• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: HAN SOLO (5/25/18)

410 posts in this topic

I have started re-watching the original trilogy in preparation far in advance for this film. I have the 2004 Box Set Edition, where Lucas altered certain scenes to take advantage of advances in CGI.

Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope is very sharp visually. But things like the Han Solo/Jaba conversation at the Millennium Falcon's launch bay seem out-of-place and distracting (I found out later this was added in the 1997 relaunch). I think by the time I get to the third film, that is where they added Hayden Christensen as the ghost of Luke's father.

:eek:

I need to pick up the unedited versions.

Do you have a VHS player? The unedited are not on DVD :sorry:

That's when Lucas decided to do all the changes to Star Wars, Greedo shooting first etc. Adding Boba to ANH.

In the launch bay, Jabba was actually a person and they had to CGI over him. Then Harrison Ford walks behind the person and so they made Solo walk on his tail with CGI :screwy: They added this as an explanation of why Han is " In it for the money".

At the end of ROTJ, yes you will see Hayden instead of Sebastian Shaw.

That's when Lucas decided to do all the changes to Star Wars, Greedo shooting first etc. Adding Boba to ANH.

In the launch bay, Jabba was actually a person and they had to CGI over him. Then Harrison Ford walks behind the person and so they made Solo walk on his tail with CGI :screwy: They added this as an explanation of why Han is " In it for the money".

:cry:

I thought they would go back to the classic versions at some point on DVD/blu-ray.

The launch bay scene is very clunky looking. Even at one point Harrison Ford's hand disappears into the Jabba CGI. And I did notice the little 'tail walk' behind Jabba. It was very distracting, and really added no value to the storyline.

Oh well.

I have started re-watching the original trilogy in preparation far in advance for this film. I have the 2004 Box Set Edition, where Lucas altered certain scenes to take advantage of advances in CGI.

Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope is very sharp visually. But things like the Han Solo/Jaba conversation at the Millennium Falcon's launch bay seem out-of-place and distracting (I found out later this was added in the 1997 relaunch). I think by the time I get to the third film, that is where they added Hayden Christensen as the ghost of Luke's father.

There are unedited versions for DVD. Walmart released them several years back. Each movie came with a TPB.

I thought they would go back to the classic versions at some point on DVD/blu-ray.

The launch bay scene is very clunky looking. Even at one point Harrison Ford's hand disappears into the Jabba CGI. And I did notice the little 'tail walk' behind Jabba. It was very distracting, and really added no value to the storyline.

Oh well.

Which version of the Jabba scene did you watch again? There is the 1997 Special Edition versions and the vastly cleaned up 2004 DVD version. I know you said 2004 DVD, but you are describing the 1997 Special Edition version. Weird.

There are unedited versions for DVD. Walmart released them several years back. Each movie came with a TPB.

I was unaware that Walmart released them. Thanks for the info, I'm going to track them down (thumbs u

Edit: Found it, Original Theatrical Cut (thumbs u

Edited by Catwomancomics

Oh well.

Which version of the Jabba scene did you watch again? There is the 1997 Special Edition versions and the vastly cleaned up 2004 DVD version. I know you said 2004 DVD, but you are describing the 1997 Special Edition version. Weird.

It is the 2004 Anniversary Set. But in reading up on any of the edits included, the write-up I happened across said any of the additional scenes used came from the 1997 Special Edition set, and that all they did was clean up the visuals and audio for the 2004 set.

Is that right?

I was unaware that Walmart released them. Thanks for the info, I'm going to track them down (thumbs u

Edit: Found it, Original Theatrical Cut (thumbs u

I'll be right behind you!

:whee:

Thank you, rjrjr.

Oh well.

It is the 2004 Anniversary Set. But in reading up on any of the edits included, the write-up I happened across said any of the additional scenes used came from the 1997 Special Edition set, and that all they did was clean up the visuals and audio for the 2004 set.

Is that right?

There are other subtle changes, but this is pretty much correct. The Jabba scene from 1997 was one of those scenes.

There were 2006 double disc "Limited Edition" DVDs of the original trilogy with the 1997 Special Edition on disc 1 and the original laserdisc transfer of the original cut on disc 2 (somewhat muddy looking compared to the upconverted Special Edition.)

I used to see these at Best Buy only around 2008-2011, but haven't seen them since other than online. I only see the Special Editions and Episodes 1-3 at yard sales and used DVD stores.

Was NOT a fan of the add-ins :sick: , shouldnt mess with classics! Time to whip out the VHS! I come from a family of packrats,we most definitely saved ours! "Be kind, please rewind." (thumbs u

Was NOT a fan of the add-ins :sick: , shouldnt mess with classics! Time to whip out the VHS! I come from a family of packrats,we most definitely saved ours! "Be kind, please rewind." (thumbs u

lol Just got rid of mine (bought in '86 by my parents) about 3 years ago

IMO the worst revision in the original trilogy was the added band scene at Jabba's Palace in ROTJ. The CGI looked like something out of Sesame Street and completely felt out of place. Some other alterations were OK I guess, but I'd prefer unaltered versions myself.

The Han Solo Movie Has Found Three Female Lead Frontrunners

According to Variety, Creed's Tessa Thompson, Power Rangers' Naomi Scott and Mad Max: Fury Road's Zoe Kravitz tested for the Han Solo movie's female lead earlier this week, though the character's identity hasn't been revealed yet. These auditions occurred during the second round of tests, with the first round occurring in the early summer. Sources told the outlet that it may be a couple weeks until a final decision is made. Production is set to begin sometime in early 2017, so Miller and Lord don't have a lot of time to waste getting the main cast assembled. Regardless, we'll likely get an update which woman will be joining the movie soon.

cb1f409277e9f5754a1a0df913112c814f2ebd6c.jpg

336a3b0ef81489a8e77015ec109e3ced43a6f36b.jpg

0176b971d64e5d3643d6436361d8fe347558de4e.jpg

I forgot Zoe Kravitz starred in another role.

ATLANTA Star Donald Glover Has Been Cast As Lando Calrissian In HAN SOLO

877CQiV.png

Donald Glover has landed the highly coveted role of Lando Calrissian in the yet-to-be titled Han Solo stand-alone spin-off film, which is expected in theaters summer 2018. Lucasfilm announced the casting themselves in a statement released earlier this afternoon.

Glover now joins Alden Ehrenreich (Hail, Caesar!), who has signed on for the title role, in a film that will depict the formative years of the two scoundrels-turned-heroes and will of course, take place long before the events of The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi where he reunited with Solo and joined Luke Skywalker & Leia Organa in the fight against Darth Vader and the Empire.

7veaEmB.jpg

Star Wars: Emilia Clarke Cast In Han Solo Film

CR34mA0.jpg

Recently, fan-favorite Donald Glover came on board to play Lando Calrissian, but there are plenty more roles to be filled. Rumors have been swirling about who could play Han Solo‘s female lead, with names like Tessa Thompson and Zoe Kravitz allegedly being considered. Now, that part may be filled, as Game of Thrones star Emilia Clarke is set to enter the galaxy far, far away.

Per an announcement from Disney, Clarke has officially joined the cast of Han Solo. In typical Lucasfilm fashion, her role is being kept under wraps for now. The only information revealed is that she will “round out a dynamic cast of characters Han and Chewie will encounter on their adventures.”

Those who have been following the development of the project might recall that at one point, Lucasfilm was reportedly looking for a non-white actress for the female lead in Han Solo, but that seems to have changed now. It’s unlikely Disney would bring in a big-name talent like Clarke for a small supporting role, meaning that her mystery character probably factors heavily into the narrative. That may be disappointing for some who were hoping Han Solo continued the franchise’s committment to diversifying Hollywood tentpoles, but what matters most is finding the right fit for the part. Clarke obviously made an impression on Lord and Miller in her audition, and it will be interesting to learn who she plays. Odds are, it’s a completely new character given Han Solo‘s place in the canon timeline (i.e. she’s probably not young Princess Leia).

Yes, they are. The 2006 DVD version includes both the "special" editions and the original theatrical editions. Be warned, though, these are just transfers from the laser disc (except the first few minutes of ANH, which are actually cleaned up film print, and looks nice, and includes the ORIGINAL opening crawl, before they added the "episode IV" title.) These are referred to as the "GOUT" (George's original unaltered trilogy.)

IIRC, it's tough to distinguish between the 2004 and 2006 editions, as their packaging is similar, and, even if you have the right ones, someone might have removed the bonus discs that you want.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Original_unaltered_trilogy

You can also look into getting the Harmy "despecialized" edition, but this is of questionable legality.

Rumor: Could the untitled Star Wars: Han Solo stand-alone see a December 13th, 2018 release date?

Interestingly, over the holiday, our sources in the theater industry have received a release date of December 13th, 2018 for Star Wars: Han Solo. We are not saying the release date has changed but it could signify that a release date shift for Star Wars: Han Solo is in the works. The paperwork states the release date is subject to change for Han Solo. It was strange to hear that from disparate sources in the theater industry, but at the same time there’s a variety of factors that could have caused a mistake to occur (see products that assume Rey’s last name is Skywalker). Some dates on some paperwork sent to corporate does not conclusively mean the release date for the untitled Star Wars: Han Solo stand-alone has changed. Often where there’s smoke there’s fire so we’re sharing the information in case the story does develop.

If you want to get conspiratorial, only the July 7th press release for Christopher Miller and Phil Lord directing the untitled Han Solo film has a May release date. The press releases for Emilia Clarke in November and Donald Glover in October both used a general “The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018” which suggests a less than firm release date for the film. However, these were written with two Star Wars films waiting to be release before Han Solo and maybe they didn’t feel the need to be specific at that time.