• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

"Oh, fiddle dee dee, I saw it in the window and couldn't resist!"

3b5c69dccdd936332f4c456f6a28917c.jpg.c0b9f1479f0ebc1f5cb6291b7a154bfa.jpg

Theater called-they want their stage curtain back!!  lol 

Went and saw Captain Marvel. Liked it.  A lot.  Ben Mendelsohn is great; one of my favorite actors.  Nice to see him in an MCU flick.
The cat freaked me out, though.  And I like cats.
I felt like it was a great introduction to the MCU post Iron Man/Captain America.

I do think Feige & Co. have quite a challenge to equal the chemistry/tension/attraction between RDR's Iron Man and Chris Evan's Captain America.  That (for me) was the heart and soul of the Avengers.
They will need to develop a character that Brie Larson can play off of, similar to (but hopefully different from) the way Cap played off of Iron Man.  Just my opinion.

When either or both Iron Man and Cap sacrifice themselves for the other in End Game, given their relationship, it will be a tough act to follow.

12 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Went and saw Captain Marvel. Liked it.  A lot.  Ben Mendelsohn is great; one of my favorite actors.  Nice to see him in an MCU flick.
The cat freaked me out, though.  And I like cats.
I felt like it was a great introduction to the MCU post Iron Man/Captain America.

I do think Feige & Co. have quite a challenge to equal the chemistry/tension/attraction between RDR's Iron Man and Chris Evan's Captain America.  That (for me) was the heart and soul of the Avengers.
They will need to develop a character that Brie Larson can play off of, similar to (but hopefully different from) the way Cap played off of Iron Man.  Just my opinion.

When either or both Iron Man and Cap sacrifice themselves for the other in End Game, given their relationship, it will be a tough act to follow.

That`s going to be an interesting dilemma going forward. A lot of people keeps saying RDjR,Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth might be done after EndGame. Maybe not? Maybe they stick around in a more mentor limited appearance role? If anybody can afford them Disney can.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:42 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I agree. I found her humorous and very witty in the interview. I like her more now than ever.

She's extremely likeable in this video - comes across as genuine with a strong sense of humour.

52 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

She's extremely likeable in this video - comes across as genuine with a strong sense of humour.

yeah I went and watched this on youtube after others were slagging her likeability in this thread and citing this interview as an example. (shrug)

If she was 2 bra sizes bigger wearing that same outfit, I'd wager they wouldn't care if she could even speak in complete sentences, assuming they even had the sound on when watching. 

Saw it yesterday.  7 out of 10.

My biggest complaint:

Spoiler

The Skrulls.  They were sufficient during the 1st third of the movie when they were the enemy.  Dark settings and brief glimpses did a lot to gloss over how poor I thought they looked.

The Louisiana portion of the movie and beyond, they just weren't cutting it for me. Television, not blockbuster movie quality special effects.

Thought Brie Larson did fine. I would blame the writing, not her, for some of the weaker moments in the film.

Not a view twice film, but I don't do that very often.

Saw it a 2nd time with my son, and liked it even better. For sure one of my favorites, I'm so happy we're getting more cosmic stories.

Two things:

Spoiler

The Space Stone is still a part of the Tesseract in this, so that means she absorbs power from an INFINITY STONE. It makes sense that she's as powerful as she is now. She trained for 6 years with the power muted - she was ready to be fully powered. But how powerful IS she? Well, when Starlord was able to hold it in his hand, with NO TRAINING, he obliterated the greatest Kree Warrior Ronan in less than a minute.

ALSO:

When the Fluerken scatches Fury and they ask if he's alright, he says, "It's just a scratch" and, I didn't notice this the first time, but Talos says, "No." and then they immediately cut away. No, it's NOT just a scratch? Is this a clue to something bigger for the next movie? 

I enjoyed the movie but fans on social media have found a few theories floating around.

Spoiler

When the Skrulls arrived on Earth, there was 4 of them, 1 died in the car crash, the scientist died at the end and of course there was Talos, so people are saying where is the 4th Skrull? Some are saying the 4th either took over Fury because of his toast comment when talking to Carol in the bar, he said he can't eat bread that's been cut diagonally, but in Avengers Age Of Ultron he is eating bread that's been cut diagonally....so is it just a blooper or down the track will it be revealed that Fury has been replaced by a Skrull...who knows 

I went to the movie yesterday with my family and some couple friends.  The general reception was positive.  Just one friend did not like it.  I thought it was below Marvel's usually high standards.  Definitely in the bottom of the Marvel movies for me, somewhere around Iron Man 3.

First the good.  I had no problems with Brie Larson and thought she made a great Captain Marvel.  I like what they did with the Kree.  I thought the setup for Avengers Endgame was decent.  I liked that Monica Rambeau was introduced in this movie.

Unfortunately, the bad outweighed the good for me.  Captain Marvel's powers are poorly defined.  I left the movie thinking the character is more powerful than Superman.  Of course she will be instrumental in beating Thanos, she is nigh invulnerable.

I think Marvel squandered an opportunity with the Skrulls.  I felt they were as much of a joke as Mandarin was in Iron Man 3.  I hated what they did with the Mandarin and it would have been better NOT to use the character than do what they did with that classic Iron Man villain.  General audiences won't care but as a fan of these characters, these Skrulls were an unwelcome addition to the MCU.  Not only were they played as a joke (did the main Skrull have an Aussie accent?) but they looked ridiculous.  The Skrulls were done with TV quality effects ala something you would have seen on Buffy the Vampire Slayer 15 years ago or Star Trek Next Generation even before that.

Nick Fury was completely out of character through most of this movie.  His reaction to just about every event was unbelievable and the whole time I kept thinking "this is the leader of SHIELD?"  Especially cringe-worthy is his interaction with the cat and how quickly he goes along with the plan to go to space with the Skrull leader.

I also wasn't a fan of the pacing and "retro" style of the movie direction.  At points they were trying to channel a 1970s cop show vibe that felt awkward.  There was too much dead time in certain scenes and the earth locations were ... boring.

I honestly don't think this movie is going to hold up well as the years go by and I expect fan reaction to it will be on par with what we see for Iron Man 3.  Most Marvel movies are re-watchable, but this one, unfortunately, won't be.

I wanted to enjoy this movie.  The male Kree Captain Marvel is one of my favorite Marvel characters and I'm a huge fan of Marvel's galactic heroes.  I grew up reading Carol Danvers as Ms Marvel.  There was so much I should have like here.  Luckily, my dislike of this movie won't ruin my expectations for Avengers Endgame, because I did like the actress and the character.  It is just unfortunate about the story, pacing, and butchering of classic FF villains.

Edited by rjrjr