• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

Ive heard talk of Brie being replaced...those going to see it are probably people having super hero movie withdraw and wanting some clues about End Game...

Can't imagine Captain Marvel being anyones favorite character, so milk toast.....they'd be better off going with the A-Force Captain Marvel...maybe drop in a few of those characters or Miss America as a love interest.

I thought it was a fun movie. My teenager is enraged that they changed out the original Captain Marvel back story and made the Skrulls neutral/good. I actually think it makes more sense the way they have it in the movie because simply merging kree/human DNA wouldn't seem to create god-like power, so they need something "more"...   I didn't really "get" the attempts at "young girl overcoming...." because it wasn't part of the plot otherwise. It's not like the Kree treated her badly because she was a woman, etc.

7 hours ago, bane said:

This I never understood about Iron Man, if he dropped 20,000 feet his internal organs would be squished regardless of the armor.

All the booze keeps his internal organs fresh. It's how Nick exists.

Saw it with the family this weekend. We all liked it. I wasn’t blown away, being a little fatigued with the superhero superaction superCGI genre at the moment. I feel the need to watch a movie showing real people doing real things. So this week I’m thinking about putting The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on deck for family movie night.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Can we agree that the stupid disk flaccid-keeper that was stolen from Ragnarok did not help this movie, or her character, one bit..?

It was completely meaningless. Why would the Kree even reign her powers in? If she bought into their ideals, why would they neuter her?

It doesn't make any sense. She wasn't even controlling herself. Someone else was keeping her "weak". Hence the lack of character arc. She didn't overcome or adapt to her powers. It was trash.

Disagree. Reign in her powers in case she breaks with the kree. The Kree want to use her powers as limited, maybe waiting until they need them all (you never know when a Thanos invasion is around the corner). They don't want someone who may take out a whole fleet in 5 minutes.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

Disagree. Reign in her powers in case she breaks with the kree. The Kree want to use her powers as limited, maybe waiting until they need them all (you never know when a Thanos invasion is around the corner). They don't want someone who may take out a whole fleet in 5 minutes.

It was a horrible plot device. They could've "won" the war they were already fighting otherwise. She had already bought into their propaganda. The movie gave me no reason to think she had any interest or suspicion against the Kree. Awful, awful plot device. Then again - so is she...

4 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Peter Quill: Can hold an Infinity Stone in his hand, because... well he's half alien! Ok... 

Captain Marvel: Absorbed the power of an Infinity Stone and it gave her Cosmic Power. NO WAY!!!

Half celestial...basically half god

But the infinity stone was in the lab, not the jet that blew up. that's what's a bit confusing to me. With that said, is that the key to endgame? Thanos doesn't really have "all of the stones," some aspect of the stone is part of her?

Also, WTF has she been doing for 20 years? If she has been a cosmic do-gooder, why hasn't she done battle with Thanos and Ronan in the interim?

Edited by the blob

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

But the infinity stone was in the lab, not the jet that blew up. that's what's a bit confusing to me.

How would it power the jet if it were in the lab?

8 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

It was a horrible plot device. They could've "won" the war they were already fighting otherwise. She had already bought into their propaganda. The movie gave me no reason to think she had any interest or suspicion against the Kree. Awful, awful plot device. Then again - so is she...

What war were they fighting? Chasing some skrull refugees around? Sounded like a fake war, one to make kree feel like there were threats, when the threats were pretty limited.

She so "bought" into the kree stuff that it literally took 8 seconds to convince her otherwise?

1 hour ago, krighton said:

Ive heard talk of Brie being replaced...those going to see it are probably people having super hero movie withdraw and wanting some clues about End Game...

Can't imagine Captain Marvel being anyones favorite character, so milk toast.....they'd be better off going with the A-Force Captain Marvel...maybe drop in a few of those characters or Miss America as a love interest.

Yeah, from 'unknown' sources. Par for the course from people who want to hate it because she's a powerful female. 

There's only one thing Marvel's reading and that's the film will make over a BILLION at the box office. They can't stop THAT.

Those sources, the same one's who said Kathleen Kennedy would be replaced, will be wrong here again, as not one studio gives two chits about what comic book nerds think, especially one's rooted in hatred. 

This is why I can't stand to be a part of this hobby anymore, is because of people like this. Completely made up story, with no verifiable proof, done as propaganda and passed along on the internet by people like you.

Just now, the blob said:

What war were they fighting? Chasing some skrull refugees around? Sounded like a fake war, one to make kree feel like there were threats, when the threats were pretty limited.

She so "bought" into the kree stuff that it literally took 8 seconds to convince her otherwise?

Carol was on Hala for 6 years, so yeah, she obviously bought into their propaganda. It took some stern convincing for her to think otherwise. Without her appearance on Earth, you could consider her as much a Kree Radical as Ronan was.

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:
6 minutes ago, the blob said:

But the infinity stone was in the lab, not the jet that blew up. that's what's a bit confusing to me.

How would it power the jet if it were in the lab?

I think they found out a way to make batteries that store the energy of the tesseract.  The same thing essentially happened in Captain America First Avenger when Red Skull made Nazi guns and tanks (and planes?). 

28 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Saw it with the family this weekend. We all liked it. I wasn’t blown away, being a little fatigued with the superhero superaction superCGI genre at the moment. I feel the need to watch a movie showing real people doing real things. So this week I’m thinking about putting The Good, the Bad and the Ugly on deck for family movie night.

About two months ago I discovered that my wife had never seen a single spaghetti western. Promptly purchased all of them on Amazon digital and we spent the next two weekends watching every one (and the Outlaw Josey Wales because why not). We loved it. Definitely a nice change of pace from super-hero movies if you find yourself burnt out with that genre.

1 minute ago, RedRaven said:

About two months ago I discovered that my wife had never seen a single spaghetti western. Promptly purchased all of them on Amazon digital and we spent the next two weekends watching every one (and the Outlaw Josey Wales because why not). We loved it. Definitely a nice change of pace from super-hero movies if you find yourself burnt out with that genre.

Nice story, but, what in the hell is a "spaghetti western"..?

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:
4 minutes ago, the blob said:

Carol was on Hala for 6 years, so yeah, she obviously bought into their propaganda. It took some stern convincing for her to think otherwise. Without her appearance on Earth, you could consider her as much a Kree Radical as Ronan was.

She bought into their propaganda, BUT I think it was pretty clear that A)  The Kree probably didn't know the full extent of her power, and genuinely wanted her to learn to master her emotions before letting her unleash it all, and B)  Even if she bought into the propaganda, clearly they would have had concerns her real memories might come back, potentially making her a threat.  Also C) I'm sure they would have liked to study Carol, and that restraining bolt would almost certainly provide other biometric data that they could potentially learn from.

It's not like they replaced her whole life with a full and happy backstory.  I think it was very reasonable to keep her power restricted.  For all we know, it helped keep her real memories at bay too. 

Also, I think if she doesn't get her mind played with by the Skrulls AND she doesn't actually go back to earth (where obviously she'd have more memories to jog), the illusion wouldn't have been broken so easily.