• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

1000000000% agree about Citizen Kane.  I keep having this argument with people that watch it and say it's boring.  You might as well hate CK for being in black and white and not in IMAX 3D.

This is a case where some education definitely increased the appreciation. So many technical achievements, but the story is also fantastic. The movie stands on its own but when you know how amazing the technical achievements are it is all the more impressive. It is NOT boring but rather has a slow and deliberate pace. I saw the documentary on Netflix about his last but unfinished film and will eventually watch the film that was completed posthumouslyA great moment I saw, maybe in that documentary but maybe somewhere else, is that he wore a prosthetic nose for each role and each nose was different! My wife has agreed to watcgh Touch of Evil with me but we have not yet gotten around to it, I saw it where I was a late teen/early 20s but have not seen it since.

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

The reasons for this films greatness are legion, we just lose perceptive on it because so much of what we watch now is based on his innovation....so much so that it seems commonplace and boring. But the never ending list of innovations he and his crew came up with for that movie alone puts it in a category all its own.

If I was 80 or a filmmaker I'd have given a different opinion.  I completely understand your points, have read about Citizen Kane, and understand its importance in film history.  To a young guy seeing CK and Third Man in 80s, and a couple of times each since my opinion stands (just saw Kane again last week).

Had similar conversation with my millennials about Pulp Fiction, with roles reverse, but didn't defend PF, just explained context.  Not the same thing I know, just an analogy.  

I found the fighting in Winter Soldier to be exceptional, maybe more realistic than of any of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies - it just featured most of my least favorite characters from the movies. And I found the villain to be boring, and Winter Soldier himself to be... inconsequential. In fact, I think I'll take it off the list altogether. 

Thor at #6 should be Ragnarok and #10 should be the first Thor.

As for Iron Man #3, I guess I'm more of a regular movie fan than a 'comic book movie' fan, as I found it hugely watchable. Audiences did too apparently as it's the 5th largest domestic take of all the MCU movies. A tour de force for RDJ, the main focus and spark to start the whole Phase 1 of the MCU. He's light years more entertaining than the comic book Tony Stark ever was. Having Shane Black get to write dialogue for him was priceless.

You also failed to mention the snub of Civil War. I wasn't a fan of Secret Wars - I'm not a fan of Civil War. Maybe if I was 8. 

1. Infinity War

2. Iron Man

3. Guardians of the Galaxy

4. The Avengers

5. Captain Marvel

6. Thor - Ragnarok

7. Doctor Strange

8. Iron Man 3

9. Black Panther

10. Thor

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I found the fighting in Winter Soldier to be exceptional, maybe more realistic than of any of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies - it just featured most of my least favorite characters from the movies. And I found the villain to be boring, and Winter Soldier himself to be... inconsequential. In fact, I think I'll take it off the list altogether. 

As for Iron Man #3, I guess I'm more of a regular movie fan than a 'comic book movie' fan, as I found it hugely watchable. Audiences did too apparently as it's the 5th largest domestic take of all the MCU movies. A tour de force for RDJ, the main focus and spark to start the whole Phase 1 of the MCU. He's light years more entertaining than the comic book Tony Stark ever was. Having Shane Black get to write dialogue for him was priceless.

You also failed to mention the snub of Civil War. I wasn't a fan of Secret Wars - I'm not a fan of Civil War. Maybe if I was 8. 

1. Infinity War

2. Iron Man

4. The Avengers

5. Captain Marvel

6. Thor - Ragnarok

7. Doctor Strange

8. Iron Man 3

9. Black Panther

10. Thor

You like what you like. Personally I rank Winter Soldier as my 2nd favorite movie with Infinity War my favorite.  Really enjoyed Winter Solider! 

1 hour ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I'm probably going regret this but here goes:

setting the SJW, Angry Emasculated White Male Backlash ridiculous conversation aside, (FTR some of you guys are complete trolls, but then that permeates the tone of many of your posts when I glance outside this thread and I just put you on ignore)

As opposed to the whiny, Angry Emasculated White Male ridiculous conversation? Got it.

The guys who have opinion's that match people who spend their free time committing internet sabotage to try and manipulate the scores of a movie.... they're ok.

The people who question that... they're trolls?

That's a puzzling perspective.

Let's just look at what's in the movie, a MCU movie, and judge it purely in that context.

If the above is your standard viewpoint...

In that regard I give it a B, maybe B+, where A Movies are Avengers 1,2,3) Civil War, Winter Soldier, Black Panther, Iron Man 1, Thor 3

B movies are: Iron Man 3, Cap1, Ant Man 1, GOTG 1, Doctor Strange

C Movies: Hulk, Thor 2, Iron Man 2,  GOTG2, Antman 2. Spidey

That puts Captain Marvel in the upper half, middle at worst, and that's pretty good company to keep by all accounts.   There's no question that even a "B" is considered a "failure" by some, as the pressure this film has on both sides of the "debate" speak to a double standard where for whatever reason, it has to perform above all comparable expectations for no rationale reason.

There's a  difference in someone's opinion of the movie and how much money it makes in judging it. The people you DIDN"T call SJW's are working over time to manipulate internet data so that people think the movie SUCKS so that they don't spend money to go see it. The fact that it hasn't worked... is... well I'd like to THINK it had to do with the people who spoke up and didn't allow hate to rule, but really it was probably Marvel Studio's exceptional marketing machine.

Still... who's the villain here?

The chart posted earlier is all you really need to look at the make an objective observation.   It has one of the lowest budgets of all the MCU movies, and has already beat total box office returns for several of them.  It will likely net out within 100 million of Doctor Strange. A solid B in dollar terms.  The Numbers are the numbers. Can't argue with facts. You can, but you're not only look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person if you do, YOU ARE AN insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Without a doubt... regardless of what anyone thinks, it's a hit. It's a big deal. Even if it has a 70% drop next week, it still comes in over 200 million domestically and 600 million worldwide after a week and a half! 

8 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

You like what you like. Personally I rank Winter Soldier as my 2nd favorite movie with Infinity War my favorite.  Really enjoyed Winter Solider! 

The Winter Soldier is still my Top MCU to date. Everything in that movie worked for me. Solid story. Casting. Fantastic soundtrack placement. Even that wrap-up credits animation with a song that just gets you pumped for more.

One of the best ever produced.

26 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

1. Infinity War

2. Iron Man

4. The Avengers

5. Captain Marvel

6. Thor - Ragnarok

7. Doctor Strange

8. Iron Man 3

9. Black Panther

10. Thor

I agree with you on Civil War.

12 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The Winter Soldier is still my Top MCU to date. Everything in that movie worked for me. Solid story. Casting. Fantastic soundtrack placement. Even that wrap-up credits animation with a song that just gets you pumped for more.

Majority of MCU movies have failed with their "Original" soundtracks, Winter Soldier really stands out as having been done by Henry Jackman who also did the excellent X-Men First Class soundtrack.

Thor 2 for all the hate it gets has an excellent original soundtrack by Brian Tyler.

2 minutes ago, bane said:
Majority of MCU movies have failed with their "Original" soundtracks, Winter Soldier really stands out as having been done by Henry Jackman who also did the excellent X-Men First Class soundtrack.

Thor 2 for all the hate it gets has an excellent original soundtrack by Brian Tyler.

I never knew that about Henry Jackman. And I love the soundtrack in X-Men: First Class.

That movie worked for me as well on so many levels.

18 minutes ago, bane said:

That's one area DC just works MCU over, scores. Granted GOTG 1 and 2 were great, but they were just really collections of cool songs. Id consider that more of a traditional sound track than an actual composition score.

Man of Steel and The Batman Trilogy just absolutely murder it on this front. Even BVS was good. Marvel hasn't really been able to get that part down as of yet.

19 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Man of Steel and The Batman Trilogy just absolutely murder it on this front. Even BVS was good. Marvel hasn't really been able to get that part down as of yet.

All those films you mention have two words in common: Hans Zimmer.

I think he's the legit successor to John Williams, but with far more musical orchestral range.

19 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

That's one area DC just works MCU over, scores. Granted GOTG 1 and 2 were great, but they were just really collections of cool songs. Id consider that more of a traditional sound track than an actual composition score.

From the biggest Super Hero Movie to date.

Alan Silvestri - Porch (From "Avengers: Infinity War")

Alan Silvestri - Even for You (From "Avengers: Infinity War)

Alan Silvestri - I Feel You (From "Avengers: Infinity War)

You're welcome!:baiting:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

One hundred percent agree.  Captain America: The Winter Soldier is still my favorite MCU movie hands down.

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

As opposed to the whiny, Angry Emasculated White Male ridiculous conversation? Got it.

The guys who have opinion's that match people who spend their free time committing internet sabotage to try and manipulate the scores of a movie.... they're ok.

The people who question that... they're trolls?

That's a puzzling perspective.

If the above is your standard viewpoint...

There's a  difference in someone's opinion of the movie and how much money it makes in judging it. The people you DIDN"T call SJW's are working over time to manipulate internet data so that people think the movie SUCKS so that they don't spend money to go see it. The fact that it hasn't worked... is... well I'd like to THINK it had to do with the people who spoke up and didn't allow hate to rule, but really it was probably Marvel Studio's exceptional marketing machine.

Still... who's the villain here?

Without a doubt... regardless of what anyone thinks, it's a hit. It's a big deal. Even if it has a 70% drop next week, it still comes in over 200 million domestically and 600 million worldwide after a week and a half! 

uh, Chuck, I think you misinterpreted my post, or I could have worded it better-  my intent was to sidestep the whole SJW vs Old White Dude debate as irrelevant to judging the film on it's own merits, and the merits of it's box office performance. The attempts to sabotage a movie with fake reviews is beyond chicken(thank you for editing what I really said CGC) its was stupid when it happened with Star Wars TLJ as well.  So I rather take your side as to who the true snowflakes in this debate are. I tried to allude to the fact that any movie or person that breaks ground (the BEST example being the last president) has to perform at a higher standard than their peers, is given zero breaks, and has every minute flaw scrutinized and magnified out of proportion.  Black Panther has to be PERFECT to be universally regarded as GOOD and you will still get some redneck cracker grumbling under his breath. The point of the movie, the pivotal moment was to point out to Yon-Rogg that Vers had nothing to prove. Nevertheless, we live in a time of an embarrassment of riches when it comes to comic book moves- but still some are better than others, and CM is better that most.  It didn't have to be PERFECT to be GOOD. That's all.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

13 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

uh, Chuck, I think you misinterpreted my post, or I could have worded it better-  my intent was to sidestep the whole SJW vs Old White Dude debate as irrelevant to judging the film on it's own merits, and the merits of it's box office performance. The attempts to sabotage a movie with fake reviews is beyond chicken.  So I rather take your side as to who the true snowflakes in this debate are.  We live in a time of an embarrassment of riches when it comes to comic book moves- but still some are better than others, and CM is better that most. That's all.

My bad. Yes, I wish it was always that easy...