• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

I just saw this, and not to stir anything up but it struck me as funny.

"A fearless pilot who gets powers from an alien who died and goes to space to train and become one of the most powerful beings in the universe"....Is Captain Marvel just a remake of Green Lantern, only good?

Edited by zhamlau

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

I just saw this, and not to stir anything up but it struck me as funny.

"A fearless pilot who gets powers from an alien who died and goes to space to train and become one of the most powerful beings in the universe"....Is Captain Marvel just a remake of Green Lantern, only good?

Exactly - this was my assessment from last week well before its release. And I stand by it -- change just a few things around and this could have worked as a Green Lantern film.

And fun fact: given so many other similarities, the producer and primary screenwriter went on record last year about how they specifically changed Danvers' origin from the comic to make it less like Green Lantern's. 

7 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I dont like when people say CK is overrated for the simple reason that a lot of its greatness is in how mind blowingly ground breaking it truly was. Those track shots where he dug out the floor to allow that upward perspective, back when most films were just a stationary camera pointed at some random groups of people talking. The part with Kane and his wife slowly sitting further and further apart at breakfast, the conversation becoming more and more stilted and cold over the years. Most films tried to tell the story from straight up dialogue and over the top narrative. Welles decided to actually just SHOW you the world and didnt explain it all to you, but let you figure it out for yourself. The use of shadow, everything in focus, camera movement, this film just rewrote all the rules.

The reasons for this films greatness are legion, we just lose perceptive on it because so much of what we watch now is based on his innovation....so much so that it seems commonplace and boring. But the never ending list of innovations he and his crew came up with for that movie alone puts it in a category all its own.

True story:

I became a fan of this movie when I was about eight years old for the simple fact I thought it was a haunted house movie by the opening shot Xanadu in decay. It was so powerfully made and unique to me it held my interest even as a little kid. The giant shaft of light in library as the reporter tries to dig up Kane's past. I could go on and on. 

Just now, NoMan said:

True story:

I became a fan of this movie when I was about eight years old for the simple fact I thought it was a haunted house movie by the opening shot Xanadu in decay. It was so powerfully made and unique to me it held my interest even as a little kid. The giant shaft of light in library as the reporter tries to dig up Kane's past. I could go on and on. 

The zoom in through the chain link fence is masterful!

This here is an honest question:

I believe you guys that are saying people are trying to purposely bring down CM by posting bad reviews or are trying to mess with the internet or however they are doing it, but my question is why?

Who cares if people like a movie that you don't like. I don't get the time investment it must take to create fake reviews or whatever vs the payoff. Who cares? Where's the payoff?

Edit:

Removed racist term

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, Bird said:

why does anyone troll? Trying to pump themselves up by taking the "other" down. Denigrating the "other" makes some people feel superior. Low self esteem is why they care, basically.

Well dang, I guess the internet says that it's bad to say that. Never knew it as a slur for(?) About (?) germans. Opps. I edited my racist post once I discovered it was racist.

Here is what expert on racism (not sure what makes him an expert) Alan Headbloom says:

A final example is the clearest cut:

• (Really, really bad words removed by the racist Noman)  Meaning = assembled on the spot, temporarily, without proper tools or materials) More acceptably known as jury-rigged, this expression is often misspelled as jerry-rigged.

People of all races and cultures have to make do with the materials and budget they have access to in the circumstances presented. However, the implication here is that (word removed cause it might be bad) people, specifically, are not able to make repairs properly—clearly a racial stereotype. Regarding this expression, (more bad words removed)  above has a long and painful history of prejudice and bigotry in the United States. This epithet is broadly considered unacceptable in social discourse. Verdict: Most definitely racist.

I was very curious about Alan Headbloom so read on if you're really really bored:

About Alan Headbloom

Over 30 years of experience in cross-cultural communication on six continents.

As an applied linguist, I have worked with professionals in the fields of accounting, architecture, auditing, customer service, engineering, finance, management, marketing, medicine, pharmacy, physical therapy, quality assurance, religion, research & development, and sales.

Trained Teacher & Coach

I hold master’s degrees in both Applied Linguistics and Teaching English as a Second Language and a bachelor’s degree in German.

Presenter & Author

I have presented at numerous professional conferences and symposia and co-authored a book on the difficulties of English grammar and pronunciation for Japanese learners.

Projects in the hopper: a smart phone app for improving English pronunciation for non-native speakers and a communication textbook for business professionals calledPolitics, Persuasion, and Politeness in the Workplace.

Talk Show Host

In 2013, we created Feel Like You Belong, a multi-resource web portal and TV show. I interview immigrants and expatriates to learn how one goes about belonging in a new land, new language, and new culture. For non-natives, we dissect American culture, American English slang, and even American humor. Our mission is to help U.S. newcomers fit in and be powerful participants in their jobs and their neighborhoods. We also educate non-immigrants about their new neighbors and co-workers from overseas. Together, weALL belong!

World Traveler

I have lived, worked, and traveled on six continents, including extended stays in Germany, Nigeria, and Brazil. I have studied numerous languages over my life, including German, Spanish, French, Hausa, Swedish, Hmong, Farsi, Japanese, Czech, Portuguese, and Italian. My goal is to begin studying Arabic next.

Practicing what I preach to my students, I try to speak in the local language whenever possible to waiters, taxi drivers, and local citizens; it is always with great enthusiasm—though with varying degrees of accuracy!

Family Man & Distance Runner

My wife Kim Roberts is a video installation artist and professor of video and new media. We live just outside of Grand Rapids, Michigan with our Coton de Tulear named Gladys. Daughter Megan is a physician in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Daughter Katy is a hospital chaplain in Long Beach, California.

I gladly travel great distances to eat exotic foods, speak foreign languages, and learn more about non-U.S. cultures.

In my spare time at home, I enjoy dinner parties, watching movies, volunteer work, pruning my apple trees, looking at dictionaries, and long-distance running. My current goal is to run a long-distance race for each letter of the alphabet.

How to get in touch:

Email Alan (at) Headbloom.com

Headbloom Cross-Cultural Communication
11275 56th Avenue
Allendale, MI 49401-9154 USA

quote_alan_home.jpg

photo_alan_collarshirt.jpgAlan Headbloom 

11275 56th Avenue, Allendale, MI 49401-9154 USA | 616.892.3
Edited by NoMan

35 minutes ago, NoMan said:

This here is an honest question:

I believe you guys that are saying people are trying to purposely bring down CM by posting bad reviews or are trying to mess with the internet or however they are doing it, but my question is why?

Who cares if people like a movie that you don't like. I don't get the time investment it must take to create fake reviews or whatever vs the payoff. Who cares? Where's the payoff?

If they can convince enough people its 'bad', then they can possibly have an impact on the film's revenue (yeah, right), forcing Marvel to 'change their ways' and go back to making movies where the heroes are white and male all of the time. 

Star Wars nutjobs are convinced they cost the studios a billion dollars on TLJ by the bad publicity they spread and protesting or not showing up for the movie. (TFA did 2 billion worldwide - TLJ 1.3 Billion so actually about 700 million).

Statistically its on par with ANY successful sequel - it's almost unheard of for a sequel to do as much or more than the original, and considering TFA was the first Star Wars movie in 10 years, it's not surprising it did so much more than anything after it.

But their small, ineffectual revolt is no match for their over active imaginations or their hatred, so they'll continue to believe it and keep trying until it costs someone with some Federal influence an actual loss of money. Like a website.

The studios just laugh at them.

1 hour ago, Chuck Gower said:

If they can convince enough people its 'bad', then they can possibly have an impact on the film's revenue (yeah, right), forcing Marvel to 'change their ways' and go back to making movies where the heroes are white and male all of the time. 

Star Wars nutjobs are convinced they cost the studios a billion dollars on TLJ by the bad publicity they spread and protesting or not showing up for the movie. (TFA did 2 billion worldwide - TLJ 1.3 Billion so actually about 700 million).

Statistically its on par with ANY successful sequel - it's almost unheard of for a sequel to do as much or more than the original, and considering TFA was the first Star Wars movie in 10 years, it's not surprising it did so much more than anything after it.

But their small, ineffectual revolt is no match for their over active imaginations or their hatred, so they'll continue to believe it and keep trying until it costs someone with some Federal influence an actual loss of money. Like a website.

The studios just laugh at them.

Man you gotta be sad to engage in such activity. Really, really sad. 

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

How many points do I get for hijacking a thread about the Captain Marvel film and turn it into a discussion of Citizen Kane and obscure racist terms! :banana:

If you can carry on with an overview of the best Marx Brothers movies you'll be declared Emperor of the Internet for a day.

Just for one day.

7 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

If you can carry on with an overview of the best Marx Brothers movies you'll be declared Emperor of the Internet for a day.

Just for one day.

There is a big racist term in a The Marx Brothers movie too! I was showing it to children of varying ethnicities when Groucho said something that I hoped they would miss. They didn't! (No I do not recall which movie!)

I thought this movie was ok. A 2.75 out of 5.

There were some neat surprises. But this will be a watch at the theatre and no need to see it again type of flick.

I thought there were some less than interesting messages in the under tones of this movie.

One of my millennial buds said "it will be very annoying if all the heroes that we've been watching for over a decade (that got their arses crushed in IW) just take a back seat while Captain Marvel destroys Thanos with ease."

Take it for what it is.

Meh!

:nyah:

Assuming he has access to the full gauntlet, I think she will make him pretty worried, but that's it. She got her powers from only 1 of the stones and he will have all of them. She will still need the Avengers help.  I think it will be take luck and a team effort to take him down. (Like the outcome is really in doubt anyway.) :) I imagine her power may take him by surprise at first though, and he won't get anywhere near Thor's ax. 

Edited by fett