• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

One of Hasbro's Marvel Legends reveals today is a first appearance version of Storm and Thunderbird, and like the GI Joe exclusive it's only at Target.  They were supposed to list it this morning but didn't.  They listed it at 3:42 EST, and it sold out in minutes.

THANKS TARGET.  :mad:

MARVEL-LEGENDS-SERIES-X-MEN-6-INCH-STORM

I have zero interest in these.  With that said, I do late night Target shopping at least one a week as I have one close to me and they have a few things I like that are cheaper there than to buy at a normal grocery or Amazon Fresh.  If you want, give me a list of what you are looking for and I will keep an eye out.  Worse case scenario I return it the next week. 

3 hours ago, Comics4All said:

Thanks, my friend neglected to tell me the price tag! lol

He is a Disney parks fan more than a toy fan!

I couldn't find any of the exclusive  retro figures in any Targets near me....

It also comes with the Rogue One Kyber Crystal containers.  I have to admit that if I did not already have the original version of this I would be all over it even at $400.  The reason I never bought the big Lego version was because I already had this.  Depending on what the reviews say, If I were to stumble across one locally, I could see myself selling my loose one for around $300 minus the original figures, in order to get the newer version.   It would make sense as I would keep the original Han and Chewbacca figures with headsets, and get two new figures with the porgs, alternate radar dish, cargo containers and whatever else they pack in. I really want that Hondo figure. 

However, if a bunch of Hondo figures fall off the back of a truck and that Tughori guy on eBay sells them like he does with the rest of the stolen stuff, I might make a purchase for the extra stuff that way. 

3 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

He should not have a garter.....

I read that wrong and immediately went back to the figure to look for his guitar. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I read that wrong and immediately went back to the figure to look for his guitar. 

lol

BTW, Doom shreds on guitar unlike that fool Richards who can barely play an accordion! 

8 hours ago, Yorick said:

He should have a cape....

Agreed.

I will always have a huge soft spot for the SW figures.  

I know, they are pretty basic.  But that's one of the things I love about them. 

Also love the solid blue cards.  

I do have to say the lenticular cut-outs and shields were not good.  

Patrick

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I have zero interest in these.  With that said, I do late night Target shopping at least one a week as I have one close to me and they have a few things I like that are cheaper there than to buy at a normal grocery or Amazon Fresh.  If you want, give me a list of what you are looking for and I will keep an eye out.  Worse case scenario I return it the next week. 

Thanks!  I've worked out my Target toy hunting technique quite a bit over the last year and a half, and as a result I've found it not exactly easy but not terribly time-consuming to find their exclusives in the store.  After they screwed up the GI Joe pre-sale yesterday morning I assumed they might screw up the Legends set, but I didn't really care because I mostly enjoy going into stores to look for them--but only a handful of times, and preferably exactly one or two depending upon how many of them I want.  To make sure I find any given item with very few visits to stores, this is what I do:

• Find the Target product identifier for the item.  They call this a DPCI.
  • Use the brickseek.com or popfindr.com web site to look up inventory for the DPCI.  Both of those sites just call Target's publicly-available programming interface.
  • Once an item shows as having an inventory count in a store call that store.  Ask them if they will hold the item at customer service.  If they won't--and half of the time they won't--ask them if it's in the store and if so where is it--in the back, on the shelves, or in an unknown location (probably wrapped up on a pallet, but also possibly on a cart waiting to be put on shelves).  If they won't do any of that or try to look for it but can't find it just move to the next store, and if necessary call back later and hope for someone willing to be more helpful.

That worked for me all of last year.  However, there was a Legends Target exclusive item earlier this year that was a red version of the REALLY great Hulk figure Hasbro did last year.  Target's online inventory system was not returning accurate counts for this item at all.  It would say it was in stores it wasn't in, and stores that definitely did have it were sometimes returning zero counts via their API (on brickseek and popfindr).  During that time period their online inventory counts were accurate for other Legends figures, but for whatever reason they weren't for this red Hulk exclusive.  No idea why.  (shrug)

But what worked quite well for me with this item was Target's own web site.  When it was in the store there was a "Pickup available" button that would show for that store on the Target.com page for the item.  If I saw this button I knew it was absolutely in the store, and I tested this successfully four times by calling.  I didn't want a red Hulk all that much, but I was testing this knowing they'd eventually get an item I wanted--and that day is now coming for this Storm/Thunderbird set.  I had the red Hulk page open in my browser and would just refresh the page every hour or two.  I saw it show up as "Pickup available" about two to three dozen times over the course of a few weeks, and I successfully identified the item in stores by either calling or just buying the item via the site about a half dozen times.

I actually did buy two red Hulks and successfully identified four others, but I haven't cracked one open yet.  I might eventually, or maybe not, haven't decided.  The red Hulk is General "Thunderbolt" Ross (played by William Hurt in the films) transformed into the Hulk.  Sounds goofy to me as I prefer Banner being the only Hulk, but I haven't read the comics so I can't say for sure.  MANY times I've thought I didn't like a character but later ended up liking them and regretted not buying the figure when I could have, so I've now taken to buying hot items like red Hulk or less-hot items I find on deep clearance sales just in case I end up liking the character later.

Edited by fantastic_four

17 hours ago, Yorick said:

He should have a cape....

There's a guy on eBay who sells custom capes for Doom and Magneto, they're pretty sharp.

7 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Picked some empty boxes at an estate sale. They’re nice and still have the flag points. I finally made a blue print album and framed skystriker.

Got a Serpentor in the mail from a friend (already had the chariot and dagger) and a blue snake armor! :smile:

D17586E6-5FA3-49C3-845F-E92F06C71C8A.jpeg

B1C3762D-6648-433E-9C18-8AE90AF3D14A.jpeg

DC593342-3F88-4194-9C0E-05991C273698.jpeg

66401A20-C330-4E18-BB16-463AD2B1376F.jpeg

Great stuff, love the blue Snake!

17 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

One of Hasbro's Marvel Legends reveals today is a first appearance version of Storm and Thunderbird, and like the GI Joe exclusive it's only at Target.  They were supposed to list it this morning but didn't.  They listed it at 3:42 EST, and it sold out in minutes.

That Storm is gorgeous, but it's almost a relief to know that I don't collect ML anymore, so I don't have to worry about tracking one down. If I ran across one in a store, I'd be sorely tempted, though.

12 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

That Storm is gorgeous, but it's almost a relief to know that I don't collect ML anymore, so I don't have to worry about tracking one down. If I ran across one in a store, I'd be sorely tempted, though.

Thanks to online inventory tracking by all five of the major chains that carry Legends--Walmart, Walgreens, Target, Gamestop, and Best Buy--I don't mind it much because I can usually identify them in stores before I go first via the web and possibly also by calling the store.  All five of them don't have foolproof online inventory tracking and they all suck in different ways, but I've learned their idiosyncrasies well enough to find it not that big a deal.

Edited by fantastic_four

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Thanks to online inventory tracking by all five of the major chains that carry Legends--Walmart, Walgreens, Target, Gamestop, and Best Buy--I don't mind it much because I can usually identify them in stores before I go first via the web and possibly also by calling the store.  All five of them don't have foolproof online inventory tracking and they all suck in different ways, but I've learned their idiosyncrasies well enough to find it not that big a deal

Back when I was buying new stuff, Popfindr and Brickseek were pretty handy, but as you point out, not always accurate. But they'd at least give you an idea of where to start looking.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Back when I was buying new stuff, Popfindr and Brickseek were pretty handy, but as you point out, not always accurate. But they'd at least give you an idea of where to start looking.

I was shocked at how easy Target's own web site made finding Red Hulk in March.  Whenever it said "Pickup available" for a given store it was always in that store--and all I had to do was buy it on the site and go pick it up, easy peasy.  I'm hoping the same ends up holding true for Storm/Thunderbird.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:59 PM, fantastic_four said:

Thunderbird should be a lot bigger, not interested. 

If you get a chance... 

Someone built a piano out of Lego bricks.  It is not striking piano wire but it creates the mechanics of a piano and Lego incorporated a motor and sound.  $350... 

Keep in mind that this was designed by a fan and submitted to lego for consideration as a set.  They liked it and went forward with it.   What other company does stuff like this? 

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2020/07/23/lego-ideas-21323-grand-piano-designer-shows-off-inner-workings-of-the-musical-model-news/#more-212640