• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

This is interesting. I didn't see how the marketing was pushing that International Women's Day support message.

Deadline: Experts Say Female Superhero Pic Will Pass Breakeven In Week’s Time

Disney reports that men turned out at 55% to females’ 45%, and that latter demo could well grow in next weekend’s exits. Disney did tee this off for female audiences with an opening release date on International Women’s Day.

At least with Wonder Woman it was able to connect with that female empowerment message leading to a 52% female audience average, bucking the 60% male trend.

With all the carping all over Brie Larson's message about white males, I wonder if that International Women's Day message got lost in the noise?

I don't think its messaging had to be overt for it to benefit from opening day coinciding with International Women's Day.

And I absolutely believe they intentionally released it on International Women's Day to capitalize on the tie-in.

(I myself hadn't heard about International Women's Day until Tuesday of that week - then was given quite the history lesson about it by a few friends. It's a much bigger in Europe. Here in the U.S. this year it seemed to be mostly a social media thing, with a few major brands choosing to do tie-ins -- including Google with their Google Doodle.

I learned it's a big deal in Russia, Italy, Bulgaria and the other former Soviet satellites in Eastern Europe; here I think it's about on the level of "Secretary's Day," I'm sorry - "Administrative Assistant's Day.")

11 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I learned it's a big deal in Russia, Italy, Bulgaria and the other former Soviet satellites in Eastern Europe; here I think it's about on the level of "Secretary's Day," I'm sorry - "Administrative Assistant's Day.")

Now that I hadn't heard yet. Interesting. 

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now that I hadn't heard yet. Interesting. 

Yeah - it started in Russia in 1917 in honor of women gaining suffrage there. So in was mostly limited to Communist (Russian Empire) countries until the 1960s, with the rise of the feminist movement in the U.S. in Europe.

Okay, technically (per Wikipedia) it first started on March 8 in Germany in 1914 and was dedicated to giving women the right to vote.

In 1914 it was celebrated in London with a womens' suffrage march and demonstration, but it was ithe push in Russia beginning in 1917 that really codified it as a continuing cultural event on Mar. 8 specifically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women's_Day

Interesting to me that women gained the right to vote in Russia in 1917 but not in the U.S. until 1920.

Let's be honest - if her character wasn't teased at the end of Infinity War, and she wasn't billed as a direct cause for success of the heroes in Endgame - this movie would not be this financially successful.

It's a good-not-great addition to the MCU. It's better than only a handful of other Marvel Studios productions.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Let's be honest - if her character wasn't teased at the end of Infinity War, and she wasn't billed as a direct cause for success of the heroes in Endgame - this movie would not be this financially successful.

It's a good-not-great addition to the MCU. It's better than only a handful of other Marvel Studios productions.

That may well be.

But to the general public, everything you wrote above applies equally to Captain America: The First Avenger as well.

I agree with a few film critics who said it was basically a really good Phase 1 film, but released this year rather than in 2011. 

For me it was easily better than Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, the Incredible Hulk, and even Ant-Man -- and given that she's a C-list character, that says a lot.

Equivalent to if a solo Hawkeye movie came out as a spy thriller that did so well it suddenly launched a Jack Ryan / James Bond-style Hawkeye franchise.

I'd be like: Huh?? Hawkeye???

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

For me it was easily better than Thor

Stop right there! In no way was this better than Thor (2011) for anyone that actually read the comics in the 70's and 80's. This had so much of the heart of the source material, and included a fantastic and fitting cast, story and lead-in to bigger events. I can't say how much I love all the characters this film brought to life (Thor, Jane Foster, The Warriors Three, Loki, Odin, Frost Giants, Sif, and even Hawkeye's introduction).

No matter how small the box office, Thor is a fantastic film that is underappreciated. Captain Marvel was an okay film that is a lead-in to a massive wrap-up. There is a difference.

Iron Man had Nick Fury in his 2008 post-credit scene talking about the Avengers Initiative, and that didn't come to fruition until 2012.  Below is the first glimpse of Thanos from the 2012 Avengers post-credits scene that didn't come to fruition for six more years.  Post-credit scenes are often designed to be long-term teasers, so we're likely to see a teaser for the next phase of films.  I'm sure this will shock many of you, so I'll put this in spoiler tags:

Spoiler

"Endgame" will not be the end of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.  :whatthe:  :gossip:

gKPfZrw7TAhcm9H2tsb5e4.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

That Thor coronation scene was so over-the-top fantastic as an early intro displaying how massive Asgard is, along with the all the characters making up the people of this world. And that Odin throne is just massive and gorgeous, like out of the comic books.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Stop right there! In no way was this better than Thor (2011) for anyone that actually read the comics in the 70's and 80's.

Maybe 10% of the audience?

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This had so much of the heart of the source material, and included a fantastic and fitting cast, story and lead-in to bigger events. I can't say how much I love all the characters this film brought to life (Thor, Jane Foster, The Warriors Three, Loki, Odin, Frost Giants, Sif, and even Hawkeye's introduction).

No matter how small the box office, Thor is a fantastic film that is underappreciated. Captain Marvel was an okay film that is a lead-in to a massive wrap-up. There is a difference.

I really, really like the first Thor movie. I still like Captain Marvel better. Some people are just going to feel different, it doesn't make either one necessarily right.

30 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

For me it was easily better than Thor, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, the Incredible Hulk, and even Ant-Man -- and given that she's a C-list character, that says a lot.

Captain Marvel is not better than Thor. No way. I would debate Ant-Man, but simply no way it's better than Thor 1.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Captain Marvel is not better than Thor. No way. I would debate Ant-Man, but simply no way it's better than Thor 1.

It's personal opinion. You can't dictate someone's preference. None of these movies are CK, they're popcorn entertainment. It's like saying tacos are better than quesadillas. 

8 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Maybe 10% of the audience?

I really, really like the first Thor movie. I still like Captain Marvel better. Some people are just going to feel different, it doesn't make either one necessarily right.

I get it about everyone having a personal opinion and expectation. But that first Thor movie locked so many people into the world of Thor, it's why the weak story in Thor 2 still was so successful at the box office.

Such a shame the MCU couldn't come to terms with Kenneth Branagh. It could have avoided those director changeouts, and moved his vision forward working with Feige.

17 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That 'easily better' is what surprised me. For me, Thor helped lay strong groundwork and is a better film because of how it pulled all the details together so cleanly.

I did not get that feeling from Captain Marvel. Though I loved seeing a live Skrulls portrayal (so cool).