• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,323 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

I know, it's nuts! I remember when you could find them clogging aisles for under $20. Really kicking myself these days. Congrats on the scores!

The same thing happened with the 15th Ann Joes that were TRU exclusives. I bought every one of them even though the actual toys were not close to the quality of the originals. After a few years, I gave up and sold them to my local toy dealer. I figured they'd never be worth anything as they produced tons of these (most sat around and went to clearance) and, of course, plenty of other collectors were hoarding them in mint packages like me. A few years later, I noticed they'd gotten inexplicably expensive. Another example of how my lack of money/patience/space leads to me dumping something too soon. Sigh :sorry:

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

The same thing happened with the 15th Ann Joes that were TRU exclusives. I bought every one of them even though the actual toys were not close to the quality of the originals. After a few years, I gave up and sold them to my local toy dealer. I figured they'd never be worth anything as they produced tons of these (most sat around and went to clearance) and, of course, plenty of other collectors were hoarding them in mint packages like me. A few years later, I noticed they'd gotten inexplicably expensive. Another example of how my lack of money/patience/space leads to me dumping something too soon. Sigh :sorry:

Happens to me all of the time. If I'd wait just a liiiiiiittle bit longer...

On 2/5/2018 at 7:31 AM, Chillax23 said:

Maybe not the place to post this - but does anyone know of a G.I. Joe site like the CGC Boards where you can buy AFA grades Joes? I am clearly not a collector of figures by any means but really want to get an Original Cobra B.A.T. graded figure still on its card (been scouring Ebay but not a ton on there). 

Feel free to PM and sorry if the wrong place to post 

The best site I have seen dedicated to GI Joe is Hisstank.com 

However, be very careful of dropping a on of money on AFA graded GI Joes.  I would not recommend it to tell the truth.  There have been quite a few documented instances where the figure has snapped on the inside of the figure. 

Vintage GI Joe was constructed with ABS plastic held together with metal rivets and screws and held together by a strong rubber band.  The ABS plastic grows brittle over time and the metal rivets and screws add stress to the limbs.  Over time, Joe collectors are seeing cracks and stress marks on the elbows of the figure and areas by the screws in the back and legs.  No one really notices that on the card.  The one thing you will never notice though is the interior rubber band of the figure which itself grows brittle and can snap causing the figure to collapse upon itself on the card while still sealed in the bubble. 

Once that happens your AFA graded Joe takes a severe hit.  There is no such thing as getting it fixed without popping it off the card. You can google search it to take a look of instances that it happens.

Another incident that I am now seeing with greater frequency is that the bubbles themselves are cracking while sealed in the AFA chamber.  Keep in mind that these toys were never meant to last the test of time.  The other day I was looking for an R2-D2 MOC AFA graded figure.  The AFA graded figure made mention that the bubble had grown brittle since being graded and cracked and split open.  It was graded BEFORE the crack and split.  So again, be careful in what you buy when it comes to these things.

I am beginning to believe that the only 'safe' and long term AFA toys are boxed items like Transformers or loose samples of figures. 

26 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

The best site I have seen dedicated to GI Joe is Hisstank.com 

However, be very careful of dropping a on of money on AFA graded GI Joes.  I would not recommend it to tell the truth.  There have been quite a few documented instances where the figure has snapped on the inside of the figure. 

Vintage GI Joe was constructed with ABS plastic held together with metal rivets and screws and held together by a strong rubber band.  The ABS plastic grows brittle over time and the metal rivets and screws add stress to the limbs.  Over time, Joe collectors are seeing cracks and stress marks on the elbows of the figure and areas by the screws in the back and legs.  No one really notices that on the card.  The one thing you will never notice though is the interior rubber band of the figure which itself grows brittle and can snap causing the figure to collapse upon itself on the card while still sealed in the bubble. 

Once that happens your AFA graded Joe takes a severe hit.  There is no such thing as getting it fixed without popping it off the card. You can google search it to take a look of instances that it happens.

Another incident that I am now seeing with greater frequency is that the bubbles themselves are cracking while sealed in the AFA chamber.  Keep in mind that these toys were never meant to last the test of time.  The other day I was looking for an R2-D2 MOC AFA graded figure.  The AFA graded figure made mention that the bubble had grown brittle since being graded and cracked and split open.  It was graded BEFORE the crack and split.  So again, be careful in what you buy when it comes to these things.

I am beginning to believe that the only 'safe' and long term AFA toys are boxed items like Transformers or loose samples of figures. 

Thanks for the heads up - lots to consider and learn about AFA graded toys!

I want the AFA grading more for display purposes and authentication to be honest - not looking for a super high grade example, but I really appreciate the info.

38 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

I want the AFA grading more for display purposes and authentication to be honest - not looking for a super high grade example, but I really appreciate the info.

Just buy Acrylic case for them and learn to tell fakes from originals. Shipping graded is something I won't ever do again.

IMG_3152.JPG

Oh damn, that AFA example is crazy!

Bought a box of 80s Joes, file cards, accessories, and vehicles for $20 tonight.  Pretty stoked to actually see what is in it.  He said he was about to throw it in the garbage, but thought he'd trying listing.  

Patrick

11 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I only own three AFA graded figures.  All three are Star Wars figures.  They all lay flat in order to protect the bubble from the weight of the figure.  

Well, there's no harm in being super-careful, Buzz, but I've never heard of something like this happening from a vintage card standing upright. Those figures "at rest" will not put enough stress on the blister or the seal to cause something like on that UKG figure -- that was almost definitely either dropped on a hard surface or it was damaged in shipping (based on the clues in the background, it happened in shipping). It's not uncommon, especially on those later SW figures where the blisters tend to be made of a more brittle plastic and the figure has enough free space to build momentum when shaken so that it can essentially become a projectile. This will happen whether it's graded or not and it's just like an eggshell: They're pretty durable but enough force in the right spot will compromise the structure.

Since GI Joe figures were being asked about, I will say the Hasbro bubbles were made much sturdier while the figures' insides are hollow, so they have less mass than some of the vintage SW figures. I can't recall ever seeing a GI Joe figure eject from the blister like this, but there are probably instances where it could happen. The O-rings are the main concern, definitely. I've seen the cracks on the elbows at the rivets that you mentioned, but I'd always just assumed this was from too much pressure during manufacturing, not deterioration/brittleness of plastic. I've actually seen this mostly with the 86-87 Joes, but I honestly can't recall seeing it on any of the earlier ones, so I'm not 100% sure it's down to the plastic aging. Not saying it's not possible, though, as I've noticed that small piece of plastic at the elbow does also tend to discolor slightly.

Buzz, I will say, though, on the off-chance that your figures are POTF2 (yeah, I know, I think I'm the only one that cares about those anymore), then that is the right move to store them flat. I have maybe 30-40 POTF2 (some of the rare variants) and those are all stored flat in a closet in the coldest part of my house. The blister seals themselves can be weak, specifically on the Theater Edition Luke which is notorious for just falling off the card (blister and all). I've even seen this on the new Black Series 3 3/4-inch figures, too -- they just fall right off. Just depends on how well the machine sealed the blister to the card. The blisters also tend to yellow far more frequently on some of the specific figures I have and those tend to be the ones that crack more often (like the SOTE Leia Boushh variant, sooooo tough to find one without a crack and they're almost all yellow).

3 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Well, there's no harm in being super-careful, Buzz, but I've never heard of something like this happening from a vintage card standing upright. Those figures "at rest" will not put enough stress on the blister or the seal to cause something like on that UKG figure -- that was almost definitely either dropped on a hard surface or it was damaged in shipping (based on the clues in the background, it happened in shipping). It's not uncommon, especially on those later SW figures where the blisters tend to be made of a more brittle plastic and the figure has enough free space to build momentum when shaken so that it can essentially become a projectile. This will happen whether it's graded or not and it's just like an eggshell: They're pretty durable but enough force in the right spot will compromise the structure.

Since GI Joe figures were being asked about, I will say the Hasbro bubbles were made much sturdier while the figures' insides are hollow, so they have less mass than some of the vintage SW figures. I can't recall ever seeing a GI Joe figure eject from the blister like this, but there are probably instances where it could happen. The O-rings are the main concern, definitely. I've seen the cracks on the elbows at the rivets that you mentioned, but I'd always just assumed this was from too much pressure during manufacturing, not deterioration/brittleness of plastic. I've actually seen this mostly with the 86-87 Joes, but I honestly can't recall seeing it on any of the earlier ones, so I'm not 100% sure it's down to the plastic aging. Not saying it's not possible, though, as I've noticed that small piece of plastic at the elbow does also tend to discolor slightly.

Buzz, I will say, though, on the off-chance that your figures are POTF2 (yeah, I know, I think I'm the only one that cares about those anymore), then that is the right move to store them flat. I have maybe 30-40 POTF2 (some of the rare variants) and those are all stored flat in a closet in the coldest part of my house. The blister seals themselves can be weak, specifically on the Theater Edition Luke which is notorious for just falling off the card (blister and all). I've even seen this on the new Black Series 3 3/4-inch figures, too -- they just fall right off. Just depends on how well the machine sealed the blister to the card. The blisters also tend to yellow far more frequently on some of the specific figures I have and those tend to be the ones that crack more often (like the SOTE Leia Boushh variant, sooooo tough to find one without a crack and they're almost all yellow).

You are right with the quality of the bubble used on the GI Joes.  I make mention of the original series based on my experiences.  Maybe it was just me.  The first Joes I had were Clutch, Recondo, and Stalker and I am always looking for Snake Eyes just to take a look.  (You always remember your first GI Joes.)  I was going around looking for a MOC sample of a 3rd Series Recondo and I ran into one that had the stress cracks in the elbow.  The sample was non AFA graded but it was supposedly a MOC.   I have seen the same on a couple of stressed elbows on Snake Eyes I and II.  I stopped looking after I started seeing figures that clearly looked like the O-Ring had broken or I suspected.  For those reading it looks like it sounds... basically a slumped over rag doll type figure. 

I only have the three AFA graded MOC Star Wars figures but they have some value.  I am at work and on lunch so I cannot be too specific.  

Boba Fett - ROTJ forget the cardback

Yoda - ESB Forget the cardback number but remember making sure it was the earliest release - It had the Department store price sticker on it from where it was obtained.  My dad had worked a part time job at that store and gave me a Yoda figure before anyone else could get them when they got the new ESB figures in.  When I saw it offered at auction I wildly overpaid for it just to get the one with the price sticker.  Figured it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. 

Rebel Soldier - First Action figure I ever owned.  Also on it's "Rookie" release cardback 

I keep them flat.

Does anybody rember a GI Joe called Atomic Man. I’ve found him on the internet but not the packaging I remember. Mom bought him for me in 1973 or so at a Sears Catalouge store and it had a cardboard box. 12” high figure. Did the Sears/Montgomery Wards catalouge stores have their own packaging?

This was from 2014 on Hisstank... guy bought a 1st Series Snake Eyes MOC where the O-Ring snapped.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-toys-vintage-discussion/391088-snake-eyes-9-back-moc-broken-o-ring.html

Google is revealing a lot of cringeworthy incidents. 

Rubber deteriorates over time even when kept in ideal conditions.  It dries out and just cracks then breaks under the strain.  Anything that takes an o-ring needs the orings to be lubricated in which we don't lubricate the o-rings for joes.  End result it breaks.

Plastic also deteriorates over time.  1988 storm shadow comes to mind of always having issues with cracked elbow at rivet.  Have one that when I got it it was fine and a little back was sorting my figures and noticed it was now cracked when all it has done is sit in a baggy in a box for years.

Glue deteriorates over time as well and bubbles will release from the card.  Right conditions and may even be quicker for it to release.

Edited by whisp

18 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I've always thought about getting into AFA grading. This is great info. So basically if you pick something up get it graded asap especially for figures.

Well, you could look at it that way, but I'd also take it as a warning: even if you get them graded, carded action figures are still time bombs that are probably going to deteriorate and fall apart over time, so don't pay too much for a graded example, because it could implode on you at any moment.

Then again, I have been accused of pessimism in the past!

8 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Squad! I have the Deadpool wave figures in hand. TRU let me have them yesterday. Happy hunting for those trying to get them. The X-Force Deadpool figure is amazing! Lots of articulation and paint is awesome! Very well done. X-23 and Domino meh, but they look nice on the shelf 

095D05B7-55F4-496A-8DEF-D9B17F81B269.jpeg

I like it more because you opened them.  I much prefer to have them on display than locked in the package.  DP looks cool.

This is a steal at this price.  This is my second copy of this.  

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/65211

I am not in business with BBTS I am not profiting off this and I receive no compensation for the link.  However they are selling the Star Wars Black Series AT-ST for $25.  They are $57.99 up here in Walmart and have traditionally been a Walmart exclusive.  This is not like the one that was released with the original line that was much smaller and only fit one figure.  This is in scale with the larger AT-AT that came out and fits two figures side by side.   I would grab one for $25 and add it to your pile of loot if you have an account with them or ship it now for $4.   

843a0b09-ec88-4cf0-be2a-474809ab813a.jpg

97583c2e-0c3d-4a24-8969-83a6c851cdb4.jpg