• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

Couldn't tell much.  I'm unfamiliar with the character aside the fact that she lost her Ms. Marvel powers to Rogue and eventually turned into Binary, but the only stories with her I've read are the Binary appearances in X-Men.  The trailer seemed basic and didn't do much to make me interested in her.  That doesn't mean anything about how good the film is or how much I'll like it, but if the job of a trailer is to reel you in, it didn't do that.  I'm still generally looking forward to it and I'm hoping the reviews are good enough to make me want to go.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Couldn't tell much.  I'm unfamiliar with the character aside the fact that she lost her Ms. Marvel powers to Rogue and eventually turned into Binary, but the only stories with her I've read are the Binary appearances in X-Men.  The trailer seemed basic and didn't do much to make me interested in her.  That doesn't mean anything about how good the film is or how much I'll like it, but if the job of a trailer is to reel you in, it didn't do that.  I'm still generally looking forward to it and I'm hoping the reviews are good enough to make me want to go.

My best friend texted me kinda the same reaction. "Other than it looking like an origin story, I don't understand the conflict, and Idk what to think." To be fair, Marvel Studios doesn't share much story-wise in the 6-month out trailer. Mostly a "feel" for the type of film it will be.

Ronan the Accuser and the Skrulls are supposed to be the villains in this one. Despite Ronan being a Kree, as established in Guardians of the Galaxy, he's a fanatic that his species does not support. The Kree Empire is at war with the Skrulls.

The Skrulls I'm far more familiar with from Fantastic Four.  Some super-cool Skrull morphing scene would have definitely reeled me in, but maybe they're just not done with the CGI for that yet.  (shrug)  I've never had much opinion of the Kree, they've always seemed like generic humanoid aliens to me, I've never seen enough from them to like them in any way.  I'm always unimpressed with alien species that are highly humanoid like the Kree...the entire idea of that flies so hard in the face of the reality of evolution.  :eek:

Edited by fantastic_four

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The Skrulls I'm far more familiar with from Fantastic Four.  Some super-cool Skrull morphing scene would have definitely reeled me in, but maybe they're just not done with the CGI for that yet.  (shrug)  I've never had much opinion of the Kree, they've always seemed like generic humanoid aliens to me, I've never seen enough from them to like them in any way.  I'm always unimpressed with alien species that are highly humanoid like the Kree...the entire idea of that flies so hard in the face of the reality of evolution.  :eek:

Aside from being 6 months out and possibly not done with their CGI, I think the Skrulls reveal in-movie will blow more than a few people away. Obviously, us comic readers know what they can do, but to the general public who may only watch the movies it will be a huge reveal. I suspect that they will reveal Ronan in the next trailer and keep away from the Skrulls. I could be wrong, but Marvel does a good job of misdirection in their trailers over the past couple of years. I think Ronan will be a small and quick interaction early-on, possibly him defeating her is what sends her crash-landing back on Earth. I think they'll use that/him as a facade for the true villain/conflict.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Yep, that trailer is f^&*ing $$$$$.

Is it? Oh. I thought it was Captain Marvel.

I tell you, I won't be going to see f^&*ing $$$$$ then based on that. It looks a complete load of Captain Marvel.  

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Is it? Oh. I thought it was Captain Marvel.

I tell you, I won't be going to see f^&*ing $$$$$ then based on that. It looks a complete load of Captain Marvel.  

Do you get your jokes from Michael (the guy that works 2 desks behind me)?

I only ask because he also laughs at himself despite the crickets everywhere else...

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Do you get your jokes from Michael (the guy that works 2 desks behind me)?

I only ask because he also laughs at himself despite the crickets everywhere else...

:sorry:

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:
4 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What a Frk'n emoji. I actually feel bad...

That's just your conscience telling you that you were being a Richard, which you were.  But he makes Richard comments like that to others, too, so it just looked like karma to me.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:
5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:
8 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What a Frk'n emoji. I actually feel bad...

That's just your conscience telling you that you were being a Richard, which you were.  But he makes Richard comments like that to others, too, so it just looked like karma to me

Indeed. God damn the man that tries, successfully or otherwise, to make people laugh. God damn him.

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Some super-cool Skrull morphing scene would have definitely reeled me in

Looks like they decided instead to go with the shock value of having the hero throw a haymaker at a little old lady on a train, so that fans in the know can pat themselves on the back for realizing that must be a Skrull.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14