• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: HAN SOLO (5/25/18)

410 posts in this topic

Disney’s Solo: A Star Wars Story began with a $65.0 million overseas opening weekend, as part of a $148.3 million global opening. This comes in far below the openings of other recent Star Wars films:

• 2017’s The Last Jedi: $230.8M overseas opening (10th all time), $450.8M global opening (6th all time)
  • 2016’s Rogue One: $135.0M overseas opening (45th all time), $290.0M global opening  (27th all time)
  • 2015’s The Force Awakens: $281.0M overseas opening (5th all time), $529.0M global opening (3rd all time)

By contrast, Solo falls entirely outside the top 100 overseas openings ever, while barely cracking that tier as the #96 best global opening ever.

The biggest sticking point was China, the world’s largest non-U.S. film market, where the title only opened to $10.1 million. By comparison, Last Jedi opened to $28.1M en route to $42.5M, Rogue One opened to $39.0M there en route to $69.4M total, and Force Awakens opened to $52.3M en route to $124.1M. Solo seems likely to end up with a fraction of those amounts in China.

The Star Wars franchise has been less reliant on overseas grosses as a percentage of its global total than many of this decade’s other biggest movie franchises, such as Avengers, Transformers, or Fast and the Furious. For example, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story earned 49.6 percent overseas, Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned 54.7 percent, and Star Wars: The Last Jedi earned 53.5 percent. That’s less than the 60 percent or higher that most other blockbusters take in from overseas.

The new Force Awakens crowd don't care about Han Solo and the OT fans really can only see Harrison Ford as the character.  I'm not surprised it didn't fare as well as the other Star Wars movies, but I didn't expect such a low turnout.  

The Last Jedi still leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I think of it.  Could be that way for many others too...

5 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

Kathleen Kennedy won't be around for much longer. I think after IX she will be gone

I wish she would go now so that IX can be salvaged.

6/8 Oceans 8
6/15 Incredibles 2
6/22 Jurassic World 2
6/29 Soldado
7/6 Ant-Man 2
7/27 Teen Titans GO!
7/27 M:I 6
9/14 Predator
10/5 Venom
10/12 Goosebumps 2
11/16 Fantastic Beasts 2
11/21 Creed 2
11/21 Wreck-It Ralph 2
11/21 Robin Hood
12/14 Into Spider-Verse

Tight road ahead.

I can't see any way Disney can justify a sequal to Solo. It would need 3.38x opening weekend to pass 500 mill & there's no back up from China to support this one. While most SW films do end up 3x - 4x opening weekend, I don't see that happening here. Will end in the 350 - 400 range. Seems like Harrison Ford is one of the few that actually loved this movie.:sorry: Too bad because they left a nice opening for what could have been a great squeal.

16 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am surprised how poorly Star Wars movies do in China at the box office compared to the Marvel mpvies.

Even when they purposely dropped 'Star Wars' from the title so it was just 'Solo' to overcome the China barrier. AND, running all the old movies through theaters as a form of franchise indoctrination.

Seriously, reaching across to Marvel Studios and learning how it keeps everything pieced together and interesting wouldn't be a bad thing. And keeping it within the Mouse family.

2 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I can't see any way Disney can justify a sequal to Solo. It would need 3.38x opening weekend to pass 500 mill & there's no back up from China to support this one. While most SW films do end up 3x - 4x opening weekend, I don't see that happening here. Will end in the 350 - 400 range. Seems like Harrison Ford is one of the few that actually loved this movie.:sorry: Too bad because they left a nice opening for what could have been a great squeal.

space sci-fi just isn't popular in that part of the world. The only exception being Japan where Star Wars is big.

On the other hand China is crazy for Iron Man especially.

Weekend estimate (no holiday Monday) is 83,325,000.  The Sunday estimate is 23,000,000.  I am wondering how that translates to a holiday Monday?  Is it going to break 100 million? Is it going to hit the low end 4 day weekend of 105 million?

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am surprised how poorly Star Wars movies do in China at the box office compared to the Marvel movies.

I must have some Chinese blood in me because I don’t like Star Wars anymore after the first three, they have me lost an confused now????

17 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

I must have some Chinese blood in me because I don’t like Star Wars anymore after the first three, they have me lost an confused now????

Rian Johnson was lost and confused when he did the Last Jedi, :facepalm:

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

6/8 Oceans 8
6/15 Incredibles 2
6/22 Jurassic World 2
6/29 Soldado
7/6 Ant-Man 2
7/27 Teen Titans GO!
7/27 M:I 6
9/14 Predator
10/5 Venom
10/12 Goosebumps 2
11/16 Fantastic Beasts 2
11/21 Creed 2
11/21 Wreck-It Ralph 2
11/21 Robin Hood
12/14 Into Spider-Verse

Tight road ahead.

You know looking at this list,maybe Han Solo might have fared better at the box office if they had released it later in the year than now?

hm

On 3/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, paperheart said:

every time i see this trailer i can only think of the scene in Hail, Caesar where Ehrenreich continually flubs his line; he seems terrible for this.  i think DP2 is gonna make mincemeat of Solo

:acclaim:

4 hours ago, Azkaban said:

Rian Johnson was lost and confused when he did the Last Jedi, :facepalm:

True story.  It took me a bit to process what I thought of Last Jedi, but I finally boiled it down to — “Is the guy...?  Is the bear...?”

Shout out to Super Troopers for providing the clarity.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:47 PM, paperheart said:

every time i see this trailer i can only think of the scene in Hail, Caesar where Ehrenreich continually flubs his line; he seems terrible for this.  i think DP2 is gonna make mincemeat of Solo

Had they gotten Chris Pratt to sign on as Hans, I'm sure Solo would have done much better overall.

14 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I can't see any way Disney can justify a sequal to Solo

I never thought  a sequel would be necessary, even before watching the film, and it does expand sufficiently on details from Han's story in the original trilogy well enough to make more exposition, and another cinema ticket, a bit redundant. Already a mediocre, padded, and empty experience before additionally factoring in the box office failure.

Edited by Ken Aldred

17 hours ago, drotto said:

Weekend estimate (no holiday Monday) is 83,325,000.  The Sunday estimate is 23,000,000.  I am wondering how that translates to a holiday Monday?  Is it going to break 100 million? Is it going to hit the low end 4 day weekend of 105 million?

Just squeaked by.