• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

Me, wife and college-age son all really enjoyed this movie this morning.  Saw it with a packed house which was kind of shocking (we normally see early morning showing, and even for the biggest of movies, the theaters are never more than 1/4 full) and the waiting outside the bathroom post-show chatter seemed overwhelmingly positive among the rest of my fellow "we can hold it until we get home" movie-goers.

My favorite reaction, that I must share, came from a woman who walked by me while discussing the movie enthusiastically with her, I assume, boyfriend.  "I really really liked those..um... Squirrels?" she said.  "Skrulls," he whispered to her, looking around to see if anyone heard her.  I honored the bro code and looked away, to give him his dignity. :)

Edited by fmaz

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I actually take the opposite view on this.

Few people seem to understand that 80%+ of movies receive an A- or higher grade from Cinemascore.

So to me what it really means is that a movie that receives a B+, let alone a B, actually _really_ sucks. 

Examples:

B+: Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Suicide Squad, Blade Trinity, Justice League, John Carter

B: BvS, Ghost Rider, Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

B-: Punisher War Zone, The Hulk, Police Academy 6

C+: Batman & Robin, Jonah Hex, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, The Predator, Spawn

C: Saw V, Aliens v Predator: Requiem

C-: Jaws The Revenge

:golfclap:  

horror movies often tend to be outliers for whatever reason, Hereditary (which was on Metacritic's year end list of best movies) got a D+

Edited by paperheart

2 minutes ago, paperheart said:

horror movies often tend to be outliers for whatever reason, i believe Hereditary (which was on Metacritic's year end list of best movies) got a D+

I'll go one further.

I've only been in a movie theater once where the audience literally booed at the end. That movie?

The Ninth Gate (2000) - Starring Johnny Depp and Roman Polanksi's third wife.

Directed by Polanski - who, of course, is no stranger to supernatural devil films, having done Rosemary's Baby 25 years earlier.

The last five minutes were beyond ridiculous. I've never seen an audience actually angry at a film, before or since.

The film's Cinemascore rating?

D-

19 minutes ago, paperheart said:

horror movies often tend to be outliers for whatever reason, Hereditary (which was on Metacritic's year end list of best movies) got a D+

That’s nuts. Hereditary was a great movie. I understand it was polarizing but that’s just a dumb grade. 

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Few people seem to understand that 80%+ of movies receive an A- or higher grade from Cinemascore.

So to me what it really means is that a movie that receives a B+, let alone a B, actually _really_ sucks.

Examples:

B+: Spider-Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Suicide Squad, Blade Trinity, Justice League, John Carter

C+: Batman & Robin, Jonah Hex, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, The Predator, Spawn

Stating 80% of all CinemaScore-gauged movies land an A- or better is a nice statement. Show the statistics that proves this? You would have to pull every movie rated. Good try, though.

Meanwhile, solid films like Stephen King's IT have received B+ results. Are you going to call that movie a 'suck' film?

Stephen_King_It.thumb.PNG.d149ab908e95891e7e41ab9835780a9f.PNG

Sin City, which was considered an amazing visual sensation ended up with a B.

Sin_City.thumb.PNG.62f48d2699db4dc9dede2484c42b44b9.PNG

Interview With the Vampire, which had a massive response from Anne Rice fans once she blessed it ended up with a B+.

Interview_Vampire.thumb.PNG.3b24b0eb94711d460a7138e509584022.PNG

Big Trouble In Little China, which though it has a fanatical following failed at the box office because it opened at the same time as Aliens and was dwarfed by it, end up with a B+. Yet even critics appreciated the movie, and gave it a 6.7/10.0 rating average.

Big_Trouble_China.thumb.PNG.95c8cda67bd5a1d7473913e79ebd1a02.PNG

But maybe you are right.

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Stating 80% of all CinemaScore-gauged movies land an A- or better is a nice statement. Show the statistics that proves this? You would have to pull every movie rated. Good try, though.

Fair.

It was a bit of an exaggeration - but all of those films received the scores I listed.

And I stand by the overall sentiment. It's rare that I've liked a movie w/ a rating below A-.

The actual number?

Nearly a third of films get a rating of A- or higher. (Actual number? 31%.)

Source: https://www.cinemascore.com/press/article/id/16

More importantly, the graph shows a direct link between the box office results of films, which decrease every step of the overall audience grades.

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Fair.

It was a bit of an exaggeration - but all of those films received the scores I listed.

And I stand by the overall sentiment. It's rare that I've liked a movie w/ a rating below A-.

The actual number?

Nearly a third of films get a rating of A- or higher. (Actual number? 31%.)

Source: https://www.cinemascore.com/press/article/id/16

More importantly, the graph shows a direct link between the box office results of films, which decrease every step of the overall audience grades.

From the company working to convince us their score is a strong indicator a film will be successful. What do you think they are going to say and market?

'CinemaScore: Let's be honest, it's based on the initial excitement from the first week release'

No offense, but come on now.

10 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Saw this last night. Thought it was surprisingly good.

I'd put it as an above-average MCU film - better than Thor / The First Avenger / Iron Man 2 / Doctor Strange, but not as good as the better films they've produced. And not in the same league as Wonder Woman.

Really excited that they included Monica Rambeau as well. She's the Captain Marvel I grew up on in Avengers / West Coast Avengers in the 80s.

And she will be an adult in the time of End Game!

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Examples:

The grading system seems very top heavy if most films score a B or higher.  Saying something is graded on a generous curve doesn't change the optics to the general public.  I shouldn't have to know that a B is really an F.  It just seems disingenuous of Cinemascore.

I just saw it and although not thrilling it was an enjoyable movie.  Slow in the middle but smashed the end out of the park.  I didn’t like what the did with the skrulls but I’m a purist when it comes to my bad guys.

30 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I just saw it and although not thrilling it was an enjoyable movie.  Slow in the middle but smashed the end out of the park.  I didn’t like what the did with the skrulls but I’m a purist when it comes to my bad guys.

I have 0 expectations since Captain Mar Vell was never my cup of tea, be it man or woman...all i want is a 'nice diversion' that doesn't put me to sleep like Black Panther did.

54 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I just saw it and although not thrilling it was an enjoyable movie.  Slow in the middle but smashed the end out of the park.  I didn’t like what the did with the skrulls.

I liked some of the slower scenes with flashbacks, humor and 1980s music. Nice plot twist towards the end. Was there a post-credit trailer clip :whee: I was supposed to stay for?

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

No surprise! And very exciting.

Are you telling me that those long forgotten Kree/Skull Wars issues including the once smoking red hot Adams Avengers run is finally going to get their day in the sun again after these long suffering decades buried deep down in the shadows of darkness?  :whee:

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

I liked some of the slower scenes with flashbacks, humor and 1980s music. Nice plot twist towards the end. Was there a post-credit trailer clip :whee: I was supposed to stay for?

You left a MCU movie without staying for the two after credit scenes?