• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,261 posts in this topic

The Din Djarin/Child 3.75" Walmart exclusive 2-pack figures were available on the Walmart web site most of the afternoon.  I came here to share that info but couldn't log in here due to maintenance.  :frustrated:  Gone now.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

The Din Djarin/Child 3.75" Walmart exclusive 2-pack figures were available on the Walmart web site most of the afternoon.  I came here to share that info but couldn't log in here due to maintenance.  :frustrated:  Gone now.

Maybe it is regional... I received an email that they were back in stock at 10:45am and it was gone when I noticed the email and visited the site around noon.  I checked again twice throughout the day and they were still not available. 

10 hours ago, BrooksR said:

Do you guys have any experience submitting to AFA? I’ve had my comics graded by cgc and have thought of getting some of my vintage sealed sw and joe figs graded. $35 per fig seems pricey, does grading improve the resale value enough to justify it? Do buyers prefer graded figures to “raw?”

I've been sending stuff to AFA since 2003. The grading (assuming it's somewhere between 80-85-90-95) improves the resale value (likewise, you can sometimes get a great deal on a lower-graded figure--AFA 60--whose only defect is a cracked bubble). More often than not, "buyers" is determined by the brand/ toy line. Star Wars, yes; GI JOE, yes; MOTU, yes; Inhumaniods or Centurions, probably not.

Make sure to carefully look over your bubbles. Even a slight hairline crack can drop the overall grade to a 70 (a visible crack is 60, a crack with missing pieces, even less).

4 hours ago, scumdolly said:

I've been sending stuff to AFA since 2003. The grading (assuming it's somewhere between 80-85-90-95) improves the resale value (likewise, you can sometimes get a great deal on a lower-graded figure--AFA 60--whose only defect is a cracked bubble). More often than not, "buyers" is determined by the brand/ toy line. Star Wars, yes; GI JOE, yes; MOTU, yes; Inhumaniods or Centurions, probably not.

Make sure to carefully look over your bubbles. Even a slight hairline crack can drop the overall grade to a 70 (a visible crack is 60, a crack with missing pieces, even less).

Ehhh not so quick with GI Joe.  I have always strongly recommended people staying away from AFA graded Joe figures and my hesitations have been supported over the last couple of years.   We are now almost 40 years from when those first few figures were introduced.  Sure, the cards are stronger than SW and the bubbles seem to be as well.  The figures are drying up and cracking and breaking on the card due to their design.  I keep seeing more and more heartbreak and some butthurt in the Joe FB collector groups.   Usually I see popped rubber bands, jumble of parts on the card and this past year more people were posting pics of AFA graded figures that had developed cracked elbows as well as broken figures MOC graded by AFA. 

@BrooksR I have no personal experience submitting to AFA but I have a few graded pieces I have purchased here and there over the years. For the right piece AFA grading can be a good option. Maybe if I had a really nice MOC Snake Eyes / Storm Shadow I would send them? 

The graded toys seem to be a bit of a "niche" market fro my experience. I have been to TONS of shows over the years and I can say I have seen only a handful of AFA pieces trade hands in person. To add to what @Buzzetta said: I recently heard a story of a guy who bought a MOC AFA graded Snake Eyes on eBay (>$1000). When it showed up the o-ring had let loose in shipping so the MOC graded figure was broken with no way to fix it (short of opening it). 

I personally love how they look in the cases so I bought a few from GW acrylics (they are the ones who make the cases for AFA). You can find them here: https://www.gwacrylic.com/

Edited by 707comics

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Ehhh not so quick with GI Joe.  I have always strongly recommended people staying away from AFA graded Joe figures and my hesitations have been supported over the last couple of years.   We are now almost 40 years from when those first few figures were introduced.  Sure, the cards are stronger than SW and the bubbles seem to be as well.  The figures are drying up and cracking and breaking on the card due to their design.  I keep seeing more and more heartbreak and some butthurt in the Joe FB collector groups.   Usually I see popped rubber bands, jumble of parts on the card and this past year more people were posting pics of AFA graded figures that had developed cracked elbows as well as broken figures MOC graded by AFA. 

Yes, the o-rings will crack (some sooner than later). I've had several sealed figures whose o-rings were already loose (one was a 9-back CC Offer Scarlett, lol). *BUT* the figure+vehicle sets are a different story. The bubble on those holds the figure really tight/really snug, so even if the o-ring breaks, the figure will still remain as it was. Skystriker is even better since that's a sealed box with no window, lol.

I'll also qualify my previous statement regarding MOTU: the legs are held together with rubber band that--surprise, surprise--will break, leaving the legs to float at the bottom of the bubble. SW figures are better, but the quality of seal holding the bubble to the card is entirely suspect.

4 hours ago, 707comics said:

I personally love how they look in the cases so I bought a few from GW acrylics (they are the ones who make the cases for AFA). You can find them here: https://www.gwacrylic.com/

Thank you for that link! I’m going to get some of those and forget about AFA. I’ve only got one carded Joe, I think I’ll sell it before the band breaks. Thank you guys for the help, I haven’t bought any toys in ten years and I’m out of touch.

Are there any price guides online for SW figures? Like gocollect or covrprice for comics?

1 hour ago, TMNT said:

Hey guys! My plastic crack of choice is generally TMNT flavored and it's great to see some fellow Turtle lovers out there. Here's a fairly recent display pic to give an idea though I've added a few more AFA to the collection of late. Been having a lot of fun recollecting the figures from my childhood on card again

20200717_140431.jpg

How expensive it is to get it graded in afa?? And by the way the fugitoid was my favorite and Nice cell on your wall

57 minutes ago, TMNT said:

Good question. I haven't submitted myself yet, these are ones I've just bought already graded. And Fugitoid was also a big time favorite of mine, frequently getting captured and saved by the Turtles in playtime sessions. That loose figure of him, along with the rest of the loose seen, are all my original toys. Was actually surprised to see how many of the accessories I managed to keep through the decades!

And yes, I love that cel too, especially the big pizza. Have a few of the season 1 - 3ish cels on the walls around the room. 

Here's another shot of some of my figs and vehicles I took before placing them in their various displays. No desire to complete the entire toy line, but definitely trying to get a number of childhood favs. 

20210116_224903.jpg

20210116_232503.jpg

Very nice.  Glad to see someone else likes Merdude.

Patrick

20 hours ago, atrocitus said:

Hard to follow all of those turtle figures 

19638BB6-5D02-4C93-9F4C-A43BB272477A.jpeg

20 hours ago, Namtak said:

Looks great but what is a darth revan and i tought i knew star wars!!

Such a great character.  This figure is from the video game series Knights of the Old Republic.  I don't like that Disney is putting this character into comics.  Anyone who has played the game would understand that writing new stories for Revan changes the in-game character.  I don't want to give anything away...  it's a great game that I hope will be remastered and re-released with better graphics.

1 hour ago, Yorick said:

Such a great character.  This figure is from the video game series Knights of the Old Republic.  I don't like that Disney is putting this character into comics.  Anyone who has played the game would understand that writing new stories for Revan changes the in-game character.  I don't want to give anything away...  it's a great game that I hope will be remastered and re-released with better graphics.

revan isnt in any marvel comics

52 minutes ago, silversurfer275 said:

revan isnt in any marvel comics

My mistake.  Dark Horse's series of the same name "Knights of the Old Republic".