• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: HAN SOLO (5/25/18)

410 posts in this topic

'Star Wars': Han Solo Film Loses Directors

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are no longer directing the Han Solo Star Wars spin-off.

"Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm in a statement.

"Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase 'creative differences' but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew," said a statement from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

Han Solo.gif

I _really_ wanted to find video of Ron Howard's classic 1982 Saturday Night Live skit when he was hosting to promote his new movie "Night Shift."

Eddie Murphy plays the host of a movie talk show sent to interview Howard about the film and instead he just spends the whole time mercilessly mocking him, calling him "Little Opie Cunningham."

1982_10_09_50.jpg

New SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY Plot Details Arrive; Tease "A Different Solo" To The One We Know

A copy of an Empire Magazine issue has leaked online, revealing new details about Solo: A Star Wars Story, the standalone prequel film about a younger Han Solo who may be "different" than what we've seen.

The magazine doesn't spoil much, but it does compile some intriguing plot points about the new film. Most notably, it teases "A Different Solo" from what fans are used to along with a quote from legendary Star Wars screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan. "You have to imagine him in his early twenties," Kasdan told the LA Times in 2015. "What was he like before he hardened up? Before he put on his cynical coat? What got him there?" It also talks a bit about his training, and hints that we'll see a "variation" of how Han met his longtime friend and co-pilot Chewbacca. "It's part of Solo lore that, as a young gifted pilot, he studied at the Imperial Academy at Carida. Solo is kicked out of the Academy for rescuing Chewbacca from an Imperial Officer, and thus one of the cinema's greatest friendships was formed. Some variation on this is likely in Solo."

As we've heard in the past, it's likely we'll also see the legendary Kessel Run that Han mentions in A New Hope play out on the big screen. The magazine talks about how Ron Howard tweeted a picture of a mine shaft with the caption "Spicey?" "This is most likely a nod to the spice mines of Kessel, a galactic prison where inmates mine a precious spice," the magazine says. "It also suggests the Kessel Run, the hyperspace route used by smugglers, will play a part."

Additionally, it seems as though the Millennium Falcon will be a bit different looking than when we saw it in hits heyday. Set photos have indicated the Falcon will more closely resemble the one seen in Revenge of the Sith, white with the blue accent marks.

Lastly, the magazine mentions the iconic pair of golden dice hanging in the cockpit and suggests we could see them again in Solo. We already know Han won the Millennium Falcon from Lando Calrissian - played in this film by Donald Glover - in a game of Corellian Spike, a variant of the game sabaac using two pairs of six-sided dice. "Perhaps Solo will feature a set-piece around a fancy-dan D&D sesh," the magazine teases. You might've noticed the dice also appeared briefly in Star Wars: The Last Jedi, so it'd be surprising if they didn't also show up in the upcoming spinoff.

Remembering back to the early news about this movie when one of the reporting sites hinted they knew who was playing Han Solo. One of the directors asked for details - because they hadn't started casting yet.

(:

On 12/29/2016 at 6:32 PM, Bosco685 said:

He is accurate most times with his findings and predictions. But like even the best, they can get a false lead or two. The best was when he had a rumor of who was going to play Han Solo. One of the co-directors had fun with that 'news'.

z6bMArX.png

lol

FORBES.COM: 'The Last Jedi' Puts (Unfair) Pressure On 'Solo: A Star Wars Story'

One of the weirder scenarios over the course of the last month, specifically pertaining to Walt Disney's Star Wars: The Last Jedi (which is about to end its first month as 2017’s biggest global grosser, give or take a day or two), is how it positions the next Star Wars movie. No, I’m not talking about Star Wars Episode IX, as I’ll argue that the apparent close-ended nature of this first trilogy will mitigate much viewer displeasure over Rian Johnson’s divisive sequel. Even if folks weren’t crazy about The Last Jedi, most will still show up to see how the Rey/Kylo/Finn/Poe story comes to an end. But it does leave the NEXT Star Wars movie, namely Solo: A Star Wars Story, in an odd position.

Even with a likely final gross of $640-$660 million domestic and $1.3 billion+ worldwide (it was at $1.205b as of Sunday night) that will put it past Iron Man 3 and Frozen to be among the top-five domestic and top-ten global grossers of all time, there is a narrative arguing that A) the film should have been even bigger and B) the film’s mixed fan reaction is partially to blame for the lower grosses. It’s no secret that I wasn’t expecting Last Jedi to come anywhere near the $937 million domestic/$2.068b worldwide gross of The Force Awakens and viewed the likely finish line as somewhere between $1.3-$1.6b worldwide. But I was also admittedly shocked at the divisive fan response. Sure, some of it was anti-SJW trolling, but plenty of folks legitimately didn’t care for the movie.

With a tumultuous production history (Phil Lord and Chris Miller being replaced by Ron Howard), the copious reshoots (which, for better or worse, now seemingly involve Howard reshooting most of the movie) and somewhat questionable appeal of a Han Solo origin story, Solo: A Star Wars Story hasn’t exactly been looked at as Lucasfilm’s shining star. Opening the film in May, just weeks after Avengers: Infinity War (and a week before Deadpool 2) won’t help either. Had The Last Jedi been as well received by the fans (or at least the fans shouting loudest on the Internet) as it was by critics and (I would argue) the bulk of general moviegoers, then Solo would have been something of a freebie even if the reshoots have driven the budget beyond the realm of sanity. But the reaction to The Last Jedi complicates things.

It is interesting how what came out recently will now lead to slightly cautious eyes on the next movie. And yet 'The Last Jedi' is a huge financial success.

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

FORBES.COM: 'The Last Jedi' Puts (Unfair) Pressure On 'Solo: A Star Wars Story'

It is interesting how what came out recently will now lead to slightly cautious eyes on the next movie. And yet 'The Last Jedi' is a huge financial success.

I find it interesting that a story is being put out that if Han Solo bombs then it won't be the studios "fault".  This Scott Mendelson fellow seems to think that anyone that didn't like TLJ was either a SJW hater or a rube.

Edited by media_junkie

19 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I find it interesting that a story is being put out that if Han Solo bombs then it won't be the studios "fault".  This Scott Mendelson fellow seems to think that anyone that didn't like TLJ was either a SJW hater or a rube.

Oh, you are not kidding. He has written a series of articles about how anyone not seeing the wonderful beauty that is 'The Last Jedi' are just whinny fanboys and girls.

But that's his style. Even on Twitter, he jokes about the amount of hate responses he gets, meaning he is doing his job. Like being a critic is meant to be someone hated by readers.

Edited by Bosco685

To be fair, he beat the same drum about Rogue One well before its release as well. 

There, his narrative was "Is it ever okay for a Star Wars film to make *just* $500 million worldwide, even if it's just a one-off "Star Wars story?"

Keep in mind that this when a Star Wars spin-off story had never been done before -- and for a film that -- like Han Solo -- required significant unplanned re-shoots by a different director.

I'll see it, but mainly because:

• I'm a sheep who will pretty much watch any Star Wars movie at this point -- only one I've turned off was the first of those hideous Ewok movies back in '85.
  • I'm curious to see what Donald Glover does as Young Lando.

But the main thing is - no one asked for this.

Han Solo (and Harrison Ford's portrayal) was perfect. Going back now (a la Young Indiana Jones) seems stupid -- as part of the character's mystique is *not knowing* how he got there.

The only way I see this being really *good* is if they make it a solid -- and slick -- heist film. But even that rode has been well-worn by Firefly.

And - by way of proper geek cred - I remember reading the first few Lando and Han Solo stories back before there even *was* an official EU (i.e., Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Han Solo at Star's End, Han Solo's Revenge, and Lando Calrissian and the Mind Harp of Sharu).

Most (all?) of those books came out before Return of the Jedi.

26 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

And so... the new (old / original) Falcon has been revealed.  Spoiler alert - from Lego...

Hide contents

5a5555c65a107_KesselRunMF.thumb.jpg.ba5c13e9b041a914e6542a1dc7fc4262.jpg

Many suspected they would add the blue stripes since the Revenge of the Sith artwork had it looking at lot like this back in 2003

But the single prong is new.

Some spoilers from other lego sets: http://millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2027&t=10107&sid=1594bf3effc58dc8c9e4911ae705b926