• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High Chuck claims ownership of 10 million comic books..

133 posts in this topic

I would never buy Silver or older from them. But there are always Copper and Modern deals hiding, especially with the discount code.

Yep. Use MileHigh for what he is good at: older '70's and '80's oddball material you are chasing down. When I decided to fill in my back issues of Nemo, the comic strip magazine, Chuck had most of the issues I needed at reasonable price all under one roof. Same when I wanted to fill in comic strip collections (say, Johnny Hazard by Pacific Comics (?)). All there at good prices.

I would never buy Silver or older from them. But there are always Copper and Modern deals hiding, especially with the discount code.

Yep. Use MileHigh for what he is good at: older '70's and '80's oddball material you are chasing down. When I decided to fill in my back issues of Nemo, the comic strip magazine, Chuck had most of the issues I needed at reasonable price all under one roof. Same when I wanted to fill in comic strip collections (say, Johnny Hazard by Pacific Comics (?)). All there at good prices.

That's what I used to do in the early nineties. Quite a number of obscure, great condition indie comics from his cheap Specials section. Interesting that after all this time it can still work in a similar way.

Absolutely. I have filled in a lot of holes for $1 a pop when it comes to weird 80's indie books, not to mention tons of 90's DC prestige format books, random Batman titles, etc. I would never buy keys, or pre-bronze books from him, but for copper and modern weirdness, he is hard to beat on selection, and if you catch a good sale, price as well.

Chuck. of mile high comics, just posted the latest YOU TUBE video newsletter..he claims he has 8 million comic books in one store on Jason street called the mega where house which is 65,000 SQ FT and 2 million comic books stored at his ranch house, claiming be own the most comic books in the world, .and he wants more......

Sounds like someone is jealous of the Impossible Collection...

Absolutely. I have filled in a lot of holes for $1 a pop when it comes to weird 80's indie books, not to mention tons of 90's DC prestige format books, random Batman titles, etc. I would never buy keys, or pre-bronze books from him, but for copper and modern weirdness, he is hard to beat on selection, and if you catch a good sale, price as well.

I bet that this is the bulk of his business, books bought for a nickle and sold for a dollar.

Mitch,

Shelton Drum from Heroes Aren't Hard to Find visited Chuck's place not long ago and posted that he was amazed by it and had no doubt that Chuck had as many books as he claimed.

Mitch,

Shelton Drum from Heroes Aren't Hard to Find visited Chuck's place not long ago and posted that he was amazed by it and had no doubt that Chuck had as many books as he claimed.

How about the two million on the ranch?

I have no intention of putting Chuck down. In his decades in the comic business, he must have had a least a few satisfied customers in order to still be in business. This is NOT saying I agree with SOME of his practices (like listing things on eBay and showing a stock photo rather than an actual photo), but again, as a customer, I am free to choose where to buy my books (and for me personally, I rarely make the decision to go to Mile High). Are his books over FMV? I think they are for what I am looking for. Again, however, I can choose to buy or not to buy. No one is twisting my arm.

I am surprised, however, at the comment (posted earlier) that you go to Chuck because he will have what you are looking for (paraphrased).

I just searched his site for Action Comics and then did a quick count (I did this quickly so my numbers may be off a little). This is what I found.

The earliest issue I found listed was #193.

Issues...........Number in stock........% in stock

0 - 100...................0............................ 0

101 - 200...............1.............................1

201 - 300.............39...........................39

301 - 400.............69...........................69

401 - 500.............48...........................48

501 - 600.............84...........................84

I did not count 601 - 903, but I will assume (a big assumption) that he has all of these and give him the #0 and #1,000,000.

0,601 - 903, &

Total...................546............................60.3%

I then went to MCS and they claim to have 713 out of 905 issues or 78.8% (and their issues start in the single digits).

Granted MCS does include some incomplete comics in that number, but it still seems higher than Chuck's.

I am NOT putting Chuck down. He has built himself an empire of books. Just not sure he is the ONLY place to go to find what you are looking for.

As for Chuck as a person. When I start walking on water, then I will be the judge of that. Until then....

No one is arguing that MileHigh is the only place. In fact, yes, MCS has a vast inventory.

A quick check on Nemo, Classic Library Magazine: Mile High 7 issues, MCS 4 issues.

But that's besides the point. Sure, today, I'd rather order from MCS. First, I don't have to wait for a sale to maybe see a decent price. Second, order completion appears better from MCS. However, at the end of the day, neither will have everything and using both takes us farther if you want to complete a targeted want list.

Pretty sure he doesn't actually know. He is probably assuming 350-400 comics in a long box, when, in fact, the number is much lower if you have any bags and boards, giant size issues, etc. But it's in the millions. If not 10, then maybe 7 or 8 million. A lot.

Every time one of these threads come up, I go looking for books, and remember why I won't spend money with Chuck. The highlight:

Need a Lucifer #1, they don't have it, but Lucifer #2, $57 in NM, 3 is $43, 4 is $50...

The only thing that video does is make me wish the sprinklers would go off.

Every time one of these threads come up, I go looking for books, and remember why I won't spend money with Chuck. The highlight:

Need a Lucifer #1, they don't have it, but Lucifer #2, $57 in NM, 3 is $43, 4 is $50...

The only thing that video does is make me wish the sprinklers would go off.

Oh, do they have sprinklers now? I remember Chuck stating in one of his videos that they were listed as the #1 potential fire hazard in the county, as he refused to install them.

No one is arguing that MileHigh is the only place. In fact, yes, MCS has a vast inventory.

A quick check on Nemo, Classic Library Magazine: Mile High 7 issues, MCS 4 issues.

But that's besides the point. Sure, today, I'd rather order from MCS. First, I don't have to wait for a sale to maybe see a decent price. Second, order completion appears better from MCS. However, at the end of the day, neither will have everything and using both takes us farther if you want to complete a targeted want list.

Agreed. When you're looking for rare or obscure comics you have to consider all sources.

Chuck stated in videos you must pay the mile high price because of the cost of keeping the largest comic book store in the world afloat and help him get more comics ... You would think that turn over inventory at a fair and reasonable price would allow him to upgrade his stock , the prices he charges are simply not fair given market conditions especially on the older books.

Chuck stated in videos you must pay the mile high price because of the cost of keeping the largest comic book store in the world afloat and help him get more comics ... You would think that turn over inventory at a fair and reasonable price would allow him to upgrade his stock , the prices he charges are simply not fair given market conditions especially on the older books.

Let's not make this complicated. Sellers have a business model, they decide how and when and for how much and the consumer supports or doesn't support them. If they're competitive they make a sustainable profit and if they're not they'll eventually run out of money..

I believe his business model is flawed and I believe his original purchase of the Mile High collection has subsidized his empire but he has been in business a long, long time so he's doing something right.