• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Do you plan on seeing this in theaters? Most people probably are, despite the casting, because of how important she'll be to Endgame. So maybe a rhetorical question.

95% chance that I will see this in the theaters.  I have no issue replacing the central character, RDJ can't be the center forever. Just not sure this is the right one, and despite some jumping on the gender thing, it has nothing to do with it.  Iron Man was also more of a case of seizing the mantle, I am not sure it was intended from the start.  Marvel did three origin movies ( and Iron Man 2), and after that it was clear who to build the MCU around.  This time they are telling us, instead of letting a character grow into the role.

On the competitor's side, if the DCEU wants to restructure their entire universe around Wonder Woman (and it looks like they may), I am all for it.  There is the perfect example of casting a somewhat unknown, taking a risk, and getting it 100% right.

15 minutes ago, drotto said:

95% chance that I will see this in the theaters.  I have no issue replacing the central character, RDJ can't be the center forever. Just not sure this is the right one, and despite some jumping on the gender thing, it has nothing to do with it.  Iron Man was also more of a case of seizing the mantle, I am not sure it was intended from the start.  Marvel did three origin movies ( and Iron Man 2), and after that it was clear who to build the MCU around.  This time they are telling us, instead of letting a character grow into the role.

On the competitor's side, if the DCEU wants to restructure their entire universe around Wonder Woman (and it looks like they may), I am all for it.  There is the perfect example of casting a somewhat unknown, taking a risk, and getting it 100% right.

Definitely. They intended on Captain America grabbing the reins. They just didn't account for dongs liking dongs (let's be honest - most people are dongs - including myself).

I'm not on-board with WW leading Worlds of DC. I've always been fond of the 'leadership by group' that the Justice League always had going. The Trinity was the way to go, IMO, and they screwed that up by canning Snyder (part of the reason Affleck is out, and Cavill likely, too).

Edited by TwoPiece
Replaced _____ with "dongs".

Not sure I understand the premise that Marvel is "moving in the direction of casting unknowns."  Other than Robert Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johanssen, they were all relative unknowns:  Evans, Hemsworth, Ruffalo, Renner -- even Hiddleston and of course Tom Holland.  They've sprinkled in plenty of big names in supporting roles (Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo, Natalie Portman) but the heroes carrying the movies didn't tend to be household names.

I think it's always been a mix, but if anything they've moved in the direction of casting bigger names to the lead hero / villain like Cumberbatch, Swinton, Blanchett, and Brolin.  Boseman might not have been a household name superstar before playing Black Panther, but he had already been headlining movies like 42 so I would put him here as well.

34 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Not sure I understand the premise that Marvel is "moving in the direction of casting unknowns."  Other than Robert Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johanssen, they were all relative unknowns:  Evans, Hemsworth, Ruffalo, Renner -- even Hiddleston and of course Tom Holland.  They've sprinkled in plenty of big names in supporting roles (Samuel L. Jackson, Anthony Hopkins, Rene Russo, Natalie Portman) but the heroes carrying the movies didn't tend to be household names.

I think it's always been a mix, but if anything they've moved in the direction of casting bigger names to the lead hero / villain like Cumberbatch, Swinton, Blanchett, and Brolin.  Boseman might not have been a household name superstar before playing Black Panther, but he had already been headlining movies like 42 so I would put him here as well.

Although I agree some of these stars grew their careers by joining on with the MCU, is that right they were unknowns before their hero roles?

Chris Evans: I knew of him beforehand due to Fantastic Four, Push and Scott Pilgrim. Also the smart-aleck character in The Losers.

Chris_Evans01.PNG.2e7490773834fbe9f672207ba437ce41.PNG

Mark Ruffalo: You may not have seen Zodiac where he plays an inspector investigating the killings, but he has one heck of a career even before Hulk. And in Collateral as a police detective he was front and center.

Mark_Ruffalo01.PNG.4cd95943f8d9b7d4ef9a3f0ec92feb95.PNG

Chris Hemsworth: He was already building the beginnings of a Hollywood career even before Thor. Remember he played Kirk's dad in Star Trek and really stood out in only a few minutes of screen time. The Hollywood Reporter was even talking about his fast rise back in 2010, and how studios were taking notice. Disney/MCU moved faster to scoop him up. But one way or another, you had someone on the fast track.

Chris_Hemsworth01.PNG.53d94d9685f2a90162edc5587f329e7f.PNG

Not to detract from the great contributions they have made to the MCU films. Evans and Hemsworth are my favorite casting choices.

Edited by Bosco685
Zodiac included

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I actually see no basis in the idea of them casting unknowns.   They seem to cast B or C list level people especially if they have won a few awards. So the are picking generally acknowledged up and comers, or people that have been around  with solid credentials. Many may not be household names, but are well know in the industry. I already pointed this out with Brie Larson, a B or even C lister, but with an Oscar to her name.

6 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

They're moving in the direction of casting all relatively unknowns for hero roles and all star power for villain roles. The Phase III heroes have been mostly stars.

3 hours ago, drotto said:

I actually see no basis in the idea of them casting unknowns.   They seem to cast B or C list level people especially if they have won a few awards. So the are picking generally acknowledged up and comers, or people that have been around  with solid credentials. Many may not be household names, but are well know in the industry. I already pointed this out with Brie Larson, a B or even C lister, but with an Oscar to her name.

Downy Effect: Big names cost big bucks. 

The B and C listers with proven ability to act and not embarrass the studio with off-screen controversies are where they want to mine their gold. 

On 2/4/2019 at 7:10 PM, drotto said:

95% chance that I will see this in the theaters.  I have no issue replacing the central character, RDJ can't be the center forever.

0% chance of me seeing this in theaters based off the trailers. And I like Larson”s movies, just not her portrayal here. Hope I’m wrong and she crushes it. 

19 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The official Captain Marvel web site is an homage to classic 1990s sites from the embryonic web:

https://www.marvel.com/captainmarvel

And here's another interesting little detail.  Notice anything about this alternate URL for the site?

https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/movies/captain-marvel/

Look at the number of visitors to the throwback website.  13031968.   that's when Marvel Super-Heroes 13 was published:  March 1968.  :whee:

20 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The official Captain Marvel web site is an homage to classic 1990s sites from the embryonic web:

And here's another interesting little detail.  Notice anything about this alternate URL for the site?

Regarding the domain name, it looks like I might have gotten a little over-excited.

https://mcucosmic.com/2019/02/08/the-captain-marvel-website-is-not-teasing-annihilus/

On 2/8/2019 at 6:37 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I was designing websites in 1996, and I remember when animated GIFs first came out!

Wow, what a blast from the past! :headbang:

Looks to me like a fun MCU movie, I bet it does really well. Maybe not Black Panther well, but we will see.
I like the idea of more powerful female characters in the MCU.  If I want nothing but a bunch of sweaty men in tights duking it out all the time, I can watch Championship Wrestling.