• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Hiya Sha! Would my 10-year-old girls like it and be able to follow it?

Your Nick Fury point reminds me -- I would LOVE to see "Battle Scars" adapted as a MCU production -- The "origin" of Samuel Jackson's character. I really enjoyed that comic, except maybe the Serpent Squad would be too cheesy for the movie version.

Someone else had an interesting point about maybe some longtime fans objecting to a B list comic character becoming an A list movie character, but there's other sides to that for the disappointed to consider: all these characters have some level of fanhood (WWBN #32???) and it's kind of cool to see "your" character get their day in the sun. Much as I like Spidey and the X-men, I was more of an Iron Man and Avengers fan growing up, so I might favor MCU movies more than some others. 

Also, some characters go from B to A over time in comics continuity (Punisher and Wolverine) why not from comics to movies for Ms Marvel? 

Someone also made an interesting point that the character herself is somewhat enigmatic, and maybe Larson's performance reflects that. Sounds like it was inline with the character in comics -- enigmatic, with a Hal Jordan-like brashness and confidence. At least, tanks how I remember her from the Avengers, my primary exposure to her. Curious to watch it, and it sounds like her performance is reflective of that theory. IF that's the case, that's as true to the comic character Ms Marvel/Carol as Johannsen playing a Black Widow with subtle sexual energy and Gadot playing a Wonder Woman that is powerful, principled and not particularly sexy although attractive. (A few Adam Hughes cheesecake covers aside, WW never seemed to me to be a character with a sexy edge, unlike Black Widow.)

Hi Gene,

I think if you gave them some background first they'd enjoy it.

I don't want to spoil it for you and tell you what I found confusing, but there is a lot of changing back and forth between timelines and motives.

Rotten tomatoes being trolled by haters = bad.

People in this thread being stereotyped because they gave the movie a 3 out of 5 (I haven't seen any 1 out of 5 comments) = OK

I read these threads to get a comic fans perspective on these movies. If people won't give their real thoughts for having to deal with the garbage that ensues, then I have no reason to check in.

47 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Sigh.... The post to which I'm referring had nothing to do with RT (which I don't follow or care about).

It doesn't matter if you like it or not, it's a significant event that occured that led to what happened here. 

The post to which I'm referring was posted here, on this forum and stated: " Man some of you guys trying to give your review of Captain Marvel on this page sound like a handful of grumpy 40 year old white dudes. And I bet I’m not far off... "

He said 'some'. Not all. 

Had this person said that some folks "on this page" sounded like angry black women or sappy hispanic women, how do you think that would have been taken by other folks here?

First of all, if angry black women or hispanic women had gotten together and used online technology to disrupt the business practices of an American corporation, and then BRAGGED about it online, it would’ve been branded a TERRORIST act and they would’ve been dealt with immediately.

What exactly would their angle be for protesting the movie or disliking it? Let’s say that they’re mad because she’s not black or hispanic. If that’s what the RT revolt was about and then they came in the forum and repeated that hate or alluded to it and someone said, some of you sound like those angry black women or hispanic women. How is that offensive?

They repeated the actions of certain people and they fit within that category?

Old white dude in and of itself isn’t racist. I’m an old white dude. If I’m NOT spewing racist rhetoric and someone thinks something sounds like ‘an old white dude’, it doesn’t bother me in the least. Why it bothers someone who isn’t racist is beyond me.

And one more thing - don't you think Hemsworth, Evans or RDJ were given lead roles because women thought they were "hotter" than if they were played by Steve Buscemi, John C. Reilly or Luiz Guzman? Were they accepted more because of their looks? Do you really believe that looks DON'T count in males getting superhero roles? Is that sexist?

Yes. They will get film roles LONG into their old age. Is Harrison Ford an attractive enough man to still get huge sums of money for his movie roles? Clint Eastwood? Are they sexy still? Where are the big money 70+ year old female actresses? Hollywood has led us to believe that men age gracefully and are more important as they get older and that younger women are what everyone wants to see.

You don't see the old woman falling in love with the virile young men movies. Certainly not in comparison to the 50+ year men falling in love with the 20-ish year old woman movies. 

Of course, it's old white dudes that run Hollywood so that should make sense I guess. Is that racist of me? Sexist? Or simply an observation of the truth? Have I distorted it to make my point? Or is it the truth?

7 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Man some of you guys trying to give your review of Captain Marvel on this page sound like a handful of grumpy 40 year old white dudes. And I bet I’m not far off. Captain Marvel was awesome. I’ve seen it twice this weekend and it even improved the second time. Normal folks I’ve spoken to have really liked it. My friends and family loved it. I feel CM had more heart than typical MCU films. The found lost friendship between Carol and Maria, the comraderie between Carol and Fury, and the unexpected charm of Talos the  Skrull were all really strong. The Guardians films had heart but in a push button cartoon kind of way. In this film, Carol was a blank slate ( just like in so many of her Marvel Comics stories), so her supporting cast mates were important in drawing out the emotion for the film. Especially her best friend Maria. But we’re not given everything. I liked how the filmmakers didn’t let it ALL come rushing back to Carol. Some reviewers online complained that by the end of the film, Carol was still kind of an enigma to them. I think that was the point. Marvel Studios shouldn’t want to give away all Carol’s secrets in one sitting. In the comics, Carol Danvers had several periods where she “disappeared for a while” and in some cases, couldn’t remember what happened. She doesn’t have a continuous continuity like her other Marvel counterparts. While this may have been a weakness in her comics character, I think the filmmakers of Captain Marvel have embraced that amnesiac legacy of Carol and made it part of her character, a strength so to speak. I think in future films, we’ll get more pieces of who Carol Danvers is. Who was Mar-Vell really? Is there more to Carol’s past than just being a former Air Force pilot? What’s she been doing out in space ( just like the comics!)? I, for one, can’t wait to find out what the MCU has in store for her. In the meantime, bring on Endgame.

You're the most biased poster in this thread, by far. Why would anybody care what you think?

I'm sorry your "investment" won't work out as well as you hoped.

Been hearing this movie is a solid 7 outta 10 movie and the professional reviews seem to back that up. Looking like this movie will come in somewhere top 7 or 8 all time for Marvel movie openings and top 15 for overall critical reception. Solid double by Marvel, they just never seem to fail. They layer their movies well, perfect placement on the release date should be able to go into next week unchallenged by anything. Not sure if this is Billion dollar range but its gotta come close.

Also, Brie's commentary was well thought out to help generate buzz and get both sides of the argument jumping. All press is good press.

The Marvel Money Machine keeps on rolling, CHOO CHOO!

12 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You're the most biased poster in this thread, by far. Why would anybody care what you think?

I'm sorry your "investment" won't work out as well as you hoped.

I see that your cat has a starring role in this movie. :grin:

36 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

You're right.

This movie is no more must-see viewing for Endgame than Captain America: First Avenger was prior to the first Avengers film.

They follow the same template:

- A disconnected origin story

- In a different time period

- Concerning the Tesseract

- That connects directly to the next Avengers movie only in the post-credits stinger.

Oh…and both characters were/are positioned to lead the full team.

And YOU'RE right...

A movie that came out 8 years ago, with a much more famous character, and predated all Avengers movies is just like this de facto "prequel" which has the stink of "ret-con" all over it.  :eyeroll:

Oh, and you were so busy trying to white knight this lame movie that you didn't even answer the actual question.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

It doesn't matter if you like it or not, it's a significant event that occured that led to what happened here. 

He said 'some'. Not all. 

First of all, if angry black women or hispanic women had gotten together and used online technology to disrupt the business practices of an American corporation, and then BRAGGED about it online, it would’ve been branded a TERRORIST act and they would’ve been dealt with immediately.

What exactly would their angle be for protesting the movie or disliking it? Let’s say that they’re mad because she’s not black or hispanic. If that’s what the RT revolt was about and then they came in the forum and repeated that hate or alluded to it and someone said, some of you sound like those angry black women or hispanic women. How is that offensive?

They repeated the actions of certain people and they fit within that category?

Old white dude in and of itself isn’t racist. I’m an old white dude. If I’m NOT spewing racist rhetoric and someone thinks something sounds like ‘an old white dude’, it doesn’t bother me in the least. Why it bothers someone who isn’t racist is beyond me.

Yes. They will get film roles LONG into their old age. Is Harrison Ford an attractive enough man to still get huge sums of money for his movie roles? Clint Eastwood? Are they sexy still? Where are the big money 70+ year old female actresses? Hollywood has led us to believe that men age gracefully and are more important as they get older and that younger women are what everyone wants to see.

You don't see the old woman falling in love with the virile young men movies. Certainly not in comparison to the 50+ year men falling in love with the 20-ish year old woman movies. 

Of course, it's old white dudes that run Hollywood so that should make sense I guess. Is that racist of me? Sexist? Or simply an observation of the truth? Have I distorted it to make my point? Or is it the truth?

There's an old joke that goes something like: As men age, they all start looking like Sean Connery. But as women age, they all start looking like - Sean Connery.

ETA: I guess it depends on the actor, but yeah, men do seem to be portrayed as more "acceptable" on screen into old age than women. And that's not just by other men though. But hopefully the culture is changing more to DECREASE the bias for old men (Hugh Hefner gross!). 

Edited by jcjames

6 minutes ago, jcjames said:

As men age, they all start looking like Sean Connery. But as women age, they all start looking like - Sean Connery.

What you have been witnessing is, in fact, the desperate and pathetic attempts by a select few to squelch, suppress, and/or shout down any and all dissenting opinion when it comes to this unremarkable movie and its miscast, unremarkable lead actress.  

Nothing less, nothing more. 

-J.

OK..Just got home from seeing it..Ive seen all of the Marvel movies (except maybe the Howard the Duck and the Dolph Punisher movie) And I thought it was a great entertaining movie,and not hard to follow the time jumps..

And in ALL seriousness,not trying to stir mess and asking a serious question..For all those that thought and posted that this movie was terrible..

What superhero movies did you consider great ?

Thanks,Jeff

Edited by bikesnbuses

One Youtube reviewer supposedly lost over 5K subscribers because he posted how much he disliked Captain Marvel. But he shares what his expectations were going into the movie, and from that why it was a miss for him.

So he posted a 'WTH' video in response. Especially since people then started posting how mean and ugly he was for posting his dislike of the movie.

Though I am not a fan of these patreon arrangements where these reaction regulars get paid by people to ensure they purchase certain TV shows or films and react to them.

Edited by Bosco685

Part of why I do these tracking visuals is sometimes it doesn't hit you how massive a film is until you chart the results. 3.0X is a massive first weekend.

DC_MCU_BO190310a.thumb.PNG.f586c3a6bc80475288a209425b940a86.PNG

The coming weeks will be interesting how much this retains the momentum.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Oh, and you were so busy trying to white knight this lame movie that you didn't even answer the actual question.  

:roflmao:

There's no need for me to white knight this "lame" film. I enjoyed it, and more than I thought I would.

But my opinion doesn't matter a whit for a film that:

- has an 80% RT; 

- has a 64 on Metacritic; 

- received an A rating on Cinemascore; and

- made $150+ million domestic its opening weekend.

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Part of why I do these tracking visuals is sometimes it doesn't hit you how massive a film is until you chart the results. 3.0X is a massive first weekend.

DC_MCU_BO190310a.thumb.PNG.f586c3a6bc80475288a209425b940a86.PNG

The coming weeks will be interesting how much this retains the momentum.

Sorry, Bosco.

Jay's actually right here.

The 3x worldwide first weekend is incredibly misleading/irrelevant because it basically opened _everywhere_ at once, vs. nearly every other release that was incredibly staggered.

Can't compare apples to watermelons.

7 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sorry, Bosco.

Jay's actually right here.

The 3x worldwide first weekend is incredibly misleading/irrelevant because it basically opened _everywhere_ at once, vs. nearly every other release that was incredibly staggered.

Can't compare apples to watermelons.

I get it about the bulk of the markets opened by now but a few. That was why I posted the IMDb release schedule earlier. I was blown away how Disney was able to line up all the heavy hitters this cleanly.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Captain Marvel release schedule:

USA 4 March 2019 (Los Angeles) (premiere)
Belgium 6 March 2019  
Colombia 6 March 2019  
Denmark 6 March 2019  
Estonia 6 March 2019  
Finland 6 March 2019  
France 6 March 2019  
Indonesia 6 March 2019  
Italy 6 March 2019  
South Korea 6 March 2019  
Kuwait 6 March 2019  
Morocco 6 March 2019  
Malaysia 6 March 2019  
Netherlands 6 March 2019  
Norway 6 March 2019  
Norway 6 March 2019 (premiere)
Philippines 6 March 2019  
Portugal 6 March 2019  
Serbia 6 March 2019  
Sweden 6 March 2019  
Slovenia 6 March 2019  
Taiwan 6 March 2019  
Argentina 7 March 2019  
Australia 7 March 2019  
Brazil 7 March 2019  
Germany 7 March 2019  
Georgia 7 March 2019  
Greece 7 March 2019  
Hungary 7 March 2019  
Israel 7 March 2019  
Kazakhstan 7 March 2019  
Lebanon 7 March 2019  
Peru 7 March 2019  
Russia 7 March 2019  
Saudi Arabia 7 March 2019  
Singapore 7 March 2019  
Slovakia 7 March 2019  
Ukraine 7 March 2019  
Bangladesh 8 March 2019 (limited)
Canada 8 March 2019  
China 8 March 2019  
Spain 8 March 2019  
UK 8 March 2019  
Hong Kong 8 March 2019  
Ireland 8 March 2019  
India 8 March 2019  
Sri Lanka 8 March 2019  
Lithuania 8 March 2019  
Mexico 8 March 2019  
Nepal 8 March 2019  
Poland 8 March 2019  
Romania 8 March 2019  
Turkey 8 March 2019  
USA 8 March 2019  
Japan 15 March 2019  
Nigeria

15 March 2019

That's definitely a tight shotgroup when it comes to a movie release. Usually there is someone dangling out at the end a month or more down the road.

I agree, though. The follow-on weekends are going to be interesting. Especially gauging the momentum/multipliers.

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

What you have been witnessing is, in fact, the desperate and pathetic attempts by a select few to squelch, suppress, and/or shout down any and all dissenting opinion when it comes to this unremarkable movie and its miscast, unremarkable lead actress.  

Nothing less, nothing more. 

-J.

No, what he has been witnessing is a discussion. Nothing less, nothing more. 

People have always had conversations on topics where they’ve disagreed.