumb.jpeg.ff786df429ebd8b2bc7e9f45864f957d.jpeg

57E4E66A-7D5C-4BC9-9BCA-484519B09826.thumb.jpeg.82b7ce62b02d3019ba2083a38e5dca94.jpeg

That's great! You're halfway there! Two Face is one of the less common figures for sure. Great start, now you gotta catch 'em all!

I legit loved that Robin figure as a kid. The grappling hook, the karate chop, the cape, it was just a great little toy.

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That's great! You're halfway there! Two Face is one of the less common figures for sure. Great start, now you gotta catch 'em all!

I legit loved that Robin figure as a kid. The grappling hook, the karate chop, the cape, it was just a great little toy.

Is the Two-Face the hardest to come by ?

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Was just reading about these from a late 90s book on collecting toys. 

Said that some of the figures were stolen/altered molds from the DC Super Powers line. 

Like Mr Freeze vs Lex Luthor.  Robin, both figure and packaging, were super rip-offs.  

Why of interest?  It was 2 different companies and I don't recall a lawsuit. 

Patrick

Interesting that it was implied that the molds were stolen. I'd always heard that Toy Biz had bought some of the molds from the Super Powers line, but that could be wrong. The Superman figure is very clearly based off the SP mold, minus the action feature. The action features were missing from most of the figures (Robin has the "karate chop") but they still have gimmicks. The Toy Biz Superman can't punch, but he has a magnet in his chest that makes him fall over when you place the "kryptonite" ring close to his body. And by that I mean the magnet is so weak that you pretty much just have to knock him over.

The Penguin figure seems pretty clearly taken from the SP mold as well, though again, no action feature retained. It's like they took the molds, dumbed them down, made them less detailed.  Two Face is obviously an original sculpt. Flash, GL, Hawkman, if they are based on the SP mold, they've been SUPER stripped down of any detail. So I'm not sure.

But, as cheap and knock off as they were, I dig 'em. It's a small line, it's colorful, and they're cheap, so it's possible to collect the whole run for very little money. Trying to do the same with Super Powers will run you well into the hundreds, if not thousands of bucks.

8 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Walked up to a booth.  Vendor was on the ground with a buyer looking at something sizeable.  I was both elated and terrified to see the item was the Dark Tower.  Ive been searching for one for many, many years.  

I know weve all had that moment.  Where you are waiting for the other to buy or not.  It took every fiber to not yell out.  This guy was clearly very interested and i was sure it was gone. But after an eternity, the guy gets up and leaves.  I hear him say he may come back but expects it to be gone.

I swoop in and the seller is a little caught off guard.  Shows me the contents, that its virtually complete, and that the electronics still work. I say virtually as i believe some of the red score keeping pegs are not present (think battle ship).

Couldnt have been happier with the purchase.  The board feels like it was hardly used.  Still that old tight newness when unfolding.

The figures make me think of Stranger Things.  Almost want a variant set of the different color versions, but thats just overboard.

Wanting to post this and some other finds for awhile.  Shout out to my nephew for graduating Marine boot camp laast week.

Patrick

20190914_112721.thumb.jpg.f2ed0f3036625ddf403b44f39eb9cf23.jpg.0b8ceae99f64b2ac29a8719fcf927629.jpg

20190914_114453.jpg

20190914_112120.jpg

20190914_112637.jpg

20190914_113839.jpg

20190914_114047.jpg

20190914_114516.jpg20190914_112648.thumb.jpg.8e7273973620179f9e490865d0611275.thumb.jpg.8e037d74d0420527a3f4071130f72b76.jpg

Awesome pick up! I love the electronic games of the 80's, so cool and detailed. I've had my eyes open for one of these for a while myself, but have yet to run across one. I did find a complete Omega Virus a couple of years ago, but sold it to a friend. Still a ton of fun to play. What a great era for games!

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Interesting that it was implied that the molds were stolen. I'd always heard that Toy Biz had bought some of the molds from the Super Powers line, but that could be wrong. The Superman figure is very clearly based off the SP mold, minus the action feature. The action features were missing from most of the figures (Robin has the "karate chop") but they still have gimmicks. The Toy Biz Superman can't punch, but he has a magnet in his chest that makes him fall over when you place the "kryptonite" ring close to his body. And by that I mean the magnet is so weak that you pretty much just have to knock him over.

The Penguin figure seems pretty clearly taken from the SP mold as well, though again, no action feature retained. It's like they took the molds, dumbed them down, made them less detailed.  Two Face is obviously an original sculpt. Flash, GL, Hawkman, if they are based on the SP mold, they've been SUPER stripped down of any detail. So I'm not sure.

But, as cheap and knock off as they were, I dig 'em. It's a small line, it's colorful, and they're cheap, so it's possible to collect the whole run for very little money. Trying to do the same with Super Powers will run you well into the hundreds, if not thousands of bucks.

The super powers ones, is that the ERTL ones ??

Here's a page that illustrates some differences and similarities between the Kenner Super Powers Superman figs vs the Toy Biz figs.

https://www.superpowerswiki.com/kenner-super-powers-vs-toy-biz-dc-super-heroes-the-big-differences/

Hmm, the only ERTL toys I recall were the die-cast miniatures. 

43 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Here's a page that illustrates some differences and similarities between the Kenner Super Powers Superman figs vs the Toy Biz figs.

https://www.superpowerswiki.com/kenner-super-powers-vs-toy-biz-dc-super-heroes-the-big-differences/

Hmm, the only ERTL toys I recall were the die-cast miniatures. 

Yeah, your right, should have known they were die-cast being ERTL doh!

Marvel-Legends-Stan-Lee-001.jpg

Marvel Legends Stan Lee is up for preorder for $24.99 on Target... Direct Link

Target has opened up pre-orders for the all-new Marvel Legends Stan Lee 6″ Scale Figure. The figure includes Captain America’s shield with Stan’s autograph on it, and a Chess Board. It’s priced at $24.99 and will arrive in June. Pre-order at the link below, and see photos after the jump.

Marvel 6″ Legends Stan Lee Figure

6-INCH-SCALE COLLECTIBLE STAN LEE FIGURE: Fans, collectors, and kids alike can enjoy this 6-inch-scale Stan Lee figure, inspired by the creator of the Avengers himself, Stan “the Man” Lee!

MARVEL MOVIE-INSPIRED DESIGN: Stan Lee fan figure with premium design, detail, and articulation for high poseability and display in a Marvel collection.

PREMIUM ARTICULATION AND DETAILING: The high quality, realistic, 6-inch Legends Series Stan Lee figure features multiple points of articulation and is a great addition to any action figure collection.

MARVEL UNIVERSE IN 6-INCH SCALE: Look for other Hasbro Marvel Legends Series figures (each sold separately) with comic- and movie-inspired characters, including Captain America, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Black Panther. (Additional figures each sold separately. Subject to availability.

5 hours ago, bane said:

Is the Two-Face the hardest to come by ?

He's relatively tough, for this line. I think a carded Superman figure is the toughest/most expensive figure in the line, last time I checked. He was scarce even when he was new. I remember when my local Target (or may have been Zayre) got these figures in, and they had one of those floor to ceiling peg displays. I searched through what had to have been hundred of figures (definitely dozens) and found ONE Superman. So i think he still commands a good price. I'd say Two Face would be next. But like i said, none of them are super pricey, so even the hard to find ones shouldn't set you back more than $50 or $60, i wouldn't think.

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Marvel Legends Stan Lee is up for preorder for $24.99 on Target... Direct Link

I'm a huge fan of Stan, but an action figure of him seems weird.  He'd make a good random person in a display for heroes to save, I suppose, which is the same way he was often used during his dozens of film cameos.

17 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

He's relatively tough, for this line. I think a carded Superman figure is the toughest/most expensive figure in the line, last time I checked. He was scarce even when he was new. I remember when my local Target (or may have been Zayre) got these figures in, and they had one of those floor to ceiling peg displays. I searched through what had to have been hundred of figures (definitely dozens) and found ONE Superman. So i think he still commands a good price. I'd say Two Face would be next. But like i said, none of them are super pricey, so even the hard to find ones shouldn't set you back more than $50 or $60, i wouldn't think.

Two-Face set me back $40 when worked into the deal I got for buying bulk.

25 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm a huge fan of Stan, but an action figure of him seems weird.  He'd make a good random person in a display for heroes to save, I suppose, which is the same way he was often used during his dozens of film cameos.

I have a custom Lego Stan... you would be surprised how well he fits into things.   You could always buy Stan and place him in the middle of a cabinet with both arms raised in the air as to say, "Look at what I've done.".  Put Stan beneath a battle scene and have him posed in a pensive position with a hand under his chin and looking up at the battle as if he is thinking it all up.   Stick him on the back of Spider-man as the "Amazing One" swings around your cabinet with Stan on his back like a Marvel version of Yoda.

BTW... there is this custom Lego Stan that has recently hit the market... I might need this. 

s-l1600.jpg

11 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Sorry,  that was my poor terminology. 

By stolen, I meant they borrowed the same molds and tweaked (didn't develop their own). 

Patrick

Just now, followtheleader said:

Damn, the shipping box for the MASK toy is trashed.  I would have thought the toy/toy box would have been trashed too. 

Patrick 

Luckily it wasn't mint to start!

And yeah, I anticipated finding a smushed box inside.

14 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Luckily it wasn't mint to start!

And yeah, I anticipated finding a smushed box inside.

So glad it turned out ok! I love MASK and Firefly was one I had and loved as a kid! I need to grab another one at some point, but MASK doesn't pop up around here as often as the other stuff.

As for Stan Lee, I would only buy a Stan figure if they also eventually made a Jack Kirby action figure, so I could pose Jack kicking the snot out of Funky Flashman.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

As for Stan Lee, I would only buy a Stan figure if they also eventually made a Jack Kirby action figure, so I could pose Jack kicking the snot out of Funky Flashman.

I am using this as a quote in my sig

Edited by comicwiz