• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: HAN SOLO (5/25/18)

410 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2018 at 6:40 AM, Bosco685 said:

That was about as full as the 12:30 PM showing I went to on Saturday was in one of two IMAX theaters in my area.  I was pretty surprised how few people were there.

I enjoyed it about as much as Rogue One, but it didn't have any "I GOTTA SEE THAT AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!" moments like Rogue One did with the Darth Vader sequence at the end.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:11 AM, Anfield Fox said:

Kathleen Kennedy won't be around for much longer. I think after IX she will be gone

Are you suggesting Disney will force her out or that she's leaving for some personal reason?

Why'd they release this a week after Deadpool and with Infinity War still in theatres?  Given that Disney owns the full stake or a partial stake in all three of those movies you'd think they'd space them out more.  Isn't late summer pretty wide open?  I don't recall seeing any major releases after the new Jurassic World movie.

For what its worth my 10 year old Nephew saw this over the weekend and loved it, he's a big Chewie fan so maybe not surprising but he had a good time.

I'm going to watch Deadpool 2 instead, The Last Turd put me off Star Wars for a long while.

19 minutes ago, bane said:

For what its worth my 10 year old Nephew saw this over the weekend and loved it, he's a big Chewie fan so maybe not surprising but he had a good time.

I'm going to watch Deadpool 2 instead, The Last Turd put me off Star Wars for a long while.

I find myself actively rooting against Star Wars now in the hope that the quicker the thing dies the sooner it can be rebooted, and in an infinite universe where anything is possible, perhaps we can rely a little more on Timothy Zahn and some of the established literary universe the next time.

1 hour ago, RedRaven said:

I find myself actively rooting against Star Wars now in the hope that the quicker the thing dies the sooner it can be rebooted, and in an infinite universe where anything is possible, perhaps we can rely a little more on Timothy Zahn and some of the established literary universe the next time.

Maybe Disney should sell Star Wars to WB?

33 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Maybe Disney should sell Star Wars to WB?

Yup.  Then we could have the Star Wars / New Gods film.

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup.  Then we could have the Star Wars / New Gods film.

directed by Ava Duvernay which will bury her career so deeply her follow up project will be a prequel to Zack Snyder's The Fountainhead

Edited by paperheart

One part of the film I really liked was Qi'ra's character arc.  Specifically this (spoilers):

Spoiler

We all probably assumed she'd die since we know Solo ends up with Leia, but making her turn evil is a MUCH better idea.

I'm torn about her role in any sequel.  Obviously it would explore Qi'ra and her relationship with Darth Maul, but the entire idea of Maul even still being alive is so dumb I'm not sure how interested I even am.  He's the coolest villain in any of the films, but Lucas killed him!  The retcon resurrection is just dumb, so I was intrigued yet ultimately disappointed to see him appear in this film.

Has Disney confirmed there will be a Solo sequel?

I listened to Mark Kermode's (Brit reviewer) review of Solo and he said Donald Glover was very good as Lando, the host then says "there is a rumour he will get his own spin off", Kermode retorts, "there is a rumour every piece of furniture in a Star Wars movie will get a spin off".

So true with Disney! lol

6 minutes ago, bane said:
I listened to Mark Kermode's (Brit reviewer) review of Solo and he said Donald Glover was very good as Lando, the host then says "there is a rumour he will get his own spin off", Kermode retorts, "there is a rumour every piece of furniture in a Star Wars movie will get a spin off".

So true with Disney! lol

Thinking of the cow in this scene as being Star Wars, Luke as being Bob Iger, and Rey as being nostalgic Star Wars fans works as a pretty good metaphor for Disney's relationship with Star Wars.  :blush:

giphy.gif

56 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

One part of the film I really liked was Qi'ra's character arc.  Specifically this (spoilers):

Hide contents

We all probably assumed she'd die since we know Solo ends up with Leia, but making her turn evil is a MUCH better idea.

I'm torn about her role in any sequel.  Obviously it would explore Qi'ra and her relationship with Darth Maul, but the entire idea of Maul even still being alive is so dumb I'm not sure how interested I even am.  He's the coolest villain in any of the films, but Lucas killed him!  The retcon resurrection is just dumb, so I was intrigued yet ultimately disappointed to see him appear in this film.

Has Disney confirmed there will be a Solo sequel?

Spoiler

George Lucas, his daughter (Katie Lucas), and Dave Filoni brought Maul back about 6-7 years ago in some of the best Clone Wars Episodes. Nothing to do with Disney there. He was also in Rebels which has some great stuff as well.

Edited by Rip

4 minutes ago, Rip said:

George Lucas, his daughter (Katie Lucas), and Dave Filoni brought Maul back about 6-7 years ago in some of the best Clone Wars Episodes. Nothing to do with Disney there. He was also in Rebels which has some great stuff as well.

Not really a spoiler there so I'll keep it out of tags--I'm aware of that, but it's just so dumb.  I'm going to need more than they provided in those episodes to believe he didn't die instantly after being cut in half.

22 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Not really a spoiler there so I'll keep it out of tags--I'm aware of that, but it's just so dumb.  I'm going to need more than they provided in those episodes to believe he didn't die instantly after being cut in half.

So you still had a problem after watching the Clone Wars episodes? There's more back story in print. Is it a bit of a stretch? Sure why not, but the stories are so damn good its well worth it.

("The Lawless" is the highest rated episode for good reason)

Edited by Rip

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Thinking of the cow in this scene as being Star Wars, Luke as being Bob Iger, and Rey as being nostalgic Star Wars fans works as a pretty good metaphor for Disney's relationship with Star Wars.  :blush:

giphy.gif

I literally cringed watching this when I saw it for the first time and actually did one of these in the theater :facepalm: After he tossed the saber and then followed that up with this I couldn't believe what I was seeing. What a waste doh! in my humble opinion

It’s been suspected that former stormtrooper Finn is the son of the stormtrooper who banged his head on the door frame while marching through the Death Star corridors in Episode 4.  Soon Disney will be filling in the detailed backstory here, as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Are you suggesting Disney will force her out or that she's leaving for some personal reason?

Force her out. Her mismanagement has been a calamity.

A Star Wars movie doing this badly, not to mention one that cost $300m is not what Disney anticipated when paying $4 Billion. Yes the previous 3 were a huge (financial) success but lets face it - Anyone in Hollywood could have delivered those numbers with the pent up demand for Star Wars in 2015, especially for Luke, Han and Leia returning.

Just look at her record

2013 Michael Arndt was hired to write the sequel trilogy but was fired and replaced.

2015 Josh Trank was hired to develop a Boba Fett movie and then fired after Fantastic Four was released.

2016 Gareth Edwards directed Rogue One but was replaced by Tony Gilroy for extensive reshoots.

2017 After 2 years working on it, Colin Trevorrow was fired from IX because of the poor reviews the Book of Henry recieved.

2017 Lord and Miller were a couple of weeks from finishing Solo before being fired. 85% of the film was reshot by Ron Howard which resulted in it being one of the most expensive films ever made.

This is without even getting into the fallout from The Last Jedi and her decision to give Rian Johnson a new TRILOGY two weeks before the most divisve Star Wars film was released or her own personal agenda she has been pushing for Star Wars.