• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Thor looked surprisingly low-budget with its Earth scenes. Like, three people in a desert frustrated with a Destroyer... as if someone crossed "The Terminator" with an episode of that '90s TV show "Renegade."

Still, it brought so much of the source spirit to life for me as a 70's and 80's Thor comic book reader. Including the use of The Destroyer.

Even the Stan Lee and Phil Coulson scene was so much fun.

6 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I'm a white guy and I can say that Jackson AND Cruise almost always play the 'same' character. Pitt has proven to be more versatile. I'd also put Denzel Washington into the Tom Cruise category for the most part.

Exactly -- fully 50% of Denzel's roles could have seen him replaced with "generic A-list white guy" (say...Tom Cruise) with no discernable difference.

• Crimson Tide
  • Flight
  • Magnificent Seven
  • 2 Guns
  • The Siege 
  • Fallen
  • Inside Man
  • Safe House

etc.

With Samuel L. Jackson? Not so...

Something I found ironic about Captain Marvel:

Spoiler

The Dumbo trailer beforehand.

As you'll recall, Dumbo believes the feather is the source of his power -- that it gives him the ability to fly.

The climax, however, deals with him having to fly without the feather -- only to learn that he never needed it, that the real power was within him the whole time.

See where I'm going with this?

See also:

Carol Danvers' Kree nicotine patch.

Throughout the film she's led to believe that it's this connection to the Kree (and, more specifically, Yon-Rogg's blood) that gives her fists their power.

Only to ultimately realize that her true power came from inside, and what made her different was not the patch but her human resilience, which she possessed even before the accident.

She then learns the patch was actually an inhibitor -- that her power went far beyond her fists and flowed through her.

Just as with Dumbo's feather, the lesson is the same -- when you're a true superhero you don't need a McGuffin to fly.

Oh, and #GrrlPower

1 hour ago, drotto said:

I am not a lawyer.  

Ok with that out of the way. To find the RT ratting stuff illegal you would likely need to prove a large number of reviews were coming from one group ( or a very few) or individual, and that group would need to be submitting the majority of the negative reviews.  Essentially, one person can't cast thousands of votes.  Especially, if it was coming from another corporate entity especially one in the industry.

The problem here is if it is coming from 1000's of individuals with no demonstratable connection, expressing their opinion would be protected under their 1st amendment right to free speech. RT provided a open forum, and they used it to express their opinion, which is protected. RT can legally close the forum, however since they are under no obligation to provide it as a price company.

The legal problem stems from is there any way to prove where the reviews a are coming from.

They could probably start with "We're the one's who did it!" and go from there.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

If it purposeful disruption of commerce from an American business, I bet Disney lawyers can find motivations to encourage Fed involvement. Especially since the possible attackers made their motivations clear during The Last Jedi attacks.

Alt-Right Group Ruined 'The Last Jedi' Rotten Tomatoes Score Because It Was Too Feminist

I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading that.

3 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry reading that.

Cry. Because someone wasted that much time to attack a studio over how it supposedly portrayed characters. If that is even the true motivation.

I really enjoyed this movie. Captain Marvel did not have the action of your average MCU film but not everything I watch is action based. It may have felt slow at times on account of that, as it was more about character building towards phase 4, but still fun & there's plenty to love about it. It isn't a huge feminine film imho (which I wouldn't have had a problem with, even if it was), there were just a few moments sparsed out through the film. It's about a female superhero, plain & simple. Like every film, there will always be some imperfections but I feel it initiated her character nicely into the MCU for Avengers End Game. I found her humor a kin to Tony Stark's sarcastic demeanor, so I think she will fit in well with Iron Man & Captain America on their way out.

Edited by chezmtghut

5 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

However, they ARE hurting Rotten Tomatoes reputation through internet manipulation and it could have an effect on their bottom line. I don't even look at their site anymore - they've been compromised and haven't fixed the problem. If enough people do that, or they can show a decline in business due to this, it is very much an actionable offense.

Don't let this fool you.  Rotten Tomatoes has always been trash.  It has always used an absurd metric to apply a score for it's movies.  For example, a movie that scored 61% from 100 critics would get a 100% RT score.  But a movie that scored 100% from 99 critics and a 59% from one critic would score 99%.  It makes no sense.

Metacritic has always been my preferred rating system since it actually takes the averages.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Jeez! What did Thor (2011) do wrong to buck the trend? I love that movie.

Cinemascore_MCU01.thumb.PNG.1263dd865e658e11007fea3a3b935d29.PNG

The fact that Iron Man 2, Age of Ultron, and The Dark World scored so high should tell you everything you need to know about Cinescore's.  No actual fan of the movies would tell you "oh yeah, all those movies are on par with Civil War, Winter Soldier, and Infinity War."  They are FAR too lenient giving out grades.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Hide contents

As you'll recall, Dumbo believes the feather is the source of his power -- that it gives him the ability to fly.

The climax, however, deals with him having to fly without the feather -- only to learn that he never needed it, that the real power was within him the whole time.

See also:

Throughout the film she's led to believe that it's this connection to the Kree (and, more specifically, Yon-Rogg's blood) that gives her fists their power.

Only to ultimately realize that her true power came from inside, and what made her different was not the patch but her human resilience, which she possessed even before the accident.

She then learns the patch was actually an inhibitor -- that her power went far beyond her fists and flowed through her.

Just as with Dumbo's feather, the lesson is the same -- when you're a true superhero you don't need a McGuffin to fly.

Oh, and #GrrlPower

Spoiler

"If you're nothing without this suit, then you shouldn't have it." - Tony Stark

7 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yep.

Many white actors play the same guy in every movie - is anyone really convinced that Tom Cruise isn't the same guy regardless of if he's Jack Reacher or some sci-fi action hero? I'm not convinced Brad Pitt is anyone other than Brad Pitt in every movie I see him in - that's what people want in mainstream movies - a specific person they recognize and can relate to. Is RDJ's Tony Stark really all that different from what RDJ would play anywhere else?

Of course, Sam Jackson is black, and the people I hear complain about 'he plays the same guy in every movie' are generally older white dudes.

Has nothing to do with his color, personally i dont think he's that good of an actor....I could watch James Earl Jones/Sidney Poitier and many more black actors in a score of movies.  James Earl Jones has an ability to reflect a sense of inner wisdom and honesty,  plus his iconic voice is a huge bonus.  Samuel L Jackson himself, imo, is just not up to that level of acting ability.  But whatever, like in all other areas it always boils down to race and it never reflects back on a persons actual god given ability.

Edited by krighton
clarification

Saw the movie last night and would give it about a 7/10...pretty funny overall (but a couple one-liners that fell flat), strong central relationships (CM and MR, CM and Yon-Rogg, CM and Nick Fury, etc.), a few excellent acting performances in smaller roles (Talos, Maria Lambeau), and some fun surprises in the form of plot twists and MCU callbacks.  -script was both good (more 'showing' than 'telling' -- I liked how they handled exposition) and mediocre (flat jokes at times, and a few on-the-nose lines from CM herself that felt right out of Movie-Making 101).

Overall, another solid MCU movie -- Larson was 'fine', but the -script held her back IMO. 

Just wanted more Coulson than I got!

Dan

For what it's worth and just as a movie with all the controversy aside.  I just didn't think it was that good of a movie.  That being said I wasn't disappointed with it because it was about as good as I thought it would be.  If Endgame was not coming out next month I probably would not have gone and seen it.  The only reason I did see it was because I'm so excited about Endgame I thought maybe there might be some insight into Endgame.

Rating: Meh

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Reveal hidden contents

See also:

Oh, and #GrrlPower

It's "Q".:roflmao:

I haven't seen the movie yet, I'll probably go in a couple weeks when things slow down.  However I do have one question, is it touched on in this movie as to why Fury didn't page her when Loki and the chitari were invading New York, while nukes were also being sent to New York?  Maybe in an after credit or something?

5 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

I haven't seen the movie yet, I'll probably go in a couple weeks when things slow down.  However I do have one question, is it touched on in this movie as to why Fury didn't page her when Loki and the chitari were invading New York, while nukes were also being sent to New York?  Maybe in an after credit or something?

Good point. Other than the fact that they weren't ready to introduce her in the MCU yet, I guess Fury thought Thor, Hulk, Cap, Iron Man, Black Widow & Hawkeye were sufficient for the threat.(shrug)

‘Captain Marvel’ Zooms To $127M Overseas Through Friday, Eyes $300M Offshore Bow – International Box Office

https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-opening-weekend-china-global-international-box-office-1202571318/

What was Disney thinking? They front loaded nearly $450MM in box office the first weekend; everyone knows you can only exchange front loaded money for 80 cents on the dollar at the Federal Reserve window while back end loaded box office will garner $1.20 for every dollar.  :screwy:

Edited by paperheart

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

The fact that Iron Man 2, Age of Ultron, and The Dark World scored so high should tell you everything you need to know about Cinescore's.  No actual fan of the movies would tell you "oh yeah, all those movies are on par with Civil War, Winter Soldier, and Infinity War."  They are FAR too lenient giving out grades.

I actually take the opposite view on this.

Few people seem to understand that 80%+ of movies receive an A- or higher grade from Cinemascore.

So to me what it really means is that a movie that receives a B+, let alone a B, actually _really_ sucks.

Examples:

B+: Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Suicide Squad, Blade Trinity, Justice League, John Carter

B: BvS, Ghost Rider, Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

B-: Punisher War Zone, The Hulk, Police Academy 6

C+: Batman & Robin, Jonah Hex, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, The Predator, Spawn

C: Saw V, Aliens v Predator: Requiem

C-: Jaws The Revenge