• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,332 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2020 at 1:33 PM, srezvan said:

I asked for advice here about trading Joe parts, and the consensus was to just sell them and buy what I need. So I took that advice and I'm in the process of selling about 1/2 of what I picked up from a bulk purchase. The rest are now in the guest room, slowly getting complete. For the record, the shelves look straighter in person than they look in this picture. My son (3 years old) loves the toys - "Dad, can I look at your A.J.O toys?" he asks almost every day. He's allowed to look at one at a time. He also loves the complete Slag - he is complete thanks to a very generous board member.

20200711_094341.jpg

20200711_094111.jpg

Ah, that's beautiful, thanks for sharing!

12 hours ago, Shadow Images said:

Yes it is. It crazy what a lot of stuff is going for these days, especially on the FB groups.

And I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better. Prices had been steadily climbing for the last two or three years, but it seems like we saw the same COVID bump in Joes that most other collectibles have experienced, as things have REALLY ramped up the last few months. Add to that a new 6" line on shelves, a new "retro" line at Walmart, a Snake Eyes movie coming out at some point, and Joe hasn't been this visible in many, many years. The hardcores will buy in, lapsed collectors may return, and there may be a new generation coming along as well. It's all good news for the longevity of the line, more stuff being produced, and value of our collections being maintained. BUT, it's going to make everything more expensive for the foreseeable future. REALLY wish I'd been buying more aggressively a few years ago to complete the stuff I really wanted.

35 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

And I'm afraid it's going to get worse before it gets better. Prices had been steadily climbing for the last two or three years, but it seems like we saw the same COVID bump in Joes that most other collectibles have experienced, as things have REALLY ramped up the last few months. Add to that a new 6" line on shelves, a new "retro" line at Walmart, a Snake Eyes movie coming out at some point, and Joe hasn't been this visible in many, many years. The hardcores will buy in, lapsed collectors may return, and there may be a new generation coming along as well. It's all good news for the longevity of the line, more stuff being produced, and value of our collections being maintained. BUT, it's going to make everything more expensive for the foreseeable future. REALLY wish I'd been buying more aggressively a few years ago to complete the stuff I really wanted.

Eh... I am glad I sold off the bulk of my stuff. 

Someone posted this the other day. 

I still have a handful of childhood Joes but I do not regret selling off the bulk of the collection I rebuilt.  All it took was a fifty dollar figure to crumble in my hands like Thanos snapped him to make me suddenly fear the wrath of the Toy Gods and pass that along to someone else.  However, I do have a lot more modern stuff. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 12.20.06 AM.png

Meanwhile, remember it is SDCC week so here come the reveals...

Available on Hasbro Toy Shop ONLY in September for $50

Fives, Echo, and Jessie in realistic sculpts - 3 3/4"

http://rebelscum.com/2020/The-Vintage-Collection-501st-Legion-Arc-Troopers/

I won't start collecting the Black Series... I won't start collecting the Black Series... I won't start collecting the Black Series... I won't start collecting the Black Series...

The Black Series - Heroes of Endor - $110 Exclusive to Hasbro Pulse

Hasbro will release a new four-figure box set of The Black Series 6-Inch Figures, including Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Paploo, and a Speeder Bike. Retailing for $109.99, this set will be available in September exclusively on Hasbro Pulse.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbro_The_Black_Series_Heroes_Of_Endor_Set_Revealed_187370.asp

image.thumb.png.91fede96d9378e9caeeb2697a9bba3ad.png

image.thumb.png.ecaf397c72eadc886abd0de1c1cc7537.png

image.thumb.png.2f94c730fee802b098c81756fb407507.png

For Star Wars Lego Collectors - This is the set you want to get.

Lego 75283 will have the first Ahsoka Tano "realistic" minifigure in years.  With the last, and only one up to this point, trading for around $150-$200 for the minifigure, this is a welcome release. 

Price is $39.99 and will most likely be discounted to $32-35 by Amazon if previous discounts are repeated. 

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/07/20/lego-star-wars-75283-armored-assault-tank-aat-from-the-clone-wars-season-7-includes-ahsoka-tano-and-ahsoka-trooper-review/#more-209377

Unused Concept Art from GI Joe for an Abandoned Project. 

Posted on HissTank

Artist Jamal Yaseem Igle has posted a batch of mysterious, never before seen artwork of several prominent G.I. Joe characters.

Mr. Igle mentions that he may have to take down the images if asked [by Hasbro?]. He also mentions that the art in question have gone unused since its inception.

“I may have to take these down if it’s not okay to show but since they were never used, I guess it’s okay.”

The question of the hour is: ‘For what?’ An answer is never provided. We can only speculate.

You can check out the mirrored images, after the jump.

image.thumb.png.a367e6088f5708ee53e8db17d9f0024a.png

image.thumb.png.3797b9d2ff5f8016fa009c8489f30da0.png

image.thumb.png.f5f62c9ef5a40a43bc45e1531682f577.png

image.thumb.png.d9bcf9ded63c247e5065e8056c493a3c.png

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Eh... I am glad I sold off the bulk of my stuff. 

Someone posted this the other day. 

I still have a handful of childhood Joes but I do not regret selling off the bulk of the collection I rebuilt.  All it took was a fifty dollar figure to crumble in my hands like Thanos snapped him to make me suddenly fear the wrath of the Toy Gods and pass that along to someone else.  However, I do have a lot more modern stuff. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 12.20.06 AM.png

Yeah, I saw that post on FB too. Gold Plastic Syndrome strikes again! These things weren't built to last, but the gold plastic accessories and figures are especially prone to disintegration. It affects a lot of Transformers as well. This is why I only collect loose figures. I like carded figures, and I'm not against them if they're cheap, but I'd never put a lot of money into them because it's just a matter of time before the o-ring snaps or the figure falls apart.

As always, my philosophy is to collect what I like, and enjoy having them, but not put more money into them than I can afford to lose when the day comes that they all dissolve.

20 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Nice! It's crazy what BATs are selling for these days.

I love Shockwave and Croc Master, but BATS rounds that out. 

When I was a kid, BATS was mind blowing to me.  

I originally thought the collectibles would drop, but it's evident that supply is very low and demand very high.  I don't see them dropping until we see a serious market depression (which is probably soon).  Even though, people will just sit on them. 

Very glad I bought a lot of the expensive stuff years ago.  But like another user said, wish I would have grabbed others when it was cheaper.  
As I'm re-storing my collection, I'm surprised to see duplicates I didn't realize I had.  May be time to trade for others that I need.  Kind of hard to give up characters like Firefly though. 

Patrick

3 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I love Shockwave and Croc Master, but BATS rounds that out. 

When I was a kid, BATS was mind blowing to me.  

I originally thought the collectibles would drop, but it's evident that supply is very low and demand very high.  I don't see them dropping until we see a serious market depression (which is probably soon).  Even though, people will just sit on them. 

Very glad I bought a lot of the expensive stuff years ago.  But like another user said, wish I would have grabbed others when it was cheaper.  
As I'm re-storing my collection, I'm surprised to see duplicates I didn't realize I had.  May be time to trade for others that I need.  Kind of hard to give up characters like Firefly though. 

Patrick

There are a couple of things I have been holding on to but they are very carefully stored and tucked away... I have a few minty fresh swivel arm Scarlet's and some v1 Snake Eyes figures.  I am not doing anything with those until the movie approaches though if at all.   I bought a Final Engineering Pilot from someone at Hasbro through the PrePro FB group... things like that.

It's very hard though... there are pieces that I am cautious to see because I see prices rising on things like v1 straight arm Snake Eyes but you have to figure that the plastic is only getting weaker so when do you pass off that hot potato for maximum profit? 

I don't think there is anything wrong in saying that the figure I am selling you today for $100 increases its likelihood to crack and split apart in a year.  It's the nature of GI Joe.  I know and you accept that risk in buying it.   

11 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

Did you dudes see this stuff yet? New G.I.Joe Classified pics on Hisstank (His Stank :nyah:)

https://news.hisstank.com/2020/07/20/new-gijoe-classified-cobra-island-special-mission-sets-69674

Baroness-GIJOE-Classified-Cobra-COIL-6-inch-928x483.png

Target Exclusives, GI Joe Special Missions Cobra Island: Beachhead and others went from "Wait until these go live at 9am" to "This item is unavailable to be preordered to your zip code" at 9am and 1 second.   

People have been complaining about Hasbro's mismanagement of the supply chain for years.  Hasbro itself is partially responsible for the death of their own lines.   I am not planning on collecting these but I was looking forward to picking up Beachhead and maybe a few others if they make them (Wet Suit, Recondo, Clutch and a Vamp... )  If I cannot find the figure I want, there is less of a chance moving forward that I will continue looking for figures from the line let alone paying attention to it.

Let's also consider this, in a Covid-19 world, I am not going on a "toy run" like I did 10 years ago. I want to go to the computer and order what I am looking for.   I thought that this is why I has a membership to Hasbro Pulse?

Edited by Buzzetta
These were Target Exclusives (Supposedly) and were available this morning on Target.

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Beachhead went from "Wait until these go live at 9am" to "This item is unavailable to be preordered to your zip code" at 9am and 1 second. 

People have been complaining about Hasbro's mismanagement of the supply chain for year.  Hasbro itself is partially responsible for the death of their own lines.   I am not planning on collecting these but I was looking forward to picking up Beachhead and maybe a few others if they make them (Wet Suit, Recondo, Clutch and a Vamp... )  If I cannot find the figure I want, there is less of a chance moving forward that I will continue looking for figures from the line let alone paying attention to it.

Let's also consider this, in a Covid-19 world, I am not going on a "toy run" like I did 10 years ago. I want to go to the computer and order what I am looking for.   I thought that this is why I has a membership to Hasbro Pulse?

Yeah, a bazillion folks in the FB groups were complaining about it today. Luckily I'm not collecting the line so it didn't affect me, but I certainly feel for everyone who missed out. I guess Bots struck again. It's crazy. I agree completely, I thought this was what Pulse was for. Hopefully they'll get more in, or they'll at least be available in store when the time comes. It is neat that they're making some vehicles for this line. Is that a redeco of the bike that came with the Marvel Legends Black Widow Riders pack?

31 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Beachhead went from "Wait until these go live at 9am" to "This item is unavailable to be preordered to your zip code" at 9am and 1 second. 

People have been complaining about Hasbro's mismanagement of the supply chain for years.  Hasbro itself is partially responsible for the death of their own lines.   I am not planning on collecting these but I was looking forward to picking up Beachhead and maybe a few others if they make them (Wet Suit, Recondo, Clutch and a Vamp... )  If I cannot find the figure I want, there is less of a chance moving forward that I will continue looking for figures from the line let alone paying attention to it.

One second is a bit much, but the window last SDCC for ordering exclusives was also quite short at about 5 to 10 minutes.  They had a Hulk figure that first went on sale to Pulse members only and sold out in under ten minutes, then it went on sale for everyone and also sold out in under ten minutes.

So yea, getting two unreasonably short cracks at something last year instead of just one wasn't a great reason to subscribe.  I bet they didn't learn any lessons for this year, but hopefully I'm wrong.  They're covering the new Marvel Legends stuff at noon today, and they've been dropping hints for weeks that they will be offering a Hellfire Club box set as an SDCC exclusive, probably starting today.  Or at least they will announce it today.  Hopefully it won't be the same sheet show you're describing for Beachhead.

On 7/17/2020 at 10:22 AM, Buzzetta said:

GI Joe Retro Line is NOT a remold of o-ring figures.

So far the have shown 

Baroness - Looks to be from the TRU / Online 50th Release on vintage cardback

Stormshadow - 50th Release on vintage cardback 

Snake Eyes - POC / 50th Release on vintage cardback

Slightly retooled his tank - looks to be a new Hiss Tank driver but taken from pre-existing parts now repainted.. vintage box... 

Awe Striker - Looks to be straight repackage of the 25th version NOT the 50th with the add ons.  Crankcase is a straight 25th repack - vintage box. 

These are all walmart exclusives and go live at 11pm

I go so excited when I saw the retro packaging but then bummed out when I saw they were new molds... oh well, it's good they are making ARAH figures again! 

It would have been better to make the MOBAT or the VAMP....

38 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Wait, I went and checked the Fwoosh forums for more info about this, and it sounds like this was a Walmart exclusive.  So what's your issue with Hasbro here--that they're choosing to give exclusives to Walmart at all given that they usually screw them up?  That's probably fair, because they usually do find a way to screw almost every exclusive up somehow.

32 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

It is neat that they're making some vehicles for this line. Is that a redeco of the bike that came with the Marvel Legends Black Widow Riders pack?

Definitely not.  I have that Widow bike and it's completely different.  The one with Baronness looks military, but the one with Widow looks like a sporty bike.

826464cd-adcd-47e0-9eaf-5a474a5dde20_1.a