• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

:gossip:  Rotten Tomatoes has never had any credibility for its audience scores.

If you're even looking at the "audience scores" there (for any movie) you're doing it wrong.

It was the "want to see" score that RT just changed up.  And FWIW, RT, and critics in general I've stopped paying attention to at all since Roger Ebert passed.

-J.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

:gossip:  Rotten Tomatoes has never had any credibility for its audience scores.

If you're even looking at the "audience scores" there (for any movie) you're doing it wrong.

If you want to have even more conspiracy theory to this, RT is owned by Fandango.  The president of Fandango worked for Disney for about 12 years.

22 minutes ago, drotto said:

If you want to have even more conspiracy theory to this, RT is owned by Fandango.  The president of Fandango worked for Disney for about 12 years.

and Fandango is 30% owned by Warner Brothers and Fandango's corporate chef's grandfather was on the grassy knoll in November 1963

:censored: RT.  They lost all credibility when they held off the RT score until the "reveal".

I rely on a handful of reviewers, the opinions of those on this forum, and personal common sense from seeing the trailer...those 3 factors give me a pretty good idea if I should see a movie or not:idea:.

I'm seeing this movie!!!:sumo:

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

does she read comics?  I don't think any kids read comics anymore... too many forms of entertainment now

She's very young. I've given her issues of My Little Pony, Frozen and other Disney comics, and have read a wide range of comics to her from Spider-Man to Super Sons. She has total recall of the stories and notices details in the art that I would skim over. She also for the most part *gets* what I've read to her. Though, I haven't read her anything about the Kree-Skrull War. She is up on the early Lee-Ditko Spider-Man stories (she's morally outraged by J.J.J.). My son, who is just a bit older, has a small collection of Spider-Man comics (as well as the Human Fly (shrug)). His interest in comics derives from me but, in terms of his interest in Spider-Man, it comes from watching the Homecoming movie and from exposure to cartoons on YouTube. He'll get interested in characters like Anti-Venom or Iron-Spider and will want comics that include them. I would say that he'd prefer to watch stories about these characters on the screen, a TV or on YouTube before reading about them via the comic book medium. 

Video games however are #1 in his life by a long shot. Comics are there, but down on the list. You're right, there's too many competing forms of entertainment.

Sorry, too much off-topic information for this Captain Marvel movie thread. :signofftopic:

13 hours ago, Bird said:

My family and I loved the first season pf Peggy carter. The second season was okay but still good, just not as good as the first.

The biggest problem is competition...there are just too many shows to watch everything. My TiVo is almost full, I want to watch American Gods but it is on Starz, I didn't have time to finish Jessica Jones season 2, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. There are a bunch of regular non-superhero shows I like that I have 10-20 episodes of on TiVo...Superstore, Big Bang Theory, The Middle, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. (That etc is a movie reference but I don;t even remember which one.)

The King and I.

For those wondering the review embargo lifts today...1st review is in from real critic on rt...and it’s negative. Despite the controversy I’m still rooting for a good movie here.

I will feel bad for whoever paid big $$$ for her speculation keys if this is a big flop. This is why I think of you miss out on a book and then it skyrockets before the movie hits that you would be better off waiting until the dust settles before buying. Combined with brie’s Comments recently...this could kill the values on captain marvel keys if the review score is 50 or below.

Edited by jason4

14 minutes ago, jason4 said:

1st review is in from real critic on rt...and it’s negative. Despite the controversy I’m still rooting for a good movie here. I will feel bad for whoever paid big $$$ for her speculation keys if this is a big flop. 

Yup.  audience review are at 54% but I guess they took it off now? 

25 minutes ago, jason4 said:

For those wondering the review embargo lifts today...1st review is in from real critic on rt...and it’s negative.

He comments that feminism gets short shrift.  That's a GOOD thing, and not because I'm anti-feminist, but because the feminism is implicit already and it's far more than enough.  Just the fact that she's a female hero without the "Ms" replacing the "Captain" title from her original incarnation who isn't being explicitly sexualized with her costume like she was in the 1977 version is plenty feminist enough.  That means the feminist trolls have nothing of substance to chew on but their own bias.

IMG_1458-e1506391853864.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

Zaki Hasan is a movie reviewer that comes across as a hardcore comic book fan. He even had entire runs of titles he loves converted over to hardcover collections, which he is quite proud of (Avengers, Superman).

It will be interesting what he has to share about his experience. Though its just one opinion.

Question that calls for conjecture--any guesses as to how they transition Ms. Marvel to her Binary incarnation so quickly?  In the comic, she lost her powers to Rogue and was later transformed to Binary by the Brood.  I never read the original Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel, but I was an X-Men fan so I read the issues where she became Binary.  I can tell from the commercials that she's Binary in those, so I presume her origin is entirely different in the film.

For reference, here are the panels from X-Men #163 where the Brood mutates her into Binary.  Her powers manifest in the next issue.  I remember thinking that splash page from X-Men 163 was awfully racy back in 1983.  :blush:

http://vlcomic.com/read/comic-uncanny-x-men-1963-eng/190

Gi7i5DnJ52a11GtMS1yG5FiNMFHNCFWfmlZggt285BHf_2Vq029iCqkjYPhPnuJgcU_2dsLzQ0SR=s1600 mL72yhXDVjbLcE5of3A5pNE5IYFIqrR3K5C5BpbX7Nh3rEoxTRZqEn2kDmYkm2DHPCztIdaSXFEX=s1600 quVq12k0gWtTTDpj1Y7Q0n6pdf04PnvAJJ3km1zxpP1mYuq_xoCSpJL1BEAXlUUS-7vAUDtJbh7T=s1600 XHD93xfeVvrXIsRAQxZdnlBEmrLF6YeVQHMY5KB6S05BKipyVGXBahpm0PXORjN-_ZPhHaK6rtGn=s1600

Edited by fantastic_four

My wife wondered why I was being negative towards this movie.  I want this movie to be good as I want the New Mutants movie to be good but the trailers of both just have me thinking flop.  Captain Marvel seems to me to be a SHIELD episode which is not all together bad but it doesn't seem to have the vibe to pull off a SHIELD wantabee.  I'll see it this weekend and judge for myself but I don't have much hope of it being in WW or Black Panther range of good.

21 hours ago, RedRaven said:

Marvel exhaustion is but I cant be the only one in that boat.

Me as well but not just Marvel, all superhero stuff doesn't really make me rush to the cinema anymore. I still haven't watched Deadpool 2 or Aquaman.

11 minutes ago, bane said:

Me as well but not just Marvel, all superhero stuff doesn't really make me rush to the cinema anymore. I still haven't watched Deadpool 2 or Aquaman.

The usual pattern is that you go see the characters you like from the comics.  If you didn't like 80s or 90s X-Men, Deadpool wouldn't be your thing.  The highlight of Deadpool 2 for X-Men fans is that it featured the first good on-screen depiction of Juggernaut.

I wasn't much of a Captain Marvel fan and the trailers didn't convert me, so odds are I won't see it if the reviews aren't stellar.  I wasn't an Iron Man fan before the 2008 film or an Avengers fan before the 2012 film, but those two films did convert me.

Edited by fantastic_four

8 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

The usual pattern is that you go see the characters you like from the comics.  If you didn't like 80s or 90s X-Men, Deadpool wouldn't be your thing.  The highlight of Deadpool 2 for X-Men fans is that it featured the first good on-screen depiction of Juggernaut.

I wasn't much of a Captain Marvel fan and the trailers didn't convert me, so odds are I won't see it if the reviews aren't stellar.  I wasn't an Iron Man fan before the 2008 film or an Avengers fan before the 2012 film, but those two films did convert me.

Not true for me, massive Batman fan, not because of the comics but because of the 1989 Keaton movie. After that I got into the comics and became a fan of those.

But I liked anything Sci-Fi, Horror, Superhero & Movie game related, I used to rent the 80s Flash TV show and thought it was awesome!

So never knowing who Blade was I still went to see it.

Never read an X-Men comic but I still went to the cinema to see the first 2.

Being a fan growing up accounts for a percentage but I think if your a fan of the genre you weigh up if the trailer appeals. But with so much of it now on TV and in the cinema its reached a point where I treat it the same way as horror movies now... wait for them to arrive on a streaming platform I pay for.

I only saw Ant-Man & Wasp at the cinema as I was with friends and they wanted to watch it that afternoon, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

18 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

looks like a pass then.  66 on Metacritic - seems about right based on mediocre trailers

Edited by paperheart

Mostly mixed professional reviews from what I've reads.  Trailers never impressed me as a 'have to see' (like when I saw the Godzilla trailer) still, I usually catch these mid-afternoon for a break when I have to work a late shift. So if the opportunity presents itself, I will.  

11 minutes ago, bane said:
Not true for me, massive Batman fan, not because of the comics but because of the 1989 Keaton movie. After that I got into the comics and became a fan of those.

But I liked anything Sci-Fi, Horror, Superhero & Movie game related, I used to rent the 80s Flash TV show and thought it was awesome!

So never knowing who Blade was I still went to see it.

Never read an X-Men comic but I still went to the cinema to see the first 2.

Being a fan growing up accounts for a percentage but I think if your a fan of the genre you weigh up if the trailer appeals. But with so much of it now on TV and in the cinema its reached a point where I treat it the same way as horror movies now... wait for them to arrive on a streaming platform I pay for.

I only saw Ant-Man & Wasp at the cinema as I was with friends and they wanted to watch it that afternoon, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Seeing everything just because it's superhero-related seems exhausting.  Doesn't seem at all unusual you've changed that behavior after a few dozen of them.  I'm biased towards superhero stuff and give it a chance I wouldn't otherwise give a film, but I don't see it all.  Feige shouldn't feel obliged to draw us all into every film any more than Stan Lee felt obliged to draw every reader into every title he created, either.  You like what you like.

I was a Marvel zombie as a kid, but I didn't read it all, just select titles.  That's the usual pattern, I think.  I probably satisfied a lot of the curiosity that started with you after the 1989 Batman during the early 1980s with the comics I read.

15 minutes ago, paperheart said:

looks like a pass then.  66 on Metacritic - seems about right based on mediocre trailers

Are you familiar with Metacritic's scoring?  66 is rather good, and none of the Avengers films ever got above 70 on their scale.  Their best-reviewed superhero film ever is Dark Knight at 84.  Their scoring is different than the Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer, but equivalent to the Rotten Tomatoes average rating that appears in small text below the Tomatometer score.