• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yep, that`s a good point. More people now have seen this Captain Marvel movie than read the Captain Marvel comic books.

I think this same kind of thought might have had something also to do with the Green Lantern movie failure,because at the time millions of mainstream people thought John Stewart was Green Lantern because of the success of Justice League Unlimited. JLU was watched by millions, not many mainstream people knew Hal Jordan was GL.

That`s why they were disappointed when the Green Lantern movie wasn't about him

Image result for green lantern john stewart

lol

I'm pretty sure that's not why they were disappointed with that movie.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Here's where we disagree.

*Some* of the Asgard scenes are spectacular; the movie as a whole? Not so much.

My main issue with the Thor film (that kills its re-watchability) is the earthbound scenes. That are:

- low-budget (meant what I said with much of it looking like it came out of that '90s C-list TV show Renegade)

- low stakes (who cares if The Destroyer takes out a town?)

- poorly cast (I believe Natalie Portman was miscast, and Kat Dennings' comic relief sidekick schtick was out-of-place)

- even the "Thor adjusts to Earth" comedy was poorly executed

Sure, it was exciting to *finally* see Thor, Odin, Loki, The Warriors Three, etc. on the big screen. But that doesn't mean that it was - in and of itself - a great film.

Ragnarok?

A great film, with _far_ more re-watchability than Thor or Thor 2.

Ditto Iron Man.

You had me until you said Ragnarok. I knew it was going to be bad when I read a review that started out " the funniest Marvel movie to date" :sick:

If it weren't for the wife wanting to see it I would be blissfully ignorant to this day.

I will say this though, Spider-Man: Homecoming made Ragnarok look like Best Picture material.

I enjoyed the movie.  7/10, definitely worthwhile seeing.

As for my opinion of the various WW vs CM comparisons, I think Gadot's portrayal of Wonder Woman was better than Larson's portrayal of Captain Marvel.  However, I enjoyed the Captain Marvel story far more than that of Wonder Woman.

IMO, Ragnarok was the funniest Marvel movie to date.

That sounds like a bad thing, given that it features Thor, Hulk and Surtur with the fate of all of Asgard in the balance, but it _really_ surprised me with how good it was.

Along with the slow realization that Chris Hemsworth is a better comedic actor than a dramatic one. In addition to this, he was brilliant hosting SNL, esp. his skit there that largely contributed to ending Iggy Azalea's career.

45 minutes ago, Loki said:

I enjoyed the movie.  7/10, definitely worthwhile seeing.

As for my opinion of the various WW vs CM comparisons, I think Gadot's portrayal of Wonder Woman was better than Larson's portrayal of Captain Marvel.  However, I enjoyed the Captain Marvel story far more than that of Wonder Woman.

Very fair assessment.

WW was like two movies.  The first half, or maybe 2/3, was amazing.  The big fight against Mars was a mess.

IMO Gal Godot's Wonder Woman was light-years better than Brie Larson's Captain Marvel.  How much of that is the writing, the acting, the directing?  Hard to say but it's definitely a combination of all those things.  As portrayed in the movie, Wonder Woman was a perfect combination of innocence and assertiveness.  She'd never met a man, and never seen the horrors of Steve Trevor's world, but she was not the least bit lacking in confidence when it came to everything from her powers to her sexuality.  Like other alien / godlike characters who "fall in love" with the human race and decide to become protectors of mankind, she found enough to appreciate about human nature in the midst of all the bloodshed.  (In fact, her entire understanding of human nature was based around a mythology in which the God of War is responsible for corrupting the hearts of men and turning them against one another.)

My wife and daughter went absolutely nuts over Wonder Woman, and so did I -- this despite the fact that I'm about as much of a dyed-in-the-wool "Make Mine Marvel" guy as they come.  I didn't even bother seeing Green Lantern, Suicide Squad, Batman v. Superman, or Aquaman.  Those movies (except Aquaman, to be fair) just looked completely dumb to me and I wanted no part of them.  So why was I swept off my feet by Wonder Woman?  Because throughout the movie, every single time Steve or somebody else tells her she can't change the world all by herself, she listens to her conscience instead.  She has the pure, infectious righteousness of a child who finally understands right and wrong but still hasn't given in to the cynicism that tells us we need to find a way to coexist with evil because we can never be rid of it.

In short, Wonder Woman reminded me of my own daughter when she was a little girl -- before she got older and saw what was going on in the world (and in our own country) and started to despair.  I am not ashamed to say I was literally moved to tears by Gal Godot's performance.

If anyone saw anything like that in Brie Larson's performance, I'm glad for you.  But for me there was none of the magic I saw in Wonder Woman.  IMHO the film's creators (again -- writers / directors / actor) tried a little too hard to make her a "been there done that" character, and all that jaded smirking, to me, was a missed opportunity to watch her grow.  As someone else said earlier, the film shows a lot of her growth, but only in flashback montages -- maybe if we got to experience some of that in real time, I would feel differently.

And, only since it seems necessary in this thread, I will add the disclaimer that I liked the movie enough (I gave it 3 out of 5, somewhere in the bottom half of the MCU movie list which still makes it a good movie), I'm happy to see the movie succeed at the box office, and I'm excited for what's next in the MCU.  Having now seen the end credits scene and the new Endgame trailer, I will also say I'm happy to see that it doesn't look like she's going to swoop in out of nowhere to save the Avengers.  The fact that she's arriving before the battle, and forming an alliance and a plan before they go in, is going to ease the minds of a lot of people who might have worried that her presence is going to diminish all these other characters we've invested in.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

4 hours ago, Logan510 said:

lol

I'm pretty sure that's not why they were disappointed with that movie.

That movie was written by a computer I'm sure of it.

31 minutes ago, nearmint said:

It occurred to me today, and correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe she's referred to as Captain Marvel at any point in the film. 

That's a recurring theme with a lot of these movies unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I can't think of another example.  The hero's name is always mentioned, even if only in passing or even if the hero himself/herself rejects the name.

I can’t remember but did they ever say the name Superman in Man of Steel? I know they said it in all the movies after.

56 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I can’t remember but did they ever say the name Superman in Man of Steel? I know they said it in all the movies after.

Good memory. Though the name is used one time.

IMDb Trivia: Clark Kent is only referred to as "Superman" once in the entire film. In the comics, government agents (known classically as "G-Men") would refer to him in code over transmissions as "the S-Man."

(At around one hour and 45 minutes) The name "Superman" is spoken for the only time throughout the entire movie. It is said three times in this instance, though Lois Lane almost says it at one point, before getting interrupted.

6 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I can't think of another example.  The hero's name is always mentioned, even if only in passing or even if the hero himself/herself rejects the name.

I don't think Diana's ever referred to as Wonder Woman in her solo film.

23 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Evidence of a good-not-great movie. Word of mouth spreads fast. All the hardcore fans saw it Week 1.

At this point in the game, anything below spectacular will have low staying power. Captain Marvel just doesn't live up to what I would call "Phase 3 Hype". Started off with Civil War (basically Avengers 2.5). GotG Vol. 2 is the only other film in this Phase that I'd give less than 4.5/5.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Evidence of a good-not-great movie. Word of mouth spreads fast. All the hardcore fans saw it Week 1.

At this point in the game, anything below spectacular will have low staying power. Captain Marvel just doesn't live up to what I would call "Phase 3 Hype". Started off with Civil War (basically Avengers 2.5). GotG Vol. 2 is the only other film in this Phase that I'd give less than 4.5/5.

umm, can you guys read?  Black Panther dropped 82% it's second week. Was that a good not great movie? CM has already beat BP"s entire run by 50%.  It's the 5th place movie on this list in 2 weeks.  Some of you guys with whatever rabid hate-on for CM are just really reaching at this point.