• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

I'm going to be on a 16 hour plane ride to Dubai in about 3 weeks and that's when I watch all these superhero movies you guys are talking about.

I watch them because I'm trapped. On a plane

They are all so God Damn awful. Give me Bridge Over The River Kwai or Night Of The Hunter any day. But they never play that or anything of quality on a plane. It's like they want you to jump out of the plane as death is better than having to watch these superhero insufficiently_thoughtful_person movies. 

I can't wrap my head around anyone thinking these movies are of quality. I'm sure many of you are fine decent people and I'm sure some of you are D-bags, just as in any segment of the general population. But if you think these superhero movies are quality cinema, I don't know what to tell ya

Edited by NoMan

29 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I'm going to be on a 16 hour plane ride to Dubai in about 3 weeks and that's when I watch all these superhero movies you guys are talking about.

I watch them because I'm trapped. On a plane

They are all so God Damn awful. Give me Bridge Over The River Kwai or Night Of The Hunter any day. But they never play that or anything of quality on a plane. It's like they want you to jump out of the plane as death is better than having to watch these superhero insufficiently_thoughtful_person movies. 

I can't wrap my head around anyone thinking these movies are of quality. I'm sure many of you are fine decent people and I'm sure some of you are D-bags, just as in any segment of the general population. But if you think these superhero movies are quality cinema, I don't know what to tell ya

Ask them to play 'The Crown' from Netflix. Outstanding! But it's no 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier'. :insane:

Air Emirates has 3,000 channels. I'll make a deal with anyone here willing to exchange cinematic tastes so to speak. I have not seen a single of the newer (last 15 years) men-fighting-men-in-spandex movies, so:

You tell me what MCU or DC of whatever superhero movie to watch on my flight and I will. And in exchange you watch Night Of The Hunter or Citizen Kane or The Magnificent Ambersons or The Whole Shootin' Match and we'll exchange reviews here. It'll be fun!

Edited by NoMan

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Air Emirates has 3,000 channels. I'll make a deal with anyone here willing to exchange cinematic tastes so to speak. I have not seen a single of the newer (last 15 years) men-fighting-men-in-spandex movies, so:

You tell me what MCU or DC of whatever superhero movie to watch on my flight and I will. And in exchange you watch Night Of The Hunter or Citizen Kane or The Magnificent Ambersons and we'll exchange reviews here. It'll be fun!

I’ve seen two of those three and whereas I can’t get those on an airplane, I can’t believe with 3000 channels there isn’t SOMETHING worthy of watching. 

On International Flights over the last year or two (mainly Air China, EVA and... Cathay) I’ve seen ‘The Founder’, ‘Gone Girl’, ‘The Accountant’, ‘The Martian’ and a few Asian movies that really surprised me. And of course, plenty of superhero movies as well. 

Maybe none of them were Criterion Collection worthy (The new website goes live April 8th - be a charter  member NOW for a special deal!), but they weren’t vapid B movies either. 

Surely you can find something!

And my recommendation is to start with Watchmen. 

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

I’ve seen two of those three and whereas I can’t get those on an airplane, I can’t believe with 3000 channels there isn’t SOMETHING worthy of watching. 

On International Flights over the last year or two (mainly Air China, EVA and... Cathay) I’ve seen ‘The Founder’, ‘Gone Girl’, ‘The Accountant’, ‘The Martian’ and a few Asian movies that really surprised me. And of course, plenty of superhero movies as well. 

Maybe none of them were Criterion Collection worthy (The new website goes live April 8th - be a charter  member NOW for a special deal!), but they weren’t vapid B movies either. 

Surely you can find something!

And my recommendation is to start with Watchmen. 

I do find stuff, but man 16 hours is tough. I actually have seen The Watchmen and enjoyed it. Especially the Phillip Glass/Dr. Manhattan sequences. 

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I do find stuff, but man 16 hours is tough. I actually have seen The Watchmen and enjoyed it. Especially the Phillip Glass/Dr. Manhattan sequences. 

Watchmen Director's Cut is definitely high on the list.

V For Vendetta  - comic book/not superhero

Hellboy (2004) - comic book/not superhero

The Crow (1994) - comic book/not superhero

From Hell (2001) - comic book/not superhero

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

X-Men: First Class

Batman Begins

Saw CM earlier today.  I thought it was good, but not great.  Better than Ant-Man but not as good as Dr. Strange, both movies are rewatches for me.  It was a little jumpy at parts and would’ve benefited from better directing.  Brie Larson was fine although scenes where she was running, it looked like she was really slow.  Skrulls were good.  Stan Lee tribute at the beginning was a nice moment.  

My 11-yr old daughter loved it.  It’s a hit already.  

35 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Maybe none of them were Criterion Collection worthy (The new website goes live April 8th - be a charter  member NOW for a special deal!),

https://www.criterionchannel.com/

thank for you this info!

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

You tell me what MCU or DC of whatever superhero movie to watch on my flight and I will. And in exchange you watch Night Of The Hunter or Citizen Kane or The Magnificent Ambersons or The Whole Shootin' Match and we'll exchange reviews here. It'll be fun!

Movie snob.

Though I actually love the black & white bubble world.  Oblivious to all that SJ nonsense and other that's permeated every other aspect of life practically.  Good movies, though I think CK is way overrated, it's just 3 star not 4 imo and not even in my top 20 faves or "best."  Bosco gave you a great list of 3 star or better movies from geek world.  As you already know, stay away from DD and Elektra.

17 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Saw CM earlier today.  I thought it was good, but not great.  Better than Ant-Man but not as good as Dr. Strange, both movies are rewatches for me.  It was a little jumpy at parts and would’ve benefited from better directing.  Brie Larson was fine although scenes where she was running, it looked like she was really slow.  Skrulls were good.  Stan Lee tribute at the beginning was a nice moment.  

My 11-yr old daughter loved it.  It’s a hit already.  

You must be 40ish and whiteish!!!  Your opinion is not welcome here.

1 hour ago, grebal said:

Movie snob.

Though I actually love the black & white bubble world.  Oblivious to all that SJ nonsense and other that's permeated every other aspect of life practically.  Good movies, though I think CK is way overrated, it's just 3 star not 4 imo and not even in my top 20 faves or "best."  Bosco gave you a great list of 3 star or better movies from geek world.  As you already know, stay away from DD and Elektra.

NO way you just said Citizen Kane is over rated. YOU DID NOT JUST SAY THAT. I'm triggered now or whatever the kids call it. Gonna get my gun and sit on my porch and start shooting people!

What's SJ?

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

NO way you just said Citizen Kane is over rated. YOU DID NOT JUST SAY THAT. I'm triggered now or whatever the kids call it. Gonna get my gun and sit on my porch and start shooting people!

What's SJ?

SJ as in Social Justice, short for Social Justice Warrior. It’s a Politcal Buzzword and considered a no no around here. Generally when non-white males point out something they believe is unfair, some white males feel they have to be Social Justice Warriors, because their delicate snowflake feelings get hurt. 

But instead of getting in touch with their feelings, they lash out and call the people who feel the unfairness a Social Justice Warrior and a snowflake, despite the fact that they’re being just as whiny and vocal from the opposite perspective. 

Though it comes off more like a Foreman at a third world sweat shop cracking his whip and shouting, “do you know how much it’s costs to run this place? Shut up and keep quiet!”

And yeah... you’ll get some surprising movie and culture reviews from a new generation of people here... “Yeah, I thought the Beatles were OK, but...”

Perspective. 

7 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

SJ as in Social Justice, short for Social Justice Warrior. It’s a Politcal Buzzword and considered a no no around here. Generally when non-white males point out something they believe is unfair, some white males feel they have to be Social Justice Warriors, because their delicate snowflake feelings get hurt. 

But instead of getting in touch with their feelings, they lash out and call the people who feel the unfairness a Social Justice Warrior and a snowflake, despite the fact that they’re being just as whiny and vocal from the opposite perspective. 

Though it comes off more like a Foreman at a third world sweat shop cracking his whip and shouting, “do you know how much it’s costs to run this place? Shut up and keep quiet!”

And yeah... you’ll get some surprising movie and culture reviews from a new generation of people here... “Yeah, I thought the Beatles were OK, but...”

Perspective. 

The Beatles soundtrack for the William Randolph Hearst version of Citizen Kane is ace.