• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not burying this in spoiler tags since Infinity War came out a year ago--I re-watched Infinity War last week, and he dropped it right behind the vehicle.  I don't know how they found it, they just did.  I doubt one of the heroes found it, but I buy that SHIELD agents found it while looking for Fury and the Avengers got it from them.

I hear you. But would a United Nations organization that had problems with supers in the past (Civil War) just turn over such equipment without doing their own testing and investigation?

I get it with suspension of disbelief we as fans need to just accept things in our beloved comic book movies. It just seemed too easy to me. :foryou:

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not burying this in spoiler tags since Infinity War came out a year ago--I re-watched Infinity War last week, and he dropped it right behind the vehicle.  I don't know how they found it, they just did.  I doubt one of the heroes found it, but I buy that SHIELD agents found it while looking for Fury and the Avengers got it from them.

Spoiler Alert: SHIELD doesn't exist anymore.

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

And incidentally, Carol Danvers HAS training. She's been training for 6 years as a Kree Warrior. Before that, she was a member of the United States Military. 

You're not wrong. I'm not questioning her ability to fight in combat. I'd just like a scope of her powers. They were kinda just shoehorned in and used randomly. Part of my "underwhelming 3rd Act" assessment.

I think Ant-Man and the Wasp was probably a better Avengers-to-Avengers film.

Again, now that I can read these articles I've been holding off from digging into...When Carol lands in that Blockbuster we saw in the first trailer...

Spoiler

So they wanted to use Jim Carrey's The Mask as the stand-up she shoots because the character has a green face. But it turns out they couldn't get the sign-off to use the character in a Disney movie.

Instead, they went with Arnold in True Lies. One of the directors worked in a Blockbuster, and he remembered all the 90's stores in his area constantly keeping that stand-up around.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

What organization does Fury work for as of Infinity War?

I don't think there's a name. He gathered that group at the end of Age of Ultron. "This is SHIELD?" Pietro said. "This is what SHIELD was supposed to be." Responded Cap.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Why? Because they're bringing in a character after midnight who will allegedly tip the scales in the favor of our heroes? Why not? Is the better question. Otherwise it's just another McGuffin in the Phase of McGuffins for McGuffin sake. that would be the epitome of crappy storytelling.

That's how it happened in the comics.

Name me another character aside from Scarlett Witch who does not have transparency regarding their abilities. I'll wait.

All of them. Science Fiction explains all of their powers. None of it is real. Captain Marvel is a Kree trained warrior

Spoiler

who through a freak accident was given this cosmic power. 

like the Hulk. "Oh... it's Gamma Radiation!" LOL. It's the Power Cosmic.

must have an explanation for anyone's powers. Female, male, or android. Especially one being brought in past midnight that will allegedly put antagonists on the winning side of conflict with "the most powerful being in the universe" that has the Infinity Gauntlet and all 6 stones.

What are Adam Warlock's powers?

There can only be so much suspension of belief for an immersive escapism experience.

Science... Fiction.

You're easily the most "vocal" person here regarding her gender. You're creating a strawman to argue against. I'm not making that argument and neither is anyone else from what I can read.

No, you're creating an argument against a female character without applying the same set of rules for male characters. The Vision, the Hulk, Shazam... who can truly explain what any of these characters powers are generated by other than to make some stuff up. Same with her. 

You just don't like it.

55 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

And then when Adam Warlock has to step in and save the day in Infinity Gauntlet because all of earth's superheroes fail... I really never could figure out all of HIS powers or whatever either. He had that soul gem that could suck a soul out of people, but... go toe to toe with a monster possessing the Infinity Gauntlet?

This.

Imagine the film was 90% the same, but about a character named Warlock instead of Captain Marvel.

Like it or not, there are folks (not necessarily on this board, but out there in the world) who are more annoyed that it's about a new *female* character stepping in at the late stage with cosmic powers than a new male one who stepped in during the original storyline.

And yeah - as a teenage collector of the X-Men titles, Batman, ASM and the Avengers, I had _no_ idea who Adam Warlock was prior to Silver Surfer # 50.

He just appeared as a suddenly-major character who was the key to winning the Infinity Gauntlet (aka, my generation's Secret Wars).

Edited by Gatsby77

Happenstance is the HISTORY of Marvel Comics.

The Fantastic Four go into space and are bombarded by Cosmic Radiation. Cosmic Radiation gives you super powers? Apparently so! Though each person gets a different super power! Some might even turn into a monster! The STRONGEST monster on earth by happenstance! Where is his training? We know he was a pilot in the military, but to suddenly be able to beat up huge space monsters?

And by Happenstance, it's a good thing all of these villains didn't start appearing until these heroes did...

The Hulk... complete happenstance. Gamma Radiation gives you super powers to! Not that you can CONTROL though, duh. Oh wait... it also works differently for other people, but we''ll wait a few years to show that and explain that and... wait, what is the science behind it again? How did puny Banner becomes the strongest hero on the planet suddenly? Where's the Hulk's training and battle experience?

You can apply this to anything.

One Punch Man! How is he so powerful? How does he beat everyone with one punch? Why or why won't they explain it all immediately to me? 

Man, I love how people are so fanatical over these productions. Many people pulled together this 'summary' of the entire history of the Marvel Cinematic SHIELD across the movies and TV shows combined.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - S.H.I.E.L.D.

In 2014, through the actions of Captain America, the world became aware of the fact that S.H.I.E.L.D. was infiltrated and largely controlled by the terrorist organization HYDRA. After the battle in which S.H.I.E.L.D.'s primary headquarters, the Triskelion, was heavily damaged, all of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s classified files were dumped on the Internet, and the agency was disavowed by its commanding governments and labeled a terrorist organization. Many S.H.I.E.L.D. officials were taken into custody and subjected to rigorous questioning. However, despite the massive manhunt on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s agents, a few operatives scattered across the world in most secret bases remained loyal to their oath, saving the most necessary paraphernalia for future use. But the team most responsible for the survival of S.H.I.E.L.D. was the team of Agent Phil Coulson, who valiantly led his teammates against the forces of HYDRA led by the traitors John Garrett and Grant Ward, winning the battle in which Garrett's plan ultimately failed. After that battle, Nick Fury appointed Phil Coulson the new director of S.H.I.E.L.D. and tasked him with rebuilding the agency from scratch.

Now working from the shadows and hunted by almost every army in the world, Coulson used his old team as the core of S.H.I.E.L.D. and recruited mercenaries, former agents, and others to help fill the organization's ranks, while simultaneously continuing the fight against HYDRA.

So it would seem Coulson would be very sympathetic to Avengers' actions, and would...

Spoiler

turn over the found pager for Avengers use in figuring out what happened to Nick Fury, and who was he contacting. I'm good now.

It occurred to me this morning how amazing it would be if Disney trolled everyone:

Step one: Have Carol Danvers die while fighting Thanos during Endgame.

Step two: Have the now-adult Monica Rambeau take up the mantle of the new Captain Marvel and leader of the Avengers going into Phase 4.

Step three: Reveal that Brie Larson had only signed a two-film contract and that this was the plan all the way along.

14 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

That's how it happened in the comics.

All of them. Science Fiction explains all of their powers. None of it is real. Captain Marvel is a Kree trained warrior

Reveal hidden contents

who through a freak accident was given this cosmic power. 

like the Hulk. "Oh... it's Gamma Radiation!" LOL. It's the Power Cosmic.

What are Adam Warlock's powers?

Science... Fiction.

No, you're creating an argument against a female character without applying the same set of rules for male characters. The Vision, the Hulk, Shazam... who can truly explain what any of these characters powers are generated by other than to make some stuff up. Same with her. 

You just don't like it.

Lmfao we're talking about the MCU, keyboard warrior. There are pretty clear examples that explain most of all their heroes powers and how they work. Captain Marvel is an exception, which is why it's a middle of the pack film.

Combat training does not equal understand of "cosmic power".

You're the only one arguing about her gender. I'm just looking for equal billing if I'm expected to understand how this character is to tip the scales one way or another. Right now there is no good reason to expect that, which is why I'm hoping that Feige is, again, misleading us.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

Imagine the film was 90% the same, but about a character named Warlock instead of Captain Marvel.

Like it or not, there are folks (not necessarily on this board, but out there in the world) who are more annoyed that it's about a new *female* character stepping in at the late stage with cosmic powers than a new male one who stepped in during the original storyline.

And yeah - as a teenage collector of the X-Men titles, Batman, ASM and the Avengers, I had _no_ idea who Adam Warlock was prior to Silver Surfer # 50.

I DID, but I still wasn't really sure what his powers were all about!

But the whole point of the STORY, is that the heroes of Earth CAN'T beat Thanos and need outside help. THAT is how powerful he's become. Everyone seemed to accept it when it was Captain Marvel the dude or Warlock the dude, but when it's a female...

Spoiler

If they didn't handcuff her for 75% of the movie, maybe we would've got a decent explanation of what her powers are. Again, part of the questionable storytelling that makes this movie more mediocre, and just a pit stop to Avengers: Endgame.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Lmfao we're talking about the MCU, keyboard warrior.

Keyboard warrior? Where does that come from?

There are pretty clear examples that explain most of all their heroes powers and how they work.

Really? How does Spider-man and Black Panther get knocked off a car in the Civil War movies and do a 30 foot roll on concrete and get right back up? How does Thor fight the Vision and not simply tear his head off? How does Tony Stark crash in his armor and sustain no injuries?

Captain Marvel is an exception, which is why it's a middle of the pack film.

Her powers ARE explained as they want us to know now. You just don't like it. 

Combat training does not equal understand of "cosmic power".

Cosmic Power is like Gamma Radiation. It makes you the strongest there is!

You're the only one arguing about her gender.

Apparently not. When you can explain how the Hulk can suddenly battle space monsters and pick up objects 10X his size without ANY TRAINING, and no one questions it...

I'm just looking for equal billing

Ha ha and there it is!

if I'm expected to understand how this character is to tip the scales one way or another. Right now there is no good reason to expect that, which is why I'm hoping that Feige is, again, misleading us.

She has the power cosmic. And some male character doesn't.

Just now, Chuck Gower said:

Keyboard warrior? Where does that come from?

Really? How does Spider-man and Black Panther get knocked off a car in the Civil War movies and do a 30 foot roll on concrete and get right back up? How does Thor fight the Vision and not simply tear his head off? How does Tony Stark crash in his armor and sustain no injuries?

Her powers ARE explained as they want us to know now. You just don't like it. 

Cosmic Power is like Gamma Radiation. It makes you the strongest there is!

Apparently not. When you can explain how the Hulk can suddenly battle space monsters and pick up objects 10X his size without ANY TRAINING, and no one questions it...

Ha ha and there it is!

She has the power cosmic. And some male character doesn't.

Are you implying that I loved Spider-Man's and Black Panther's inclusions to Civil War? I'm not falling for another strawman argument.

Her powers are not explained in the slightest.

Spoiler

What are her powers? At least they explained that Maximoff has mental manipulation and telekinesis. CM can perform a photon blast. That's cute. What else? She can fly despite not trying before and she has an immediate handle on it? As close to 0% as you can fathom is how much information we've received.

She does not have the Power Cosmic. That's not how it works.

It's a valid expectation to be given enough information about a character that is allegedly going to lead the franchise past the Iron Man Era. This was a very questionable "origin" story that doesn't give one much to be invested in. Power for power's sake isn't compelling.

And to think that my main concern was going to be Larson's acting...

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Can we revel in the fact that the de-aging CGI was nearly perfect in this film? Sam Jackson looked perfect other than 1 quick shot.

Yeah, I was looking for these big flaws some people called out in reviews posted online, and didn't see it. One reviewer had noted how offsetting it was, and I never saw those scenes. One even went on about how Coulson was the worst.

(shrug)