• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

Looks good but I'd still rather see a Starlin original male Capt Marvel with his *cosmic awareness*.  Hope that doesnt trigger anyone.

Edited by kav

On 12/5/2018 at 2:38 AM, kav said:

Looks good but I'd still rather see a Starlin original male Capt Marvel with his *cosmic awareness*.  Hope that doesnt trigger anyone.

Cosmic awareness and Starlin always trigger me. 

Bump for the new origin of female Capt Marvel trailer. Flashback to fighter jet reminds me of Star Sapphire's jet from Green Lantern movie. Looks like quite a lot of outer space CGI on the helmeted Capt Marvel.

Marvel could expand the Kree-Skrull war plot over 3 interlinked movies including the 2nd (or is that 3rd if you include the Roger Corman low budget 1st film) rebooted FF movie.

Yeah, I'm psyched too, not only because I think Brie Larson is going to be a fine addition to the MCU, but that most of the great humor and action will be in the film rather than the trailers.  I just hope the effects hold up -- so far I'd rate them a 'B'.

Dan

6 minutes ago, drotto said:

Not excited for this movie yet.  CGI looks really cartoony. Plus, Brie Larson seems really miscast.  I am also having a problem getting past her voice.  I do not remember her sounding like this before. 

Did you see 21 Jump Street? She sounds the same to me.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Did you see 21 Jump Street? She sounds the same to me.

I did, but I guess she left no impression on me.  I did see Room, and despite the fact she won an Oscar for that roll, I did not like that film.  I felt it was overrated and perposterus,  and she was dull there also.  I do not get the hype around her.

Just now, drotto said:

I did, but I guess she left no impression on me.  I did see Room, and despite the fact she won an Oscar for that roll, I did not like that film.  I felt it was overrated and perposterus,  and she was dull there also.  I do not get the hype around her.

Don't you understand? It's because she's a her! You gotta be PC!

I'm not 'hyped' because it's Brie Larson. I'm hyped just because it's Marvel Studios. With Jude Law, Samuel L. Jackson, etc as a supporting cast there's much more to this than just the title character's actor/actress. Her taking over as the face of the MCU beginning in Phase 4, her importance to Endgame, etc...

Marvel Studios is moving in a direction to where they're casting more 'unknown' people to play heroes and they're more interested in A-list celebrities portraying villains. I haven't seen much of Brie so that fits the bill here to me.

19 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Don't you understand? It's because she's a her! You gotta be PC!

I'm not 'hyped' because it's Brie Larson. I'm hyped just because it's Marvel Studios. With Jude Law, Samuel L. Jackson, etc as a supporting cast there's much more to this than just the title character's actor/actress. Her taking over as the face of the MCU beginning in Phase 4, her importance to Endgame, etc...

Marvel Studios is moving in a direction to where they're casting more 'unknown' people to play heroes and they're more interested in A-list celebrities portraying villains. I haven't seen much of Brie so that fits the bill here to me.

I will chualk this up to more personal taste than anything else. There have been plenty of actors in the past I do not particularly care for. I feel like Marvel has been fantastic in its casting so far, and I am a big MCU fan. This just feels like a miss to me.  I do not think she falls into the unknown or lesser know catagory, she won an Oscar and when they cast her 2 years ago it was seen a a massive coup, because of that. She is very well known. 

So when they cast some I have not liked in the past, it makes it hard to get excited when that person is now reportedly going to be the new face of a movie franchise I love. For me I have yet to see anything to change my mind.  I will see the movie however.

1 minute ago, drotto said:

I will chualk this up to more personal taste than anything else. There have been plenty of actors in the past I do not particularly care for. I feel like Marvel has been fantastic in its casting so far, and I am a big MCU fan. This just feels like a miss to me.  I do not think she falls into the unknown or lesser know catagory, she won an Oscar and when they cast her 2 years ago it was seen a a massive coup, because of that. She is very well known. 

So when they cast some I have not liked in the past, it makes it hard to get excited when that person is now reportedly going to be the new face of a movie franchise I love. For me I have yet to see anything to change my mind.  I will see the movie however.

You're such an insensitive misogynistic potato.

Spoiler

:jokealert:

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You're such an insensitive misogynistic potato.

Hide contents

:jokealert:

No problem.  My digital sarcasm indicator is not working well today.

Plus, it feels like people are getting really touchy about this movie. ( I like to state the obvious.)

😎

Edited by drotto

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

No problem.  My digital sarcasm indicator is not working well today.

Plus, it feels like people are getting really touchy about this movie. ( I like to state the obvious.)

😎

I completely understand your outlook, FYI. Her character in the trailers hasn't made me feel like she's a very compelling character. Her character isn't turning me off to the movie, though. I think it's intentional, though. I think she's acting stiff for a reason, and I think that at some point in the movie this is going to change immensely (as an underlying important character arc). If I'm wrong, then her character will just be a piece of cardboard that fails to replace Iron Man as the face of the MCU.

Do you plan on seeing this in theaters? Most people probably are, despite the casting, because of how important she'll be to Endgame. So maybe a rhetorical question.