• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Not that I am some massive Disney fan that believes in all that it does as 'for the fans' (e.g. taking legal action against schools for painting cartoon characters on their walls), but if it is 'affecting commerce' there are actual laws about this. Though many times it is most probably about labor impacts and outside entities influencing workers.

Affecting Commerce Law and Legal Definition

I just think that if there was some way for Disney to stop this from happening, in the legal venue, their army of lawyers would have already done it.  

7 minutes ago, WeR138 said:

I just think that if there was some way for Disney to stop this from happening, in the legal venue, their army of lawyers would have already done it.  

I thought the same after The Last Jedi and a group clearly coming out claiming the attacks. Though I figured we may not hear of all the details going on behind the scenes.

Could they be from countries where the American legal system has no influence? That could be the problem.

11 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Internet Fraud is an FBI investigatable offense.  

Is it illegal to have multiple accounts and post the same negative review on all of them.  I don't think it is, but I don't know. But lawyers that work for multi-billion dollar corporations know.

Before I get roasted for being a movie review troll, let me state that I would love for this movie to do well, I'm just thinking out loud.

Edited by WeR138

They are outright claiming to be using the internet to commit fraud. They're not doing it directly TO Disney... the nonsense they're up to isn't having an effect on their business. They can 'claim' they ruined Ghostbusters, but really that just wasn't a good idea of a movie int he first place, or that TLJ 'only' making a billion dollars was because of them (and thus it's a victory), but the truth is... Disney doesn't even notice them. Completely insignificant, and ineffectual to Disney.

However, they ARE hurting Rotten Tomatoes reputation through internet manipulation and it could have an effect on their bottom line. I don't even look at their site anymore - they've been compromised and haven't fixed the problem. If enough people do that, or they can show a decline in business due to this, it is very much an actionable offense.

5 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

They are outright claiming to be using the internet to commit fraud. They're not doing it directly TO Disney... the nonsense they're up to isn't having an effect on their business. They can 'claim' they ruined Ghostbusters, but really that just wasn't a good idea of a movie int he first place, or that TLJ 'only' making a billion dollars was because of them (and thus it's a victory), but the truth is... Disney doesn't even notice them. Completely insignificant, and ineffectual to Disney.

However, they ARE hurting Rotten Tomatoes reputation through internet manipulation and it could have an effect on their bottom line. I don't even look at their site anymore - they've been compromised and haven't fixed the problem. If enough people do that, or they can show a decline in business due to this, it is very much an actionable offense.

Is IMDB open to the same thing?

2 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Of course, Sam Jackson is black, and the people I hear complain about 'he plays the same guy in every movie' are generally older white dudes.

As a (slightly) older white dude, I could see that Sam Jackson usually plays the "same guy in every movie'' but I don't think that's a bad thing.

As one review put it about a decade ago, "When you cast Denzel Washington, most often he could be replaced by a white actor - a la Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt - and you wouldn't notice the difference. But when you cast Samuel L. Jackson, you never forget that his character is black."

7 minutes ago, WeR138 said:

Before I get roasted for being a movie review troll, let me state that I would love for this movie to do well, I'm just thinking out loud.

I didn't interpret your questions in any other way than a discussion about the topic. :foryou:

Now if you question if Captain Marvel's green suit is better than the final design...

emotion01.gif

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

As a (slightly) older white dude, I could see that Sam Jackson usually plays the "same guy in every movie'' but I don't think that's a bad thing.

As one review put it about a decade ago, "When you cast Denzel Washington, most often he could be replaced by a white actor - a la Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt - and you wouldn't notice the difference. But when you cast Samuel L. Jackson, you never forget that his character is black."

Sam Jackson made enough of an impression as Fury in The Winter Soldier that I wanted a Fury solo film.

Tom Cruise is pretty much the same in every movie, Denzel has far more range IMO. No one could have topped him in Training Day.

Saw this last night. Thought it was surprisingly good.

I'd put it as an above-average MCU film - better than Thor / The First Avenger / Iron Man 2 / Doctor Strange, but not as good as the better films they've produced. And not in the same league as Wonder Woman.

Really excited that they included Monica Rambeau as well. She's the Captain Marvel I grew up on in Avengers / West Coast Avengers in the 80s.

Just now, bane said:

Tom Cruise is pretty much the same in every movie

I know a lot of people see it this way. But when you look at his performances in War of the Worlds (a deadbeat dad that slowly turns it around), Oblivion (a replicant going through the motions of life) or even Edge of Tomorrow (slacker military officer that through multiple lives becomes a hardened warrior) this felt like different performances, IMHO.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Jeez! What did Thor (2011) do wrong to buck the trend? I love that movie.

Cinemascore_MCU01.thumb.PNG.1263dd865e658e11007fea3a3b935d29.PNG

Thor looked surprisingly low-budget with its Earth scenes. Like, three people in a desert frustrated with a Destroyer... as if someone crossed "The Terminator" with an episode of that '90s TV show "Renegade."

That said,Thor 2 was (by far) the worst MCU film so far. I actually fell asleep in the theater for 20+ minutes and didn't feel like I missed anything. Couldn't tell you who the villain was to this day.

I mean, because I'm a comic geek I vaguely recall its being Malek, but

a) coudn't tell you anything about him and

b) all I remember is the villain being The Nothing from The Neverending Story.

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I know a lot of people see it this way. But when you look at his performances in War of the Worlds (a deadbeat dad that slowly turns it around), Oblivion (a replicant going through the motions of life) or even Edge of Tomorrow (slacker military officer that through multiple lives becomes a hardened warrior) this felt like different performances, IMHO.

it's the performance in collateral that i always think of as being off his usual road.

46 minutes ago, WeR138 said:

Maybe some of the lawyers on the boards could chime in, but other than Disney using their Gazillion dollars to intimidate someone into stopping this sort of activity, I don't believe there was anything illegal done.

I am not a lawyer.  

Ok with that out of the way. To find the RT ratting stuff illegal you would likely need to prove a large number of reviews were coming from one group ( or a very few) or individual, and that group would need to be submitting the majority of the negative reviews.  Essentially, one person can't cast thousands of votes.  Especially, if it was coming from another corporate entity especially one in the industry.

The problem here is if it is coming from 1000's of individuals with no demonstratable connection, expressing their opinion would be protected under their 1st amendment right to free speech. RT provided a open forum, and they used it to express their opinion, which is protected. RT can legally close the forum, however since they are under no obligation to provide it as a price company.

The legal problem stems from is there any way to prove where the reviews a are coming from.

2 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

it's the performance in collateral that i always think of as being off his usual road.

That's a really good point. Collateral is such a great movie, loaded with strong actors. But his performance as Vincent was so un-Cruise like.

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yep.

Many white actors play the same guy in every movie - is anyone really convinced that Tom Cruise isn't the same guy regardless of if he's Jack Reacher or some sci-fi action hero? I'm not convinced Brad Pitt is anyone other than Brad Pitt in every movie I see him in - that's what people want in mainstream movies - a specific person they recognize and can relate to. Is RDJ's Tony Stark really all that different from what RDJ would play anywhere else?

Of course, Sam Jackson is black, and the people I hear complain about 'he plays the same guy in every movie' are generally older white dudes.

I'm a white guy and I can say that Jackson AND Cruise almost always play the 'same' character. Pitt has proven to be more versatile. I'd also put Denzel Washington into the Tom Cruise category for the most part.