• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

So..... Disney got the massive front loading they were clearly hoping and shooting for.... With the continuing mixed to "meh" audience reviews and it now being common knowledge that nothing other than the end credit scenes need to be seen for Avengers Endgame, what kind of second week percentage drops would be expected with worldwide opening numbers like these?

-J.

2 minutes ago, Oddball said:

No straw man argument here if you take it in context with this thread.

No. No one said 'everyone'.

As for Captain America, I couldn’t tell you why people didn’t complain about his nature.

Because a 'man' is strong on his own. There's no being 'cute' involved in it. 

Maybe because his performance wasn’t bland. At least to me.

Could it be... perceptions?  Because a 'man' is strong on his own. There's no being 'cute' involved in it.

Of course he doesn’t need to go wild to be a strong character just like Charlize never went wild in Mad Max. She was very tough and exhibited a calm, authoritative nature while under duress. 

Charlize isn't a Marvel Superhero.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

So..... Disney got the massive front loading they were clearly hoping and shooting for.... With the continuing mixed to "meh" audience reviews and it now being common knowledge that nothing other than the end credit scenes need to be seen for Avengers Endgame, what kind of second week percentage drops would be expected with worldwide opening numbers like these?

-J.

i.e. It's a HIT!

And jay is wrong again.

Captain Marvel release schedule:

USA 4 March 2019 (Los Angeles) (premiere)
Belgium 6 March 2019  
Colombia 6 March 2019  
Denmark 6 March 2019  
Estonia 6 March 2019  
Finland 6 March 2019  
France 6 March 2019  
Indonesia 6 March 2019  
Italy 6 March 2019  
South Korea 6 March 2019  
Kuwait 6 March 2019  
Morocco 6 March 2019  
Malaysia 6 March 2019  
Netherlands 6 March 2019  
Norway 6 March 2019  
Norway 6 March 2019 (premiere)
Philippines 6 March 2019  
Portugal 6 March 2019  
Serbia 6 March 2019  
Sweden 6 March 2019  
Slovenia 6 March 2019  
Taiwan 6 March 2019  
Argentina 7 March 2019  
Australia 7 March 2019  
Brazil 7 March 2019  
Germany 7 March 2019  
Georgia 7 March 2019  
Greece 7 March 2019  
Hungary 7 March 2019  
Israel 7 March 2019  
Kazakhstan 7 March 2019  
Lebanon 7 March 2019  
Peru 7 March 2019  
Russia 7 March 2019  
Saudi Arabia 7 March 2019  
Singapore 7 March 2019  
Slovakia 7 March 2019  
Ukraine 7 March 2019  
Bangladesh 8 March 2019 (limited)
Canada 8 March 2019  
China 8 March 2019  
Spain 8 March 2019  
UK 8 March 2019  
Hong Kong 8 March 2019  
Ireland 8 March 2019  
India 8 March 2019  
Sri Lanka 8 March 2019  
Lithuania 8 March 2019  
Mexico 8 March 2019  
Nepal 8 March 2019  
Poland 8 March 2019  
Romania 8 March 2019  
Turkey 8 March 2019  
USA 8 March 2019  
Japan 15 March 2019  
Nigeria

15 March 2019

That's definitely a tight shotgroup when it comes to a movie release. Usually there is someone dangling out at the end a month or more down the road.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Captain Marvel release schedule:

USA 4 March 2019 (Los Angeles) (premiere)
Belgium 6 March 2019  
Colombia 6 March 2019  
Denmark 6 March 2019  
Estonia 6 March 2019  
Finland 6 March 2019  
France 6 March 2019  
Indonesia 6 March 2019  
Italy 6 March 2019  
South Korea 6 March 2019  
Kuwait 6 March 2019  
Morocco 6 March 2019  
Malaysia 6 March 2019  
Netherlands 6 March 2019  
Norway 6 March 2019  
Norway 6 March 2019 (premiere)
Philippines 6 March 2019  
Portugal 6 March 2019  
Serbia 6 March 2019  
Sweden 6 March 2019  
Slovenia 6 March 2019  
Taiwan 6 March 2019  
Argentina 7 March 2019  
Australia 7 March 2019  
Brazil 7 March 2019  
Germany 7 March 2019  
Georgia 7 March 2019  
Greece 7 March 2019  
Hungary 7 March 2019  
Israel 7 March 2019  
Kazakhstan 7 March 2019  
Lebanon 7 March 2019  
Peru 7 March 2019  
Russia 7 March 2019  
Saudi Arabia 7 March 2019  
Singapore 7 March 2019  
Slovakia 7 March 2019  
Ukraine 7 March 2019  
Bangladesh 8 March 2019 (limited)
Canada 8 March 2019  
China 8 March 2019  
Spain 8 March 2019  
UK 8 March 2019  
Hong Kong 8 March 2019  
Ireland 8 March 2019  
India 8 March 2019  
Sri Lanka 8 March 2019  
Lithuania 8 March 2019  
Mexico 8 March 2019  
Nepal 8 March 2019  
Poland 8 March 2019  
Romania 8 March 2019  
Turkey 8 March 2019  
USA 8 March 2019  
Japan 15 March 2019  
Nigeria

15 March 2019

That's definitely a tight shotgroup when it comes to a movie release. Usually there is someone dangling out at the end a month or more down the road.

Surely they did this because of the close proximity of release this is to Endgame.

But if "everyone" in the world sees it in week one, how much of an audience is left for week 2 and beyond ?  In other words, what kind of "legs" does a movie with a blow out release schedule like this normally have? 

-J.

17 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

In all seriousness... no one is saying YOU are a sexist or a racist. That's YOU projecting it upon yourself. I'm simply asking questions and making observations and then you throw that political meme into the middle of things.

You think in your mind that all it is - is just a difference in... screen presence. Hey, you're entitled to that. It's all good. I can't TELL you what to think otherwise. What's in your heart and mind is what's there and no one knows but you and whatever personally accepted diety you abide by.

Me? I think most 40+ year old people would like the character better if she had bigger, and more noticeable breasts, smiled more, and had cuter lines.And if she hadn't said that stuff before the movie. I'm entitled to that belief as well. 

You forget that the "old white dude" racist ad hominem was first thrown into this thread by someone who was triggered by merely seeing a different opinion (an opinion which had nothing misogynistic or racist in it).

"old white dude" is a racist and sexist remark. It's openly accepted by most of society, but it's still what it is. It's certainly not a compliment, nor is it race/gender neutral.

I will always object to people opening up with racist ad hominems about "old white dudes" and I responded with a "hint" that that person appeared quite triggered and was needlessly injecting racism and sexism into the discussion.

Now, can we get back to the movies now?

As the weather warms up people see more movies. It's not like Captain Marvel will get pulled from theaters as soon as Endgame comes out.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Marvel has a deal set up specifically to run it longer, so that those who didn't see it, still can. It'll be interesting to see how much they put in Endgame that traces back to Captain Marvel that we don't even realize yet. 

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Surely they did this because of the close proximity of release this is to Endgame.

But if "everyone" in the world sees it in week one, how much of an audience is left for week 2 and beyond ?  In other words, what kind of "legs" does a movie with a blow out release schedule like this normally have? 

-J.

Umm...

1) *Every* studio tries to frontload their films. Not the least of which because the percentage take in weeks 1-2 is far higher than in weeks 3-16.

2) It did >$150 million domestic.

Even if it drops like BvS (which didn't even double its opening weekend domestically by the end of its run), it still hits $300m domestic.

Which is better than:

• Captain America
  • Winter Soldier
  • Thor
  • Thor 2
  • Batman Begins
  • Doctor Strange
  • Man of Steel
  • Every X-Men film

Oh...and Venom.

11 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

No. No one said 'everyone'.

Because a 'man' is strong on his own. There's no being 'cute' involved in it. 

Could it be... perceptions?  Because a 'man' is strong on his own. There's no being 'cute' involved in it.

Charlize isn't a Marvel Superhero.

Those are your answers? If that’s truly your thought process then ok. No judgements here.

And Charlize is not part of the MCU or something so that example is out? I thought I was talking about actors and performances. But I’m not here to argue, I thought Brie was great in The Room and Free Fire and bland in Cap Marvel. For those that loved her performance here that’s great, not trying to take anything away from them. Peace.

4 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...

1) *Every* studio tries to frontload their films. Not the least of which because the percentage take in weeks 1-2 is far higher than in weeks 3-16.

2) It did >$150 million domestic.

Even if it drops like BvS (which didn't even double its opening weekend domestically by the end of its run), it still hits $300m domestic.

Which is better than:

• Captain America
  • Winter Soldier
  • Thor
  • Thor 2
  • Batman Begins
  • Doctor Strange
  • Man of Steel
  • Every X-Men film

Oh...and Venom.

You miss my point. 

This movie opened EVERYWHERE at once.  

Did even BvS do that ?   I don't think so.

BvS took a huge second week drop.  It's pretty much common knowledge now this movie is not must see viewing to see Endgame. 

Would a ~70% Man of Steel second week drop be considered expected (ie, not catastrophic) with a massive worldwide roll out like this?

-J.

27 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

One issue I had with the film is that Captain Marvel just gets too damned powerful. I can totally accept all the alien races, space travel, shape-shifting, and Flerkens in the film, but Captain Marvel's powers were beyond belief.

She has to be that powerful.  She's leading the MCU into phase 4.  That phase is suppose to be galactic power levels.  All her powers will be dwarfed in comparison then.

I really hope Keven F. doesn't go anywhere.  Disney needs to pay him double what anybody else offers.

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

You forget that the "old white dude" racist ad hominem was first thrown into this thread by someone who was triggered by merely seeing a different opinion (an opinion which had nothing misogynistic or racist in it).

"old white dude" is a racist and sexist remark. It's openly accepted by most of society, but it's still what it is. It's certainly not a compliment, nor is it race/gender neutral.

I will always object to people opening up with racist ad hominems about "old white dudes" and I responded with a "hint" that that person appeared quite triggered and was needlessly injecting racism and sexism into the discussion.

Now, can we get back to the movies now?

So angry white dudes get together in HATE to rig RT and ANNOUNCE they’re angry dudes who don’t like women superheroes and this TRIGGERS (in your view) someone to then (and it seems reasonable to me) question if the older white dudes panning the performance of Brie aren’t maybe the same type of older white dudes. But this triggers YOU and you make the assumption that he’s saying ALL older white dudes and so you use a (no no) POLITICAL meme, known for it’s MARGINALIZATION of women and their quest for equality (Ironic in a very bad way) and I guess this triggers ME and I begin asking questions which makes you angry.

But the problem here is ‘old white dude’ is a racist remark. Is that it?

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

So angry white dudes get together in HATE to rig RT and ANNOUNCE they’re angry dudes who don’t like women superheroes and this TRIGGERS (in your view) someone to then (and it seems reasonable to me) question if the older white dudes panning the performance of Brie aren’t maybe the same type of older white dudes. But this triggers YOU and you make the assumption that he’s saying ALL older white dudes and so you use a (no no) POLITICAL meme, known for it’s MARGINALIZATION of women and their quest for equality (Ironic in a very bad way) and I guess this triggers ME and I begin asking questions which makes you angry.

But the problem here is ‘old white dude’ is a racist remark. Is that it?

Sigh.... The post to which I'm referring had nothing to do with RT (which I don't follow or care about).

The post to which I'm referring was posted here, on this forum and stated: " Man some of you guys trying to give your review of Captain Marvel on this page sound like a handful of grumpy 40 year old white dudes. And I bet I’m not far off... "

Had this person said that some folks "on this page" sounded like angry black women or sappy hispanic women, how do you think that would have been taken by other folks here?

And one more thing - don't you think Hemsworth, Evans or RDJ were given lead roles because women thought they were "hotter" than if they were played by Steve Buscemi, John C. Reilly or Luiz Guzman? Were they accepted more because of their looks? Do you really believe that looks DON'T count in males getting superhero roles? Is that sexist?

1 hour ago, Oddball said:
1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree I will never understand why some just cant be happy they are finally seeing their character at the movies.
So they made some changes. Either get over it or don't get see them. Get used to her she isn't going anywhere.

I don’t settle just because my childhood comic book characters are on screen. There isn’t a bigger Batman fan than me and when I saw the first reveal of the DKR style Batsuit I squealed like a little girl. Not really. But I did. And then.. the movie came out. You know the rest. I wanted to throat punch myself. Immediately went home and tried to erase it with a shower and repeated viewings of The Dark Knight. 

I’m pretty sure 98% of us here are not hanging in the woman-haters treehouse and don’t need to get over anything. We just want a great movie with great performances from men and women. 

As long as they don't change anything from 40 years ago right? Either settle or stay home I guess. 
Disney's not in the business to cater to a smaller demographic that keeps getting smaller. If this was Fox
or Sony I would be more worried. 

Nobody is asking you to settle. These movies are made for the general audience not us. You couldn't ask for a better young actress 
to lead Marvel into the next Stage. You want them to create more fans as our hobby sorely needs it.  

So where you one of mass mob that hated Heath Ledger's Joker when it was first released? Everyone hated it. I think that
turned out pretty impressive. 

Give Marvel time they have proven in the past they know exactly what they are doing. 

20 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:
52 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

One issue I had with the film is that Captain Marvel just gets too damned powerful. I can totally accept all the alien races, space travel, shape-shifting, and Flerkens in the film, but Captain Marvel's powers were beyond belief.

She has to be that powerful.  She's leading the MCU into phase 4.  That phase is suppose to be galactic power levels.  All her powers will be dwarfed in comparison then. 

I really hope Keven F. doesn't go anywhere.  Disney needs to pay him double what anybody else offers.

I think he has a point though. Had they just left her as Ms Marvel I would have totally agreed way too powerful,  but because they incorporated Binary into this I am perfectly fine with it. 

Marvel never fully utilized Binary and left her in the X-Men and Cosmic universes to only be used occasionally.

And yes Keven F. is worth is weight in gold.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

:)

GMTA;)

I went to this movie with two other couples, both of the other females are strong role models themselves. I've been to most of the other comic book movies in the past 10 years with these other couples. I don't know if anyone cares, but I've loved almost every comic movie out there even Daredevil;). 

Neither of the other women I was with loved it. We all LOVED Wonder Woman. Our husbands said the same thing.

I personally don't care if Ms Marvel is purple or white or blue, it was not her that bothered me, it was the writing or maybe the directing. I don't usually look at my watch (in this case phone) during comic book movies  This time I did.

I just felt it was jumbled and I was disappointed in that. It was not because of race or gender. 

I was happy to see Colson and I cannot imagine a different Nick Fury anymore.  To me, Samuel Jackson IS Nick Fury.

Hiya Sha! Would my 10-year-old girls like it and be able to follow it?

Your Nick Fury point reminds me -- I would LOVE to see "Battle Scars" adapted as a MCU production -- The "origin" of Samuel Jackson's character. I really enjoyed that comic, except maybe the Serpent Squad would be too cheesy for the movie version.

Someone else had an interesting point about maybe some longtime fans objecting to a B list comic character becoming an A list movie character, but there's other sides to that for the disappointed to consider: all these characters have some level of fanhood (WWBN #32???) and it's kind of cool to see "your" character get their day in the sun. Much as I like Spidey and the X-men, I was more of an Iron Man and Avengers fan growing up, so I might favor MCU movies more than some others. 

Also, some characters go from B to A over time in comics continuity (Punisher and Wolverine) why not from comics to movies for Ms Marvel? 

Someone also made an interesting point that the character herself is somewhat enigmatic, and maybe Larson's performance reflects that. Sounds like it was inline with the character in comics -- enigmatic, with a Hal Jordan-like brashness and confidence. At least, tanks how I remember her from the Avengers, my primary exposure to her. Curious to watch it, and it sounds like her performance is reflective of that theory. IF that's the case, that's as true to the comic character Ms Marvel/Carol as Johannsen playing a Black Widow with subtle sexual energy and Gadot playing a Wonder Woman that is powerful, principled and not particularly sexy although attractive. (A few Adam Hughes cheesecake covers aside, WW never seemed to me to be a character with a sexy edge, unlike Black Widow.)

5 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

As long as they don't change anything from 40 years ago right? Either settle or stay home I guess. 
Disney's not in the business to cater to a smaller demographic that keeps getting smaller. If this was Fox
or Sony I would be more worried. 

Nobody is asking you to settle. These movies are made for the general audience not us. You couldn't ask for a better young actress 
to lead Marvel into the next Stage. You want them to create more fans as our hobby sorely needs it.  

So where you one of mass mob that hated Heath Ledger's Joker when it was first released? Everyone hated it. I think that
turned out pretty impressive. 

Give Marvel time they have proven in the past they know exactly what they are doing. 

Your post implied to me (maybe I misunderstood you) that we should be happy we are getting our comics heroes on screen. I am. When the movie is great. If I like it or dislike it, I’ll come here and share the reasons why. You stated “as long as they don’t change anything from 40 years ago right?” You’re implying (and again, maybe I’m misinterpreting you) that that’s how I think. It’s not. I don’t want my characters from 20/30/40 years ago to appear as they did before on screen today. Some do and that’s perfectly understandable. 

And was I one of the ones that hated Ledgers performance? You must have missed where I wrote, “repeated viewings of The Dark Knight.”  I also didn’t know that everyone hated it. Personally I loved it.  Dark Knight is my favorite comic book movie.