• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

From the various reviews it sounds like as a 'villain' the Skrulls really went over strongly. That is so cool after all these decades of these characters being in TV and film limbo. I wonder if this can later on lead to the Super Skrull?

super_skrull01.jpg.dd875f51e56bc687a9fc01c8009118ce.jpg

I think the implications of the way Skrulls are portrayed in Captain Marvel could lead to the Super-Skrull introduced in a future MCU film, and not necessarily as a villain.

17 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Question for the people who have seen it--without being specific as to what the Skrulls morph into, do we get much good Skrull morphing CGI?

It's okay, it's what you might have seen in the trailer. It's not like a memorable thing like the T-1000 morphing In Terminator 2 or anything. It's the Skrulls themselves that are cool and Talos was awesome.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

It can also demonstrate how formulaic fan reaction is as well. A number of fans have been posting how this is the greatest MCU yet, and especially due to it being female-led.

Civil War greatest superhero movie ever

Black Panther greatest superhero movie ever

Infinity War greatest superhero movie ever

It really is okay to categorize these as 'solid comic book productions' rather than everything having to be $1B or 'greatest ever'. Unfortunately, with these cross-studio flare-ups from excessive fans their assumption is someone must be the best.

?

I was referring the film's (objective) financial success, not any (subjective) assessments about its quality.

It could easily make $750+ million worldwide and still be trash (like, say...Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Suicide Squad).

I agree that recency bias is stupid, but also think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who believes, for instance, that:

- Civil War is better than Infinity War; or

- Captain Marvel is better than Guardians of the Galaxy, let alone Wonder Woman; or

- Civil War, Black Panther or Infinity War are better than The Dark Knight.

And I also don't believe that "cross-studio flare-ups" or biases exist among the general public -- or even beyond a very small minority on these boards.

Joe Q Public barely knows, let alone cares, whether a comic book movie is produced by DC or Marvel or Fox or Sony.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

I agree that recency bias is stupid, but also think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who believes, for instance, that:

- Civil War is better than Infinity War

I haven't decided which is better between those two yet, but it's close.  I can say I personally prefer Civil War because it was the first true superhero battle royale I had ever seen, and that ending battle between Stark and Cap/Bucky was absolutely epic.

Note that I separate personal preference from overall quality, so even though I like Civil War better I may ultimately decide that Infinity War is a better film.  You seem to be implying that Infinity War is clearly superior to Civil War here...why is that?

42 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

From the various reviews it sounds like as a 'villain' the Skrulls really went over strongly. That is so cool after all these decades of these characters being in TV and film limbo. I wonder if this can later on lead to the Super Skrull?

super_skrull01.jpg.dd875f51e56bc687a9fc01c8009118ce.jpg

Not that it cannot happen but Super Skrull is with Fox and the FF franchise so Marvel doesn't have the rights to use him as it currently stands.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

Not that it cannot happen but Super Skrull is with Fox and the FF franchise so Marvel doesn't have the rights to use him as it currently stands.

Disney bought Fox last year if you haven't been keeping up with the headlines. Once the ink dries (next month?), the MCU will have the movie rights back to X-Men and FF and yes, Super-Skrull.

The plan is to see this with my daughter and wife on Sunday.  Should be a lot of fun!

From everything i've seen she's going to love it.

I was just checking out Metacritic, and it's basically at the same level as Bumblebee.  65 vs 66.  if it's as good as that i'll feel like i got my money's worth.

Edited by Pete Marino

On 3/6/2019 at 6:58 PM, Bird said:

Most movies have a short shelf life these days (an exception seems to be Into the Spiderverse which is still playing around here). I just read a glowing review on forbes, so I don't think CM has too much to worry about. Here is a line from that review many will enjoy Which is to say, those angry boys who didn't want girls in their clubhouse will wind up liking it after all, despite themselves. RT seems to be mostly positive as well, even if it isn't being hailed as an all-time great it is getting positive reviews. I think Shazam has a much greater potential to be a flop, even though I think that it looks pretty groovy. But that could come and go with a whisper as it has a much smaller target audience being a more kid-friendly movie targeting families and young adults while the MU is a steamroller at this point.

but can an Old Angry white dude enjoy the film?  I know speaking engagements by lead actors is important before launching a film, but these studios need to somehow put a clamp down on them using the platform to alienate a sizable chunk of the viewing audience.

Edited by krighton

24 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Disney bought Fox last year if you haven't been keeping up with the headlines. Once the ink dries (next month?), the MCU will have the movie rights back to X-Men and FF and yes, Super-Skrull.

I wonder how much Disney having the FF and X-Men has or will change phase 4.  We know there is going to be no MCU movies (agruably depending on how you feel about Spider Man) for about 1 year and the ones known to be coming back are sqeuls or possibly established characters (Black Widow solo).

We know CM is planned as a big piece going forward, but this movie was planned before the acquisition.  With all the new pieces Disney will have to play with, how much will phase four plans change?

38 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

?

I was referring the film's (objective) financial success, not any (subjective) assessments about its quality.

It could easily make $750+ million worldwide and still be trash (like, say...Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Suicide Squad).

- Civil War is better than Infinity War; or

- Captain Marvel is better than Guardians of the Galaxy, let alone Wonder Woman; or

- Civil War, Black Panther or Infinity War are better than The Dark Knight.

And I also don't believe that "cross-studio flare-ups" or biases exist among the general public -- or even beyond a very small minority on these boards.

Joe Q Public barely knows, let alone cares, whether a comic book movie is produced by DC or Marvel or Fox or Sony.

I agree with you most general audience members wouldn't care. But like we chatted about with Dark Phoenix, there are those that grew up on Fox Phase 1 productions and are now fanatical over X-Jackman films as their source of truth. The same goes for these MCU films where folks don't even have a solid point of reference to the comic books. Yet feel these are the most comic book-accurate portrayals, and anything is not.

Like with Captain Marvel's Talos. In comic books, the reason he is so interesting is due to his inability to shape-shift. In order to be respected by his people which look down on him, he becomes the most vicious Skrull and therefore is named Talos The Untamed. It's part of the character's design why he is so feared. Hopefully, they honored this in Captain Marvel based on the source material. But if not, that will now be the character recognized design and 'honoring the source material'.

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

I wonder how much Disney having the FF and X-Men has or will change phase 4.  We know there is going to be no MCU movies (agruably depending on how you feel about Spider Man) for about 1 year and the ones known to be coming back are sqeuls or possibly established characters (Black Widow solo).

We know CM is planned as a big piece going forward, but this movie was planned before the acquisition.  With all the new pieces Disney will have to play with, how much will phase four plans change?

I think we won't even have a chance of seeing something until post-Endgame. Though now it has come out Iger is already presenting Fox films to shareholders as Disney properties, is there truly a hard barrier?

Best-case, we could end up seeing new characters in the Endgame post-credit scene(s). Now that would be even more exciting. Galactus? Annihilus? Doctor Doom? Super-Skrull?

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think we won't even have a chance of seeing something until post-Endgame. Though now it has come out Iger is already presenting Fox films to shareholders as Disney properties, is there truly a hard barrier?

Best-case, we could end up seeing new characters in the Endgame post-credit scene(s). Now that would be even more exciting. Galactus? Annihilus? Doctor Doom? Super-Skrull?

All they need to do in the Endgame post-credit scene is show the tip of a silver surfboard coming around the moon and seeing Earth. 

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

All they need to do in the Endgame post-credit scene is show the tip of a silver surfboard coming around the moon and seeing Earth. 

I know I would lose my mind. Doug Jones has already pointed out to Disney he would come back in a heartbeat if they want to do Silver Surfer. Even brought it up during a Star Trek: Discovery panel how he based some of Saru on what he learned from Silver Surfer.

The FF 48-50 story arc could be a cool way to bring the FF into the MCU. No need to redo another origin story now - just have them start off with a bang post-Fox acquisition as a team that has always been on Earth and is re-introduced to defeat Galactus.

You can also tie in the Celestials, Eternals and Galactus premise from Earth X here - the head from Knowhere is a Celestial that Galactus decapitated during battle.

Edited by kimik

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I know I would lose my mind. Doug Jones has already pointed out to Disney he would come back in a heartbeat if they want to do Silver Surfer. Even brought it up during a Star Trek: Discovery panel how he based some of Saru on what he learned from Silver Surfer.

So does Disney take 3 even 4 years now to go back to more solo style films, or mini team ups, before we get Avengers version 2? 

This would allow them to introduce new characters and teams similar to phase one.  I am just not sure how patient the MCU will be since the team ups are where the really big money is.

Rotten Tomatoes has their audience score up and this movie has a dismal 34% liked it score.  I guess Rotten Tomatoes didn't purge the bad reviews this movie was getting before the movie was even out?  Watch Rotten Tomatoes tweak this review process some more to appease the big studios.

Edited by rjrjr