• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,314 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:02 PM, Bird said:

You people...I bought these today at an estate sale but only because of seeing the MF all the time here on the boards! Had to take the others (Fisher Price) with the Falcon, which is incomplete 1979 version but enough there to flip it. See the estate sales thread to see why I went there. :sumo:

DueP1AzWwAAT1Eb.jpg

My mother bought me that spaceship when I was maybe 4? That thing saw Star Wars, He Man, and GI Joes flying all over the universe. I have heard mine is still in their attic, I should go grab it.

9 minutes ago, Old Fashion PB and J said:

My mother bought me that spaceship when I was maybe 4? That thing saw Star Wars, He Man, and GI Joes flying all over the universe. I have heard mine is still in their attic, I should go grab it.

I had a Millenium Falcon, but it's the familiar story that my mom gave away all my Star Wars stuff while I was in college.  I had most of the Star Wars toys from the 1970s and early 1980s, all gone!  Death Star, Hoth set, Falcon, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Darth Vader figure carrying case, 3.75" and 12" figures, even the remote-controlled R2-D2 and a large Yoda rubber hand puppet..

She asked the friend she gave it to if she could have it all back since I later expressed an interest in it and since her friend's son is in his 30s, but her friend told her no because it's so valuable now.  :makepoint:

Edited by fantastic_four

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I had a Millenium Falcon, but it's the familiar story that my mom gave away all my Star Wars stuff while I was in college.  I had most of the Star Wars toys from the 1970s and early 1980s, all gone!  Death Star, Hoth set, Falcon, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Darth Vader figure carrying case, 3.75" and 12" figures, even the remote-controlled R2-D2 and a large Yoda rubber hand puppet..

She asked the friend she gave it to if she could have it all back since I later expressed an interest in it her friend's son was grown now, but her friend told her no because it's so valuable now.  :makepoint:

Oh man lmao. My toys are all gone, the spaceship remained because I had that toy through my entire childhood. My mother apparently worked overtime so she could buy me that for Christmas and it was well enjoyed by me.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Do you guys know some good display stands, or guides for displaying figures on various surfaces?  The best generic ones I'm aware of right now are these:

https://www.amazon.com/MLST-A01C-multi-stand-clear-multiple/dp/B00UUTBFGY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545227099

But I'm also curious about techniques and tools for mounting them to vertical surfaces, hanging them from above, etc.  I posed the five X-Men figures from the original X-Men set a while back in my display case, and for Angel I tied a copper wire around his waist and fed it down from the roof of the case so he appeared to be flying.  But that was a huge pain to do, so I'm looking for easier ways to achieve similar results.

41ivnjwcasL.jpg

I bought a NECA stand from Target the other week for my Archangel figure. $9.99. Works great. Looks a little bit more sturdy than the ones you have pictured. They also sell them on BBTS.

@fantastic_four Juggernaut is another character that I think is under-utilized. I really enjoyed the Trial of the Juggernaut arc where he & She-Hulk were an item; it gave him a reason to consider hanging it up and trying to be a good guy. Doesn't really work with his powerset, but every time he dabbles in heroics its usually a decent story.

1 hour ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I bought a NECA stand from Target the other week for my Archangel figure. $9.99. Works great. Looks a little bit more sturdy than the ones you have pictured. They also sell them on BBTS.

Like this?  This is from BBTS:

3220bf3f-14e4-4103-9803-b52a44ad949f.jpg

An advantage of the one on Amazon is it comes with 5 stands, and you can configure the claw hooks in a variety of ways.  Straight up is one option, but here are examples of others:

31+jSbfO86L.jpg

3 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Oh cool, I didn't realize Target was carrying the stands in their NECA section too! I'll have to check that out. I never feel like waiting around to order one of these from BBTS or whatever, but if I can just grab one at Target, that'd be great!

7 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Got this on the way, it's from 2011.  His eyes light up and he says 18 different things when you press the button on his chest, and he's 16" tall next to the 3.75" Wolverine in the pic below that comes with him.  Probably also going to pick up the 2011 Marvel Legends Build-a-Figure version.  There are four versions of this with the most recent coming out just this year, but I decided I liked this specific one from 2011 the best.  The one from this year doesn't have light-up eyes and lacks multiple paint details, particularly silver paint on the wires running through the wrists and ankles.  He looks more accurate to the comics with 1:18 3.75" figures as opposed to the 1:12 6" figures that dominate the modern market, but meh, should be fine.

Wow, would I have killed for this stuff when I was 10.  I remember playing with G.I. Joe figures and just pretending they were Marvel characters.  :pullhair:  I vividly recall imagining that Destro was Colossus because of the similar silver metal head and using one of the bulkier ones as Juggernaut because I liked imagining fights between those two.  :slapfight:

DSCN8361.jpg

Love that Sentinel. I'm hoping that Santa is bringing me the recent Amazon exclusive "Days of Future Past" two pack, because I never got around to buying one (assuming they'd have tons of them) and now they're already sold out! Should have bit earlier, but couldn't justify paying $87-$99 for them. Maybe they'll get more in stock.

On 12/7/2018 at 6:29 AM, fantastic_four said:

Anyone know why Hasbro doesn't consistently crank out the Marvel Legends figures?  Anything that isn't actively produced seems to end up going for multiples of the $20 release price even a year or two after release.  Earlier this year the Legends Wolverine was $50 until they released more.  Now my kid wants a Cyclops, and the Legends version pictured below is the absolute best I've seen.  Almost every Legends figure I've seen from the past few years is absolutely awesome and this one is no exception.  But you can't get it for less than $50 despite it just coming out two years ago at $20!  :makepoint:

MLScyclops-9.jpg

On 12/19/2018 at 8:55 AM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

On 12/19/2018 at 10:55 AM, fantastic_four said:

Like this?  This is from BBTS:

3220bf3f-14e4-4103-9803-b52a44ad949f.jpg

An advantage of the one on Amazon is it comes with 5 stands, and you can configure the claw hooks in a variety of ways.  Straight up is one option, but here are examples of others:

31+jSbfO86L.jpg

I wish toy manufacturers would announce full series so you know when/what is coming out... I love the marvel legends 12", but I never know the status of it... are they releasing more?

As far as the stands, I bought one set and It worked well with my marvel legends figures, but I had to create my own using some metal hangers..  see video below... (you can see the figures at the 4:30 minute mark..)

Picked up the Diamond Select Colossus.  I've also got the Select Juggernaut pictured below coming in this week as well as the Legends Build-A-Figure Juggs coming in to see which of the two I like best.  Love the Select Colossus with two reservations--he's not fully in scale with 6" Marvel Legends characters at 8" tall, and as is true with many Select characters the legs barely move forwards.  Meh, neither issue is a big deal, it's no big thing that Colossus is 8 feet tall when next to Marvel Legends figures instead of the 7' 5" he's depicted as in the comics and also in both Deadpool movies, he's supposed to be huge so being slightly more huge is barely noticeable.  Really good classic detailing on him, love it more than all the other versions I've seen.

ms_colossus5.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

On 12/22/2018 at 4:32 PM, BOLORINO said:

I wish toy manufacturers would announce full series so you know when/what is coming out... I love the marvel legends 12", but I never know the status of it... are they releasing more?

As far as the stands, I bought one set and It worked well with my marvel legends figures, but I had to create my own using some metal hangers..  see video below... (you can see the figures at the 4:30 minute mark..)

There will always be surprises but many of the toy manufacturers do.  Hasbro announced a year's worth of Star Wars figures except for movie figures (to keep things under wrapped as per gag agreement with Disney) at Toy Fair and SDCC.  They divide it all up.

Lego just basically revealed everything from now until June of 2019 when they will then start revealing the next half of the year. 

You can always get a good idea of the six month plan for Marvel figures at Toy Fair and then again at SDCC.

Got stiffed this weekend and it's looking like potentially twice.  Getting tougher to find legit people. 

Bought this a bit ago.  

I'm not a fan of the toy at all.  They were more interested in creating another six-changer than a good toy.  

Compared to Sixshot, it's terrible. 

But this piece is in amazing condition.  I don't think it was ever played with. 

You can see that the labels were never applied.  

The box is really nice too.  

Add that together with a dirt cheap price = purchase. 

Patrick

20181119_205739.jpg

20181119_205919.jpg

Edited by followtheleader

On 12/14/2018 at 7:52 AM, F For Fake said:

The HT Star Wars stuff sure is pretty, and I have been very tempted to get into the line, but I swore off Star Wars many years ago, and am trying to stick to my guns. There's just too much product to keep up with. Even if you only concentrate on one type of toy, like 4", or Black Series, or 1:6 scale, there's still an enormous amount of product. I just can't do it. So, I just look at the pics and think "Wow, that's really cool".

Yes, the new MP Optimus is crazily priced, and I'm not really sure why.I haven't kept up with the MP stuff, but what's new about this one that justifies the price? The last model also came with the trailer, didn't it?

At least for me, I don't get every figure in a line. That helps. You can pick the main Star Wars heroes. My plan is for Jedi Luke to be with the upcoming Hot Toys R2. Also, Endor Luke and hopefully Leia for either the Sideshow or possible Hot Toys Speederbike. I'll probably never get all of The Avengers either.

I don't keep up with Masterpiece toys much either. I just watch for my favorite Transformer characters. I guess they want to push the limit and see what people will pay?

On 12/14/2018 at 8:04 AM, fantastic_four said:

That's fine.  But at any point in time it seems quite difficult to even find out what all the options are to begin to assess.

Maybe price guides?  Is there an equivalent with action figures to what Overstreet or GPA are to comics?

Why don't you just check ebay sold listings for characters and sort it by highest price. At least that way you can see what figure of a character is popular and in demand. Sometimes that also equals the best figure of that character.

On 12/14/2018 at 1:49 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I saw some people were ordering it from Amazon Japan for around $300 USD.

Thanks. I guess that means Optimus will make Amazon's US site too. I've never ordered from the Japanese site before.

On 12/15/2018 at 11:02 AM, Bird said:

You people...I bought these today at an estate sale but only because of seeing the MF all the time here on the boards! Had to take the others (Fisher Price) with the Falcon, which is incomplete 1979 version but enough there to flip it. See the estate sales thread to see why I went there. :sumo:

DueP1AzWwAAT1Eb.jpg

I saw that Space Shuttle either here or somewhere. I have the image saved to maybe get it again. It was one of the cool older toys.

2 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:
On 12/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, F For Fake said:

The HT Star Wars stuff sure is pretty, and I have been very tempted to get into the line, but I swore off Star Wars many years ago, and am trying to stick to my guns. There's just too much product to keep up with. Even if you only concentrate on one type of toy, like 4", or Black Series, or 1:6 scale, there's still an enormous amount of product. I just can't do it. So, I just look at the pics and think "Wow, that's really cool".

Yes, the new MP Optimus is crazily priced, and I'm not really sure why.I haven't kept up with the MP stuff, but what's new about this one that justifies the price? The last model also came with the trailer, didn't it?

At least for me, I don't get every figure in a line. That helps. You can pick the main Star Wars heroes. My plan is for Jedi Luke to be with the upcoming Hot Toys R2. Also, Endor Luke and hopefully Leia for either the Sideshow or possible Hot Toys Speederbike. I'll probably never get all of The Avengers either.

I've settled into getting the best version of the characters I like, and then I'm done.  I get why people want to get all of a particular line or size--it extends the hunting phase of collecting--but with eBay and enough money, hunting doesn't take all that long anyway.  So far I'm finding that Marvel and Star Wars figures are in such demand that if you buy a quality one they're not hard to sell, so upgrading to a newer and better piece should be relatively simple.  From there, it's now about setting up dioramas in my display cases.  Right now I'm just posing them facing each other, but I want to find all the tools to make that far more dynamic--display stands, props, etc.

I don't see myself going for the ultra-high end of Star Wars stuff from the 1970s even though that's when I started.  I had pretty much everything they put out at the time while I was a kid, and the modern figures are SO much more detailed and better articulated that they're just not holding appeal for me now.  That's mostly because I'm having a blast letting my son play with the figures I buy, and obviously that's not an option with something in a professional grader's case.  That's the main thing that's got me thinking about selling my statues, too, the fact that you can't use them at all.  Marvel's really good figures didn't start until the 1990s and I had the Mego Batman, Robin, Superman, and Spider-Man as a kid, so I've got little desire to chase the high end there, either.

The Hot Toys-style figures aren't appealing to me.  I don't want a Wolverine that looks like Hugh Jackman, I want one that looks like Wolverine from the comics.  I've got the Revoltech Wolverine coming in a few days and I'm ultra-excited about it.  :cloud9:

Amazing-Yamaguchi-Revoltech-Wolverine-00

2 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:
On 12/14/2018 at 9:04 AM, fantastic_four said:

That's fine.  But at any point in time it seems quite difficult to even find out what all the options are to begin to assess.

Maybe price guides?  Is there an equivalent with action figures to what Overstreet or GPA are to comics?

Why don't you just check ebay sold listings for characters and sort it by highest price. At least that way you can see what figure of a character is popular and in demand. Sometimes that also equals the best figure of that character.

That does seem like a great way to do it, thanks!

Edited by fantastic_four

Even the sixth scale comic-styled premium figures aren't appealing to me.  Below are the upcoming Sideshow Wolverine and Magneto figures...I'm not liking the look, at least yet.  They lack the artistic flair guys like Byrne, McFarlane, Lee, or the cartoon animators taught me to love.  They do look rather realistic, and I rationally believe I SHOULD appreciate that...yet, somehow, I don't.  hm  If you were going to actually create real versions of the comic costumes, they would probably look a lot like they do on these figures...but they're not translating to reality well for me.  :blush:

51tXLaInPXL._SY679_.jpg  DorpdBcXUAE-AUo.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

On 12/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, F For Fake said:

Hm You could always go after at least one of every vintage figure...

...And if you've come this far, maybe you're willing to come a little further. You remember the name of the town, don't you?... (Wait, wrong movie...)

Anyway... 

If you want to take it a step further you could then go for the best version of its modern counterpart...