• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: HAN SOLO (5/25/18)

410 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Ok... It was much better than I expected. Word of mouth was not very good on this and the attendance showed. When I went to see Rogue One the theater was packed. For Solo, I bought three tickets this afternoon on the way home from work. The three of us sat in a theater that was definitely not sold out. However, 

The movie IS a heist movie. There are elements of the Fast and the Furious 5 (As far as the heist aspect), Mad Max, Mission Impossible, AND Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Alden Ehrenreich is believable in the roll and gets by as Han Solo without trying to be Harrison Ford playing Han Solo if you understand. The guy that took over Chewbacca is also very good. Harrelson shines as Tobias Beckett. As reported Donald Glover's Lando steals the show. 

If you know watched the Clone Wars TV series and Rebels then you will appreciate the rewrites and reshoots that Ron Howard made in order to better fit it into the timeline. There are a lot of references without being obnoxious about it. 

What I most appreciated was that it told an original story. That was my biggest gripe with Force Awakens. Even though we know where these characters are going, the -----script is tight enough to tell an original story and enter new ground simply from a few throwaway lines in the original trilogy. The Kessell Run is fully explained and is compelling to watch. How Han meets Chewbacca is also revealed. How Han get's his "look", his gun, and his attitude is also addressed. 

I promise you that Jabba the Hutt and Boba Fett are NOT in this movie. However, there is a big reveal in the end. If you watched the Clone Wars and Rebels then you will be pleasantly surprised. Alden Ehrenreich signed up for a three picture deal so it looks like they are headed to Tattooine next OR they are leaving the ending up to the imagination. 

My current ranking after seeing all ten films:

1 - Episode IV: A New Hope
2 - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 
3 - Episode VIII: Last Jedi
4 - Rogue One 
5 - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
6 - Episode III Revenge of the Sith 
7 - Solo: A Star Wars Story - Might be better with another viewing
8 - Episode II: Attack of the Clones
9 - Episode I: Phantom Menace
10 - Episode VII: The Force Awakens 

My disappointment with Force Awakens is that it just rehashes the best of moments of the original trilogy and does not really do anything storywise. Han Solo, Like Rogue One, the Prequels and the Last Jedi, create an original story. You may not like that story, but it is something new unlike the hack job that Abrams gave us. 

3 out of 5 stars. 

More importantly though... there are 343 more days until Avengers 4.

I liked this more than The Force Awakens, and Rouge One. Still processing just got back.

Movie has an amazing Atomic BOMB moment that had the fans going ape-@#$m which pushes the movie into a new territory. My kids can't stop talking about it.

(You will know it when you see it)

A couple minor quibbles. But overall fun. Starts out a bit slow, takes things a bit safe for the most part, but some great twists at the end. I suspect most fans will be very happy, especially if you follow the cartoons. Alden Ehrenreich did a solid job, really liked Woody Harrelson and Glover. Loved Chewy.

Edited by Rip

Hate to say but my friends and I are not going to see this, after the hack job that was the Last Jedi we wanted to show our distaste by not going to pay to see this and will see it later at home. We felt like we got the finger after Jedi so we're giving it back :preach: I know they don't care and it doesn't matter to Disney but it makes us feel better lol This will be the first Star Wars movie we didn't see opening night, but from the trailers I've seen it looks like it would be a fun movie :cry:

Edited by Azkaban

8 hours ago, Azkaban said:

Hate to say but my friends and I are not going to see this, after the hack job that was the Last Jedi we wanted to show our distaste by not going to pay to see this and will see it later at home. We felt like we got the finger after Jedi so we're giving it back :preach: I know they don't care and it doesn't matter to Disney but it makes us feel better lol This will be the first Star Wars movie we didn't see opening night, but from the trailers I've seen it looks like it would be a fun movie :cry:

So it looks fun...but you aren't going to see it...

2 hours ago, zuckuss2003 said:

So it looks fun...but you aren't going to see it...

we're not going to pay to see it, we will watch it eventually

55 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

You just need to see it a second time IN THE THEATER and then this will all become clear.

:baiting:

13 hours ago, Rip said:

A couple minor quibbles. But overall fun. Starts out a bit slow, takes things a bit safe for the most part, but some great twists at the end

I found it a little bit boring and safe for most of the time, although it did get more interesting towards the end, especially with the unexpected reappearance of a very cool character.

I should watch it again sometime, when I've had more than two hours sleep, and didn't take a short, involuntary power nap about halfway through.

Rogue One remains my favourite Disney era Star Wars film.

4 hours ago, Azkaban said:

... but a forumite already posted that 'there is no animal being milked' in Solo, thus should be safe for yee eyes and fragile Force sensitivity. greggy is looking forward to the Jedi-mind meld. :kidaround:

I went to the early showing today...at 8:30 am!  It was great - modest sized crowd.

As for the movie, I thought it was slow and clumsy - it was trying so hard to cram Han's identity that's been developed over seven films into one long movie.  I actually found the movie boring, and this is coming from someone who loves the Star Wars franchise.  I was disappointed.

Just came back from Solo & there were maybe 2 dozen people in the entire theater. Lineup wasn't very large for the next showing either. I think I preferred it to Rogue One but I don't expect it to do well @ the Box Office. Will be surprised if it crosses 700 mill worldwide. Looks like they left an opening for a squeal though. I would expect Solo 2 to do better from the groundwork in this film.

Simply put, Star Wars is not the same without the Jedi.

Edited by chezmtghut

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

Just came back from Solo & there were maybe 2 dozen people in the entire theater. Lineup wasn't very large for the next showing either. I think I preferred it to Rogue One but I don't expect it to do well @ the Box Office. Will be surprised if it crosses 700 mill worldwide. Looks like they left an opening for a squeal though. I would expect Solo 2 to do better from the groundwork in this film.

Simply put, Star Wars is not the same without the Jedi.

the market agrees, "stock" is tanking hard

It felt like a great movie was hiding in there somewhere, but for some reason was just not fully realized. In the end it was just OK.  I was entertained, but far from blown away.  I do however like it better than last Jedi.  For me the Disney Star war movies stack up as follows...

1. Rogue One (which I personally put as my third favorite SW movie)

2. Force Awakens

3. Solo

4. Last Jedi

Edited by drotto

2 hours ago, drotto said:

It felt like a great movie was hiding in there somewhere, but for some reason was just not fully realized. In the end it was just OK.  I was entertained, but far from blown away.  I do however like it better than last Jedi.  For me the Disney Star war movies stack up as follows...

1. Rogue One (which I personally put as my third favorite SW movie)

2. Force Awakens

3. Solo

4. Last Jedi

You put TLJ too high on the list.

ok, I saw the movie yesterday after work with my friend and in the theater, there were about two other people watching it. I gotta say this but the movie was OK nothing great just OK I do agree it does feel like an amazing movie was hiding but never fully realized. it's my lowest of the new star wars films and 3 lowest in my overall star wars films.

1.empire 

2.return of the Jedi

3. the last Jedi 

4. New hope 

5. Rogue one 

6 force awakens 

7. revenge of the Sith 

8. Han solo 

9 attack of the clones 

10. phantom menace 

16 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

... but a forumite already posted that 'there is no animal being milked' in Solo, thus should be safe for yee eyes and fragile Force sensitivity. greggy is looking forward to the Jedi-mind meld. :kidaround:

looks like my friends and I aren't the only ones boycotting this movie, even tho no animal being milked is a plus :facepalm: