• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,341 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

So what is everyone looking for / collecting goals for 2021?

To start pruning my collection to make space for new incoming stuff, particularly Slave I, three Haslab Sentinels, and the Disney Toy Box Hall of Armor sets I bought pictured below.  The set comes with 5 armor bays and 1 rotating pad, and the pic below shows two of them hooked together.  I bought six total but only have enough action figures of Stark tech to support three; the extras are for future use if I want to.

First step will be to sell off my statues to make room, but I also need to make more room for storing stuff on display--and that may delay the need to sell off as many statues.  Right now I use two six-foot glass display cabinets I bought twenty years ago, but I need more shelf space.

ACtC-3cOUOa0VZPfza4FPHpmqTNyxg8P5wfM5PJ4

12 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Examples still needed for my 80s MIB/MOC Collection: 
Bravestarr MIB
Silverhawk MOC
Boglin MIB
Madballs MOC
Voltron 6" MIB Matchbox version
Mantech Remco MIB (this seems to be the hardest to find of my targets)

and as always
Star Wars Micro Collection, especially the X-wing, Tie Fighter and Snow Speeder MIB
Star Wars vintage vehicle diecast MOC

53 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

"front of box slightly faded"

Screenshot_20201230-173028.thumb.png.e5deccac9c0bee5cd3c0dfb1795bc1ba.png

"Slightly"?!?!? 

Sweet! I wouldn't worry too much about the fading. It's a US Matchbox, check to see if it has instructions, often times hidden behind the stryo tray. How is the window on it?

I'm going on nearly 12 years now of trying to find another Canadian IRWIN Miniature, it's ridiculous how scarce they are.

On 12/28/2020 at 9:10 PM, Buzzetta said:

So what is everyone looking for / collecting goals for 2021?  Think of this as the plastic crack version of the comics thread.

I have it in my head that I need a Rancor Monster.  Somehow I thought I had one until I realized I sold it and never got around to buying the updated Vintage Collection update that came out a few years ago.   I also think I want my VOTC B-Wing fighter back. 

So... 

• SW Rancor Monster
  • SW B-Wing Fighter / A-Wing Fighter
  • Eventual release of Fennec Shand
  • Eventual release of Mandalorian version of Boba Fett
  • I keep flip flopping on the big Lego Falcon $800 version...
  • Transformers Tracks (Found in the walmart computer system and unannounced butdue July September)
  • Lego Modular Police Station - Lego reveals more throughout the year... but that's it for now. 

On Preorder and waiting for it to be released:

• Walmart Mando with removable helmet with Child 3.75" set
  • Retro Mando 3.75"
  • Retro Child 3.75"
  • Greef Karga Vintage Collection 3.75"
  • Snaggletooth Vintage Collection 3.75"
  • The Child / Grogu Vintage Collection 3.75"
  • Mando in Beskar Vintage Collection 3.75"
  • Boba Fett Vintage Collection 3.75"
  • Boba Fett Black Series Deluxe 6"
  • Transformers Studio Series Kup
  • Transformers Studio Series Hot Rod
  • Transformers Studio Series Jazz
  • Transformers Studio Series Grimlock 
  • GI Joe Scarlett - 3.75"
  • GI Joe Roadblock - 3.75" 

So far except for 

That's a nice list! I really like the new SW stuff a lot, but I must resist! I got a VC TIE Fighter for Christmas, and a VC Jabba's Palace last year. I'm not opposed to getting more of the stuff if I find it at a good price.

Much like with my comics response, I don't really have a checklist or anything in mind. I like to find random treasure locally. So I guess my only real goal is to amass enough of a war chest so that when I go to shows, estate sales, etc in the spring (hoping they'll start bouncing back by then) I'll be able to make a run at whatever catches my eye. 

That being said, while I have no plan of attack, and am not specifically budgeting for it, this is what I need to complete my G1 Transformers "First Wave" collection, the original 28:

Ratchet

Wheeljack

Bluestreak

Starscream

Soundwave

Shockwave

Brawn

Gears

Red Bumblebee

And I think that's it. None of this is particularly hard to find, so I just keep the list in the back of my brain when I go to shows and sales. I could hop on eBay any day of the week and grab these, but the difficulty I set for myself is that I have to find them in person, loose/complete, in good shape, locally, the way I found everything else in my G1 collection. Makes the hunt more challenging and fun! Also takes much longer, but eh, that's ok. I'm not in a hurry.

For Joes, I need a few random weapons to complete my domestic Tiger Force set, and I will probably have to resort to a FB group or eBay to finish those, because I don't imagine I'll be finding random backpacks and guns in my travels. I still need a Road Pig and a Gnawgahyde to complete my Dreadnoks set, but those shouldn't be too tough. 

For new stuff, I gotta have that NECA Quint figure. It comes with crushed beer cans, ferchrissakes! Other than that, I'm sure I'll pick up a few Legends or DC figures here or there. I try to swear them off completely, but I'm not made of stone.

Happy hunting, and happy new year!

On 12/25/2020 at 7:29 AM, Talapas1 said:

Merry Christmas to all you plastic addicts!  Hope you holidays are happy and peace filled. 

E2C3B41C-BC68-448C-9DEC-71954489F8AE.jpeg

That looks like a fun Christmas, all together now, all's together now! Love Love Love, all the Love :) 

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

Sweet! I wouldn't worry too much about the fading. It's a US Matchbox, check to see if it has instructions, often times hidden behind the stryo tray. How is the window on it?

I'm going on nearly 12 years now of trying to find another Canadian IRWIN Miniature, it's ridiculous how scarce they are.

Its in great condition overall, supposedly old store stock (though it must have been displayed at some point to a count for thr fading. Window is spectacular (so clear i had to double check it was there). The fading really detracts for me as a MIN collector....

15 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Its in great condition overall, supposedly old store stock (though it must have been displayed at some point to a count for thr fading. Window is spectacular (so clear i had to double check it was there). The fading really detracts for me as a MIN collector....

Did he have any other Voltron stuff? Don't mean to step on toes, but if he does, would be great to see what else the seller has.

On 12/20/2020 at 10:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

I started collecting 6" Black Series figures about three months ago.  I've gotten all of the majors aside from those with bad scaling, articulation, sculpt, or paint (there are a few majors like that, particularly Obi-Wan and Anakin), and just this week I started army-building Stormtroopers, Clone Troopers, and Battle Droids.  My issue with the lines is that compared to the other Hasbro figure lines like Marvel Legends, GI Joe Classified Series, or Power Rangers Lightning Collection the articulation, sculpt, accessories, and paint are noticably worse, particularly the accessories and articulation.  And while all of this remains true through the latest waves--although I have to say they've improved a bit over the last few released in the second half of 2020--the irony is that Hasbro is increasing the prices on Star Wars figures to $22, $25, and $30 with tons of "premium" or "deluxe" releases that aren't all that premium or deluxe, or at least less so than what you get at the same price points from the other lines.  I often wonder if the licensing fee Hasbro is paying for selling Star Wars merchandise is steeper than the one they're paying for Marvel.  Hasbro owns GI Joe and Power Rangers so their profit margin is highest on those leaving them freer to spend more on design and production for those lines, and GI Joe really shows that off having the finest figure design of all their lines.  But I remain surprised and confused that the Marvel Legends team keeps doing a better job on their figures than the Star Wars team does with theirs, and I suspect a lower production budget is the source of the problem.

But I'm picking nits there because I do love the line.  The only hesitation I have about the Black Series is that I'm wondering if the 1:18 scale is just far better for Star Wars since there are almost no powers to render aside from Force lightning and any sort of Force telekinetic effects, but vehicles are a MAJOR aspect of Star Wars, and rendering vehicles in the 1:12 scale makes them far too large.  Anyone seen the 1:12 scale TIE Fighter Hasbro did a few years ago?  It's HUGE as you can see in the pic below, yet TIEs are one of the smaller Star Wars vehicles.  Imagine a true 1:12 scale Millennium Falcon...it's over 100 feet long, and the easy math on 1:12 just means turn feet to inches, so it'd be over 100 inches long, i.e. 8 to 10 feet.

maxresdefault.jpg

Going to be hard to save the box on that one hm

On 12/28/2020 at 6:10 PM, Buzzetta said:

I'm hoping to find a few more vintage collections/lots and purchase less modern toys.   

Additions that I am hoping to get in 2021 are:

1. Lego Sesame Street set

2. Either a Vintage Star Wars Yakface or Pop up R2

3. Loose complete Mumra

4. Figures to complete my series 1 and 2 Battle Beasts set.

So many other goals, but these are sitting at the forefront.

Skeletor and mer-man came in today. My toy collecting goals for 2021 are:

1. Maroon haired Lion-o

2. Thundercats hovercat and thundertank

3. Thundercats Bengali figure

4. Funko POP SDCC Flocked Lion-o.

5. MOTU vintage sorceress 

6. Malaysian made vintage he-man

3E0C5761-8AD0-4405-9150-0BB6C03F794A.jpeg

38 minutes ago, D84 said:

After over 2 decades, I've finally snagged this at a good price.

Now, I need to figure out how to remove the accessories without destroying the cardboard. 

I remember buying the Sideshow one and opening it up to be so disappointed in the catatonic stare that Indy had.  I wound up selling it.   Toys McCoy did such a better job on this figure.  Congrats.  It is a great piece. 

Edited by Buzzetta

22 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I remember buying the Sideshow one and opening it up to be so disappointed in the catatonic stare that Indy had.  I wound up selling it.   Toys McCoy did such a better job on this figure.  Congrats.  It is a great piece. 

When they came out I bought the Sideshow, Medicom and Hot Toys Indy figures, but only kept the Hot Toys one. The Toys McCoy one will look good next to it.

4 minutes ago, D84 said:

When they came out I bought the Sideshow, Medicom and Hot Toys Indy figures, but only kept the Hot Toys one. The Toys McCoy one will look good next to it.

Whoa... that Hot Toys one is MUCH better than the sideshow version.   I also saw the pricetag that some are asking for new ones.  double whoa. 

Edited by Buzzetta