• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: HAN SOLO (5/25/18)

410 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Lobot needs his own movie.

Brilliant! Throw Ugnaught into the mix and I smell a seven film "Road To..." series in the style of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby.

2 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

2017 Lord and Miller were a couple of weeks from finishing Solo before being fired. 85% of the film was reshot by Ron Howard which resulted in it being one of the most expensive films ever made.

:whatthe:

Gatsby will be along soon with "Wow, that beats Justice League's situation. You know...Justice League. Have I told you my comparison thoughts on Justice League?"

:insane:

19 hours ago, fantastic_four said:
19 hours ago, bane said:
I listened to Mark Kermode's (Brit reviewer) review of Solo and he said Donald Glover was very good as Lando, the host then says "there is a rumour he will get his own spin off", Kermode retorts, "there is a rumour every piece of furniture in a Star Wars movie will get a spin off".

So true with Disney! lol

Thinking of the cow in this scene as being Star Wars, Luke as being Bob Iger, and Rey as being nostalgic Star Wars fans works as a pretty good metaphor for Disney's relationship with Star Wars.  :blush:

giphy.gif

Since that seemed like a cynical post, I should add that I'm completely fine with this and it's what I wanted for DECADES before Lucas finally sold off his company.  He was selfish to hold onto his babies so far into their adulthood...he should have passed on the mantle to someone else in the 1990s, or at least after he was done with the prequels in the late aughts.

I'm also fine with the milking scene.  I laughed when I saw it.

Edited by fantastic_four

2 hours ago, Anfield Fox said:

Force her out. Her mismanagement has been a calamity.

A Star Wars movie doing this badly, not to mention one that cost $300m is not what Disney anticipated when paying $4 Billion. Yes the previous 3 were a huge (financial) success but lets face it - Anyone in Hollywood could have delivered those numbers with the pent up demand for Star Wars in 2015, especially for Luke, Han and Leia returning.

Just look at her record

2013 Michael Arndt was hired to write the sequel trilogy but was fired and replaced.

2015 Josh Trank was hired to develop a Boba Fett movie and then fired after Fantastic Four was released.

2016 Gareth Edwards directed Rogue One but was replaced by Tony Gilroy for extensive reshoots.

2017 After 2 years working on it, Colin Trevorrow was fired from IX because of the poor reviews the Book of Henry recieved.

2017 Lord and Miller were a couple of weeks from finishing Solo before being fired. 85% of the film was reshot by Ron Howard which resulted in it being one of the most expensive films ever made.

This is without even getting into the fallout from The Last Jedi and her decision to give Rian Johnson a new TRILOGY two weeks before the most divisve Star Wars film was released or her own personal agenda she has been pushing for Star Wars.

Actually, my response is to your whole post.

Kennedy's record is just fine. A solid 3 wins to 1 loss.

And some of those firings were easily justified.

Josh Trank would have been a disaster (and btw, he was fired primarily because Simon Kinberg saw his behavior on FF first-hand -- and he went to Kennedy with the recommendation to make a change).

I like Colin Trevorrow, but Tony Gilroy is a genius -- and Rogue One's final 20 minutes (purportedly the bulk of the film's re-shoots) were perfect. My fear -- all the way along -- was that Disney would chicken out on killing the team off (not "family-friendly-Star-Wars" enough). That they didn't...and then ended with the most bad- Vader scene of the series -- spoke volumes.

Rian Johnson took risks and subverted fanboy expectations. I loved it.

I've especially never understood the fanboy hate for Luke's throwing away his lightsaber. His action reflects the worldview of experienced Jedi masters.

- Having seen (and felt) the Dark Side, he's retired and shut himself off from the Force. Makes sense, and fits perfectly with what Yoda told him in Empire "Wars not make one great." True Jedis are pacifists -- they avoid war and violence whenever possible.

- Luke previously threw away his lightsaber in his final battle with Vader in Jedi.

- Kenobi doesn't throw his away, but he clearly gives up in his battle with Vader in Star Wars -- essentially the same thing.

So...there's precedent; just like there's precedent for Luke drinking the blue milk in Star Wars.

Maybe because I'm not a fan boy but after the prequel trilogy I was fine with there never being any more Star Wars movies.

Out of the new batch Rogue One is my favourite. 
Force Awakens was a remake of A New Hope, still mildly entertaining.
Last Jedi was truly awful.

Solo, can't say I'm going to rush to see this at the cinema.

Supposedly Trevorrow was fired because of the bad reviews Book of Henry received, but according to those in the know, he had severe creative differences with Rian Johnson. Particularly, he was opposed to the killing of both Luke and Snoke, as they were an important part of his movie, and frankly that's what J.J. planned before genius Johnson was given carte blanche to just make up whatever he wanted to on the fly, and spit all over the SW legacy.

J.J. sure has his work cut out for him. I'm not even his biggest fan, but I'm relieved to see an actual SW fan back on board. I hope he can create something worthwhile out of the mincemeat that Johnson left for him.

Half the problem with this movie is what they spent on it.  People are making comparisons now with Solo and some of the second and third tier Marvel movies like Ant Man, and the first Thor.  Now, this may be a valid comparison until you consider a few big things.

1. Those movies had budgets around $150 million and a total box office around 450 million.  Those movies made money.  Solo has a reported budget over 250 million.  The same numbers are therefore not profitable. 

2. Those were b and even c list characters with no general public awareness.  Han is part of the Star Wars trinity. There is no comparison with character recognition. 

3. Expectations.  A c list marvel character making 450 million is at or above expectations.  A Disney Star Wars has never made under 1 billion.

2 hours ago, drotto said:

Half the problem with this movie is what they spent on it.  People are making comparisons now with Solo and some of the second and third tier Marvel movies like Ant Man, and the first Thor.  Now, this may be a valid comparison until you consider a few big things.

1. Those movies had budgets around $150 million and a total box office around 450 million.  Those movies made money.  Solo has a reported budget over 250 million.  The same numbers are therefore not profitable. 

2. Those were b and even c list characters with no general public awareness.  Han is part of the Star Wars trinity. There is no comparison with character recognition. 

3. Expectations.  A c list marvel character making 450 million is at or above expectations.  A Disney Star Wars has never made under 1 billion.

This is spot on.

Re. point 3 (Expectations) - Forbes' Scott Mendelson has pointed out the unfortunate possibility that Rogue One over-performed.

Had it made only $650-$800 million worldwide, or even less -- the expectation wouldn't be baked in that even a one-off "Star Wars Story" _had_ to do $1 billion+

At some point, these films should be done truly small scale (a la $160 million) and be allowed to make just $400 million worldwide.

As it stands, Solo may finish at just $250 million domestic -- which is respectable if you're a normal film but not (yet) if your a Star Wars one.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

This is spot on.

Re. point 3 (Expectations) - Forbes' Scott Mendelson has pointed out the unfortunate possibility that Rogue One over-performed.

Had it made only $650-$800 million worldwide, or even less -- the expectation wouldn't be baked in that even a one-off "Star Wars Story" _had_ to do $1 billion+

At some point, these films should be done truly small scale (a la $160 million) and be allowed to make just $400 million worldwide.

As it stands, Solo may finish at just $250 million domestic -- which is respectable if you're a normal film but not (yet) if your a Star Wars one.

I wonder if the movie was "small scale" until they went off the rails with reshoots.  Say the budget was 175 million then they spent 100 million more to "fix" the film.  If they had tried to salvage the film with what they had shot and made 450 million Disney would have made money.

Instead, Disney bought into this idea that the film was destined to make massive bucks because all the other movies had. But they needed to fix it first, and fixing it worked with Rogue One. An extra 100 million is peanuts if it gives you a chance to break 1 billion again. To them Star Wars seemed bulletproof, so why not go for it. However, if they want to keep making one movie per year, they must dial back expectations and understand that many great movies "only" make 500 million. 

The MCU gets this 100%. They know some films have much lower earning potential and budget them accordingly. 

12 hours ago, Harley Troy said:

Lobot_TCG_by_Barger.jpg

I want headphones like that...the sound must be phenomenal.  :cloud9:

No, really, what the heck is that thing supposed to do for him?  ???  I always thought of it as generic tech attached to his head to look gawdy/impressively futuristic that serves no practical purpose.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

No, really, what the heck is that thing supposed to do for him?  ???  I always thought of it as generic tech attached to his head to look gawdy/impressively futuristic that serves no practical purpose.

Distracts from his baldness.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

He's an android so he was designed to be bald...maybe the people of Bespin all look like Telly Savalas.  :blush:

We don't say Android anymore, we say Alternately-Human. To the sensitivity mines of Vulcar with you!

Solo was great. Really entertaining, nice call-backs/references, and quick pacing for such a long movie (I would have bet it was 1:30 instead of 2:15, it goes by that quickly). If you're on the fence and have any interest in Star Wars movies, I'd recommend you see it this weekend.