• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,262 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

when were these made? this was my era as a kid i think, but i don't recall ever seeing these. love it!

Not really sure.  I was never super into Flash Gordon but I’m constantly hunting interesting 5 POA figure to set up with my vintage Star Wars

I’m seeing a lot of Slave 1s here recently. 
7A05C6C1-EB1B-4F83-BBCF-9980527CFED5.thumb.jpeg.1642d85292a6563ec94e1f1179736f7b.jpeg

Arrived yesterday, I bought this and the 2011 version from the Hallmark Keepsake line around the same time.

Spoiler

4FB86373-EEB1-42D0-8FD3-117647FCA498.thumb.jpeg.3a9149f2cb33e5d91ee0f3f6dd57d5f4.jpeg

4D551316-759D-4A02-A19B-AE548323D568.thumb.jpeg.2b1838bcb333c9e42a55af0199128d5d.jpeg

52B70D62-0154-4E40-B136-A3A42D3974AD.thumb.jpeg.5c2655dc5901742665292ba4d9a06ad1.jpeg

0A32B362-954C-4A85-AAC4-03B0B8F68ECA.thumb.jpeg.f1ee236c825119547c9e3f8b38bf2737.jpeg

EEE2F7D8-59B6-4863-923C-FBDEDC7E66ED.thumb.jpeg.7931ab9885ac83190c2c9301e6f09164.jpeg

I’ve also become tempted by the dark side, that is the Black Series!

God help us all. The Boba Fett slated for 2021 looks amazing. I also like the Dark Side Vision Rey, Emperor and Royal Guard.

I don’t have any yet, keyword yet. I must be strong.

6 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

God help us all. The Boba Fett slated for 2021 looks amazing. I also like the Dark Side Vision Rey, Emperor and Royal Guard.

I don’t have any yet, keyword yet. I must be strong.

video_image-7WIeRjG-0.jpeg

9 hours ago, Talapas1 said:

Hey Alex, I’m in the Pacific Northwest too!  What shop did you hit up?  I’m guessing I know which one, but I’m always hunting for new haunts.

its called billy galaxy in portland. it's been around for a long time so i bet you already know it. but they have tons of figures of all kinds- star wars,, gi joe, mego superheroes, apes, etc. and tons of japanese stuff too. 

11 hours ago, Talapas1 said:

Not really sure.  I was never super into Flash Gordon but I’m constantly hunting interesting 5 POA figure to set up with my vintage Star Wars

I posted about them a page or so back.  From 79/80 by Mattel.  Beautifully simplistic.  I RARELY run into them in the wild.  Accessories nearly always missing which is why that staff find is so good.  

The 1986 series was cool too, but I didn't care for the larger size. Far more common.  Some nice figures, some lame. Solid toy for a cheap price in this environment.  Still love the weird purple snake that Ming rode.

Patrick

2 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

its called billy galaxy in portland. it's been around for a long time so i bet you already know it. but they have tons of figures of all kinds- star wars,, gi joe, mego superheroes, apes, etc. and tons of japanese stuff too. 

Yup.  I know Billy.  He’s cool guy and his shop is pretty awesome.    
mid you haven’t, check out Dr. Tongues I’m Gonna Portland, Coin Corner and Hobby in Oregon City and Replay Toys in Eugene.  Those three, with a billy make up my Mt Rushmore of toy shops in Oregon.   

10 hours ago, Brandon Shepherd said:

I started collecting 6" Black Series figures about three months ago.  I've gotten all of the majors aside from those with bad scaling, articulation, sculpt, or paint (there are a few majors like that, particularly Obi-Wan and Anakin), and just this week I started army-building Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers, and Battle Droids.  My issue with the lines is that compared to the other Hasbro figure lines like Marvel Legends, GI Joe Classified Series, or Power Rangers Lightning Collection the articulation, sculpt, accessories, and paint are noticably worse, particularly the accessories and articulation.  And while all of this remains true through the latest waves--although I have to say they've improved a bit over the last few released in the second half of 2020--the irony is that Hasbro is increasing the prices on Star Wars figures to $22, $25, and $30 with tons of "premium" or "deluxe" releases that aren't all that premium or deluxe, or at least less so than what you get at the same price points from the other lines.  I often wonder if the licensing fee Hasbro is paying for selling Star Wars merchandise is steeper than the one they're paying for Marvel.  Hasbro owns GI Joe and Power Rangers so their profit margin is highest on those leaving them freer to spend more on design and production for those lines, and GI Joe really shows that off having the finest figure design of all their lines.  But I remain surprised and confused that the Marvel Legends team keeps doing a better job on their figures than the Star Wars team does with theirs, and I suspect a lower production budget is the source of the problem.

But I'm picking nits there because I do love the line.  The only hesitation I have about the Black Series is that I'm wondering if the 1:18 scale is just far better for Star Wars since there are almost no powers to render aside from Force lightning and any sort of Force telekinetic effects, but vehicles are a MAJOR aspect of Star Wars, and rendering vehicles in the 1:12 scale makes them far too large.  Anyone seen the 1:12 scale TIE Fighter Hasbro did a few years ago?  It's HUGE as you can see in the pic below, yet TIEs are one of the smaller Star Wars vehicles.  Imagine a true 1:12 scale Millennium Falcon...it's over 100 feet long, and the easy math on 1:12 just means turn feet to inches, so it'd be over 100 inches long, i.e. 8 to 10 feet.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

6 minutes ago, Talapas1 said:

Yup.  I know Billy.  He’s cool guy and his shop is pretty awesome.    
mid you haven’t, check out Dr. Tongues I’m Gonna Portland, Coin Corner and Hobby in Oregon City and Replay Toys in Eugene.  Those three, with a billy make up my Mt Rushmore of toy shops in Oregon.   

I really like Dr Tongues.  A little expensive, but he gets some really rare items.

Patrick

On 12/18/2020 at 2:01 PM, Talapas1 said:

1979 Flash Gordon Lizard Woman Action Figure | Etsy

This one.    

And I love the Python Vipers a ton.   Been slowly army building them.   

I think we may have talked about this before once upon a time, but I loved these figures. I had the whole series when I was a kid. I got them from an aunt who must have gotten them on clearance, because she got me the entire figure line, and she wasn't one to spend much money. I had no idea who Flash Gordon was, hadn't seen the cartoon, and I don't think the movie was out yet at that point, so I had no frame of reference for the toys. But I LOVED them. So colorful. I just added them to my Star Wars play. I'd love to get a set of them again, but they're a little pricier than I'd expected. Maybe some day. That card art is so colorful and cool, love it!

17 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

I'm in Denver, but visit out there.  Always checking out toy stores.  Hell of a lot more than here. 

Patrick

We have some pretty cool ones out here.   Along the I5 corridor from Eugene to Seattle is a pretty good run of shops.  Pre Covid we also had some pretty good toy and comic shows out this way as well

2 hours ago, 707comics said:

So, I have been slowly acquiring GI Joe pieces over the past year or so. With the lack of local garage sales, flea markets and toy shows it has been slow going (eBay prices can be crazy to say the least!) but I have been having a blast! I have tried to focus on buying as complete as possible as I quickly learned that in some cases a small accessory cost more than the sum of the other components together (W.O.R.M.S, Outback, Firefly ... you know I am looking at you!). That said, it's funny how incomplete figures always seem to find their way into the collection, I mean who wants to pass on a nice Zartan figure just because it's missing the leg pads, right? 

Having had a bunch of spare time during lockdown allowed me to clean and display some of my collection. I figured I would share some photos as I always enjoy seeing what people post in this thread :)

Hope you and your families have a safe and happy holiday season. Here is hoping for a great 2021! 

482018703_IMG_60982.thumb.jpg.e146c0adf61b75e6731eaa6cc0587ce2.jpg

970884417_IMG_61032.thumb.jpg.c0fd7fe40be28118bccc487ff71ba537.jpg

408733977_IMG_61042.thumb.jpg.ffee9680114a1a291c9fdc35c7d6b25e.jpg

1861326711_IMG_61052.thumb.jpg.55526d0f4bc60a0bb59bb823dd4752db.jpg

quad_case.thumb.jpg.3e689c3020aa64a2bc40c5df92336d1e.jpg

JOE_QUAD.thumb.jpg.6947002b41ea46e7e33e5bd511e26a89.jpg

Ship_wreck_Happy_holidays.thumb.jpg.029c084af8debd81f146f7d8b1dfffcd.jpg

Great collection and glad to hear the enthusiasm. 

Patrick

13 hours ago, 707comics said:

So, I have been slowly acquiring GI Joe pieces over the past year or so. With the lack of local garage sales, flea markets and toy shows it has been slow going (eBay prices can be crazy to say the least!) but I have been having a blast! I have tried to focus on buying as complete as possible as I quickly learned that in some cases a small accessory cost more than the sum of the other components together (W.O.R.M.S, Outback, Firefly ... you know I am looking at you!). That said, it's funny how incomplete figures always seem to find their way into the collection, I mean who wants to pass on a nice Zartan figure just because it's missing the leg pads, right? 

Having had a bunch of spare time during lockdown allowed me to clean and display some of my collection. I figured I would share some photos as I always enjoy seeing what people post in this thread :)

Hope you and your families have a safe and happy holiday season. Here is hoping for a great 2021! 

Love the collection!   
thanks for sharing.   Have any specific piece you are after?

Appreciate it! 

I've been chasing a Cobra Ninja Viper (with both silver swords in the sealed bag) but I am not willing to pay the price they currently demand (I see them selling quickly in the $300+ range on eBay.). In a moment of weakness I considered a Black Major repro but decided I don't want to travel down that road hahaha.

1 hour ago, 707comics said:

Appreciate it! 

I've been chasing a Cobra Ninja Viper (with both silver swords in the sealed bag) but I am not willing to pay the price they currently demand (I see them selling quickly in the $300+ range on eBay.). In a moment of weakness I considered a Black Major repro but decided I don't want to travel down that road hahaha.

I had a chance to get one a few years ago, but decided to grab an Ananaman for my vintage Star Wars collection instead.   Now the ninja viper is one of the last few I need