• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,323 posts in this topic

Found this extremely helpful and thought others might too. 

As some know, I really want to move.  One of my biggest toy moving worries relates to the Tomahawk.  It's just delicate and not the smallest item.  

Those flippin rotor blades can/do break easily.  
So I've been aching to find a way to remove them without breaking the blade itself.  

Someone posted the following on Facebook and it worked well (finally something of value on that dreaded site):

https://www.facebook.com/733118450/videos/10158512438813451/

Very gingerly attempted on mine today and it worked wonders.  I knew one of my blades was previously broken; this video loosely gave me an idea of how to remove the broken piece inside. 

Pretty happy camper this is now done. 

Patrick

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

So, I guess I've decided to go back and re-buy the Toy Biz X-Men figures, at least the first wave.

My connection to the series is odd. When they came out in 1991, I was a teenager in high school. I still occasionally read comics, but I no longer "played" with toys, and didn't really have the money or interest to start collecting them at that time. I bought a couple out of duty to my younger self. All I wanted when I was a kid was X-Men toys. We got Secret Wars Wolvie, and Iceman, and that was it! I so desperately wanted X-Men toys, in the scale of Star Wars and GI Joe.

By the time X-Men toys came out in 1991, I wasn't interested in playing with them, they also weren't in that coveted GI Joe scale, and frankly, the initial figures were kinda ugly. So, aside from the few I bought out of supposed obligation, I didn't LOVE them the way I might had they come out a few years earlier.

Throughout the 90's, there was a glut of X-Men product on the shelves, a seemingly endless supply available on clearance at KB Toys, and all of the flea markets littered with old stock. It seemed like you couldn't give them away. Then Marvel Legends happened, and whatever shred of relevance the original X-Men line may have held was completely done away with.

Now, fast forward 30 years, these are vintage, and suddenly everything that made them cheesy to me as a teen, is now charming. So, I thought I'd pick them up on the cheap.

BUT...they're not that cheap anymore! At least not what I'm looking for: the original release, which came with punch-out cards and Marvel Impel cards that related directly to the character in the package. As far as why these are no longer common as dirt, I'd imagine it's a variety of factors: Rule of 25/30; the retro card Marvel Legends releases further stirring nostalgia; and the boom of the Marvel Card market. The cards included with these toys are nearly identical to the Marvel cards, but they have a Toy Biz logo on the back, which makes them a variant. I think folks are finally wising up to these as well, so all of the cheap figures have been sucked up off of the bay.

They'd soon be replaced by cards with hang-tabs and random cards, which are still fairly easy to find, and then repaints on hanger cards, which are easy as well. But that original wave, on NICE cards? Not so easy to find. Toy Biz used some sort of cheap cardboard to make these packages, as nearly every figure you find has a warped card.

I'd really like to get some unpunched cards, and have my eyes open, but this is the start of the collection. We'll see how long it takes me to complete the set at a price I'd find reasonable. I really love the orange TRU sticker on Nightcrawler. Hits the nostalgia button hard.

Also, I remember this back in the day as well: Nightcrawler was easily the nicest sculpt in the initial wave, but they stuck GD giant suction cups on him, which ruins the effect! Oh well, he still looks pretty cool on card.

tl;dr: I'm having a midlife crisis.

If I were doing this I would make Deadpool a priority.  ToyBiz Deadpool is the first release of a Deadpool figure unlike Wolverine who was issued in the Secret Wars line.   I have a feeling that, like cards, we will eventually see people chasing 'rookie' figures.   I pretty much open everything up so... not my collecting focus... but... you never know.

2 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Found this extremely helpful and thought others might too. 

As some know, I really want to move.  One of my biggest toy moving worries relates to the Tomahawk.  It's just delicate and not the smallest item.  

Those flippin rotor blades can/do break easily.  
So I've been aching to find a way to remove them without breaking the blade itself.  

Someone posted the following on Facebook and it worked well (finally something of value on that dreaded site):

https://www.facebook.com/733118450/videos/10158512438813451/

Very gingerly attempted on mine today and it worked wonders.  I knew one of my blades was previously broken; this video loosely gave me an idea of how to remove the broken piece inside. 

Pretty happy camper this is now done. 

Patrick

When the Eaglehawk was released I compared my vintage Tomahawk to the modern version and immediately sold off the Tomahawk.  Everything from the front glass to the rotor blades were improved.  Hasbro also made disassembly much easier.   There are sooooo many more improvements though.    Check out the link for the review on Generals Joes.   You have to track one of these down.  There is a reason these things are selling for $150-200 on the aftermarket. 

http://generalsjoesreborn.com/reviews/2013/retaliation/vehicles/echo/eaglehawk.html#:~:text=Fantastic detail work%2C amazing articulation,he works for that%2C too.

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

When the Eaglehawk was released I compared my vintage Tomahawk to the modern version and immediately sold off the Tomahawk.  Everything from the front glass to the rotor blades were improved.  Hasbro also made disassembly much easier.   There are sooooo many more improvements though.    Check out the link for the review on Generals Joes.   You have to track one of these down.  There is a reason these things are selling for $150-200 on the aftermarket. 

http://generalsjoesreborn.com/reviews/2013/retaliation/vehicles/echo/eaglehawk.html#:~:text=Fantastic detail work%2C amazing articulation,he works for that%2C too.

The Tomahawk was definitely made to never come apart.  I just couldn't part with it as it's one of my favorite all time Joes.  

But I would add that Eaglehawk to my collection.  Though I don't collect newer toys, it's too similar to the original and cool.  I didn't realize they were going for so much.

Patrick

5 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

The Tomahawk was definitely made to never come apart.  I just couldn't part with it as it's one of my favorite all time Joes.  

But I would add that Eaglehawk to my collection.  Though I don't collect newer toys, it's too similar to the original and cool.  I didn't realize they were going for so much.

Patrick

What I like most about it is the means to accessorize by plugging in backpacks and other gear to the sides and interior as well as the polarized canopy.  I might have to dig that out.  I am hoping that with the retro line we may see some new / revisited vehicles.  The one they really hit the bullseye on was the Water Moccasin since they made a new one slightly bigger with an improved turret.  Oh and the most important thing is that the figure actually fits in the cabin lol. 

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Hi,im always interested in the collecting trend and was somewhat puzzuled by a few thing you wrote on this post, seems like you sell old vintage version to upgrade to more practical new version sometimes, as a collector im puzzles and curious, the old version is the one from our past does it not have a sentimental value or you like the best version?everyone collects what they like as should be...and i collect toys but its my fourth or fifth priority in collecting so im somewhat new in toy collection just wanted your toughts on the subject thanks.  

39 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Hi,im always interested in the collecting trend and was somewhat puzzuled by a few thing you wrote on this post, seems like you sell old vintage version to upgrade to more practical new version sometimes, as a collector im puzzles and curious, the old version is the one from our past does it not have a sentimental value or you like the best version?everyone collects what they like as should be...and i collect toys but its my fourth or fifth priority in collecting so im somewhat new in toy collection just wanted your toughts on the subject thanks.  

Fair question... 

My thoughts on GI Joe are well known.  From the plastic to the design you are dealing with brittle plastic that degrades over time.   So, if I want a nice piece to display I will easily sell off my Tomahawk which I know is going to get worse with age and rake in the money.  In return I still want a Tomahawk so I will buy the newer and improved version which has features that will allow it to last longer.  In the case of the Eaglehawk, the engines open with a hinge.   The original tabbed in with plastic pieces that often broke apart.  The bombs did not stay in place as easy.  

Now when it comes to Star Wars figures, they have more lasting power and they were made with a better quality of plastic.  I have a complete loose set of Star Wars figures. When it comes to the vehicles though, you cannot have everything, so given the ability to have an original Millennium Falcon or the BMF Falcon... the BMF Falcon wins hands down.   It's just that much more awesome... 

On the left the BMF Falcon that fits four figures in the cockpit vs the original Kenner version on the right... 

In the second photo in the background, is the newer AT-AT which is more in scale with the figures.  In the foreground is the original Kenner mold. 

unnamed.jpg

at-at2_1276806436.jpg

1 hour ago, Namtak said:

Here is another example... The original Water Moccasin from the 1980's versus the redesigned "Sting Raider" 

They made the Sting Raider slightly bigger so it actually fits the figures and does not have their heads sticking up.  The turret was no longer a hollow shell top so weapons cannot get lost in the vehicle. The ski torpedo slides rather than plugs in so it does not get lost.   Same vehicle, except they corrected several design flaws such as size and play features. 

http://generalsjoesreborn.com/reviews/2008/anniversary/Vehicles/stingraider.html

Thanks buzzetta,i dont collect g.i.joe figure not a fan(no offense to the hardcore fans)its interesting to know about plastic quality/listing longer,im unfamilliar with that thanks again

10 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Pretty cool.  Got a list of 1st waves? 

I'm almost positive I donated my Wolverine not that long ago.  Seems like I'm saying that a lot lately.  
But like you, it was a bit later in life for me so I passed on all but the canuck. 

Patrick

Sure! The initial Toy Biz wave was Wolverine (brown costume), Nightcrawler, Storm (black costume), Cyclops (white/blue X-Factor costume), Colossus, Archangel (white wings), Magneto, Juggernaut Apocalypse. All came on cards with "punch out" hangers, and corresponding Marvel 1990 Impel trading cards. Cyclops was also sometimes issued with the Apocalypse card, for some reason.

All were later reissued on cards with hanger tags and randomly inserted character cards.

Finally, Cyclops was reissued with the classic Blue/Yellow costume, Storm with grey/silver costume, Archangel with grey wings, and Colossus with a maroon/brown costume. I don't think they reissued that initial Wolverine or Nightcrawler sculpt. Wolverine soon came out in the popular "TIger Stripe" classic costume with pop-out claws, and the Nightcrawler figure wasn't issued again.

The initial line also had two Danger Room playsets, a weird motorcycle with claws for Wolverine, Magneto's "Magnetron" vehicle, and super-size figures of Wolvie and Mags.

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If I were doing this I would make Deadpool a priority.  ToyBiz Deadpool is the first release of a Deadpool figure unlike Wolverine who was issued in the Secret Wars line.   I have a feeling that, like cards, we will eventually see people chasing 'rookie' figures.   I pretty much open everything up so... not my collecting focus... but... you never know.

Indeed, you are correct! Deadpool is already one of the pricier figure in the series. Not crazy expensive yet, but a solid seller in the $50-$75 range, which isn't bad, considering most of the other figures from that wave/era are in the $5-$10 range. I fondly remember buying that one off of the pegs. Even though I was "too old" to play with them, that figure had pretty decent articulation at the time, and a cool retractable knife.

For the same reasons you cite, I'm surprised that the Secret Wars Wolverine figure isn't more expensive. Perhaps its just because there's too much product out there, but you can still pick up MOC figures for about $100, which feels low to me given the significance of the figure. Of course the black claws variant is much more expensive.

8 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Indeed, you are correct! Deadpool is already one of the pricier figure in the series. Not crazy expensive yet, but a solid seller in the $50-$75 range, which isn't bad, considering most of the other figures from that wave/era are in the $5-$10 range. I fondly remember buying that one off of the pegs. Even though I was "too old" to play with them, that figure had pretty decent articulation at the time, and a cool retractable knife.

For the same reasons you cite, I'm surprised that the Secret Wars Wolverine figure isn't more expensive. Perhaps its just because there's too much product out there, but you can still pick up MOC figures for about $100, which feels low to me given the significance of the figure. Of course the black claws variant is much more expensive.

There is ONE Secret Wars figure that I am interested but I am nervous about something... I have no knowledge or information about the bubble strength on the cards.  Hasbro GI Joe cards were very sturdy from what I have seen and the bubbles heat seal has maintained itself even after thirty years.  Kenner Star Wars bubbles seem slightly weaker from my experience.  

So... I am just looking for that Secret Wars figure on the loose side of things... before it goes more nuts than it already is. 

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

There is ONE Secret Wars figure that I am interested but I am nervous about something... I have no knowledge or information about the bubble strength on the cards.  Hasbro GI Joe cards were very sturdy from what I have seen and the bubbles heat seal has maintained itself even after thirty years.  Kenner Star Wars bubbles seem slightly weaker from my experience.  

So... I am just looking for that Secret Wars figure on the loose side of things... before it goes more nuts than it already is. 

I mostly do loose Secret Wars stuff, but there are three exceptions. I have an unpunched Hobgoblin and Wolverine (silver claws) that I bought off of a FB guy locally a year or two ago, and I have my Iceman that I bought waaaaaaay back at a comic show for $30 when I was about 10 years old. That was my first real "collectible" toy. I knew I'd never seen anything like it and desperately wanted it. I made a deal with my folks, signed a little handwritten contract and everything, agreeing that I'd do any amount of chores, lawn-mowing, etc that they saw fit, for as long as they wanted, if they'd loan me the money. It was a good investment! It's my favorite piece in my collection.

I'm not sure if the bubbles of the European released figures were made of a different material or not, but it has always seemed a little thinner to me than the domestic releases. Still, 30+ years later, it's clear and tight. And the other two are similarly clear and tight, no issues. I see a lot of yellowing on SW bubbles, I guess it's all dependent on the environment they were stored in, which is the case with pretty much anything, really. . 

2 hours ago, Namtak said:

I have the danger room but my favorite was the black bord,damn i played to death with it awsome toy and best of all it separates into three pices/véhicules....ha good times:preach:

s-l1600.jpg

3948482-4175779527-f15a3.jpg

Love it!

I am torn between getting a loose but as perfect as possible black suited secret wars Spider-man or a MOC Black Suited Spider-man or a Spider-man Mego, all three of which I have never owned. 

I also want to point out that I have had Spider-man Mego with no damage to the uniform on my Christmas list for the last four years and still no Spider-man Mego.  Then everyone complains that I buy myself everything I want and I am difficult to shop for. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Buzzetta

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Love it!

Yeah but just pics on the net to be honest but someday soon i might try to buy one in box ,i still have the original in my parents basement somewhere in detache format,i should go and do an inventory clean keep and sell some migjt be time,havent seen those toys in years:preach:

38 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am torn between getting a loose but as perfect as possible black suited secret wars Spider-man or a MOC Black Suited Spider-man or a Spider-man Mego, all three of which I have never owned. 

I also want to point out that I have had Spider-man Mego with no damage to the uniform on my Christmas list for the last four years and still no Spider-man Mego.  Then everyone complains that I buy myself everything I want and I am difficult to shop for. 

giphy.gif

Don’t get me wrong, Megos are my absolute favorite toys from when I was a kid, but my attitude towards them is kind of like yours towards carded Joes: they’re a time-bomb waiting to go off. 

I don’t know if you have a preference for T1 or T2 bodies. The T2 stand on their own better but they’re basically held together with a rubber band. I’ve never done it myself, but I’ve read that restringing a T1 body is a bit easier and comes out better. 

But the plastic used on the 70’s wasn’t always the best. I’ve had figures where thumbs or (most commonly) the knees spontaneously break.  If it’s the pin you can replace it but if it’s the joint you’re kind of stuck. 

That’s the long way of saying I wouldn’t pay a premium for one. Spider-Man is probably one of the most common, but as crazy as the market is for everything now I have no idea what the going rate is for one. 

I totally get wanting one though. 

Edited by Number 6